Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » 15 years later - Rereading the Reboot... (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: 15 years later - Rereading the Reboot...
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Dyrk's finest moment was the Braal issue of Legion Worlds. I think that may have been his last appearance - unless he had a minor appearance in one the early Legion issues. I love the image of him sticking out his tongue to catch the metallic tasting falling snow. The reboot certainly takes the prize for some of most interesting tongue moments in comics history.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Magno is one of my Top 10 Favourite Legionnaires! [Magno]
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLK
longtime listener/first time caller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLK   Email SLK         Edit/Delete Post     
Oops. Should've known that every Legionnaire is someone's favorite. Sorry guys, but Magno never did it for me. He took too much attention away from other characters I wanted to see more of.

I just finished the Sovereign Seven plus issue, and it was better than I remembered. It gave Saturn Girl a depth that was missing in the main books. Chris Claremont writing a Legion story? Who have thought.

From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, SLK, and no one should take offense at you for honestly expressing yours.

Every Legionnaire is someone's favorite, yes, but every Legionnaire is probably also someone's least favorite.

Diversity makes the (Legion) World go around!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Legion World...do we dare hope Legion World still exists in the mulitiverse with the other Legionnaires (reboot) not seen in L3w?

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLK
longtime listener/first time caller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLK   Email SLK         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't say I was the biggest fan of Legion World. It just seemed too big and unwieldy to make any practical use of it. A planet as an HQ for thirty or so teens? Now if it there was a spin-off title about life on Legion World (a la Deep Space Nine), that could be interesting.

Anyway, I don't mean to take anything away from Chemical King's thread, but I read a few more issues this past weekend, and some thoughts came to my mind:

-Lori Morning quickly becomes my least favorite fictional character of all time when she basically throws a tantrum that ruins the chances of rescuing the time-lost Legionnaires. She also takes down Rond Vidar with a knee to the groin, and steals the H-Dial for kicks. Is this when reboot Legion jumped the shark? Lori was so much more interesting when it looked like she was getting prepped to be the new Glorith. Hopefully, the "Laurie" that was Supe-Prime's girlfriend is really Lori. Those two deserve each other.

-Evisceratronic. I'm not sure if the name was supposed to be a joke or not. He was an SP officer who blamed the Legion for his squad's death so he ... um... kills more SPs for revenge. He is then killed by Mordru before he can do a thing. I really feel like I missed something with that.

-I loved the "Elseworlds"/Curt Swan tribute issue. The Legion never gets to have Elseworlds fun anymore. The moral of the story was laid on pretty thick, but it was an enjoyable issue, and I didn't mind the interruption of the story in order to tell it.

Legion at this time was a pretty mixed bag. Too much attention was given to the whiny brat from the past (hmm, sounds like Lo3W), but the threat of Mordru still makes things exciting. I'll keep reading.

From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
Lori Morning was an absolute nightmare that went nowhere...she was obviously supposed to be Glorith so what happened with that? Terrible.

The art really doesn't help these issues at all.

I was able to re-read the 5YG because, until the very end, the art was pretty good.

There was something way to cartoony about the reboot that put me off.

Once Olivier Coipel arrived I found my love of the Legion again!

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks to the wonder of the Megalo-Thriftmart's dollar comics section, I now own two actual reboot comics.

One Moy issue, and one issue of Legion Lost.

(If anyone is still looking to fill in gaps in their First, Dark Horse, and Eclipse collections and isn't fussy about pristine quality, we should talk one of these days. Way more remaindered Indy books than Big Two.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I liked Magno, too, though I think the sole reason for his existence was so he could lose his powers and teach Garth a lesson about not prejudging others. I don't think Magno was ever intended for the long haul.

I always did wonder if Magno was supposed to go bad or something. Like maybe joining a Legion of Super Villains or becoming possessed by the Emerald Eye, because he'd lost his powers. Or at least being tempted to, and then turning into a hero again at the last minute.

Hm... They could have done something with him and Kinetix too. She'd lost her powers before after all.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I always did wonder if Magno was supposed to go bad or something. Like maybe joining a Legion of Super Villains or becoming possessed by the Emerald Eye, because he'd lost his powers. Or at least being tempted to, and then turning into a hero again at the last minute.

Hm... They could have done something with him and Kinetix too. She'd lost her powers before after all.

I always had the theory that he'd never get his Magno powers back, but still bond with Garth growing an unhealthy attachment to him. Then when Cos came back he'd get extremely jealous that Cos resumed being both the Braalian and Garth's best friend that he'd try to get some power and end up with Transmutation abilities and become Cosmic King.

Wow, hadn't thought of that in a while.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad they didn't go that route with Magno. There's nothing wrong with a comic book character who just happens to be a decent guy. We could use more characters like that.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
So I'm back as well, have been on a Legion break due to my rereading all of my Geoff Johns Green Lantern stuff to be PREPARED for Blackest Night. Quite good stuff, by the way...

