Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes v7 #7... Spoilers and Stuff! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes v7 #7... Spoilers and Stuff!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So I found this another issue that was okay, but not anything too exciting. I still felt like I was missing a whole bunch of background on the main story that I needed in order to actually care about any of it. There was some pretty nice action sequences this issue, but it felt really short overall.

Harmonia didn't become any more endearing being used in the "Let's show how cool she is by having her take out the villain who just showed how badass he is by taking out the much more experienced Legionnaire" scene. Some of the bad guy gang seemed like they might have been kind of interesting, if they'd been given names and more development. Was Fire-Breather Lass's sister even named? I don't remember. I liked seeing Comet Queen in action, however.

Dominators apparently breeding a genetically engineered army with Daxamite powers. Meh. Doesn't sound like anything really interestingly new.

New leadership election? Here's hoping someone other than Brainy gets it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Preview pages from Comics Continuum:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/legion71.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/legion72.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/legion73.htm
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1203/20/legion74.htm

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^The fact that there's two splash pages in the preview probably gives some indication of why it felt short. [Frown]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't like the cover. With the first issue and last issue of the previous series featuring hands, did we really need another hand cover? Maybe try a foot next time. Or an elbow? Anything. Enough with the hand covers already.

The story itself was fine, if as EDE points out, nothing spectacular. I'm still enjoying the new kids and we continue to learn a bit more about them. It was nice to see Harmonia in a costume, and I enjoyed the interactions between her and Comet Queen. Portela continues to do a nice job, but I'm excited to see the Lightle and Cinar fill ins next issue.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz does this thing where he uses the same word to end one scene and open the next. He did it 5 times in this issue, by my count. It can be effective on occasion, but he does it so much that it's become annoying. It's one of the things about his writing that, imo, makes the dialog seem unnatural.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah.
He's annoying on a number of levels, that Levitz.

I'm not sure about Harmonia's costume.
I kind of love it, I think.

Unfortunately, it's newness makes the old rags that most of the Legionnaires are wearing look even more . . . old, and minimal in the Legionnesses case.
[Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Ha, Dragonwing's acid spit is accompanied by a PTUI!

Not enough super-heroes have Ptui! as a sound effect.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, Portela's art just keeps getting better and better, huh?

Dragonwing is surprisingly likeable these days! As much as I dislike that the new recruits were added ahead of old Academy students/Subs/Heroes of Lallor even, I have to admit that they have been exactly what Levitz needed to get some life into this book I think! [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdpinball
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdpinball   Email jdpinball         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this was a pretty good issue. The art is fantastic and the new recruits are starting to develop nicely. I agree that the group of villains could have used a bit more development or maybe a less is more approach with a smaller group. I'm curious why the Legionaires didn't see the connection between the phoenix gang and the lava lake?
From: EARTH | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
I didn't like the cover. With the first issue and last issue of the previous series featuring hands, did we really need another hand cover? Maybe try a foot next time. Or an elbow? Anything. Enough with the hand covers already.

The cover didn't really correspond to anything in the issue either, did it? I'm pretty sure no characters were at danger of being drowned/melted in lava, unless we're supposed to take it as a metaphor?

quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Levitz does this thing where he uses the same word to end one scene and open the next. He did it 5 times in this issue, by my count. It can be effective on occasion, but he does it so much that it's become annoying. It's one of the things about his writing that, imo, makes the dialog seem unnatural.

Hmm... It actually bothered me less this issue than it has in the past few. I think he was slightly more subtle about it this time around, but I can't say I'm really a fan of the technique.
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice interior art. Agree that the story and cover left me unimpressed. So Harmonia actually does have powers, huh? About time we saw her use them. But I don't see how she earned her membership when all she's done so far is hang out in the lab, as opposed to all those veteran academy students who got shoved aside after years of training. And now she's a full-fledged member before she even demonstrates her power? It makes no sense to me.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
It was a battlefield commission?
They happen rarely in the Legion, but there is a presidence set with Shadow Lass.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
It was a battlefield commission?
They happen rarely in the Legion, but there is a presidence set with Shadow Lass.

And Mysa. And Blok.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Shadow Lass was president?

Harmonia didn't enter battle until after it was established she was a member did she?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.