Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Heroes of other worlds? (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Heroes of other worlds?
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I love the Tamaran story and group!

I'd have to alter the history slightly because the planet was destroyed and most of the population with it.

Vril Dox got involved and moved the dead planet Rann from it's position in space to the Tamaran solar system and causing the planet to regenerate an atmosphere/water and the ability to support life.

The Rannian people settled in and Kormand'r brought her surviving people, most are soldiers and ALL are totally loyal to her, back to the system and they were given a continent to settle and build on.

Tamaran/Rann is also now the site for .LEGION.

I'd make the Black Tamarans be of mixed blood from the two peoples and then go with the rest of your ideas, but you, of course, can do what you want with the info.
[Smile]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight: I love the Tamaran story and group!
Thanks! I kinda like the idea of building off of Komand'r's 'unique' status, sort of like how Mekt Ranzz is so strongly defined by his singleton status on Winath.

I also wanted to pick some 31st century alien heroes who weren't necessarily from a typically Legion-era alien race (such as the Tamaranians, or the Thanagarians).

I had read somewhere that Tamaran had been blown up, they resettled somewhere called 'New Tamaran' and then *that* got blown up too, but I just went with what I remembered of the planet, having been run by Blackfire for a bit in the Wolfman/Perez run, and having some occasional 'throwbacks' that couldn't fly (but still absorbed solar energy, hence Komand'r being able to be modified by the Psions to fire starbolts).

Maybe, over the last 1000 years, somewhere in the 1000 annual reality-rebooting crossover events that occured, Tamaran was un-destroyed! [Smile]

Was it Superboy Prime's reverse-gendered clone, Supergirl Prime, punching reality? Was it X'Hal being reborn from the heart of Vega, using some sort of Durlan fusion-reaction to kickstart her back to life (and sanity) sort of like how an electrical shock can knock a human heart back into cycle? Who knows. Given the way the DCU works, and the frequent obliterations and reconstructions of places like Gotham City, Khandaq, Thanagar, Atlantis, etc., Tamaran was probably reconstructed and re-destroyed a couple dozen times in the next century alone! [Smile]

For the purposes of the Black Watch, all that really matters is that they are on a planet named Tamaran (which may or may not be the original), and are descendents from Koriand'r and Komand'r's people.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
More Heroes from Other Worlds!

From Cargg;

Trinary, unofficial Robotican ‘ambassador’ to Cargg, Trinary has abandoned her original name, having been ‘assimilated’ during the Robotican 'troubles,' and being one of the few survivors of the process to refuse to be cured of the changes made. Unwelcome on Cargg, as they find her appearance and demeanor ghastly (and her family in particular is aggrieved by her conversion). Can meld into a single unit, but rarely does, preferring to remain three heavily cyborged humanoids, connected in a single group mind by laser-like light flickering from the crowns of their heads. They are stronger and more durable than a standard Carggite, as their armored hide and mechanically-reinforced limbs would suggest, and have computer like mental processing abilities. They can use their laser-links to attempt to seize control of nearby machinery, or even to blind or ‘reprogram’ (hypnotize, with some sublimal information exchange) some humanoids! Additionally, they can re-wire their hands to deliver a potent electrical jolt.

Lifeline, born with no ability to triplicate, much later it was discovered that when he died (in an accident), a duplicate appeared nearby. Now he fights crime fearlessly, knowing that no matter what happens to him, he wakes up in a new body (generally within 10 yards) within moments of his death, ready to continue the fight.

Triple Sun – When they unite, this Carggite transforms into a 3 meter across miniature sun, generating intense heat and light, and noticeable gravity. They can move along slowly in this form, a danger to all around them. After the fusion accident that burned away their fleshly form, they can only take on humanoid form by triplicating into three humanoid selves, each with their own solar-related powers. Separated, one can ignite into flames that do not harm him, and, with effort, fling fire a short distance from himself in a plume of burning hydrogen gas, the second can glow with blinding intensity light, and radiate it in specific areas in pinpoint beams, while the third generates gravitational attraction, allowing him to draw things to himself, or to repel himself from the ground and fly.

