Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't mind costume changes when there an improvment,but I have seen little improvment since the Dave Cockrum designs.

[ August 11, 2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been staring at this pic off and on for over and hour. I really like it and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I'd love to get a better look at Vi, but I think shorts are a great idea. I'd like to get a better look at Sun Boy and Jeckie, too. I like T-Wolf's new look. I know most people prefer Cockrum's design, but I like his hair shaggier than that. I think I've drawn Saturn Girl in that costume, so I can't help loving that. Interesting colour change for Shady. Not sure what I think of it, although, I wonder if it's intentional. There's been so many colouring mistakes in this series. Brainy's jacket looks great, but the yellow is a little to bright for me.

Interesting glow around the image. Some kind of forcefield? Is anyone else reminded of Coipel? Particularly with Invisible Kid.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The more I look at it, the sillier Gim looks. At some point as he becomes colossal, his head must start shrinking.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
His Ultra Boy is a little Coipel to my eyes. The longer hair, with more rugged features in the face.

There's a bit of a colouring omission. See the lightning lines out of Garth's clenched hand. The colorist decided not to render it.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
the costumes don't look bad. but here's the big question, which design will they use when Mattel releases the LSH wave with a Micro Lad BAF from the new DC Universe line?
From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldGladiators
Life Long Lightning Lad Fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldGladiators   Email EmeraldGladiators         Edit/Delete Post     
For me the Cockrum Lightning Lad uniform is one of the best all time, I thought the Kidson version improved on it a bit not as crazy about this version it is close to but not as good as the original or Kitson's version
Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta say, I'm not a fan. I really loved Barry's designs pretty much across the board and I'm very sorry to see them go. Especially LL's. that was a great redux on Barry's part. The new one is just too blue. Which is something coming from me. 75% of my wardrobe is blue along with my bedroom walls. I like blue, just not unpaired with white on LL's costume. Also, I really dislike the look he's given Brin. One of the things I really liked about WaK's run was that Brin was so humanoid, instead of the Furball decendants he's been ever since '89. He felt like Brin to me again, though with a bit more brains. I'm also dismayed by the 'roid look of Ultra Boy. I've never felt like heroes with super-strength need to be depicted as super-beefy. The strength comes from sources other than raw muscle, so what's the point of them having huge muscles? KK honestly I could almost see, though I'd rather see a more lean, wiry, Bruce-Lee type look where the muscle is honed to perfection rather than pumped indisciminately.

The one costume I really like is Brainy's. It really seems to suit him and I love seeing the return of the belt. I do have the echo the comment above about the chest symbol. I'm pretty sure that's only ever been seen in the cartoon universe. However, since this is just a teaser image, maybe someone will point that out before actual production starts.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
However, since this is just a teaser image, maybe someone will point that out before actual production starts.

Actually this was credited by all the news sources as being the image for #38's cover. That doesn't mean there still isn't time to make changes but I wouldn't be surprised to see it very close to this when released.

Even though I like LL's look I'd much rather see some white added as others have mentioned. This almost looks too leathery, like the stupid outfits in the X-Men movies.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novelty
Stalked by Exnihil

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Novelty   Author's Homepage   Email Novelty         Edit/Delete Post     
The image looks a bit weird to my eyes. I think the proportions are a bit off. Micro Lad's head is way too small for his big fists, IMO and it just looks weird. Ditto with KK.

I like Lyle going back to his big I on a black background costume that he had in post-ZH. And I also like Brainy's new look.

I'm not sure I like the way Tinya now has power girl's costume signature feature. Do we need to show her breasts that way? Also I think E-Lad's costume is way too busy. It's weird, because although Dennis' costume was busier, it always looked better.

Ayla looks as if she could do with a haircut to me. I think she looks weird with hair that length. However I do like shady's hairstyle.

I wonder how much of this is to pander to fans of previous boots. The Cockrum Saturn Girl costume, the KK costume, Lyle's costume...

--------------------
Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm very pleased to see this new artist's first take on the Legion. It will be as dramatic a change from Calero to Manapul as it was from Kitson to Calero, but I must say I do like it overall.

Love Tinya's cut out look.

Lyle finally gets a real costume, and it rocks! (But it does need a headband!)

