Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Soooo now that we are gonna need a new Academy class... (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Soooo now that we are gonna need a new Academy class...
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
I'm afraid that I also seriously dislike ape people.
[Frown]

Inside, I am crying...
I'm sorry KQ, but I had to be honest.
Or not, I guess.
Consider it unsaid.
[Hug]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I'd like to see the Legion split into a few different sub-teams (like the old days when there was an Avengers West Coast, or an X-Men 'Gold Team' and 'Blue Team').

Instead of trying to maintain a bunch of ongoing series, a group of six to twelve Legionnaires could be assigned to a particular section of the UP, and go on adventures there for a six issue or twelve issue story arc.

The UP, in theory, is a *big* place, so it would make sense for them not to be all bunched up on Earth, possibly *months* away from some of the outer rim territories.

Splitting the Legion up into, say, three teams, and focusing on one team at a time, only gathering *all* of the Legion together for epic events every couple of years, could allow for more in-depth characterization of individual members (as every couple of issues doesn't have to feature cameos by Legionnaires who aren't involved with this particular sub-team).

One of the sub-teams could even be the Espionage Squad! Not only would they have a more local region (being most active in the political heart of the UP, perhaps), but they'd also have a different style and different sorts of plots than the more 'deep space action' teams.

Yes, I've always liked the idea of Legion sub-teams.
They would be a wonderful way to establish new books at some time, too, like the Academy in Adventure.
[Yes]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I'd like to see the Legion split into a few different sub-teams (like the old days when there was an Avengers West Coast, or an X-Men 'Gold Team' and 'Blue Team').

Instead of trying to maintain a bunch of ongoing series, a group of six to twelve Legionnaires could be assigned to a particular section of the UP, and go on adventures there for a six issue or twelve issue story arc.

The UP, in theory, is a *big* place, so it would make sense for them not to be all bunched up on Earth, possibly *months* away from some of the outer rim territories.

Splitting the Legion up into, say, three teams, and focusing on one team at a time, only gathering *all* of the Legion together for epic events every couple of years, could allow for more in-depth characterization of individual members (as every couple of issues doesn't have to feature cameos by Legionnaires who aren't involved with this particular sub-team).

i beleive they tried this in post zero hour days, with Legion of super heroes concentrating on the space station legionaires and then in the Legionaires title was those based on Earth. they were supposed to roate in and out but it never quite worked out that way....

but i do agree that for this legion and having more members that would work great!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Candlelight:
[QB]I'd love to have the White Witch back and a new Amethyst and the return of Zoe.
I'd love it too, if when everyone got pulled out, the Mysa and Dragonmage from Zoe's universe emerged from her, as well.

i also love this idea! i feel like we've all had it! if only Paul would listen!!!!

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
i believe they tried this in post zero hour days, with Legion of super heroes concentrating on the space station legionnaires and then in the Legionnaires title was those based on Earth. they were supposed to rotate in and out but it never quite worked out that way....

but i do agree that for this legion and having more members that would work great!!!

this part was not supposed to be in the quote part! sorry!

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Be careful what you ask for. The first time the idea was tried we got Dr. Mayavale and the Space Circus!

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd love a gorilla from Gorilla City to join the Academy. Maybe an albino one building on Timber Wolf's time in the 21st century Gorilla City during the JLA/JSA/LSH teamup?

It'd be funny if the young primate was constantly looking for Brin and didn't really believe it when the Legionnaires told him or her about Brin's status. T-Wolf could be a figure of myth or legend for Gorilla City!

I'd prefer Kent Shakespeare show up as age-equivalent to the senior Legionnaires. Maybe as a medic for the ICC on a mission with Dev-em? I really would like to see Dev, at any rate.

Of course, new students to the Academy wouldn't have to be young, would they? Harmonia Li has blown the age restrictions right out of the constitution, if they were still in place at all.

More than anything, I'd want to see a Lallorian student. One with friendly ties to the Heroes of Lallor, which necessitates their frequent guest-starring turns.

I'd like the Gorilla City and Lallor students to be new characters, not readaptations of preexisting ones.