Wing, Mask & Comm – Adventurous and independent as a young woman, one of her selves fell into an ice-crevasse on an expedition to the northern polar regions, and was badly hurt. Unwilling to leave her, her other two selves rappelled down to her and together sought another way out (unable to climb back with her). Instead they found a crashed alien escape pod (the source of the crevasse in the first place) that had been there for centuries, and inside, three small pods that *might* have been emergency beacons, or dangerous defensive weapons. They gambled and each activated a different pod, being flooded with nanites that granted them abilities. Wing’s nanites reflected and redirected gravity around herself, allowing flight, and she can inject nanites into others to grant them flight as well, for a brief time (the more they use it, the shorter time the anti-gravityy charge lasts). Mask’s nanites adapt her body to any environmental condition, and, by touch, can be used to adapt another’s body to their surrounding environment for up to 30 days. Comm’s nanites rewired her brain and nervous system to allow perception and transmission of radio frequencies, and by touch can wire others to be able to hear and transmit to her (although she can’t give them the ability to overhear any frequency or broadcast on any frequency). Comm can also interface with machinery, or even animals, in this fashion, and download their data or influence their actions or ‘jack’ their senses. Unfortunately, the effects of the nanite injections have rendered them unable to merge, and they are forever seperate, although able to share their powers, allowing them to go on even greater adventures together, to the bottom of the sea or into orbital space, using their ability to share powers of flight, life support and communication.

[ June 12, 2012, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Set

From 'Great Mother Ocean;'

Starback, Axeun of Hyrkraius has the gift of spaceworthy flight using fire generated by igniting the methane aura he constantly generates and replenishes. Even when not using his powers, his nodes glow with ruddy heat, rendering him inscrutable (and intimidating!) by his people’s standards, as they cannot read his mood and his communications lack emotional context. He can manipulate his fiery aura to generate solar-flare-like prominences that arc towards foes as if alive, avoiding intervening obstacles. He can generate fiery discharges from any part of his 'corona,' allowing him to change course and ‘jink’ with great agility in the vacuum of space.

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, I'm floored by how awesome all your ideas are.

I can't even pick which ones I like best. Colony Queen, Cosmic Girl and Augment are among the most unique, though.

From Naltor -

Dreamcatcher doesn't have any dreams of her own. Instead, she steals the dreams of others and brings them to life. The stronger and more vivid the dream, the sooner it will come true.

Her family learned this the heard way when a stampede occured outside their home in the city. Dreamcatcher's sister declared, "Just like in my dream!"

They thought it was just normal Naltorian precognition at work. But when a guest from Earth stayed at their home - and dreamed of a rain of fish during the hot Naltorian summer - and the town found itself submerged in flopping piscine creatures - they guessed the truth.

Given the unreliability of her powers, Dreamcatcher elected to become a doctor. When her patients dream of getting well, she tries to catch those dreams in order to cure them.

[ May 28, 2012, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

From Aleph:

Thanot, Kinetix's brother, was empowered by another artifact their mother found. Instead of bringing objects to life, he can bring living things to a temporary death... His touch transforms them into inert materials. Diamond, coal, wood, what have you. He can restore them, but must do so after six hours or else they permanently turn into said material.

He has wisely avoided trying to turn things into liquid or gaseous forms.

He's been working as a paramedic. By transmuting accident victims into inanimate objects, he can "freeze" their injuries until they are transported to a hospital. He was also awarded a medal for ssving several people by turning them into iron during a flash flood. Seeing the changes his sister Kinetix has undergone has made him adamantly opposed to superheroing himself, though.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Ooh, I like Dreamcatcher! That's a neat power.

Thanot's power is cool, and I like how he has found a way to use a life-stealing power to save lives. (I was thinking of giving him a death-related power as well, only to fine-tune his ability to kill stuff to target disease organisms, parasites or tumors or the like, without harming the rest of a person.)

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Thanks, Set! I had to go back and edit Dreamcatcher's origin, when i realized that the stampede could simply be her sister's precognition at work (however unlikely a stampede was).

Re Thanot, I thought death vs. life too, but I also wanted to relate his powers to inanimate objects.

--------------------

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad this thread got bumped!

Trinary, Dreamcatcher and Starback are all pretty awesome (though admittedly Starback does make my inner 12 year old snigger with the idea of flying by virtue of lit methane)...I like the idea though that Starback would be considered pretty intimidating to a Hykraian for reasons that would most likely not register for an offworlder all that much...

