Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
L.E.G.I.O.N. to me was always a twisted version of the 31st century Legion. It featured two characters Dox and Lobo who to me are the antithesis of heroic. The organization itself operated as mercenaries rather than volunteers. That concept was never very appealing to me, and despite the great Kitson artwork, I couldn't enjoy the original version enough to keep supporting it.

I like the Legion work of Tony Bedard and would, however, give a new L.E.G.I.O.N. title a tryout for that reason.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
Is Dan Didio on crack? L.E.G.I.O.N. was a failed endeavor in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the regular Legion was at the height of its sales. To bring it in as a pseudo-replacement for the main Legion is a slap in the face of Legion fans.

I'm not saying a 21st Century science fiction title can't work, but why revive L.E.G.I.O.N. at all -- especially at a time that the main Legion book is being cancelled? Just create a new book.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
As long as they are not R.E.B.E.L.S. or any crap like that, I'm cool. But I have never read any decent Bedard story so far to see if I'll like it. I'd have called Gerard Jones myself. Or Shooter.

Did you read Crossgens Negation? I thought that one was excellent, done by Bedard. Just bought Bedards run on Exiles on german Ebay, very curious about that. I'll let you know if it was any good in my eyes as soon as I read it.

As for L.E.G.I.O.N.: I really thought the series start was fantastic, great SciFi story, great art which was far superior to Kitsons later work on Legion - alone because of the fact that he did not have to draw a dozen caucasian faces which all looked alike [Smile]

Bedard in my eyes is a very good choice to do this restart. But it will be important whic characters he's allowed to use.

For my part, I'll have to haul all those old L.E.G.I.O.N. books out of the shelf which I never read never made it farther than the first 20 issues, meanwhile I have collected nearly the whole run - without reading it... but there's enough time until the new #1 is coming out [Smile]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by reckless:
Is Dan Didio on crack? L.E.G.I.O.N. was a failed endeavor in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the regular Legion was at the height of its sales. To bring it in as a pseudo-replacement for the main Legion is a slap in the face of Legion fans.

I'm not saying a 21st Century science fiction title can't work, but why revive L.E.G.I.O.N. at all -- especially at a time that the main Legion book is being cancelled? Just create a new book.

It can't be called a failure when it lasted over 70 issues and it just died because it became irrecognizable as R.E.B.E.L.S., which was the equivalent of Legion on The Run in the 20st Century.

And I like that L.E.G.I.O.N. was never the Junior LSH or anything like that. It had a concept of its own and some of the best Keith characterization even, So, I don't even see that as a Legion substitute, but a book to increase the galactic side of DCU that is currently relegated to Starlin's miniseries and GLC. Far too little in my opinion.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Positive Man
Negative Creature

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Positive Man   Email Positive Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I liked the first five years of that title but then it slumped and REBELS sucked. Instead of connecting it more with LSH lore, which would dilute the Legion franchise, I think that it would be better for the book to be a sort of showcase for the non GLC DC Universe alien-based characters, out of their recent minis such as Holy War and Countdown to Adventure: people like Adam Strange (instead of Captain Comet), Prince Gavyn, Starfire and the Weird (or some oddballs like Jemm, Son of Saturn and Halo), groups such as the Omega Men and the Darkstars (and even more obscure, like the Xenobrood or the Blasters), locations like Hardcore Station or Warworld and NON LSH alien races (there's loads to choose from, from the Appelaxians to the Zi Charan) would broaden it's scope and fan interest, slightly departing from the whole retro Legion initial concept.
Nonetheless, I would like to see Dox, Mon-El, Strata and Lyrissa Darkstar in the book's regular cast.

--------------------
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.

From: Lisbon | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
it sounds like DC might be trying to balance out Marvel's revamped Guardians of the Galaxy (our old friends DnA at the helm...)

--------------------
everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.

From: USA #1 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad:
it sounds like DC might be trying to balance out Marvel's revamped Guardians of the Galaxy (our old friends DnA at the helm...)