Sizzle, Dragonmage, Jazmin Cullen (it'd be funny if Cosmic Boy stalked her in a creepier variant of how Night Girl landed him!), Devlin Orion (make him related to The Hunter), a young Andromeda, Sensor (*not* Jeka but still from Orando, where we discover the snakes have always lived in the tropical part of the planet in peaceful coexistance with the humans- well, peaceful since JecKie's ancestor stopped the sending of knights out on quests to slay them...)

Monstress- personality intact, though with more savage moments- but vastly reinterpreted in look. No more feminized Hulk.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
For Dragonmage (or any mage, really, even Glorith), I'd rather see someone more like Mysa, originally, able to cast spells, but *not* able to just fling magical bolts around and create magical force fields. 'Magic-user' should not be 'Green Lantern.' I wanna see spells, rites, charms, glyphs, conjurings, glamers, enchantments, potions and hexes, not 'I shoot magic lazors! Pew pew!'
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I always wished they had used Dragonmage's dragon-spell casting as a real limitation...making it so that any spell he cast had to be something you could justifiably attribute to a dragon.

It still leaves the door open for a lot of versatility, but would have also made him something other than a generic sorcerer...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Infectious Lass II (or maybe even the original), Molecular Lad (same look, but not an android), Devilfish. Kinetix would be fun as well.
Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: I always wished they had used Dragonmage's dragon-spell casting as a real limitation...making it so that any spell he cast had to be something you could justifiably attribute to a dragon.
Even if it just played up the dragon-manifestations, and had them be some sort of energy-constructs he created, through which stuff like fire-breath and feats of strength would be manifested, that could have been cool and distinctive.

We haven't had much in the way of Legionnaires who summon minions or companion creatures, so that would be a new area to explore.

Smaller dragonforms could be used as spies or scouts, while larger ones as mounts or combat-assistance (not that the Legion needs mounts, with their Flight Rings, but they may encounter a situation where other people need to be carried to safety...).

By having Dragonmage generally just throw powerful energy blasts, I felt the writers missed an opportunity. Between Lightning Lad, Lightning Lass and Sun Boy (and Mon-El and Ultra Boy, with their heat/flash vision), the Legion isn't hurting for peeps who can throw powerful energy blasts...

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
We haven't had much in the way of Legionnaires who summon minions or companion creatures, so that would be a new area to explore.
[/QB]

Jungle King, where art thou? Extend the power to insects, if he didn't have that already. This could also fulfill my long-standing interest to see Legionnaires with pets, if the character had a permanent companion creature.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

It would be fun if Dragonmage and/or Jungle King could bring forth the same dragons or animals each time, as the need arose.

DM might have 3 to 5 that he has, that are friends or mentors that he can draw on, beings that we could get to know as personalities and powers.

Jungle King might have big cats most of the time,with surprise animals occasionally, that he summons from wherever he is.

I could see Insect Queen summoning bugs, too.

Even Mystery Lad's Gorilla City ape sounds interesting, yes, Laser Ape.
sigh

But no demon or dark magic stuff, imo.
brrrr

[ March 01, 2012, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Set

Someone using a similar mechanic to Raven and her 'soul-self' and having a summoner-type character could be neat. The red-skinned 'Tiger Girl' from the Legion tryouts where Tellus, Quislet, etc. joined the team could have a tiger-shaped 'soul-self' that jumps out of her and functions sort of like a light-construct from one of the Lanterns.

An Insect Queen character who can generate swarms of space-insect creatures our of herself could be cool as well (or a Durlan who can generate small creatures from their own biomass and control them remotely through a chemical or mental link).

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Life Lass's animations would kind of work like pets/summoned animals. It's not clear how long her powers last, but I always imagined visitors to Lallor suddenly running across a chair walking along the sidewalk that LL brought to life years before.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Yes, I always felt that Life Lass had a lot of potential. I really liked Gas Girl, too.
They'd be great additions to the Academy or the Legion.

I've read soul-self stories, besides Raven. In some they become just extensions but the more interesting ones have forms that become separate at some point. Diane Duane wrote one of a girl who contained a dragon. There was another story where the royal family that could become mythical creatures at about puberty.
That was one of the best short stories that I've ever read, actually.

--------------------

Come, join me!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.