Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes v7 #7... Spoilers and Stuff! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes v7 #7... Spoilers and Stuff!
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

Harmonia as a Legionnaire is still weird. ... I think I *could* quite like her as a Legionnaire were it not for the fact that she changed from powerless support cast to powered active member of the team overnight and without explanation.

Last but not least...I don't really know what Sun Boy actually did? Or what the saboteurs did? This seems to be a continuing pattern in Levitz's stuff since the start of the last series, where characters do....something....which saves the day or is obviously intended to have dramatic effect, but it's not ever really made obvious what they did? Or am I just being dumb in this case? [Razz]

Agreed. And what about Dragonwing suddenly being all Legion-loyal and able to kick multiple villain butts all by herself. Where did that come from?

And what did the big bad guy do that was so powerful it knocked Cham out of commission?

Levitz is writing in outline form. It happens too often that we don't see things develop, we don't see the aftermath of actions.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

Interesting that Paul chose to include two "Chinese" Legionnaires.

Yeah, but a lot more credible than having 10 Legion-qualifying kids born in Metropolis. Just sayin'.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
True, considering China has the biggest population NOW, and there's little reason to think the trend won't continue for some time.

I wonder if Paul will include an Indian Legionnaire later on?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The "lesson" of the story would have been more effective too, if we'd seen Cham being cocky/careless. I just assumed he got taken out because his opponent was vastly more powerful - certainly not Cham's fault!

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

That would be nice. We've had four Khundian Legionnaires, but no one from India? Bad marketing move. Indians are much more likely to buy comic books that Khundians are.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
The "lesson" of the story would have been more effective too, if we'd seen Cham being cocky/careless. I just assumed he got taken out because his opponent was vastly more powerful - certainly not Cham's fault!

Yeah, I really thought Cham was being too hard on himself there (which is understandable given the Legion's track record lately) and that Dragonwing was just showing her unfamiliarity with the team by being shocked he could be taken out so easily. That Phoenix guy was obviously pretty powerful, so I just assumed he had been physically stronger than Cham....and while Cham can make himself LOOK very physically imposing, I don't think he can ACTUALLY make himself that much stronger...

re: Dragonwing's pro-Legion attitude...I actually liked that and found it endearing. It strikes me that she plays the hardened cynic with the Legion because that's been her defence mechanism generally in life, but she must actually believe in their ideals...otherwise why would she have wanted to join them in the first place, and why would they have wanted her? It's nice to see that when the chips are down she isn't just in it for the power, and to me it's a good step in validating her membership.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by KryptonKid:
quote:

That would be nice. We've had four Khundian Legionnaires, but no one from India? Bad marketing move. Indians are much more likely to buy comic books that Khundians are.
Second most populous nation after China too!

PS, I'm also pleased we have two Chinese Legionnaires plus possible Asian descent from Chemical Kid. I'm of Chinese descent myself [Wink]

quote:

re: Dragonwing's pro-Legion attitude...I actually liked that and found it endearing. It strikes me that she plays the hardened cynic with the Legion because that's been her defence mechanism generally in life, but she must actually believe in their ideals...otherwise why would she have wanted to join them in the first place, and why would they have wanted her? It's nice to see that when the chips are down she isn't just in it for the power, and to me it's a good step in validating her membership.[/QB]

Good point! I didn't find it particularly jarring either. Then again, I think most people just commented on that because the solits kept screaming, "Can Dragonwing learn about teamwork blah blah". Seemed like they were trying hard to portray her as a lone wolf type, but I never saw her as a person who shunned her teammates (hellOOOO, she kept partying with Chem Kid and CQ in the Academy). Maybe a bit private, but not someone who really needed to learn about teamwork.

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
re: Dragonwing's pro-Legion attitude...I actually liked that and found it endearing. It strikes me that she plays the hardened cynic with the Legion because that's been her defence mechanism generally in life, but she must actually believe in their ideals...otherwise why would she have wanted to join them in the first place, and why would they have wanted her? It's nice to see that when the chips are down she isn't just in it for the power, and to me it's a good step in validating her membership.[/QB]

I believe that's what Levitz was trying to portray, but for me it seemed to come out of nowhere and lacked the setup it needed to have an emotional punch.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Dragonwing's antisocial attitude is another reason it seems implausible to me that she was accepted as a Legionnaire in favor of some of her fellow academy alum predecessors who strived for years to become members. Now Levitz is trying to do a flip flop on her over night. And how does Harmonia deserve membership over all those others either for that matter? At the very least, doesn't she violate the age limit?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher: At the very least, doesn't she violate the age limit?
Probably not much more than Mon-El, I suppose.

Of the list of reasons she doesn't work for me, her age is near the bottom.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not even sure that the age limit exists in this current version of the Legion. Heck, I can't even figure out how old most of the members are supposed to be.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe how much I continue to be this unenthused by a Legion title. I'm tiring of this 'oh wow look what real legionnaires can do' attitude by the recruits... they seem like they should still be in the Academy. Would have preferred that they were still students and occasionally used on missions as a 'work placement' kind of schooling and slowly earning their place in the Legion full-time.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Just a general comment about the Legion standards - I was disappointed when the code against killing was sort of shelved when Invisible Kid 'accidentally' killed a Khund with his uncontrolled powers. More recently, Earth Man is an outright killer and gets membership with little fuss. Harmonia Li is indirectly responsible for the destruction of Titan and its millions of citizens, yet self-appoints herself as a Legionnaire. Also, what happened to any age requirements? Isn't H-Li a thousand years old? Tried and true and respectable Legionnaires such as Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl and Colossal Boy and now maybe Chameleon Boy are being shown the door and are being replaced by punks and others of dubious background.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah! You tell 'em, KQ!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually enjoyed this issue quite a lot, although this is possibly because I had very low expectations going into it. I thought Comet Queen and Harmonia were very impressive -- although I agree that Paul really needs to explain who Harmonia is.

quote:
Last but not least...I don't really know what Sun Boy actually did? Or what the saboteurs did? This seems to be a continuing pattern in Levitz's stuff since the start of the last series, where characters do....something....which saves the day or is obviously intended to have dramatic effect, but it's not ever really made obvious what they did? Or am I just being dumb in this case? [Razz]

Paul has had this problem for quite a long time. I still don't quite understand the plot of his Legion of Super-Villains story from v3.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.