Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
New uniforms again already? In case those yahoos at DC haven't figured it out yet, what this book really needs is more than 5 minutes worth of continuity before it undergoes major changes all over again.

I like the new artistic style though. It's fresh and new.

What if this is the Karate Kid from Countdown? Maybe they killed his younger version and the older one joined this Legion as a mentor type figure. Sort of like when the SW6 Cham died and was replaced by his adult counterpart back in the post TMK days.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Querl Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Querl Dox   Email Querl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
In an interview given to Wizard about his choice to work for DC and on LSH in particular:

quote:
Did they have a project in mind when they announced it to you?

MANAPUL: It was a weird process because initially I was supposed to work on three other things, which I didn’t feel was the right thing for me to do. When I decided to work on Legion it coincided with the contract, and I decided if I was going to do an ongoing book it just made more sense to do the contract, and we both agreed that that was probably a good idea. Initially there were a couple of books pitched my way, and while they were kind of interesting and I would have gotten to draw one of the characters that I’ve loved since I was a kid, not to tease anyone, but the writer who will be doing the book that I’m working on is more the bigger announcement.

From: Saline, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Querl Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Querl Dox   Email Querl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, look what i found:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9238/smalllosh37doublecover5ug4.jpg

The pencilled version is too big so i'm only putting the link.

It seems that some people in France (people that i know and that are in the edition business), friends of Francis it seems, know the name of the writer already!

They are saying that the name of the writer will surprised a lot of people, but that long term fans of the series will be showing a lot of enthousiasm, like Francis!
According to that messages board, the pitch is very good!

Before you say anything, i want to add that i know this person, and that it's not someone that is throwing rumors like that for fun on messages boards, just to be interesting.

[ August 16, 2007, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Querl Dox ]

From: Saline, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
But they're keeping mum on the actual name? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

In any case that sure sounds like Shooter they're describing. We'll see...

Has Francis or DC said when the announcement will be made?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
here's a side by side comparison of Binary and this Saturn Girl design.
 -
(can't get it to show up so here's the link. aaargh.)
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sgbiwh3.jpg

I don't even know who that is, so it doesn't bother me that Saturn Girl's costume looks like that. I mean, Imra's not on *fire* like the other girl...

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that it's still in keeping with Saturn Girl's previous looks and that it's a nod to Cockrum makes me not mind the similarity (and it's not like Ms. Marvel is Binary anymore).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Querl Dox:
Hey, look what i found:

I actually posted that back here the other day.

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
But they're keeping mum on the actual name? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

In any case that sure sounds like Shooter they're describing. We'll see...

Has Francis or DC said when the announcement will be made?

Last I heard was that they might announce the writer at Baltimore.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
A small clarification:

Dave Cockrum didn't design the pink bikini. It was designed by a Legion fan (can't find the name at the moment) and debuted in the last new Legion story in Action before the publishing hiatus and the jump to Superboy.

Of course, Cockrum didn't CHANGE the costume again, even though it was brand new. Wonder if he liked it?

Binary might have been one of Dave's last great female costumes, done in the early 1980s during the first "Brood" storyline--a very simple but powerful look.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Querl Dox
Applicant

Oops! Sorry Lightning Lad! I read all the posts, but i missed that.

Lard Lad: no, i don't know who the writer is! And i'm as impatient as anybody here!

If it was revealed at Baltimore, it would be good, but i doubt it. But you never know...

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I heard that the new writer is going to be Jessica Fletcher, and they are renaming the title "Legion, She Wrote" [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never said these word before -- "I'm really looking forward to going to Baltimore."
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
hey guys I think they will be announcing the writer in the next 3-4 weeks. That's the most I can say. And sketchlad thanks for the side by side it does look pretty similar! However the costume I was trying to design it after was the pink bikini. I basically just covered the flesh part with pink and made the "bikini" part white to relate to the current colors.

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
A small clarification:

Dave Cockrum didn't design the pink bikini. It was designed by a Legion fan (can't find the name at the moment) and debuted in the last new Legion story in Action before the publishing hiatus and the jump to Superboy.

Of course, Cockrum didn't CHANGE the costume again, even though it was brand new. Wonder if he liked it?

Binary might have been one of Dave's last great female costumes, done in the early 1980s during the first "Brood" storyline--a very simple but powerful look.

-
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow... I had forgotten that story. That was the one with "Saturn Lad" and "Prince Projectur", right?

Pozr... I never caught that until just now [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Wow... I had forgotten that story. That was the one with "Saturn Lad" and "Prince Projectur", right?

Pozr... I never caught that until just now [Wink]

That's the one. Last Action appearance, #392.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.