Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dev revisits the 5YL era (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Dev revisits the 5YL era
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll be back on this shortly.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
# 37

This issue falls into the realm of “Why not?” Why not make Thom (Star Boy) Kallor the manager of a baseball team? Why not make former sexpot Nura (Dream Girl) Nal an overweight high seer of Naltor? Why not have a villain (Starfinger III) conspire to fix the game?

This issue harkens back to the ‘60s and ‘70s, when comic books could be fun just for the sake of it. Remember the all-baseball issue of one of those DC anthologies? Remember the gorillas that seemed to be everywhere in the DCU? Remember when Superman took on football players who threw footballs that created an energy barrier? For all the brouhaha about comic books “growing up” (which some misinterpreted to mean becoming all doom and gloom), this fun aspect was always part of what made comics so appealing to kids of all ages.

That isn’t to say that there are no stakes involved here—there are. Thom learns too late that one of his star hitters—a gorilla-like being who must wear a “handicapper belt”—has been given a tampered belt that goes off at a key moment, allowing him to literally slam one out of the park and win the championship. Does Thom allow his team to accept a victory they didn’t earn? He’s a former Legionnaire—what do you think?

Although the story isn’t significant, it is well told. The Bierbaums ably set Thom up as a “bear scout”—Nura found him boring, as does his own wife (the owner of Thom’s team, the Dreamers). Thom is a good sod who cares about his players but can’t say no to them. He even allows one pitcher to play with an injured arm. Yet he also believes that “batball” players are role models. (Ironic, isn’t it, that Thom has gone from being a super-hero to nurturing sports figures as role models? Doubly ironic in the era of tainted sports stars such as Tiger Woods.)

In short, Thom is a milquetoast who has to make a very difficult decision once he learns the game is fixed. But he makes the right choice and risks everything—the championship, perhaps even his job—to make his team earn their victory. To his credit and theirs, they do.

If only real life worked this way.

But then comics have never been about portraying real life. They have been about many things; at their best (and the Legion typifies this), they show us possibilities.

The portrayal of Nura is less convincing, but she’s mainly a bit player here. She comes off as a madam with a ridiculous hairstyle, gigolo aides, and uncharacteristically crude dialogue (“. . . pretty damned thrilled to see you again, Thom”). Nothing remains of the smart and sexy Dream Girl who embodied the paradox of leading the Legion while worrying over a broken fingernail.

The Bierbaums are superbly assisted by penciller June Brigman and inker John Dell, who mostly abandon the nine-panel grid for more conventional (e.g., varied) panel layouts.

A few other plotlines are also introduced. Imra gets “zapped” by an intruder while putting her new twins to bed. The SW6 Valor takes off in a time bubble for 2278 to see if it’s feasible for the other young Legionnaires to return to their own time. (I believe I’m correct in assuming he never returns; this scene sets up both his own Valor comic and the Valor-less Legionnaires title.). The adult Brainiac 5 goes to earth on a mysterious mission.

Keith Giffen, in one of his periodic snits with DC, is nowhere to be found among the credits of this issue. He will return next issue to say goodbye for good with one of the most controversial finales ever.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I was going to post a review of # 38, but interest in this topic seems to have declined. Here, instead, is a link to page nine of this thread, in which the destruction of earth and related 5YL matters are discussed.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
nah i'm sure people still love going back and reviewing the 5 year gap..hell we need some resolution [Smile] keep going.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't stop. I've been a bit busy for lengthy comments but I'm definitely reading each post. #38 is a unique comic. I want a full length He Who Wanders review and Dev Em insights !!

[ February 24, 2010, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I had a few weeks of big studying for a test and some sick kids, so not as much time to read.

I'll be picking up again this coming week hopefully. There's still a lot of cool stuff to come, and some real bleh stuff.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I knew everyone was probably busy with other things, but lack of feedback does make me wonder if anybody still cares. (What can I say? I'm a spoiled writer! [Wink] )

Thanks for letting me know that people are still reading.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

# 38.

How does one separate the legend of Giffen’s swan song from the reality? How does one give it a fair review after all this time?

Few issues in Legion history have polarized fans as much as # 38: fans either love the poignant depiction of earth’s destruction or they deride it as an ill-conceived move that drove the final nail the coffin of the pre-boot LSH. While reviewing the comments on the above thread to which I linked, I discovered that fans who already liked 5YL tend to fall in the former camp while those who disliked it fall in the latter. Probably no review is going to sway either side or provide fresh insights, but here goes a try.

My initial reaction upon re-reading this issue reminded me of my first reaction back when: I dislike the method of telling stories with only one large panel per page. This method, which I believe was popularized by “The Death of Superman” story back in 1992 (the same year that # 38 was published), is sometimes used for stories of great magnitude (or at least stories meant to capture media attention)—as if the very large panels and prose text on the side somehow legitimize the story. The creators seem to be telling us that this story transcends ordinary super-hero fare and approaches Literature (with a capital L). This story is Important. You need to pay attention.

