Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya! (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  93  94  95   
Author Topic: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll throw my hat in the teaching ring too. I teach English at the high school level. I've just finished a unit on Oedipus Rex where I covered ancient Greek theatre history and tragedy and now I'm delving into Hamlet. Anybody got anything on 11th century Danish history?
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Hamlet? It's not as much fun as the Legion?

I worked on a set for Hamlet once and the director was a right woos! The costumes were sumptuous though.... hmmmm very nice.....

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Quis, I'm glad you like history too! I like They Might be Giants a lot, and am only starting to get into them. The song "Istanbul not Constantinople" is what really did it for me, it's one of the catchiest songs I've heard. In the last two years, I've gone through a phase where I've started listening to more underground type bands that have come out in the last decade (as opposed to earlier decades) including Flogging Molly, which you may be familiar with from Boston (an Irish punk band). I love many different genres of music, especially stuff like these two bands.

Haven't heard of Flogging Molly.

They Might Be Giants also do a song about James K. Polk. (one of my favorites of theirs)
In 1844, the Democrats were split
The three nominees for the presidential candidate
Were Martin Van Buren, a former president and an abolitionist
James Buchanan, a moderate
Louis Cass, a general and expansionist
From Nashville came a dark horse riding up
He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

Austere, severe, he held few people dear
His oratory filled his foes with fear
The factions soon agreed
He's just the man we need
To bring about victory
Fulfill our manifest destiny
And annex the land the Mexicans command
And when the votes were cast the winner was
Mister James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

In four short years he met his every goal
He seized the whole southwest from Mexico
Made sure the tarriffs fell
And made the English sell the Oregon territory
He built an independent treasury
Having done all this he sought no second term
But precious few have mourned the passing of
Mister James K. Polk, our eleventh president
Young Hickory, Napoleon of the Stump

[ October 21, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq ]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ha, Quis, I never really listened to that song before, but I'm going to make it a point now!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
BU--

Er, can't really bump when it's already there! [Frown] [Wink]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looks That Kill Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looks That Kill Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Name: Paul MacNeil
Where you live: London, UK
What you do: Service Desk Supervisor

Legion info: Started reading the Legion back in the 80's. My first issue was Lord Romdurs Castle but I didn't really go mad for ituntil the Levitz era (a golden age in general for DC comics). I loved the TMK era but really didn't like the post ZH stuff until DnA came along. Fave Legionnaires are (Levitz era) Invisible Kid 2, Blok, White Witch, Element Lad, Dawnstar, Dream Girl, Magnetic Kid, Tellus & Quislet (TMK era) Rokk, Kent Shakespear, Dragonmage, Andromeda, Spider Girl, Element Lad, Veilmist (post ZH) Cosmic Boy, Brainiac 5, Shikari, Magno

Other things you like: I like sci-fi/fantasy/horror films and the odd weepy. Musicaly I like all sorts but tend towards indie/alternative stuff and I'm a big Pratchett fan. I also have a bit of a weakness for cartoons that have their own toys. Especially Pokemon and Transformers!

From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galadhran
Empire Spy

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Galadhran   Author's Homepage   Email Galadhran         Edit/Delete Post     
Just checking in... It's 3am my time. Will post more when I am actually more human [Smile]
From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galadhran
Empire Spy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Galadhran   Author's Homepage   Email Galadhran         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok I changed my mind... might as well do it now when I am pretending to be human!

Name: Shanton (which bloody rhymes with Clinton)
Where you live: Melbourne, Australia (where Kylie grew up)
What you do: Lecturer (or Manipulator of Young Minds)

Legion info: Started reading the Legion back in the 70's. My first issue was stuff from my Dad's treasure trove... no idea where it is but have loved Imra Ardeen ever since! Then stopped reading comics for a long time... Vaguely remember the Prophet and Sensor Girl and Polar Boy era, then there was the 5 Year thingy which I didn't have the patience to follow... avoided Archie Legion but have read ever issue at least 10 times since LOTD! Fav Legionanires? Imra and Tasmia since forever, and also more recently... Shikers and Jazzy. As you can see... we're on first names basis.

Other things you like: To quote Paul "I like sci-fi/fantasy/horror films and the odd weepy". One of me fav all time novels trilogy thingy is "Daughter of the Empire" by Feist and Wurts. I sing, produce and present a radio show, entertain myself and am generally a LURKER!

From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't a huge fan of Daughter of the Empire, but I did like Magician: Apprentice and Master (I was a fan of Pug, I guess), as well as a couple of the later books in that series. Haven't read them in AGES, though...

[ October 31, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Crujectra ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looks That Kill Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looks That Kill Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Galadhran:

But you're on the otherside of the planet! given the time difference who knows how old we really are [Wink]

[ October 31, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Looks That Kill Lad ]

From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Shanton, hope you're enjoying it here!

And Paul, I haven't really 'seen' you yet on the boards, hope everything is good!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Looks That Kill Lad:
Especially Pokemon and Transformers!

We really ought to talk more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galadhran
Empire Spy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Galadhran   Author's Homepage   Email Galadhran         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
quote:
Originally posted by Looks That Kill Lad:
Especially Pokemon and Transformers!

We really ought to talk more. [Big Grin]
Pokemon is Cool... I have a personal stuffed Charizard... only coz my friend cou;dn't find a Charmander... my ALL time fav Pokemon!!
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
PIKA PIKA!

Paul, where are you? [Smile]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I just realized I haven't done this yet.

Name: Juan

Where you live: Vancouver, Canada. I was born and raised in Medellin, Colombia, so yes, Spanish is my native language. I also lived for seven years in Germany, a country that I really like.

What you do: I'm in the very last stages of a PhD in Biology (in fact I defend my thesis November 12th). So instead of studying, I post in Legion World. Essentially I use molecular data to try to understand evolutionary relationships of plankton species.

Legion info: My mother bought me my first comic book when I was five: the first issue of Colombia's must successful superhero, Kaliman (I always think it's quite a shame that North Americans have not yet been introduced to Kaliman, it's a very different style from super-heroing. I should tell you about it sometime... But I digress). My father bought me my first issue of the Legion (Wildfire's spotlight, late seventies) during a trip to the US. Big mistake, I bugged him for more ever since (I always told him that comic books were really helping me to improve my English. They may have...). My favorite era: Levitz/Giffen/Lightle/LaRocque. I am not a vehement opposer of v4, but I certainly prefer what came earlier. Hated Legion on the Run, and for that reason was not too disturbed with the reboot. The current era is quite good in my opinion, but I'm always left feeling that it could be SO much better, there are so many layers that exist in the Legion's mythos. Oh well, apparently there aren't enough fans to keep more than one title afloat, so I'll just be happy with what I can get...

Other things I like: When I was growing up I liked three things very much: languages, geography/history and biology. I guess I like things that help me understand this planet of ours. As you probably can guess, I absolutely LOVE travelling (which explains why it took me so long to finish my PhD. Some things for others, right?). More recently I'm finding myself interested in understanding the bases of the world's religions, not because I'm in any way religious myself, but because it helps me understand so much of the way people think, the way people express themselves through art, etc. It's really quite fun.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  93  94  95   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.