Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Nice. Not too thrilled by Ultra Boy.

The costume or the steroids?

Same KK. I don't envision him as a "power" guy as he's depicted here. Val's more of a finesse player.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Ummmm...me likey some Francis Manapul Legion! I LIKE wide lightning (but then I like wide ties and lapels, too!). The Saturn Girl outfit may be this year's winner for "squaring the circle" between all her historical outfits. I REALLY like it, but then I've always been a sucker for hip boots. Didn't Barry do a design sketch of Light Lass that looks ALOT like this elegant new version. And Phantom Girl moves ever closer to that most caliente of costumes.

Is Cham wearing chain mail? THAT'S an interesting choice. I rather like Micro Lad's new outfit. I always thought Gym should have a full-body protective outfit--his powers are extremely high-contact physical, but he's NOT invulnerable like some. Great to see Karate Kid in the Cockrum/Bruce Lee outfit. I BET it's a tribute to the soon-to-be-dead-AGAIN Countdown Kid.

As a side-note, isn't it interesting how often the Legion (and some other heroes, notably the X-Men) change costumes? You certainly wouldn't see Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman changing so radically so often, if ever.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Nice. Not too thrilled by Ultra Boy.

The costume or the steroids?

Same KK. I don't envision him as a "power" guy as he's depicted here. Val's more of a finesse player.

The steroid look.

As for KK, I didn't notice his big guns until you pointed it out. It doesn't bother me as much as Ultra Boy's look. But I agree that KK would do good without overly muscular arms.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
As a side-note, isn't it interesting how often the Legion (and some other heroes, notably the X-Men) change costumes? You certainly wouldn't see Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman changing so radically so often, if ever.

Exactly, I find it distractingly unnecessary.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Ummmm...me likey some Francis Manapul Legion! I LIKE wide lightning (but then I like wide ties and lapels, too!).

Well okay but he's going to be getting two issues of use out of these custumes then they'll just sit in a tesserect for 20 years or so. [Big Grin] [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
quote:

Superman doesn't even change his underwear and that's canon.

Fandom supplying costumes are such a part of Legion fandom, I wish they'd get back to doing some of that. There was a vicarious thrill in seeing a letters column idea find its way into a story. 50th anniversary and all that and it doesn't seem as if any of the old stuff, fan participation, is any part of it. They've got it all mapped out.

[ August 11, 2007, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
quote:

You can do that with lesser known characters. Of course that might also help keep the character lesser known.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
That was kind of my point, I think Quis. With most of the X-Men, you can tweak their costumes because they such distinctive physical features -- the visor, the wings, the claws, the tail, the blue fur, the ice shell, the white hair, the green hair, etc.

With a few exceptions, the Legion's just a buncha white kids. You change their look too much and I think you undermine the brand. Having said that, I think MOST of these costumes are tweaks of the current ones, with the exception being Karate Kid, wearing a costume that is getting a lot of exposure in other books.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. Some of them I like a lot, some of them not. (Ooh, that rhymed!)

Kiston's outfit for Val was hands down one of my favorites, so I'm sad to see that go the wayside. I suppose it might have a good story behind it, maybe relating to what's going to happen in Supergirl's title. But if not, then I'm definitely disappointed. But that's just me.

So happy to see Lyle with a real costume, omg. And I really like it, too! Love Brainy's new outfit and its condescension. Plus it looks good. [Big Grin] I notice his microchip thingy was missing, though. I'm still hoping for a story about that.

Never been a huge fan of headgear but Gim works it. I feel like Tinya's cutout is sort of unnecessary (I liked the "p") but... eh. It doesn't take away from the outfit, either. And I wish we could see Projectra's outfit! She's hidden by that darn cape.

Speaking of capes, I do not like Tasmia's at all. Hers was probably my other favorite Kitson design, so... yeah. Again, I could see a good story with it-- something about the champion of her homeworld or what have you but.. I dunno.

Also on capes, glad to see Imra's is gone! I never understood why it was there in the first place. Weird. Hey, did anyone else notice how the white in her costume is like her Saturn bikini outfit? It sort of creeps me out. I don't like the visual personally. It's just kinda weird.

Overall, I like the image it presents. I'll agree with Gary that it is a bit X-Menish (though for the life of me I'd never be able to explain what that means) but that might be a good thing. I think the series will really hang on the writer-- right now the art looks solid enough to me.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey nice catch on Saturn Girl's outfit being a negative image of the bikini outfit.

Maybe the other Legion showed them some old holos during their get together.

I have always hated the "Bruce Lee outfit" both on KK and on the 70s era Marvel martial arts heroes.

Funny that they wouldn't announce the writer at the two big summer cons though. Makes me think its one of two things. Its one of DC's big guys (ie Johns or Morrison) or its someone from outside comics who needs to finish their day job before coming over.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Not in that image, for whatever it's worth:

Dream Boy
Dream Girl
Cosmic Boy
Mon-El
Supergirl

Welcome aboard to Mr. Manapul. Can't tell yet if I like his style as well as Dennis Calero's, but there's certainly nothing wrong with that one picture.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Drawn correctly Garth's lightning always covered his shoulders so I do see the big deal with "wide" lightning. I like the look of most, especially Brainy's Nehru jacket. Perfect for him. What I don't like is the bare-footed Brin. He's gone from trying to be Wolverine to being Beast.

As Gary mentioned, maybe a little to X-Menish but I'll give it a try. Really depends on the writer though. If the two don't click then what does it matter.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh wow. I am sad Dennis isn't full time (maybe we can get a cover on occassion!) but when I saw this guy's art it blew me away.

Energy, dynamic! LOVE THE NEW COSTUMES! Especially Colossal Boy, Saturn Girl, Invisible Kid and Phantom Girl! (gotta make micros of these!)

Don't care for Cham's actually now that I see them all. The rest are amazing.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

So at higher magnification, a few more details penetrate my consciousness:

1) Brainy is wearing the Silver Age forcefield belt, and the symbol is the Brainiac symbol from the Animated Series, right? The comics versions of Brainiac never used that? If so, does this mean Brainiac is changing, and thus Brainiac 5?

2) Gim has brown studded cuffs on his gloves. This seems more Jack in the Beanstalk to me. Oh, and short sleeves.

3) Vi has shorts on now

4) I'm glad Brin's costume finally has some color other than brown verging on black. And, I think switching from Wolverine to Beast is a big improvement.

5) I wonder why Trip's costume HASN'T changed?

6) Cham's costume just makes no sense

7) What if Karate Kid IS the Countdown one?

--------------------

Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Saturn Girl's new costume looks alot like Carol Danver's Binary Costume also a Dave Cockrum design.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a 1024x768 copy.

Click for fullsize image

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.