However, I always feel as if I’m being cheated by the absence of artistic story telling in such comics. I read comics for slightly different reasons than I read prose novels. The synergy between art and writing creates a unique form of story telling that no other medium —not even films—can match. Much of the story in comics happens in the reader’s mind, which is guided along by sequential images; that is, the reader has to work to understand the story more than films typically allow while enjoying the benefits of a visual medium not available in prose. Stripping a story down to one panel per page destroys the uniqueness of comics story telling by subordinating the art to the text instead of relying on their collaborative qualities. Such comics look to me like little more than sophisticated picture books for children.

This is true even of # 38, although the images are beautifully rendered and the text is well paced and moving (particularly Devlin’s commentary on page 1 about life being fair until our actions make it unfair). Once again, the biggest flaw of this story—which was also the biggest flaw of “Terra Mosaic”—is that the stars of this comic, the Legion of Super-Heroes, are virtually absent, dwarfed by events beyond the scope of their abilities to influence. Sure, both Brainiac 5s are present to announce earth’s imminent destruction and explain the causes (though their explanation comes in the form of Devlin’s summary rather than in their own words), but, otherwise, we’re treated to a single panel each of a few SW6 Legionnaires and a few members of the older team mourning earth’s destruction. (To be complete, we also get a panel of Jacques weighing a heavy decision while Troy looks on, and two panels of Devlin writing the text and then mourning.) Most of the images depict the destruction of earth cities, the preparations for evacation, the survival of domed cities blasting off from earth and linking up in space, and the transportation of those cities into the Buffer Region. When people appear in the story at all, they are in the form of huddled masses watching the events on viewscreens or doomed masses left behind to accept their fate.

Again, such images are beautifully rendered, and most are filled with emotion. However, I can’t help feeling distanced from the story—as if I’m watching it from afar instead of experiencing it. Giffen and crew strive to overcome this distance by using Devlin as our viewpoint character—everything happens through his eyes as he writes an account of earth’s destruction. But therein lies another flaw: We are being told this story instead of being shown it. (Rule No. 1 of story telling: Show, don’t tell.) By depriving us of other characters’ reactions—the denial, the fear, the false hope, the panic, the final acceptance—Giffen and crew have also deprived us from partaking of this journey ourselves. Instead, we have someone interpret it for us, and that’s not the same experience.

(One sterling example of a missed opportunity: We are told that “thousands of onlookers” refused to evacuate their homes when the ancient domes were activated to cover the cities. Those onlookers were “crushed.” We could have gotten to know one such person and come to understand why he or she had chosen to die in this manner.)

As with most of 5YL, I don’t have a problem with the destruction of the earth itself. It was a bold move that (all things considered) was well handled. For example, Giffen and crew wisely chose to tell the story in one issue rather than having it play out for months. The sudden destruction of earth reminds us of our own mortality and how our lives can change irrevocably in one instant. It also reminds us that such changes can occur because of decades and even centuries of irresponsible choices. The decisions we make today—as individuals and as a society—affect not only us but everyone around us, even our descendents far into the future.

In The Legion Companion, Giffen admits that he destroyed earth as a “temper tantrum”—a parting shot at DC, whose editorial interference and lack of support undermined the story he wished to tell. While this comment sounds childish and appears not to take into consideration the burden the destruction of earth might place upon his successors (the Bierbaums), it is to Giffen’s credit that the story is well thought out, purposeful, and significant. In spite of the drawbacks of telling the story with only one panel per page, these qualities still shine.

[ February 25, 2010, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue # 34, Oct 92 -

While a lot happens this issue, it feels kind of flat to me. There are so many balls in the air here that need to be wrapped up and/or advanced. While they touch on a lot of them...the whole of the story is kind of disappointing.

McCauley is a slime, and will help the Earth for a price.

Vidar ends his Dark Circle alliance.

Bounty, Circe and Sussa spend use up three pages to plant a computer virus.

Laurel and Rokk are recovering.

Sean is helping the SP's and the resistance fight the Dominators. I find it a bit odd that nobody seems the slightest bit interested that Shvaugn.Sean just changed genders. Ah well.

Sade killed Grinn...and gives Lar a verbal smackdown with one sentence. Even though he is right in his thoughts. Jan makes the same comments later about not saving the planet himself and allowing Earth to stand again on it's own...while helping as needed.

Pinnacle Command is captured.

The most disturbing thing in the issue is Dirk breaking out of his pod...clearly deluded.

Text pieces give us a letter from King John to the Legion.