Although it's a bit hard to make out, I like the idea of shorts for Vi. Can't wait to see it in detail.

Glad to see the return of the classic white costume for Val but Manapul needs to tone down the the overly muscled physique.

Love the headgear on Gim but as was pointed out by someone earlier, the brown padding looks a little odd.

Very much like the new look for Jan. That was one of the few designs of Barry's that just didn't work all that well for me, though I did like the addition of the cape.

Don't care for Jo's features but the costume remains a classic.

Lu hasn't been changed much though there is something about her that looks a bit better to me in the splash page. (Maybe it's the hair coloring? Not really sure.)

Tas doesn't look bad (other than that strange reddish sheen on her cape, which I hope is a coloring mistake) but I liked Barry's design better.

Cham looks a bit weird. He seems to have breasts and appears to have put on a bit of weight. [Big Grin]

Can't really make out too much about Jeckie, Thom or Dirk

Do not care for Garth's new look. I rally liked Barry's design and this one looks like it's missing something...like some white! [Big Grin]

Can't say I really like this new look for Brainy but I like it better than Barry's design. At least he's back in his traditional purple!

I also do not care at all for the Ayla's new redesign. Barry's take on her costume was simply perfect...easily his best costume design and I'm very sorry to see it go. And I don't like her longer hair either.

The last two are by far the two that caused the strongest reactions for me...

I really, really hate seeing Brin depicted as a wolf boy and this is maddeningly close to that look. Fortunately I don't see any fangs or claws but I'm really worried that they just aren't exposed. I thought Barry did a great job of redesigning and redefining Brin and I'm distressed to see what appears to be a retrograde for him. I really hope I'm mistaken. [Frown]

And Imra...wow! I can't believe I'm going to say this since she's always been at the top of my most disliked list, but she looks absolutely awesome. This is certainly one of the best looks the Ice Queen has ever had!

So, there you have it. Individually, I would say this is a mixed bag on the costume changes but overall I like the look and style that I see.

PS: Cos' costume from the sketch of the founders looks very close to his original look. Not sure if that's what he will look like though so I'll reserve judgement until we see him in action again.

Also, I'm disappointed to note that Mysa hasn't joined and that none of the others we've met recently appear to have remained. And where is Dream Boy?

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The padding on Colossal Boy's arms may stem from one of Barry's original desings which had the padding.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I assume Timber Wolf will complete his transition to "Feral Lad" during the Bedard/Calero run -- going by the cover of issue #34. At least he has feet instead of paws.

Three years strikes me as perfect timing for some costumes tweaks. The next artist will tweak back and forth, and so on. It's all fine with me as long as the characters remain recognizable, and distinguishable from their other-earth twins. Maybe they should have kept the Kitson designs for Karate Kid and Colossal Boy. Those two resemble the old KK and CB2 too much.

Brainy and Saturn Girl are by far my favorite reworkings. Cosmic Boy and Dream Boy have never looked better. [chuckle]

Most of them are more appealing than Gary Frank's godawful (imo) new costume for Dawnstar.

I see the "L" belts are back. Not sure how I feel about it. I genearlly don't like anything that promotes uniformity.

Overall, I like it with some reservations, though I'm much more interested in the name of the writer and the new, post-Supergirl direction of the book.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
PS: Cos' costume from the sketch of the founders looks very close to his original look. Not sure if that's what he will look like though so I'll reserve judgement until we see him in action again.

That's an older sketch based on the 2boot characters. It's been floating around for a while.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting [Smile]

I preferred Ayla's old look, she looked cute and energetic there, now she looks more adult and mature and regal - but I preferred her as cute.

I like his Jeckie though, and Lyle's costume might become my fave Lyle costume ever. Might.

I do think Brainy's new look is a good match for him, and like Imra's update.

I don't like Jo/Val on steroids either.

Hm... I also wish we'd see some new characters intro'd, but then that isn't really the artist's job huh? [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm experiencing a mixed reaction. Some of the designs I really don't like. Yet, the overall effect is fascinating. I keep being drawn back to it. I am curious to see more. It does make a statement. DC does not appear to be giving up on the Threeboot Legion.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.