Here are some more contributions:

The White Sage is an enigmatic figure from Bgtzl. Cloaked in white robes which obscure his identity and give him a supernatural appearance, he has the same intangibility abilities as any native Bgtzlr with a little something extra...he has the psychometric ability to experience the recent history of anything or anyone he passes through.

The White Sage will often appear at homicide scenes and be able to identify a victim's murderer by walking through their corpse. Obviously this only works if the victim themselves was aware of their murderer, but even if they died unaware of who killed them he can usually gain enough clues to investigate further. Because he psychically experiences what happened as if it were happening to himself, he has had to learn to distance himself emotionally from other people and he therefore comes across as quite aloof and even creepy to anyone around him...he is unmistakably one of the good guys though, as he always uses his abilities to avenge crimes and help the innocent.

Tranquility is the resident superheroine of Earth's own moon. Amoris Riccioli was the first child born to the Lunar colony, and very soon after her birth her family realised she was something special. She was always a placid child, and those around her found her presence to be calming. As she grew older, she learned that she had a form of empathic influence over others. She could calm people down if they were angry, soothe their pain or grief, and even inspire feelings of loyalty and love where those feelings never existed. She never used these abilities selfishly though, only ever to help those around her.

As time went on, something else became apparent about Amoris. She never got sick, she healed quickly from any injury, and she aged extremely slowly. Even now, hundreds of years after the moon was settled, she physically appers to be in her late teens.

She always acted in the best interests of those around her anyway, but inspired by the Legion of Superheroes Amoris has recently designed a costume for herself and adopted the codename Tranquility, after the feeling she inspires in others (and also for the Sea of Tranquility, her birthplace). She has always felt a strong sense of connectedness to her lunar home, and never felt the slightest urge to leave. This is for the best, as what nobody (including Amoris) realises is that her powers are the Greek goddess Selene's final gift to humanity before her pantheon left Earth's plane completely. They will only function while she is on the lunar surface, and if Tranquility were ever to leave the moon her centuries of life would catch up with her and she would die of old age in moments.

[ May 28, 2012, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: razsolo ]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

I wonder if we should attempt to write a fic using all these characters we're creating.

From Starhaven -

Spirit Guide is a a much sought-after "guide" because she can see the paths people may take in their lives. A session with her will involve her walking you through the potential consequences of major life choices you may make. She can even suggest several paths you may consider in the distant future. She's a precog, in a way, but focuses on the "maybes" instead of the "definitelies".

--------------------

Set

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac: I wonder if we should attempt to write a fic using all these characters we're creating.
Oh gosh, there's just too many! Still, it could be fun to use some of them!

From Braal;

Doctor Polaris, M.D., this ambitious and supremely confident young woman was born with weaker than racial average magnetic abilities, which she has made the best of by learning to use them on a micro-scale (which normal Braalians can rarely do, lacking the fine control), allowing her to read and manipulate signals in machinery, re-program computers, or even affect the human(oid) nervous system, causing paralysis or even jerky physical manipulation. Barely able to lift a couple of kilos off the ground, magnokinetically, but able to interfere with brain functions and knock people out with a touch, or a few moments concentration, at relatively close range. Keen magnetic perception and training allow her to function as a living MRI, or ‘EMP’ living organisms. She is a trained physician, and has some medical applications for magnetism as well, to prevent shock or accelerate healing (to a very limited degree!). Is well-aware that there used to be a villain with magnetic powers named Dr. Polaris, and ironically says that she’s just following in the footsteps of Brainiac 5, reclaiming the name of a villain from the dustbin of history.

[ May 28, 2012, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Set

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
The White Sage
Tranquility

I like the White Sage's concept. It's kind of like a more passive version of what Quislet does, but instead of passing into an object and seizing control of it (and eventually destroying it), White Sage passes through a character and sort of let it all sift through him on a molecular level, learning all about it.

Tranquility's ties to Selene are very cool! I made up a 'Moon Maiden' ages ago in some other thread, but I think I like the link between Tranquility's powers and the Sea of Tranquility and Selene better. That's some nicely tied-together backstory! (The aging-to-death if she leaves the moon thing could suck for her, though!)

