Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Heroes of other worlds? (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Heroes of other worlds?
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Shimrah Karroc goes by no code-name, and haunts the ferrosilicate sands of the deserts of the western continent of Talokk VIII.

Born hairless and with bright red skin, that was already coarse like leather, the mutant child's superstitious parents quietly disposed of their infant, leaving him in the desert to fend for himself, according to ancient (and long-abandoned!) Talokkian custom.

Somehow, the apparently helpless baby survived for days, his nascent abilities proving sufficient to drive off scavenging predators, and he was discovered, nearly dead of thirst, by a wandering hermit-priestess, who took in the strange child and raised him in the sacred caverns she tended.

His nameless mentor named her adopted child Shimrah Karroc, 'gift of the desert,' in Talokkian, and her 'son' grew quickly and absorbed all that his surrogate mother had to teach him, learning also to control the abilities his strange body developed as he grew. He could burrow through the ferrosilicate sands even faster than a man could run atop them, using a 'swimming' motion, combined with some form of electromagnetic propulsion, as if the iron sands someone pushed him along, moving aside before him and sealing behind to conceal his passage. His body also generated a concentrated acidic secretion that he could expel with great force from his mouth, and in the course of movement through the sands, built up a powerful electrostatic charge, allowing him to burst from the sands with a lightning-like discharge.

His ruddy leathery hide, which darkened with age to a reddish-black coloration, and lean yet flexible body proved to be stronger and more durable than that of the average Talokkian, and he found himself able to easily best any disrespectful raiders who approached his mentor's sacred grounds, bursting up from the ground in a blinding stunning display, and then savagely beating the bewildered raiders back, ducking back beneath the cover of the sands, if truly threatened, able to survive deep beneath their feet holding his breath for up to an hour, aware of the movements of those above him carried through tremors and vibrations within the sands themselves, as if Talokk itself conspired to protect him, and give away his enemies positions.

[In a fit of weirdness, I just had to make a super-hero whose super-power was 'Mongolian Death Worm Physiology.' [Smile] ]

great job! i actually was thinking about the movie Tremors! i love it!

i love the meaning of of his name as well!

i also like how he's both stealthy and has great brute force. that's a combination that's hard to do in most.

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the kind words!

Tremors is just pure goofy fun. Love that movie.

While flight is very common, and super-leaping / bouncing or super-swimming or teleportation also have their representation, burrowing is a darn rare means of super-travel, so I thought it would be fun to have at least one!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I love this dude...I would love to see Shady take a couple of Legionnaires to Talok VIII and have barbarian-style adventures across the sands coming across local heroes like Mongolian Death Worm Lad here [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I love this dude...I would love to see Shady take a couple of Legionnaires to Talok VIII and have barbarian-style adventures across the sands coming across local heroes like Mongolian Death Worm Lad here [Smile]

Oh, I'd kill for a graphic novelization along the lines of John Carter of Mars (the books, not the movie), only set on Talokk VIII and with Shady in the role of John Carter, uniting warring tribes and fighting giant monsters and leading her people against alien manipulators that are trying to take over her world. Sword in one hand, blaster in the other. Oh yes.

Pulpy goodness.

There are several Legionnaires that, if taken completely away from the Legion, and working solo on their homeworlds (or Earth, or elsewhere in the UP), could have some awesome adventures. Saturn Girl on Titan attempting to solve a psycho-thriller murder mystery, dealing with a master telepath who is mind-jobbing other people into committing crimes for him? Projectra dealing with Orandan court intrigues and a brewing revolution against her (admittedly ill-fortuned, at times) rule? Brainy could be at the heart of a great cyberpunk story, or Tinya at the heart of a surreal Gaiman-esque dimensional psychodrama, or Cham deeply mired into a noir detective tale of the gritty underbelly of 31st century Metropolis.

There's a lot of untapped potential there, and different Legionnaires lend themselves to very different sub-genres nicely.

Set

Suffering from a sense of being at war with himself, the man who would become the Carggite hero Uinseach of the Leaping Shadows is no native of Cargg, although he has recently become a naturalized citizen of the world under the triple sun.

Descended from the people of Graxos IV, a world whose elfin natives are famous for their hereditary line of Green Lanterns, such as Arisia Rrab, Uinseach (OON-see-osh) was born to parents who lived on Earth, and had never even been to Graxos IV until his third decade of life, when a spiritual advisor counseled him to travel to his 'homeworld,' to attempt to find himself, as he had drifted into and out of the criminal rehabilitation system for petty crimes, during his misspent youth.

He found no answers to the anger and confusion that marked the man he had been, and the better man he wished to become, on Graxos IV, but on Cargg, bathed in the light of the triple suns in the southern polar city, he saw the three shadows he cast in their light struggle with each other, a visible manifestation of the struggle he was feeling between the disparate parts of his psyche.

