Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Bleedingcool Rumors: Giffen, Lightle (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bleedingcool Rumors: Giffen, Lightle
ajohns2012
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajohns2012           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion-related post (with fairly long discussion thread following) over on BleedingCool.com. Gist of it is:

- September brings #0 issues to all DC 52 titles.
- Giffen will be joining Legion with #0 (not specified in what capacity).
- Lightle is new permanent cover artist.

A Johns

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... we knew before that Giffen would be joining Levitz for something, but this sounds like it will be more longterm than expected. Let's hope he can breathe some life into the book!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Even if Giffen only came in to pencil Levitz's stories, it might be just what the LSH needs.

The Baxter series under levitz was seriously dull and stagnant when Giffen came back and jazzed up proceedings with issue 50.

"Life and death and the end of time" is one of my all time favorites. So many great stories from issues 50 to 63 of that series. The final fate of the Emerald Empress. Blok's search to find himself. Dream Girl finally kicking Atoms's butt. Luornu further cultivating the fascinating aura of tragedy that surrounded her. Poor Polar Boy failing so bad as leader after waiting so long and trying so hard. Shady's terrifyingly fierce love for Mon-El. Lesbians toying with the emotions of
slowwitted straight boys to the point they become suicidal.

It was all clearly the influence of Giffen's imagination.

Let's hope history repeats itself.

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz and Giffen have turned out some outstanding tales together. I think the credit is typically that Levitz and him work so well from a plotting standpoint and each's individual work pulls together a lot tighter since they have the same vision in the end.

Their collaboration is always welcome to me, though I imagine it may just be for the "0" issue.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No offense meant to Giffen fans, but I think he's the Anti-Christ of super-hero comic books.

It's funny how KC and I are so much on the same page about L.E.G.I.O.N. but so different on Legion. I loved the Greg LaRocque Baxter era, and I wish he had drawn "Life or Death..." because then I'd have been able to forgive the flaws in Levitz's story. I hated almost everything Giffen did during the last year of the Baxter Legion: the new costumes, the death of the Emerald Empress, Magnetic Kid, the bloody Arch-Mage. Paradoxically, the spotlight on Shady, Mon, and Blok in #56 is one of my favorite issues, but that's largely because Eduardo Barreto guest-pencilled it.

I think Giffen is King Midas in reverse. Everything he touches turns to *bleep*.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth, just imagine how boring it would be if we agreed on everything. [Smile]

As has been well noted, it seems legion fans either adore Giffen's later work on the series, or they despise it. Just no middle ground there.

And sadly, no matter how you cut it, there's probably no way Giffen coming aboard will translate in the Legion getting the bump in sales it so desperately needs. The book needs a "hot" artist who can create a buzz.

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Portela is a great artist but maybe doesn't stand out enough. I actually preferred his stuff when he and Cinar were sharing art duties. Since then, Portela seems to have dialed back those expressive flairs that made me really take notice of him at first. I wish he'd go back to them.

As for Giffen, I doubt he'll be on art for more than an issue here and there. I think he's too burnt-out from past runs drawing all those characters to return full-time. However, if he returns as ongoing co-plotter with Levitz, I think that could give the stories just the kick they need!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
And, hell, you just CAN'T go wrong with Lightle covers! [No] [No] [No]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Umm.
Maybe you can.
Or rather, I can.
I hate the Nura/Brainy cover.
[Yes] with a [Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
KC, it would be boring indeed. [Smile]

Now it's time for me to disagree with Shady... [Smile]

...and agree with Lardy. [Smile]

I've always felt that Lightle works best as a cover artist, and I think the Nura/Brainy cover is just as good as his past covers.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Future:
Levitz and Giffen have turned out some outstanding tales together. I think the credit is typically that Levitz and him work so well from a plotting standpoint and each's individual work pulls together a lot tighter since they have the same vision in the end.

Their collaboration is always welcome to me, though I imagine it may just be for the "0" issue.

I think that Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen together on the Legion is greater than the sum of the parts.

[ April 21, 2012, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: googoomuck ]

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Giffens plotting and lightle's covers so can't wait!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
I love Giffens plotting and lightle's covers so can't wait!

Harby, while the latter is confirmed, the former is just speculation at this point. Giffen may or may not just be around just for the 'zero' issue.

<== :fingerscrossed:

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Fingers crossed too, which does make typing this reply difficult [Smile]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Future:
Levitz and Giffen have turned out some outstanding tales together.

yeah, they did. thirty years ago.

i really really wish to see someone new (and, possibly, good) writing the legion, for a change.

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.