And let's consider that, except for Silver Surfer (who was never a huge seller) and the Thanos Saga, Marvel cosmic heroes are nothing compared to DCU stronghold on such kind of book.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been wating for LEGION to make a comeback for a while now. They are really the only major cosmic title that has not gotten some exposure since Infinity Crisis. Yeah Dox has been player in other minis, but is just not the same as when the whole LEGION crew is together. I have missed guys like Garyn Bek, Telapath, Garv, Strata, Zena Moonstruck, Lydia Mallor, and all the rest of the core cast of characters.

Plus maybe now we will finally find out what happened to Dox and Stealths kid.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dox is one of the all-time great unknown characters. He was written masterfully. My favorite Dox moment was probably the people are food issue.

I hope Lady Quark and Captain Comet are still around?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Dox is one of the all-time great unknown characters. He was written masterfully. My favorite Dox moment was probably the people are food issue.

I hope Lady Quark and Captain Comet are still around?

Comet is at Rann/Thanagar War, but it is not the same Captain Comet, sort of. But nothing really shocking or anti-chronology. As for Lady Quark... no idea.
It would be funny to see The Weird dialoguing with Dox, though...

Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
Captain Comet went through some changes in the Mystery in Space mini series. Among other things he is younger. He is currently appearing in the Rann/Thanagar: Holy War.

Lady Quark is dead as far as I know. You know Maxima who would have been a good replacement for Lobo in this revamped LEGION if she wasn't dead. She is just as arogent as Dox and tough as a tank to boot.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Set - As far as I know, during L.E.G.I.O.N. period, Tinya was simply Tinya with amnesia. No soul gem whatsoever. Maybe later in the run?

Yes, that all happened from the Legion series, rather then in the by then discontinued LEGION, while the team was in the past.
That 'mini' series was one of my favorite Legion arcs.
It all made perfect sense to me, anyway.

Tinya had been killed in the Legion's future timeline but her 'soulself' remained with Ultra Boy because she still had two alive bodies somewhere in time and space.
When she went with him into the past (along with Gates, Imra and others), her soulstone/soul eventually drew her living body, in the form of the time displaced Phase, to her.
The souls united, as they normally do (i.e., Duo Damsel). They begame one personality, one body (unless the other one showed up sometime in the distant future), one power ~ phasing = one elegant solution to an origin that many people didn't like.
I did, though.

I've always thought a reboot should have some basic differences in characters or at the very least, some minor, less basic ones.

If I were rebooting, the new Legion Universe would be VERY different from the old one(s)!

I must say that I loved the L.E.G.I.O.N., especially in the beginning with Kitson, but really all the way through the series.
I remember some great gems, like Lar Gand and the Eye and Lyddea getting her shadow powers!
sigh

REBELS wasn't so good, though.
But, Comet and the ex-Mrs. Bek were great together, as were the two rock people/couple, I've forgotten their names.

Anyway,I seem to remember Lady Quark being killed toward the end of the series, during one of DC's killing sprees, I think.
I wish there was more of a LEGION follow-up in the Legion stories.
There was just a little bit once, with Brainy using an old LEGION cruiser after Dreamy died.

[ September 30, 2008, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And let's consider that, except for Silver Surfer (who was never a huge seller) and the Thanos Saga, Marvel cosmic heroes are nothing compared to DCU stronghold on such kind of book.

I wouldn't say that. Or, more accurately, you're right, but not in the sense I think you mean it. http://michaelmay.blogspot.com/2008/08/gamora-guardians-of-galaxy-1.html points out that there's a difference between space-based SF and what Marvel likes to call "cosmic". That normally means metaphysical stuff, more space-based fantasy. DC has done a lot of that (Crisis on Infinite Earths, anyone?)... but the Legion is usually more SF than "cosmic".

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am slightly excited. If it wasn't Bedard I would be worried. The problem I have with Legion dots is the name. I don't mind having a sci-fi cosmic team with LOSH ties (heavy ties) but the name is a bit too much for me. A bit too obvious. Ohwell. Still excited.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
In honor of L.E.G.I.O.N., I may go back to being S.T.U. again.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.