Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » LOST - season 3 BE WARNED!!! (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  38  39  40   
Author Topic: LOST - season 3 BE WARNED!!!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Definitely one of the best episodes of the series!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
We must not have seen the same episode.

Don't get me wrong, there was some interesting stuff. but not worth an entire episode devoted to Desmond.

[ February 14, 2007, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Watch the part where Kate and Swayer save Carl from Room 23.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I think the episode raised a lot of interesting questions.

There's been an ongoing question since the start of the show what exactly the role of the flashbacks in the storyline is. Are they just the memories that happen to be influencing the character's behavior at the moment? Are they the "monster" scanning the mind of the person? Something else entirely? Was Desmond's post-Hatch "flashback" of the same variety as that of other characters, with the exception that he could act to change things? Was the old lady in the jewelry store a manifestation of the monster, ala Dave or Eko's brother? And how does the "flash-forwards" that Desmond is having connect to the flashbacks?

There's also the tie to the whole "destiny" idea that's been flirted with since the very beginning. Can Charlie's fate be changed? Or is Desmond right in thinking that no matter what he does...?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Eryk, I've been trying to put those ideas into words all day. You summed it up well.

Personally, I would have liked to see more of the other characters (I miss Sayid), but I thought this was a really good episode. One of the Skaters suggested that the old lady was some future version of Penny. It seemed to me that the lady looked a lot like the one talking to Jack in the promo for next week, but I didn't get a good enough look.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Forgot the most important questions: Does Sawyer know what that whiskey was worth? And if so, what's he going to do to Charlie when he finds out it's gone? A guy who's fated to die really ought to be more careful. [Wink]

On a shipper note, the Jaters have a saying "Jate is Fate." You can also compare Desmond's feelings of inadequacy in his relationship with Penny, to Sawyer's feelings of inadequacy in his relationship with Kate. Could lead to some interesting conversations.

--------------------

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Also, the whole episode could have been a dream or some hallucination created by some higher power in order to communicate with Desmond. Not the monster, it's got other methods.

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

I just realized that the guy who plays Penny's dad also plays Bradford Meade in Ugly Betty.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't the old lady from the jewelry store play in that Nicole Kidman movie "The Others"?

If so, kinda ironic, don'tcha think? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was a really good ep, but I like Des. Charlie's fated to die, huh? Interesting, seeing Desmond fight against fate. Can he change the future? Clearly, he wishes he had tried harder before.

It does seem to be a bit of a "rules change" for the series. If it was any other show, I might just assume that it was a dream or hallucination caused by the stress/electromagnetic force, but with the appearences of horses, polar bears, dead brothers, dead fathers, and other odd things going on, could it mean more? Other flashbacks have been just that, but Desmond's vision seems to be something different, mainly because of the jewelry store encounter. Guess TPTB at Lost don't buy quantum theory....

"Pressing that button is the only important thing you ever do?" Harsh.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Oooh! I just realized that there's probably a connection with Eko's death.

Locke saves Eko from the Polar Bears (thanks to a "vision" from the island) only to have him die a short time later. Maybe Eko was fated to die as well, and no matter what Locke did, it was going to happen?

Arachne
Bookworm

Could be. Interesting.

--------------------

UltraStar
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UltraStar   Email UltraStar         Edit/Delete Post     
I was thinking that Desmond got hit on the head and really did go back to his past and relived it with the opportunity to change things even though those changes may have been meant to happen.
Back then he didn't have psychic powers he just remembered things as they happened to him first time around.
He gets hit again and returns to the present.

Now while in our present Desmond is actually a Des from the future who was at some future point hit on the head again and came back to the past again but that past is now our present and he remembers an alternate version of events that happened the first time he lived it.
He might get hit again and not be able to see the future because the present Des won't have that ability.

I think I just confused myself... [Hmmm?]

--------------------
Go conquer the universe for me...for the god whose image you have carved your own homeworld as a monument.Go... for your master...
For Darkseid!

From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
i believe its alternate realities, charlie was there in the past and i dont know if thats an actual part of his past life or a part of this other reality. I think i am reading to much into this.
Each time desmond changes fate, wouldnt it be a new reality?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's possible to read too much into all this (duh?). The common thread of the show is "I'm not worthy." Look at Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Jin, Charlie, Eko, Anna Lucia, Hurley, Shannon, Sayid, Desmond, etc. IF you send Des back in time, he's not going to make the same mistakes again, right? WRONG! He HAS to. Not just to save the world and maintain some shred of a narrative thread for the show. He has to because the point of the show is for the characters to suffer for their lack of self-worth. Desmond hasn't really conquered his inferiority complex yet, has he? Turning the key was heroic, but it was also the ultimate way to run away from Penny, too. He has a ways to go before he can stand before Whidmore and spit in the old bastard's eye.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  38  39  40   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.