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue #35, Early Nov 92 - Sun Boy meets Sun Boy (Plus the Legion is now Bi-weekly)

A good issue that essentially wraps up the Terra Mosiac, even though next issue proclaims it is the conclusion to the story. There are good things about this issue, as well as some "it's about time" moments.

The thrust of the issue is the battle for Earth, which in one of those "it's about time" moments, the Legionnaires and Legion actually help out. Why they were not put in play previously is beyond me, but ah well. There ae some great moments here, as well as some gut wrenching ones.Watching Colossal Boy and Ultra Boy take out Dominators was great. Watching humans get mowed down like grass in a field...not so much. It does illustrate the horrors of was and what an oppressive regime will do to try to retain it's power.

Jacques is named President of Earth...he's come a long way since his intro as a scared big brother trying to help save his sister.

Dirk is found, and attacked, by his younger counterpart and friends.

This issue wraps up a lot of story lines that have been plodding along, and next issue takes care of several more.

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue #36, Late Nov 92 - Bounty vs. Sade

An overall great issue that really can get to you. Wraps up a lot in one issue.

Main thrust of the issue is two fold. Resolutions to Dirk's situation, as well as who Bounty really is and why she's been acting this way.

The whole dirk/Circe arc comes to a close here in a way that I did not see coming back when I first read this issue. I think that overall, this was handled very well...as you could finally see that Circe really loved Dirk and knew that they were both beyond the help of those around them. Very touching and sad scene of their final fates.

The cover says that the battle you've been waiting for is happening in this issue. Bounty vs. Sade (never liked that name for a comic character. I always picture an atttractive singer). I was never waiting to see these two fight, and I thought the fight was a bit overdone with violence. It did bring the Bounty character to an end and brought Dawnstar back to the fold.

I, like HWW really had no issue with what was done to Dawny ove the course of this series. The wings, different attitude. There were hints dropped in previous issues though: Issue 10 had Jo questioning Jan if he didn't remind her of someone. He is cut off before he finishes and is promptly sent back in time by Roxxass. In issue 11, Brainy wonders what her game is, what she is up to. There is also mention of unexplained scar tissue.

There was setup for the reveal...but there should have been more done with it. Obviously Brainy knew but was apparently under the inpression she knew what she was doing. Jo knew, or at least had some idea before being sent on his way...and maybe he forgot about it once he got back, since I do not really remember them interacting after that point.

There does seem to be a bit of "well, so what" from Rokk and Brainy once the entity leaves her. Quite odd, but things are winding down for the TMK team at this point, so I think the characters suffered a bit while trying to wrap up as much as possible.

One other thing that bothered me was that nobody else seemed to have any clue as to who she was. I wonder back to the fact that outside of Drake, I really do not remember Dawny hanging around with anyone else very much.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
The thrust of the issue is the battle for Earth, which in one of those "it's about time" moments, the Legionnaires and Legion actually help out. Why they were not put in play previously is beyond me, but ah well.

While reading through # 38, I noticed how incidental the Legionnaires seem to be to the "larger story." It's almost as if Giffen wasn't interested in them so much as he was in other things. The Dominators' leader, for example, exhibits much more personality than most of the heroes do.

Tellingly, it's after the Bierbaums take over that the focus of the book returns to the Legionnaires.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue 37, Early Dec 92 - Thom is back...back again.

Relatively boring issue...to me at least. After the events of the last few issues, I suppose it's a nice diversion, and I thinnk I enjoyed it much more when read initially. Not knowing what was coming in the next issue makes this one more enjoyable.

HWW sums the Thom story up aptly above a few posts.

One part I will comment on is the portrayal of Nura. I have never been a fan of Nura. But even I thought that her turning into this was a bit excessive.

Imra is taken in this issue by some unknown assailant.

Valor is sent back in time to see what happened in 2978, and if the rest of the Legionnaires should venture back there.

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue #38, Late Dec 92 - The End

I actually liked the story as presented here. One of the things that I agree with HWW on totally is the lack of Legion involvement in the story itself. Although we do see things next issue in flashback form, there could have been more in this issue. Again, there seems to be too much story to fit in these pages...which is an interesting counter point to todays comic, where they will focus on one scene for pages at a time. Visually stunning at times, but makes for little story in some cases.

The entire Terra Mosiac, and to a certian point the entire run up to this point, seems to suffer from too many ideas and not enough space. A story of this magnitude could have easily gone on for many more issues. The Legion, Legionnaires and even the SUBS and resistance could have filled a year or two worth of stories themselves simply during the Terra Mosiac story line alone.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. We have what we have in these comics, and the end result is actually a very stirring account of Earth fighting for itself and gaining their victory but at the ultimate cost.

Earth is gone...where do we go now.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I do some detailed reviews and there's lots of other great comments from Legion WOrlders about the Tom and Mary issues that followed Keith's departure:

Let's talk Tom & Mary

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.