Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
...Gim has brown studded cuffs on his gloves. This seems more Jack in the Beanstalk to me. Oh, and short sleeves...

I certainly respect your right to dislike the "Jack-in-the-Beanstock" sensibility of Gim's revised costume. However, I must point out that the original costume which has clearly inspired this version was meant to invoke exactly that sort of visual association (I think). In fact, his mom, Marte Allon, once even openly chided him for deliberately striving to create such an impression during the Giffen/Levitz era.

In other words, I guess that I'm saying that I liked this nod to the old continuity.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa... oaky, so yeah, I find this image very X-Mennish. Yes, Arachne, I was right away reminder of the latter Coipel LSH run, certainly NOT a bad thing.

I'm joining the Legion of Lovers of Saturn Girl's revised bikini look. Now if she'll only become a panel-hog again.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
From the top down:

SUN BOY: too tiny to see details, looks like this boot's original outfit.

I think they should revert to the original, or something close- like Karate Kid's.

MICRO/COLOSSAL BOY: What, no shorts?! C,mon... [Smile] Actually, he looks very Imperial Guardsman, to me. The padded stripe seems out of place-- maybe they're actually folded up tents in case of massive emergencies. Gim grows to giant-size, pops open one of the squares and you've got a tent big enough to house a village. I like this look, for the most part.

LIGHT LASS: Nice revision... couldn't they put a feather inside the arrow? Actually, between her and Tasmia, I wish they'd stuck with Ayla for the 'bare tummy' trend. I think her gloves should be white.

ELEMENT LAD: Need a closer view. What is that white bit on his torso? A girdle?

TRIPLICATE GIRL: Is her costume any different? Her hair is. This'll do, if we can't have the 'flip'. Hey- if Ayla and Luornu switched hair-do's, each'd be *perfect*, hair-wise!

BRAINIAC 5: The latest in would-be dictator wear. Vrilification is almost complete.

SHADOW LASS: To me, her costume's color is more brown/grey-- possibly it's just black reflecting Sun Boy's emissions. I hope that's the case, because brown/grey/muddy red doesn't seem the best choice. Need to see more.

CHAMELEON: More androgynous than ever! For a sec, I thought Monstress'd returned. Chain mail fits, in a way. Hmmm. Fits a Durlan. But Cham? Not so sure.

SATURN GIRL: Very creative bridge between all boots. I love that the spiky pony-tail's gone. Never liked that look. Here's hoping some iron-butt attitude's added to her personality mix to match the gestalt-costume.

TIMBER WOLF: I was liking this boot's Brin. Especially costume-wise. This look makes think of Gen 13. Not a fan of the bare feet. Unless he's going to be some sort of shape-shifter, now.

KARATE KID: Is that LIGHTNING SAGA Val, or the Waidboot Armorr? Intriguing...

LIGHTNING LAD: I miss the white, but truthfully, I didn't really notice till y'all pointed it out. I miss the 'sparkly' bit-- Garth's was the only costume in which the attempted futuristic fabrication really worked, IMO. Shame to lose it.

PRINCESS PROJECTRA: For a sec, I thought this was Nura. Can't really tell much, though the behind-the-head piece seems different, if not gone altogether (which would be a good thing).

SHRINKING VIOLET: I dunno-- the short skirt or shorts *look* good, but shrinkers tend to find themselves in more gooey messes than other heroes. Not sure it's practical for Vi. I *think* she's got a new hair-do. Good.

ULTRA BOY: Longer hair, tied back. Bet there's an earring in the ear we can't see. Welcome back, pirate Jo.

PHANTOM GIRL: Don't get me wrong, I think what we see of Tinya looks great (especially the 'normal' flesh tone). But I loved the Kitson update to her costume. I miss the stylized 'P', with matching gloves. That look was elegant. I hope she retains the flares.

I preferred the hair-clips (or whatever they were), to loose hair, too.

INVISIBLE KID: Guys and gals! He's using his power to make the headband invisible! Obviously.

This is sort of like reboot Lyle's costume mixed with Alchemist Jan's. Interesting. I like the rounded dot of the 'i', as opposed to the square from reboot.

The best thing about the pic is the cumulative effect. It has me tantalized, that's for certain.

Here's hoping there's some tailoring to some of the Legionnaire's personalities to go with their sartorial updates, also bringing facets from previous version to the future of the future.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
So Med Boy, the Fee-Fie-Fo-Fum look for Gim is growing on me (ba-dum, bum!). Especially since I was the one who argued he needed more protection being a 60-foot tall non-invulnerable target.

