Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Based on that image, though, SOMEONE (Cockrum?) changed the color of the suit to all pink.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Kurt Busiek would be my DREAM Legion writer. Anyone who could put together all that Marvel continuity together for Avengers Forever would be the absolute perfect choice. It doesn't sound like that's what is about to happen, however. Shooter, eh? I guess there's still some people in the comics business to alienate....Although he would probably push the Legion in a direction I would like to see it head.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Saturn Girl next appeared in that costume in Superboy 184(?) the one about ME Lad and his brother. In some panels in that story it was red, in others pink. In its next appearance (Superboy 190) it was pink throughout and remained that way, though it was more purple on the cover of Sup. 197. The white gloves were also extended and made pink. The white boot stripes and white collar (shown as flesh in the posted scan) were also dropped.

I think the new costume combines her original costume and the bikini one nicely. I hope it stays red. Pink is definitely too girly for someone as no-nonsense as Imra.

[ August 17, 2007, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Kurt and if he was the writer I would be happy! (though I rather wait for the Busiek/Pacheco team up!) Though I think sometimes he's too old school.

Some guys like Morrisson, Geoff Johns, or James Robinson IMO uses the various elements better thus making "almost" everyone happy. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
The fact that it's still in keeping with Saturn Girl's previous looks and that it's a nod to Cockrum makes me not mind the similarity (and it's not like Ms. Marvel is Binary anymore).

Yep. I feel the same.

Even though Cockrum's name is referenced, visually, the only costumes that recall Cockrum's work for me our Saturn Girl, Karate Kid and a bit of Colossal Boy (if he'd lose that ugly brown leather crap) and Phantom Girl.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Querl Dox:
If it was revealed at Baltimore, it would be good, but i doubt it. But you never know...

It's not impossible, actually.

Mark Waid and Paul Levitz announced details of the new series there several years back.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by fjm:
... the costume I was trying to design it after was the pink bikini. I basically just covered the flesh part with pink and made the "bikini" part white to relate to the current colors.

Good to know! Any other costume design decriptions/sketches you'd like to share? Were any characters harder to redesign than others?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
well I really had fun with Timberwolf and Chameleon boy. And it wasn't so much which ones were harder but rather which ones I needed to pull back from. I thought some of Barry's designs were pretty cool so the tougher choices were which ones would get a more drastic change and which ones received just minor tweaks.

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
I've only just seen the new art and I'm rather liking it. There's a sort of Coipel-esque feel to it without it looking like it's just a copy of Coipel (being Coipel-esque is a very good thing in my book by the way). Not sure I like Shday with the reddish cape and Collosal Boy's head looks a little small but that's the only things about any of the redesigns that I have any kind of reservation about, and it's hardly a big one. I actually really like the look of Ayla with her new hair. Cham's new top is interesting and I really like the retro look of Karate Kid. Jeckie is looking pretty cool there as well. It's a really nice clean style overall and the cololuring is very nice. Hopefully we'll get the same bright colours on the book as they are here rather than it just be promo colouring.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Bevis
quote:
Hopefully we'll get the same bright colours on the book as they are here rather than it just be promo colouring.
Amen to that. The coloring over Kitson's work was so deadly dull. Everything looked so drab and lifeless with such pale coloring. I much prefer the bolder brighter colors of this picture.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah Brian Buccellato did an awesome job with the colors. Keep in mind that the colors that you currently see is not the final version. There were a few coloring corrections and swaps in the final version including the addition of the electricity lightning around LLad's hands which was not done during this press release.

Collosal Boys proportions has gotten quite a bit of a response and that was kind of the point. Looking at the current run pretty much every legion member almost has the exact same physique. The writer observed this and asked me to shape up and shape down a few of the characters. So what I did was beefed up a couple of them to differentiate. I always thought Collosal Boy looked kinda weird when he was big because he was still never daunting. I wanted to give him more of an imposing look. I hope that explains a few things [Smile]

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by fjm:
The writer observed this and asked me to shape up and shape down a few of the characters.

Ah, that answers one of my questions -- whether the writer influenced any of your redesigns.

Were there any other changes you wanted to make that were nixed by the writer or editor?

This next question is not directed to fjm specifically, but I wonder why L-Lad and Sun Boy are the only ones who get to flash their energy all the time. Why not Ultra Boy seething with ultra-energy or Shady surrounded by a dark aura, for example? I'd like to see more of that.

Anyway, it's too bad we can't see your Mon-El, Supergirl, Cosmic Boy and Dream Girl. Hopefully, this will be rectified in the near future.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a B&W sketch in this week's DC Nation Page. Looks like an earlier iteration of Francis playing around with the costumes. Though most of Cos is covered up by Dan Didio's "on vacation post it" we do see his hair.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
No offense, but I'm really loving this sketch. I don't think any of the costumes need to be tweaked anymore than they are in the image.

I guess I'm a bigger fan of subtle changes.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I like that sketch alot as well.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.