Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
... but I wonder why L-Lad and Sun Boy are the only ones who get to flash their energy all the time. Why not Ultra Boy seething with ultra-energy or Shady surrounded by a dark aura, for example? I'd like to see more of that.

It's not too easy to see, but I think Shady is seeping some dark energy of sorts. (Either that or she's got some really long and active hair all of a sudden.)
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm...
I may like the sketched Ultra Boy, Chameleon, and Light Lass better, but not anyone else in particular.

More important to me is that Brainy didn't end up with the costume he has in the sketch. That makes Triplicate Girl the only hold out in the big-stripe-down-the-middle sort of uniform, and I'd be more than happy to see those done away with forever.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That is a really nice sketch, I'm also a fan of it but agree with APB, I'm glad Brainy didn't end up with that costume. I like the one in the color panel on the first page of the thread.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
It is a nice sketch. I'm more interested in the meta-message, though--that DiDio would choose a sketch of the Legion. Higher profile, indeed.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longevity Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longevity Lad   Email Longevity Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Quis--put a band on that boy! All things considered, nice intro to the new artist. Sorry to not see Mon-El on the roster, though.
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
In terms of body types, I do wish Ultra Boy and especially Karate Kid were less beefy (since their powers have nothing to do with their physiques, there's no reason someone like Star Boy couldn't be built). Also, I don't think we've ever seen Ultra Boy "seething" with Ultra Energy before. It's an interesting thought though.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have a problem with Ultra Boy being beefy. I've always imagined him, usually on a team with Superboy, Supergirl or Mon-El, having some overcompensatory urge to bulk up so that he's 'strong' even when using his ultra-energies to move fast or be invulnerable. Unlike the Krypto-mites, he can't depend on his powers to do *everything* for him.

Karate Kid should definitely be leaner, IMO. He looks like a heavyweight boxer, not a martial artist. More Bruce Lee, less Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
the writer wanted Ultra Boy to look more like a middle weight body builder and I agree with him. Considering the fact that he can focus his powers on one thing it's probably gonna tone up and beef up those biceps! Also the writer wanted Karate Kid to be less like Bruce Lee and bring him up a weight class. Also if anyone is interested I've posted a commission I recently did at this past Fan Expo in Toronto of Collosal Boy and Timberwolf on my blog.

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flatulence Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatulence Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
First off, hey y'all. I'm a relatively new member. I've been in lurker mode since I joined, but this topic was worth coming out of the woodwork.

I'm looking forward to your work, Francis. While I was definitely a fan of the art on the LoSH up to this point, your stuff is a breath of fresh air. I like that you've accomplished what you set out to do in really giving each Legion member their own look. I love it when I can tell who a comic character is when they're not wearing their uniform...tweaking the body types of the Legion members is fine by me.

Some random comments on some members: I can see how the brown "padding" on the arms, shoulders and neck of Micro Lad can be an asset to the character...I imagine Gim's in a lot of situations where he's supporting large and heavy objects...the brown padding is functional considering that.

Shadow Lass's color tweaking is also a welcome change. I think it gives the character a pop of color, without being too much of a contradiction to her "covert" power.

I like Timber Wolf's look. As a "feral" type of character, he should have a rugged and earthy look...the messed up hair and bare feet work for me.

Really hope you keep Phantom Girl's bell bottoms. I was born in the 80's and have no desire to ever see them in the "real" world, but they worked for Tinya.

Saturn Girl looks fantastic. I thought her previous look was too "cute"...I like sexy Imra a lot more. I hope the new writer, whoever it turns out being, gives Imra and a personality to match the hot new look.

I'll make Brainy the last character I comment on. His new duds and the slicked back hair suit him perfectly.

Overall, you did a great job with the team. You managed to take iconic looks and make them fresh. I'm really looking forward to your run...the commission was great too.

Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh wow that Colossal Boy/Timberwolf piece rocks!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
I still don't like all that padding on Colossal Boy, but I really like that commission.

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm torn about the commission. I don't like the padding on Colossal Boy either, but I do like the new Timber Wolf look.

My biggest problem from the commission is that I'm expecting T-Wolf to go: "Hey, bub, let's do the fastball special." The way T-Wolf is climbing into Colossal Boy's hand looks a lot like Colossus preparing to throw Wolverine. I can accept the Legion looking more like an X-team in Francis' art, but I really hope TPTB are careful to avoid making T-Wolf seem too much like a Wolverine-clone.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by reckless:

I can accept the Legion looking more like an X-team in Francis' art, but I really hope TPTB are careful to avoid making T-Wolf seem too much like a Wolverine-clone.

for starters T-Wolf would have to appear in about a half-dozen team books, as well as a solo book. as well as a continuing line of mini-series detailing his 'true' origin. that's probably not going to happen any time soon.
From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The T-Wolf/Colossal Boy commission looks great! I don't have a problem with the padding itslef, just the way it continues up the back of his head. It makes it look like he has no neck. Still, nitpicking aside, I'm looking forward to the creative jumpstart this title needs.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
hey thanks for the feedback guys! also don't worry about TW being too much like wolverine, the person who requested the commission asked that they be in a "fast ball special" type of pose.

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.