Okay what came next? I have to confess that I am actually missing an issue of LSH (#89), so what I did get with Team 20 was the obscure Sovereign Seven Oneshot with a journey into Saturn Girls mind and... oops!... #90 with a journey into Saturn Girls mind! Considering that Avon already journeyed into Saturn Girls mind some time ago, I really think that this story has been told... extensively enough...

Team 30 - as I stated before - kept on suffering from the absence of so many feature characters. The story revolved around the ongoing search for the Emerald Eye and Mordrus slow rise to power. That was good, cause it was a logical continuation of what came before. Unfortunately, ##45 & 46 had a strong focus on Sensor (the "shove-it-down-their-throats-approach" again?). Way worse than Umbras big hour in #44. Magno on the other hand, as SLK already stated, was hardly to be seen - which I actually find kind of pleasant. Evisceratronic? Again, SLK is right: Another of those names which made the book look even cheaper than it was (Planet Hell, Work Force, you name em...).

Well, the books went from cheesy to becoming unbearable during the two issue crossover Leg #47 & LSH #91. The chance to get reunited was screwed up by LORI MORNING pressing some buttons cause she does not want to get home. Out of this lame oh how lame exposition, the Legion ends somewehere in the timestream (where Lori is still allowed to push buttons) collecting chronal energy everywhere to get back. In my eyes, the plot of this two-parter is total gibberish, with no other outcome than sending yet another established character (Triad) to the merchandizing event in the 20th century, thus further weakening Team 30.

I think it's one thing to do an additional story about a child character doing some nonsense, but when her doing becomes the starting point for whole stories that are actually going nowhere in the end, it's getting really annoying. For the first time during my reread, I was getting this feeling of wasting my time with the books.

Up on the horizon: Team 30 battles Mordru while Team 20 does some further irrelevant gimmick stories like being stuck in the 50s. Duh...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Evisceratronic?

Considering the guy got killed within pages, it was pretty obviously a pisstake name...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay so now I read the next eight issues, and I am totally torn about its quality.

Team 30 was fighting Mordru in a rather huge story. All in all, the story was well-told. Certainly it does qualify as weak storywriting to include a bunch of third- and fourthstringer characters just to be able to kill somebody off: The only characters that really suffered in the outcome of the battle with Mordru were Blast-Off (dead), Atom'x (dead), Radion (disfigured), Dragonmage (badly injured), Kid Quantum II (badly injured) and the least important Legionnaire of all, Magno (lost his powers). It seems obvious that the only reason to include the additional heroes was to make somebody suffer, thus rising the stakes of the story. It was not enough that Violet got growth powers and Element Lad got stuck in a crystalline form - there HAD to be BLOOD... Maybe the editors did forbid them to touch the blood of the Legionnaires themselves? Or did they just want to get rid of some of the worst codenames?

Anyway that was the ending of a rather long dangling storyline (Emerald Vi), with the Eye still on the loose. It was not solid gold, but "Legionnaires" actually told a story. With "Legion of Superheroes", it seemed like there was no story to BE told. As it was clear from the beginning that the Legion would stay in the 20th century for at least a year, every attempt of the Legion to get back home was nothing but a bland excuse for another crossover. Those books to me seem like "hey, we got another half year left, which gimmick do we throw out next? Oh, wouldn't it be cool to put them into the 50s for an issue? Why? No reason why, it's just so cooool!" With the exception of #94 (Shvaughns Diary), which actually focussed on the Legion itself and their relationsships with each other, those last few issues read like crap -
the meeting with the Metal Men being the worst example of it.

This was the end of the third year of the Reboot. I really feel that the quality declined majorly due to the teams split-up. While Legionnaires was still telling solid stories with a smaller, less interesting team-up including crappy characters like Sneckie and Monstress, LSH was quickly getting unbearable to read. In my eyes, this was the beginning of the end. I don't know if sales dropped (or even rose in the beginning), but I do know that it was just about half a year from here that I decided to quit the Legion books. QUIT. The Legion. Books. Unthinkable, but true. I'll reread the rest of the fold as well, but I guess it won't be pretty.

Thankfully, I am looking forward to rereading the DnA books after that - so my Reread will be missing about two years of Legion stories.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Well now you do know those Legion time slips were done by the Time Trapper to prepare them for the upcoming Dark Circle Rising saga.

And yes those stories in LSH were some clunkiers but DNA did built off them...we get our first views of C.O.M.P.U.T.O which will play a large part in the teams future...especially when they get back from the 2nd galaxy.

And of course due to Blast-Off (dead), Atom'x (dead), we got Wildfire back.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.