Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to like...but secretly hate! (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to like...but secretly hate!
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Love Indian food, but I hear ya on the Thai food. A friend *loves* the stuff, and invites me constantly, and I've tried at least a half-dozen dishes. It's either hot enough to leave blisters on your soul, or utterly bland and tasteless.

For me, it's Irish food. We have an Irish pub/eatery in town that's all the rage, and everything I've had there is utterly bland.

My goodness, how far do you have to get from England before the food has flavor? Even *borscht* is better than that stuff!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Beef.

I haven't eaten it (other than an occasional bite to realize I still feel the same about it) in about 20 years. It's heavy, it gets caught between the teeth and, more often than not, is greasy. I don't eat pork, either, for similar reasons--and, yes, that does include bacon. Actually, bacon is the biggest problem because it often is found in foods that really should be meatless (soups, salads, vegetables dishes).

I do eat poultry and seafood, so I don't consider myself a vegetarian, although I'm very fond of vegetarian meat analogues. Quorn is fantastic.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ironically, I'm eating a beef sandwich while reading this. [Eek!]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
Thai/Indian food.

Ok, ok I know this is purely a matter of personal taste.
Sorry but aside from the odd little thing or two that I've tried and they were, mmm ok, I just don't get it.
My stomach has yet to "jump on the band wagon" I guess! I've tried to enjoy it but I still don't.

Give me my steak and potatoes any day of the week!

A local Thai place by work has a great fried rice with all sorts of vegies mixes in. Really tasty, and you do not need to get it real spicey to get good flavor. I eat that and two of the rice noodle dishes and that's about it.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Love Indian food, but I hear ya on the Thai food. A friend *loves* the stuff, and invites me constantly, and I've tried at least a half-dozen dishes. It's either hot enough to leave blisters on your soul, or utterly bland and tasteless.

Sounds like the restaurant isn't doing it right. [Hmmm?]

I tend to favor the curry dishes and soups, or noodle dishes, and ask for them done "medium" on the seasonings. Seems to work well.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
tilapia

I feel that way about halibut. It's super-popular here with the trend towards "local-vore" eating. But its texture grosses me out. Doesn't matter where or how it's being prepared. I just can't eat it.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Southwest Airlines.

I miss the days when flying was an event. I like being able to reserve my seat ahead of time. I like the little frills that don't really cost that much. I really don't like the cattle call seating. Unfortunately, Southwest has a near-monopoly on one of Houston's airports and Continental on the other. I very much enjoyed my flights on JetBlue when I went to Boston a few years back. Unfortunately, that airline only has two flights a day out of Hobby.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I know I already posted about this subject near the beginning of this thread, but I've got...things...bothering me, and I need to vent.

Comeback Queen Kelly Clarkson's getting a lot of love in another thread here at the Anywhere Machine, and I still hate her with every cell in my body.

Her "singing" consists of braying like a tone-deaf elephant with a hot foot, and she seems to me like she's got no class whatsoever. Her idea of complimenting Adele (who I love) is to say, "I like her so much I wanna punch her in the face."

[sarcasm] Now that's one classy diva for our times. [/sarcasm]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The Big Bang Theory

So, I assume this show is supposed to appeal to me because I get most of the references to geek/nerd culture in it. But these guys just remind me of various uber-geeky friends/acquaintances I've known in real life who I generally try to avoid hanging out with because they annoy the hell out of me if I'm around them too much. So there's really little desire to actually watch a show about them.

(As opposed to, for example, Troy and Abed on Community, who'd I'd totally love to hang out with and act out scenes from Inspector Spacetime!)

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

The film Casablanca.

All its female lead ever does is stand around looking gorgeous and sad. She's so passive that she tells a man in her life to "Do the thinking for us both." In a movie full of strong personalities there's simply nothing about her beyond her lovely face and voice that makes me think any man would be made or broken by her presence or absence.

There's something especially obnoxious about this against the setting of WWII, when there were courageous and daring women IRL who stepped into traditionally "masculine" roles both big and small. Women who didn't just sit back looking gorgeous and letting somebody else "Do their thinking for them."

It's supposed to be this epic love story and yet it fills me top to bottom with nothing but annoyance and resentment. (There's a few other great romantic films where this is a problem, but not to this degree.) Great Love is the core of the film but to me the core is just plain hollow.

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
'Classic' literature.

Faulkner, Dickens, etc. bore the hell out of me. As an English major, I was *supposed* to like this stuff, but As I Lay Dying by Faulkner, was very nearly the death of me. So, so, tedious.

I feel the same way about 'classic' sci-fi or even the most popular books by my favorite authors.

Asimov does nothing for me, and while Zelazny (author of such brilliant stuff as Lords of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness and Isle of the Dead) is my favorite author of all time, all everyone seems to have read by him is his terrible Amber books, which he flat-out admitted to only grinding out to pay the bills.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Those "baby" carrots that are ubiquitous on "healthy" snack trays.

Their texture is wrong-- all weird and styrofoam-y, and they have exactly zero flavor-- like orange iceberg lettuce. Ugh.

I'll stick to "grown up" carrots, thanks. The thinner ones for munching raw or in salads. Or the thicker ones for soups and stews.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Related to Set's post above - Lord of the Rings.

Okay, so it was a forerunner and had an interesting plot. The writing still dragged on and on and on for me. Thank goodness for the movies, because I couldn't bring myself to finish the book.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:

...Comeback Queen Kelly Clarkson's getting a lot of love in another thread here at the Anywhere Machine, and I still hate her with every cell in my body...

I was subjected to that wretched "California Girls" song, and one of her sorry-ass Xmas songs repeatedly over the last two weeks. So I'm with you. The other current diva who makes me want to punch a wall is Rihanna. Both of them just sound like egotistical empty suits incapable of doing anything even remotely interesting.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about that one mega-popular Adele song, either. She's got the vocal chops, I'll grant you, but Holy Hannah that song is paint-by-numbers dull dull dull!

[ June 10, 2012, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the vote of solidarity, Cleome.

"California Girls" was actually by Katy Perry, but I hate her just as much as I hate Kelly Clarkson. I'm not aware of any Christmas songs by either one, so I guess I've been lucky not to hear it. :whew:

Regarding Adele, as much as I like her, I have to say I'm not crazy about "Someone Like You." I think "Rolling in the Deep" is much better. My best friend loves "Someone Like You," though -- it literally almost moved her to tears. [shrug]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.