From the Sorcerer's World (not a hero, by any stretch of the imagination!);

Mauvais Mal Sang is a blood mage. By preparing an item with a few drops of his own blood, he can manipulate it via spells that simulate telekinesis, pyrokinesis or weather control effects. He can make ‘flame powder’ or ‘alchemist’s fire’ for instance, or a sealed clay pot that when opened releases a great cloud of fog, or a sack that produces a gust of wind, or a ‘winged knife’ or enchant his staff to allow him to fly (as long as he holds on tight!), or do the same to his clothing (much safer!). He’s also a whiz at both magical and mundane arts of blood analysis and can manipulate another person’s mind or body (or spy on them, read their emotions, etc.) by getting his blood on or in them. Getting his hands on someone elses blood allows him to do all sorts of divinations upon them. Through direct blood manipulation he can cause someone he’s touching to experience excruciating pain (or pleasure!), and can heal or harm, to a limited extent (pain is caused by manipulating flow of blood telekinetically, or by heating it up pyrokinetically, or by ‘turning blood to water’). He didn't start out intending to be a ‘super-villain,’ but definitely a charismatic problem character, as he’s got a blood cult and uncertain ambitions... If the Legion foils his plans, he’s likely to become the Legion of Super-Villains go-to person for magical solutions. (Would be Brother Blood, for the new century, works off of Sorcerer’s World, for the most part, attempting to build his cult.) Carries an assortment of notched knives for ritual bloodletting.

[ May 28, 2012, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Set

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Spirit Guide

I like that Spirit Guide is less of a costumed adventurer, and more of a 'person with powers' who serves as more of a plot element, offering counsel and guidance to a character, rather than running around solving crimes and getting into fistfights. It's a neat practical power, and the sort of thing that might be good at averting crimes before they happen (by steering lost or confused or misguided people towards better paths in life).

It's kind of where I was going with Link, but he's uber-specialized in dealing with Winathian singletons, whereas Spirit Guide's counsel can help all sorts of folk.

From Titan;

Obyria Sajh, ‘the Titanian Supergirl.’ Obyria has developed the ability to use her natural telepathy to communicate at ranges of several thousand kilometers (most Titanians are limited to a couple hundred yards, or, at most, a kilometer or two), although she does not have the ability to deeply probe minds, telepathically ‘shout’ to mental blast others, edit memories, create illusions, etc. (Like most Titanian telepaths not named Imra, her telepathy is purely for communication, and she can no more use telepathy to seize control of another persons’ mind or body than the average Earth-human could shatter a glass by singing at it.) She also has a greatly developed gift for mind over body / biofeedback techniques, which most Titanians can use only to meditate and block mild pain and the like, but she can use to place her body in a state of near-stasis, while yet remaining active, allowing her to ignore extremes of temperature and pressure, hunger, pain, thirst, fatigue, etc. and even to survive in the vacuum of space unprotected (her limited telekinetic gifts even help her to retain body heat and shield off the effects of ambient radiation). Finally, she has the rarest of Titanian psychic gifts, that of telekinesis, although she can only affect her own body, and use her power to levitate herself from the ground. Most Titanians with this gift can only levitate while meditating, a meter off of the ground, but she can propel herself from the ground into orbit with her power, and fly at speeds comparable to hovercraft. While something of a legend on Titan, she smiles at the thought of joining the Legion, since her amazing powers are matched by the ‘abilities’ that every Legionnaire is handed upon acceptance, in the form of their Legion Flight Ring, transsuit and telepathic earplugs...

[ May 28, 2012, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Set

More from Titan! Why should Earth, Xanthu and Lallor be the only worlds to have their own hero teams?

Introducing, Team Titan, a group of (mostly) Titanian telepaths who specialize in different forms of highly specific telepathic perception and manipulation, each an expert without peer in their specific area of focus.

Adjudicator Wei Krim specializes in perceiving and manipulating sensory information. He is able to interact with / manipulate / perceive sensory information *before* it reaches the brain, bypassing most telepathic / psychic defenses or perceptions. A near photographic memory and special interface implant (built by his teammate, Jianni) that allows him to store sensory information (his own or that received from others) into special holo-crystals. Illusions, blinding foes, spying on people by tapping into their senses without them knowing it are his specialties when action is called for. He’s an older curmudgeonly sort, fanatically law-abiding, of Tibetan ancestry.

