Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
BBB - Bring Back the Beks! I don't particularly want to see baby Dox with a key role. He could be the snotty kid in the background.

Hope does spring eternal, doesn't it? I enjoyed L.E.G.I.O.N. for most of its run. I wonder if they'll pick up where R.E.B.E.L.S. left off, or if it will be sort of a reboot.

It makes no sense to reboot it, since L.E.G.I.O.N. is actually active in DCU - Dox appeared on Mystery In Space in fact. So, thankfully, no reboot, but picking up from where it was (and it wasn't R.E.B.E.L.S. anymore).
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
I haven't read or collected much of the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic. Can someone take the time to tell me why they wrote it like an acronym? What does it stand for? Why do all the characters look different? No costumes? Honestly, if they didn't have L.E.G.I.O.N. on the cover, I wouldn't have known it was a Legion comic. Is this the 5 year gap I have heard about? What exactly was the 5 year gap? What is all this talk about REBELS about? Essentially explain to me what the comic was all about. Please. Also are we totally sure that they are doing this or is it still speculation?

Okay, let's go:

It is not a Legion comic, in my opinion. It never was. Kudos to Keith Giffen, who never tried to make it like a 20th Century Legion book. In fact, they are basically a group of heroes-for-hire (nothing further away from a Legion book) covering what other cosmic teams can't cover.
Its ties to the Legion are light, but they do exist: Vril Dox is the leader and he is an ancestor to Brainy. For a while, we had Phase on the team, who was actually Tinya displaced in time with amnesia (somebody said that reboot screwed with something else - another good reason to despise reboot). There was also Lyrissa (from Tallok VIII) and Strata (from Dryad). But never mentioned as ancestors or anything like that.
There was also a Durlan but he was probably retconned out of continuity because Click Here For A Spoilerhe was R. J. Brande.
Apart from that, it was a completely different beast, in my opinion. And that's why I liked it - I really wouldn't like it if it became Young Legion or Legion Society of America.
Hopefully, Bedard will pick that up and not try to emulate LSH.

Oh, and L.E.G.I.O.N. stands for Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network. More here. I really miss Stealth and Bek.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I never read LEGION. I got the REBELS crossover issues, and just didn't feel like adding another series to my list at the time. I never got the Valor series either. I'm not AR, I guess.

I'll have to wait and see what you all think of LEGION, when it happens.

REBELS certainly wouldn't make you want to stay with the concept, that's for sure.
I used to be such a Legion purist I'd buy anything with any related characters in it, Valor, LEGION, anything.

I enjoyed the LEGION concept because a lot of old Legion stories had connections with the past that usually weren't gone into very well or extensively.
Shadow Lass' ancestress from the Darkseid arc was something of interest to me, ofcourse.
There was a Brainiac villian in the past but how did he/it produce a whole line of beings with that title?
Where was the Eye of Ekron before the Empress?
ect
So, I loved it's addition to Legionlore.
I never thought of those characters as imposters.

I'm with Cobalt on this one, I'll be an optomist and expect both series to run and to be good, or at least hope and wait & see.

I know I'm close to alone in this, but I really don't have much interest in an original Legion series.
Not unless they're shown as older adults ~ more of a Justice League or even a Justice Society. I'd want them as mentors to a new generation of Legionaires.
Johns' group just seems so worn-out, joyless and fragmented to me, even more than Giffen's 5 yr. later run. I don't enjoy them at all.
Oh,well.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow....doesn't sound like Legion at all. It takes place in the 20th century? Basically consists of ancestors of the Legionnaires? The ancestors of Legionnaires isn't so bad but the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.

As a rapidly acquire my Legion collection....does L.E.G.I.O.N even belong in it?

So basically a Legion comic with no actual Legionnaire cast? Ouch!

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Wow....doesn't sound like Legion at all. It takes place in the 20th century? Basically consists of ancestors of the Legionnaires? The ancestors of Legionnaires isn't so bad but the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.

As a rapidly acquire my Legion collection....does L.E.G.I.O.N even belong in it?

So basically a Legion comic with no actual Legionnaire cast? Ouch!

It's not really a hero for hire as Marvel characters or even The Conglomerate. It's way more subtle. Like a government hiring them to solve problems all around.

And yes, it fits perfectly. And it's Barry Kitson's rise to stardom. And - as I said - there is a Legionnaire cast, but not from the 30th Century.

I'd say you should at least try the first 2 years' worth of storylines. You will like it - especially if you don't try to compare it to LSH.

Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I haven't read or collected much of the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic. Can someone take the time to tell me why they wrote it like an acronym? What does it stand for? Why do all the characters look different? No costumes? Honestly, if they didn't have L.E.G.I.O.N. on the cover, I wouldn't have known it was a Legion comic. Is this the 5 year gap I have heard about? What exactly was the 5 year gap? What is all this talk about REBELS about? Essentially explain to me what the comic was all about. Please. Also are we totally sure that they are doing this or is it still speculation?

No this is not the 5 Years Latter... you have heard about. That was Legion of Super Heroes volume 4 issue 1-61 and Legionaries 1-18. The 5years Latter... stroyline was when Giffen relaunched the series after the Levitz series. He jumped the timeline up 5 years and started from there. In that time the Legion had been disbanded and Earth was secretly under the control of the Dominators. The series started up with Chameleon Boy deciding that the LEgion had been goen too long and that they were needed again, and he sets out to reunite the team and figure out whats going wrong on Earth.

