Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Superman/Batman 17# (Mega-Spoilers!) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Superman/Batman 17# (Mega-Spoilers!)
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Well there wasn't much in the way of legiony goodness in this work but gosh darnit if the reveal wasn't also worth it.

When the Legion of Supervillain has the chips no longer in their favor, when they find out that Darkseid is eventually going to kill them, what do they do? I'll tell you what they do...they join with Ras Al Ghul!

BTW, I really love the new design for Saturn Queen...Hot hot hot!

[ February 02, 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm more interested in the two new additions to the trio...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Echo and Beauty Blaze! At last! I'll be scanning that page and posting it later!

[ February 02, 2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh yeah! I forgot. I gotta go get this so I can read the rest of it. Is this the last installment of the LSV story?

In a manner of speaking a LSV vs. Superman story is enough "Legiony goodness" to sucker me into plopping down my three bucks. The darned thing looks pretty nice too.

I like it that DC has attracted new business but I'm a bit mixed in my feelings about it. When Marvel glutted the market with seven hundred crappy mutant books I stopped buying vitually all Marvel titles in protest. The DC Superman/Batman glut seems to be of superior quality to that of the X-things of the 80s but it's still so limited in it's focus that I'm not participating much.
I'd rather see a host of new creations where writers could really stretch their imaginations and skills than yet another book with a pointy eared creature of the night.

Fortunately there are eleventyeight new companies with quality work to pick from on the shelves as well as lots of young artists that are web publishing.

Anyway - this story in S/B with the LSV might keep me onboard for a while if the rest are as much fun as this. At least it means I'll pay attention to it for a while where I was flat out ignoring it previously.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, the problem with Batman is largely Batman is only Batman in "Batman/Superman" and maybe the Batman Adventures comics.

Batman, is a neurotic monster barely better than Deathstroke everywhere else.

The "World's Finest" comics are arguably the best of the DCU comics out there because they are one of the few comics willing to shake up the established order. Everything else seems so regurgitated lately that it's hard to bother with buying them.

In the 17 issues of Superman/Batman
1. We lost Luthor as President
2. We get Kara Inzel back
3. We get a "the entire world is imperiled" storyline that actually stands to be wrapped up soon but will likely star all the cast we need.

It's enjoyable in a way you just don't find anymore

[ February 02, 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Last page of Superman/Batman #17 (sorry, I already spoiled it - too excited!)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T
!
!
!

-

[ February 02, 2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
*Gasp*

Beauty Blaze! And a stunningly rendered one at that!

I'm not sure who the masked guy is. Is it Echo or that Lex Luthor robot from Adv #300.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
Everything else seems so regurgitated lately that it's hard to bother with buying them.

In the 17 issues of Superman/Batman
1. We lost Luthor as President
2. We get Kara Inzel back
3. We get a "the entire world is imperiled" storyline that actually stands to be wrapped up soon but will likely star all the cast we need.

You complain about regurgitation and then mention two "restore to the 25-years ago status quo" stories and a third story of probably the single most overdone type in comics as counter-examples?!

And Superman/Batman #6 holds my "worst story anywhere of 2004" "award" for it's complete failure to make sense.

[ February 03, 2005, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Guess I'll have to make a stop at the CBS since I won't get my issue until my next shipment.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Reboot, you act as if the "non-status" quo was enjoyable :-)

Because it wasn't.

And its used often because its GOOD.

Though rarely done right as in here.

[ February 03, 2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, we already know that this isn't the silver age Adult LSV, because Cosmic King is completely different, so since the crew are hypertime alternates, I'll guess "Sun Empress" and "Ferro-Man". Although the female could also be an adult Inferno (who was always on the brink of villainy anyway).

The more I look at the masked guy, the more I wonder about the symbol on his head and chest - Durlan antennae? Elemental symbol? His costume also looks like a Martial Arts outfit of some sort. Maybe he's a new Composite Legionnaire combining several of their powers? Nah, I'll stick with Ferro-Man.

For the record I've found this arc a neat idea, poorly executed. Which is better than the rest of the series which was merely poorly executed.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Why do you think its poorly executed?

I think Cosmic King is also the same, he's just being deliberately altered to be more like Cosmic Boy (my guess is that he's figured out a way to use his transmutation powers to make things magnetically pulled to specific things)

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rouge:
For the record I've found this arc a neat idea, poorly executed. Which is better than the rest of the series which was merely poorly executed.

Agreed, to an extent. Loeb himself said they just did the arc "because Carlos wanted to draw everyone."

quote:
Reboot, you act as if the "non-status" quo was enjoyable :-)

Because it wasn't.

In YOUR opinion. I much preferred the DCU a year and a half ago, where Kyle was GL (even if a change of writer was sorely needed, as a qualification. Still, you don't amputate limbs because they're slightly bruised) and the Legion didn't live in an upside-down rocket to pick but two bits.

quote:
And its used often because its GOOD.

Though rarely done right as in here.

If I want a low-rent AoA, I'll buy Marvel's anniversary cash-in, thanks.

quote:
Why do you think its poorly executed?

Let's see, focusing on the Luthor aspect of the first arc alone (I'm going from memory BTW, since I don't have the issues with me and have no intention of looking it up when I go home):

Lex Luthor, control-freak extrodinare, injects himself with kryptonite (which killed him once already - right now, he's a clone body and a demonic deal down the line) & venom (which drives the user insane AND HE KNOWS IT). He then proceeds to go insane (d'uh), and gut Batman who not only doesn't die, but knocks him out of a window which beats him. Meanwhile, his daughter is convieniently completely forgotten.

And a couple of other Bits Of Badness that leap to mind without frying my brain:
- The "this is what really happened" thing over the Hawkman/Shazam fight
- RAINBOW FRELLING KRYPTONITE?! RAINBOW FRELLING KRYPTONITE?!
- Rather than having a chat with Superman, Wonder Woman feels the need to have a Big Fight Scene, bringing along a few friends in the process.

Plus the other reversionary crap.

[ February 03, 2005, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
'Boot, I actually liked that story, but your comments do make me laugh!

My co-workers wouldn't understand if I told them I'm laughing at "RAINBOW FRELLING KRYPTONITE?!!"

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Could the new guy be Echo, or is that too obvious?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.