Tamper makes a good catch on the uncolored lightning (Tamper's always SO perceptive). So, if we repeat it often enough, maybe we can make Shady's cloak a coloring mistake. I too will miss Barry's Shady. I hope she stays the bad-ass that Waid and Kitson made her. (Please note that bad-ass does not necessarily imply rude, uncouth b!tch.)

I too really like I-Kid's outfit. It is perhaps an improvement on the 2-boot's awesome uniform. I also like the idea that Phantom Girl's and I-Kid's costumes are both black and white--the Legion's two "wraiths" have a thematic link.

Star Boy's costume looks unchanged, which is a good thing. If anyone tampers with that costume, it's an instant fatwah of death upon them.

E-Lad's outfit really is a puzzle. That white ab thing is either some homage to the original U-Boy belt, or an homage to Cockrum's "up-arrow", or both. That's all I got.

Sun Boy's outfit looks like the Kitson original without the blousy nature of the top. Also, his hair looks like Heat Miser's. Appropriate I guess.

My biggest beef is that there isn't enough green or pink. Why not make Cham's costume green like the cool one on the animated series? Wouldn't Tenzil look awesome in a pink and green thing? Say what you want about Cos, but the man's worn a pink and/or lavender costume for 50 years--I only wear pink when it comes back in style, and even then grudingly.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Does Chameleon have yellow octopus legs?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice picture, not I'm not really impressed. never been a big fan of Manapul. He's good at pin-ups, but his storytelling has always been lacking, I find...

Saturn Girl looks strangely like Binary and the "changed costumes" are hit and miss. Brin with bare toes is ridiculous. The only good thing is that Supergirl is absent.

Been thinking of dropping the book fore a few months now. Depending on who's writing, I may give it a chance, but I'm really not jazzed about it.

I think this version of the legion has outlived its welcome as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Does Chameleon have yellow octopus legs?

That he does.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad to see Cham doing something other than just stretching. That never seemed quite right to me. Duplicating other lifeforms is more his thang

Having him in chain-mail again also seems an odd choice for a changeling.

[ August 12, 2007, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
First impression: Though I like some of the new costumes (Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl... well, OLD costumes in a way!), the artists style looks way too Manga for me. Kind of a mixture between bad Bachalo and Ramos. A little better but way too Manga definitely.

What books did this artist work on before? I seem to have heard his name but I don't know where.....

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
But, a positive note: The characters on the spread look way more dynamic than they ever did with Kitsons clear, but very static art. I could imagine the Mangaesque style to work better for the Legion than in the first Manga age (Jeff Moy!) because they are no longer telling kiddie stories [Smile]

Or so I hope...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
A little better but way too Manga definitely.

I was thinking, Lyle looked a little bit, "speed racer."
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The art makes it look more like an X Book than a Legion book to me.

Not sure I like that at all. We'll see how these changes go over.

yeah i noticed that too, and look how Colossal Boy/Micro lad's costume kind favors Titan from the Imperial Guard.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
Blegh. These designs aren't bad at all, and the artist looks OK (though I agree that his Jo is all wrong), but the Kitson designs were so pitch-perfect, by-and-large, that I'm really sad to see some of them go.

In particular, Saturn Girl's. AAAAGH I want the scruffy bangs and ponytail and short cape back.

Kinda hate the new Colossal Boy look.

Brown on Shady is not right.

This Lightning Lad isn't bad. But it's not better.

I started out hating the midriff look, but now I want to see Light Lass's navel.

Karate Kid's retro-look, like Garth's, is a zero-sum deal. Not bad, not better. But at least it's not worse (i.e., a return to the stupidly impractical Iron Fist look).

I loved Kitson's Tinya. I'm only tolerating this redesign. Not bad, not better.

But hey, there's a lot of stuff I like here.

So glad he left Lu, Jan and Thom alone. These are the best outfits these characters have had, and in Star Boy's case, that's saying something.

And can I get a joy in the morning shout for the return of Dirk in his original Kitson suit? "Here comes the Sun (Boy) and it's all right!"

The new Timber Wolf looks too feral. But the outfit is good. The open toes really is inspired. Violet in shorts is great. Cham isn't bad. Brainy, by far Kitson's worst design, gets what might be his best look yet.

And Invisible Kid at last has a costume. HALLELUJAH!!No headband necessary, or even wanted.

Best of all, the LSH isn't taking a 20 year step back.

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
For those that say it's X-Menish. I think the reason is because they have a Cockrum influence. Thus, the X-Men are Legiony. [Wink]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No, it isn't Cockrum's X-Men they remind me of. Its the crap X-Men that have been published for the last 10+ years.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.