The LEGION series came out of the Invasion mini series. In Invasion we meet Vril Dox II who along with some other prisoners of the Allience go on to form the core group that becomes LEGION. After deafeting the Computer Tyrants of Colu the group becomes a interplantary protection service. Basically cosmic rent-a-cops.

REBELS came about after Vril Doxs and another core member Stealths evil son took over the orginaztaion through mind control. It was mostly about Vril and the others that were immune to little Doxs mind control figuring out how to deafeat him and take back LEGION.

These are the main ties L.E.G.I.O.N had with Legion:

Vril Dox and Lyrl Dox - ancestors of Brainiac 5
Lyrissa and Lydia Mallor - ancestors of Shadow Girl
Durlan - was the time lost RJ Brande founder of the Legion and father of Chameleon Boy
Phase - ties to Phantom Girl/was Phantom Girl (very complicated)
Lar Gand (Valor/Mon-El) - was a member before he was put into the Phantom Zone briefly
Garryn Bek - used the Emerald Eye for a while
Strata - a member of Blok's race
Computer Tyrants of Colu - became Pulsar Stargrave.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:
the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.

It's not really a hero for hire as Marvel characters or even The Conglomerate. It's way more subtle. Like a government hiring them to solve problems all around.
I'd describe it more as, a group of waywards mostly extorted by a maniacle to do his bidding, which is to extort governments to hire him to to solve problems they didn't know they had until he caused them, mostly because he has an obsession with the ridding of bad-guys and nothing much else to occupy his time.

Like Ricardo, I never considered this in anyway a Legion book but it's loose connection did provide added interest to me. Mostly I liked that it was out in space and that Dox is who I'd want to be, except for that whole being "raped/cannibalized" thing.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Kahn ~ I'm sorry I made it sound like I thought the 2 story lines were somehow together in my mind. I probably confuse people a lot!
To clarify, I hope: Geoff Johns' Legion, the one that brings back some of the original Legion team members, seem rather unhappy, disillusioned and unteamlike to me.
I tried to compare their outword attitudes with the way the Legion was portrayed in the Giffen run, which was in the same 'boot' as the original Legion, just 5 years further along in their lives.

Moving on, I agree with dotLegion not really being a Legion book but there were many more similarities or small connections then mentioned so far.
There was a small group of dotLEGION trainies who were similar to both the Subs and the Academy in nature and handling, IMO.
We saw various planets/natives/powers that were ancestors or shadows of Legionlore.
There was, briefly, an element manipulator like Jan.
The first major villian, a fire user/mentalmanipulator, Barry's introductory image of her is still so strongly in my mind, was building a super-villian group.
Lyddea went to Talok to receive her Mallor shadow powers.
Having Jo Nah (the original)grief over loosing Tinya and his hope when he came looking for Phase was great. Then the boot changed the older man's grief into a reunionification/resurection of teenPhase. . .
Lots of great stuff, I think!

I don't know.
dotLEGION just seems more closely connected to the Legion in my mind, then others may feel.
I know that in the lastboot, when Brainy seemed so cold and supermanipulative, I thought of the LEGION.
And when the team was divided against him, some trying to stop his plots and others trying to aid him, it was familiar from the LEGION era.

With all that, I DO agree that no one needs to read dotLEGION to try to understand Legion. Unless this new LEGION is going to be more closely connected to the new Legion.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
What if Action Legion goes back in time and becomes L.E.G.I.O.N. after Lo3W?

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
What if Action Legion goes back in time and becomes L.E.G.I.O.N. after Lo3W?

That would suck just as much as Legion on The Run. Or the Reboot.
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Not a fan of that idea either. L.E.G.I.O.N. is well established and separate entity from LSH and personally I prefer that. I'm not sure what I'd want to become of the L3W Legion but I know I want L.E.G.I.O.N. to stay intact.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
A new dotLegion book sounds great to me. It was always one of my favorites up until near the end of its run when the quality really seemed to fade. Evrey now and then we see them popup in current DCU titles and minis, it'll be good to see them carry their own title again.

oh and just an aside, I've always considered dotLegion to be somekind of precursor to the Science Police

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

What? You didn't like the talking tree? [Wink]

"precursor to the Science Police"

That's an interesting thought. A 1000 years is a long time but the idea had to come from something. Darkstars seemed to be heading there but kind of fell by the wayside.

Eithe Lyl or Dox, egos that they were, would have left a trace of themselves somewhere to influence future police forces. Be funny if that popped up.

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

It seems that L.E.G.I.O.N. will not be back, but rather R.E.B.E.L.S. Has anyone else read that somewhere? That would be awful...
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked dotREBELS more than most here, it seems (I'll admit it took a rereading from start to finish a few years AFTER it was published to improve my opinion, and I stil thought the ending was WAY off) so I'm not completely against this.

A lot of it, for me, will depend on the characters included in the story.

And honestly, I think I prefer only one LEGION team, and LSH will trump dotLEGION every time there for me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.