Operative Dren MacLaren, focuses his telepathic talent to perceive & manipulate emotions. He plays the role a promiscuous playboy, with a reputation for using his powers to ‘get lucky,’ but does not abuse his powers in this manner (although he does manipulate his *own* emotions, to fill himself with self-confidence!). Generally mistrusted by anyone who hasn’t met him, due to his openly working for the Titanian government intelligence and security apparatus, and doesn’t use his powers to change this perception. Prevents fights when possible by reducing fear and aggression, but once it’s ‘on,’ he cuts loose with fear and uncertainty attacks (while bolstering allies confidence). Young redhead of uncertain ancestry.

Dr. Oro Milosynos, highly skilled at perceiving and manipulating memories, is a middle-aged slightly out of shape professional psychiatrist of African ancestry. He's very friendly and acts more like Operative MacLaren is expected to act, becoming everybody’s confident, even against their better judgement. The Operative is a red herring, to draw attention away from the good Doctor’s own ties to Titanian intelligence and the military. In combat, the good Doctor makes foes forget why they are foes, how their weapons work, or even how to walk and talk, in extremis!

Jianna Mirali wears a special helmet of her own design that allows her to telepathically interface with & control machines. She's the youngest member of the team, a mixed heritage Asian with tattoos and piercings and multi-colored hair, drawing attention away from her keen technical mind. She carries storage media allowing her to download information telepathically to her own data-stores, and has an assortment of nonlethal weapons, some of her own design (such as psi-grenades that generate ‘psychic static’ and disorient unshielded telepaths). She could also call herself ‘doctor,’ as she has two doctorates (and would have a third if she didn’t get bored and tell off her advisor, telling him that she knew more about his field of study than he did, which was true, if not the most diplomatic approach…), but finds the notion pretentious (and gently chides her teammates by only addressing them by their titles, in a sarcastic tone of ‘voice’).

Prince Anaxander, the only non-Titanian (and non-telepath) on the team, is a Muus, an anthropomorphic rat-man, descended from the hyper-intelligent rats of Dakota created during the ‘Big Bang’ on Earth, 1000 years ago (how they got off-world, nobody knows). He’s a Psi-Null, immune to all psychic forces, and able to disrupt all psionic energy in an area, or specifically focus to negate the psychic abilities of a single individual at range. He is not really a prince. (All Muus lie about that sort of thing, making up fanciful titles or honorifics for themselves when off-world, which few are, as they are still developing the combustion engine on their ‘home-world,’ a ruined world that was abandoned after a World War involving biological, chemical and nuclear weapons devastated it. The hardy Muus live in the ruins of that civilization, and number in the hundreds of thousands, mutated in various ways, from rat-sized to horse-sized, rat-shaped to fully-anthropomorphic to tauroid!)

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

I find your Team Titan idea VERY interesting! Not just how you split the telepathic abilities amongst them, but also how you came up with personalities to match. I'd definitely read a mini about them.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Spirit Guide

I like that Spirit Guide is less of a costumed adventurer, and more of a 'person with powers' who serves as more of a plot element, offering counsel and guidance to a character, rather than running around solving crimes and getting into fistfights. It's a neat practical power, and the sort of thing that might be good at averting crimes before they happen (by steering lost or confused or misguided people towards better paths in life).

It's kind of where I was going with Link, but he's uber-specialized in dealing with Winathian singletons, whereas Spirit Guide's counsel can help all sorts of folk.

Yes, I see the link with Link. But whereas Link "suggests" via synch, I see Spirit Guide as more of a counselor. People go to her and ask, "I have choice A and choice B. What could happen if I choose A?" And Spirit Guide shows them the possible outcomes. And Spirit Guide will "show" them how. She's very hands off and doesn't have any powers of influence at all.

In the Wheel of Time series, there are devices which can show certain people the possible outcomes of their actions. That's what I was aiming for with Spirit Guide [Smile]

I like Link's concept, though. Very shades of grey, so to speak.

--------------------

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.