He collapsed, and awoke to find that, even in a medical room, under artificial illumination, he still cast three shadows, only the struggle was over, both within and without, and now, feeling at last at peace with himself, he learned to control his triple shadows, which would merge together, or split apart at his will, and could affect the material world as if they possessed physical strength equal to his own, while remaining intangible shadows to the touch. Able to stretch up to 10 meters from where his feet touched the ground, his shadows could grapple and restrain individual, or lift objects and bring them to him, or even pass through transparent obstacles or through a slender opening (to the great surprise of a smuggler he apprehended, who thought himself safe within the pilot's seat of the craft he was stealing to escape, unaware that the 'Leaping Shadow' could pass right through the windshield into the craft, to pin him to his seat!).

Uinseach developed his own physical strength, further enhancing his shadows usefulness, and remained on Cargg to serve as a hero, feeling that he owed a debt to the world that had saved him from his own self-division. He discovered quite painfully that bright light can weaken his shadows, and damaging intensities of light, such as a laser blast, can destroy one of them, a sensation he likens to having a limb torn away (and one that caused him to black out from pain and shock, the first time it happened), although the lost shadow slowly returns over the next few days, wispy insubstantial at first, but gaining in strength and visibility over time.

Darker skinned than his distant relation, Arisia, Uinseach has dark amber skin, appearing brown with golden highlights, and hair of a dark metallic red hue, and tends to dress in fashions reminiscent of New Genesis, which was a fad when he was younger and which he has kept with, even as the rest of the universe long ago moved on. His eyes are a reddish-orange, but flare with blue light when he activates his powers and splits his shadow into three.

Set

Spectrum comes from the world of Korugar, and is descended from the legendary Sinestro, bearing a strong resemblance to his forebear, although choosing to dress in a simple white tunic and breeches, appearing more like a monk's attire than those of a champion or hero.

Spectrum has the power to emanate colored light along the emotional spectrum, evocative of the power rings worn by his famous ancestor, but he cannot create force constructs, or perform any of the other amazing feats of a power ring.

Instead, when he channels the light of the emotional spectrum, it both fills him and all around him with the emotional energy of that color. When he glows red, all around him become filled with anger and rage, and when he glows blue, all around him feel a sense of perseverance and renewed confidence, while a yellow aura fills all with dread and terror, and a violet aura causes all to feel an overwhelming sense of love for all around them.

To call upon this inner light, he has to surrender to the feelings he is projecting, whether it be fear or wrath, determination or love. His eyes change to the color of the predominant emotion he is feeling, and the light shines brightly from his body. After a cruel foe attempted to shut down his powers by blinding him, he learned that he did not need his eyes to project the light of the emotional spectrum, and after having his eyes medically regenerated, continues to serve as a champion to the people of Korugar, quelling disturbances by bringing compassion to those who rise up in anger, or instilling courage and strength of will to those who despair in the face of natural disaster or hardship.

Omni
Honorary

quote:
Spectrum comes from the world of Korugar, and is descended from the legendary Sinestro, bearing a strong resemblance to his forebear, although choosing to dress in a simple white tunic and breeches, appearing more like a monk's attire than those of a champion or hero.

Spectrum has the power to emanate colored light along the emotional spectrum, evocative of the power rings worn by his famous ancestor, but he cannot create force constructs, or perform any of the other amazing feats of a power ring.

Instead, when he channels the light of the emotional spectrum, it both fills him and all around him with the emotional energy of that color. When he glows red, all around him become filled with anger and rage, and when he glows blue, all around him feel a sense of perseverance and renewed confidence, while a yellow aura fills all with dread and terror, and a violet aura causes all to feel an overwhelming sense of love for all around them.

To call upon this inner light, he has to surrender to the feelings he is projecting, whether it be fear or wrath, determination or love. His eyes change to the color of the predominant emotion he is feeling, and the light shines brightly from his body. After a cruel foe attempted to shut down his powers by blinding him, he learned that he did not need his eyes to project the light of the emotional spectrum, and after having his eyes medically regenerated, continues to serve as a champion to the people of Korugar, quelling disturbances by bringing compassion to those who rise up in anger, or instilling courage and strength of will to those who despair in the face of natural disaster or hardship.

i love this interpretation of the emotional spectrum. i also like that its a descendent of Senistro.

--------------------

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by Omni: i love this interpretation of the emotional spectrum. i also like that its a descendent of Senistro.
Thanks! I think, with Dex Sinister (with a kind of power ring) and Uinseach of the Leaping Shadows (a member of a 'Green Lantern race') and this guy (both a 'GL race' and with powers related to the emotional spectrum!), I'm gonna step away from the Green Lantern well for a bit.

