Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to like...but secretly hate! (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to like...but secretly hate!
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
snip...

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
...with one of Jack Nicholson's most self-indulgent performances (and that's saying a lot.) .

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

That is really saying a lot, since I think just about every performance he has done has been self indulgent.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think he gave some good ones before he won his first Oscar. It was all downhill from there.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Let's get REAL with it.

Kubrick.

Sure, a few *moments* of brilliance...not entire films mind you...(save perhaps Spartacus)....but c'mon. What's with the genius rep? Seriously.

Honestly, Hollywood is such an incestuous old-boy club that it's easy for anyone (who's a White dude, at least) to come up with a few decent flourishes and tricks and be declared a genius. Seriously, they do a few mildly interesting things early on and get to dine out on that for the rest of their natural lives.

I remember being on a political board a few years back where one of the other women, a pretty scholarly type, nailed Kubrick to the wall for his pet mannerisms (and his customary marginalization of female characters-- let's face it: most "great" directors are guilty of that, too). Sweet Jeebus, you would've thought that she'd called for toddlers to be killed and grilled live on TV, the way some of the regulars were carrying on in the aftermath.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, Cleome.

There's a real coldness to even Kubrick's better films IMO, the coldness of a compulsive perfectionist.

That said, I have been known to compare the cartoon voice director Wally Burr (Transformers among many other shows) to Kubrick -- in both good and bad ways -- and he, I firmly believe, was a genius.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The last five years of Nicolas Cage movies.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Cosmetics.

Temping in retail has reminded me once again of how intense my hatred for "female maintenance" really is.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.