Too much tapping of that well, I think. [Smile]

Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
Omni and Set, I am impressed by your respective abilities to re-imagine Universes. This is a little derivative, but you might like it.

In a parallel dimension, orbiting the star they call Shamash, is the Earth-like world of Oceania. It is remarkably Earth-like, although not exactly a parallel Earth.

The greatest hero of Oceania is Hyperman, rocketed to Oceania as an infant, he conceals his identity as the newspaper reporter Chester King.

Fred Hembeck’s heartfelt summary of the old Superman Silver-Age tale is here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/23/the-fred-hembeck-show-episode-24

But there are other super-heroes on Oceania.

1. Bob White lost his parents to a criminal’s handgun at an early age. He dedicated his life to learning criminology, martial arts, and a hundred other skills. Ready at last to begin his campaign against crime, he stood at the window of his mansion, gazing out into the night. “Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot,” he mused. “I will become a… a…”

Just then, he was startled by the reflection in the window of his faithful butler’s shadow. “I will become a fearsome Spectre!” he resolved.

Now, as the green-and-gray-clad Spectre, he fights crime with his sidekick, the acrobatic teen Dirk Grantham, the scarlet-clad Deadman.

Spectre-cave, Spectre-mobile, Spectre-plane, Spectarangs, and all.

2. Given a ring of power by the Sentinels of the Galaxy, test pilot Howard Johnson battles evil with the green energies of the Flash.

3. Princess Deborah left the Assyrian Amazons of hidden Paradise Valley to join the “Man’s World” as the protector of right, Manhunter, wearing the purple-and-gold of her adopted nation’s flag.

4. When J’yym J’ymzz was accidentally transported to Oceania from Marduk, the fourth planet, he adopted a blonde-haired, fair-skinned identity as the green-and-blue-clad Superman. And as black police detective Jim James, he has an unfair advantage over the criminal element with his Mardukite telepathy, shape-shifting, and a host of other powers.

5. His powers granted by a lab accident, Brett Andrews is secretly the super-speedster Black Lightning

6. Shipwrecked on a tropical island, millionaire Oscar Quest was forced to learn to survive in the jungle by making his own bows and arrows. Now he fights crime in the metropolis of Stellar City as a mysterious green-clad hero. On his first excursion, he thwarted a bank robbery. The bank guard took one look at him and asked, “Who do you think you are? Robin Hood?” Oscar replied, “Just call me Robin—I’m no hood.” His partner is teen-aged Rick Hales, Mr. Scarlet.

7. Often joining Oscar is Drew Lincoln, the martial artist who calls herself Black Orchid.

8. Kyrzn and Shyba Hyl, members of the Bat-Police Force of Thothagar, they assumed the dual identities of Carson and Sheba Hill, and the super-heroes Batman and Batwoman

9. The human incarnation of the Spirit of Vengeance, is the late John Carmichael, known by his proper name of Naqamael.

How does this relate to the Legion? When Chester King and Lydia Long’s daughter Leah gets lost in time and space, she shows up in the 31st-century as Hypergirl.

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Ooh, some interesting shuffling of characters and backstories! I'm particularly fond of the Assyrian Amazon, Manhunter (and the purple-and-gold colors, more often associated with Wonder Woman's arch-foe, Circe), but the 'Bat-Police of Thothagar' are also fun sounding. Also loving the fourth planet being named after the Babylonian Marduk, instead of the Roman Mars!

Perhaps Oceania has an Aquaman analogue who is instead a member of a subterranean civilization of 'morlocks' or 'mole-people' that sank into the earth in prehistory? Using his people's evolved ability to manipulate seismic vibrations, their prince-champion Vibe represents the kingdoms of the Lost World as a hero to the surface folk!

[ November 24, 2012, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
That is some nifty re-imagining....I kind of wanna see Spectre and Deadman as well as the bat-police of Thothagar now!

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Agreed! Klar Ken, you did a really fun reimagination of these characters.

i'd love to see more of the Bat Police of Thothagar as well!

--------------------

Set

One thing I like, as mentioned above, is the use of non-classical mythologies / cultures, such as Assyrian Amazons or a 'Mars' named after the Babylonian Marduk.

Finding out that the bat-Thanagarians, instead of having some nebulous ties to ancient Egypt, instead were tied to the Mayans, and might have served as an inspiration for the bat-god Camazotz, could be funky. (I can't think of any other cultures that had a prominent bat-god, so Mayans it is!)

Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I am notoriously unartistic, but here are Hero Machines of the Spectre and Deadman the Boy Wonder of Oceania:

-
 -

And the Batman and Batwoman of Thothagar

-
 -

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Perhaps Oceania has an Aquaman analogue

If Oceania doesn't have an Aquaman, what planet would?
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.