Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Bleedingcool Rumors: Giffen, Lightle (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bleedingcool Rumors: Giffen, Lightle
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It's hard to believe that the last really "new" writers we've had on the Legion for a long-term run were DnA...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't mind them getting a shot at the regular version of the Legion. They seem to have hit a good vibe with space drama...from what I hear with what they did at Marvel.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I am praying the Giff can re-spark my interest in LSH... one thing is certain to me at any rate: his presence certainly cannot make things worse than they currently are.

PS/ I wouldn't count on seeing Giff's art regularly on LSH but I wouldn't count on not seeing it at all either [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
I wouldn't mind them getting a shot at the regular version of the Legion. They seem to have hit a good vibe with space drama...from what I hear with what they did at Marvel.

*resists urge to slam your use of 'regular'*

Space-wise, DnA are doing their own series, Hypernaturals, now (the #0 issue of which is Boom's FCBD book this year). Unfortunately, they're paired with Brad Walker, the really stiff artist from their GotG run.

There's an interview here and a preview here.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
At this point, I agree with Mr. Kayak in that more than anything I'd like a brand new voice. That being said, I'm optimistic about Giffen's return if it comes to pass. Like Lash says, it can't hurt the series, which has grown increasingly weak.

I don't buy for a minute that he'll do regular art though I'd welcome it in any capacity.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It's hard to believe that the last really "new" writers we've had on the Legion for a long-term run were DnA...

yeah, i find that very sad. especially considering how fresh DnA's legion was, instead of everything that followed.
this book desperately needs some new blood. how bitterly ironic to see that the one DC comics' book set in the future is actually stuck in the past...

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
I am praying the Giff can re-spark my interest in LSH...

i have to say that my interest in the legion is also crippled by the whole dark trend almost every DCU title is living these last few years. right now i'm buying less DC books that i did when i was a student and i hadn't any money.

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:

I actually struggled with what term to use. I didn't want to use 'original,' since this is not the original version in my mind, but the closest we're going to get...and I know we could debate that for hours, and probably a few full threads without reaching a consensus on it.

I still say that if Geoff had any balls, he would have picked up after the 5YL stuff and went from there.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Well this is good news if Giffen can help with the plotting of stories. Levitz is great at throwing initial ideas into the mix but has poor execution.Does this mean we will never get the followup to Projectra’s dream of Karate Kid from the Adventure series? Hopefully Matter-Eater Lad will make an appearance.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Again, for now news of Giffen coming back in some longterm capacity is just speculation. His involvememt in the "zero" issue hasn't even been confirmed, though I think it's pretty likely he'll at least co-plot or even draw that one issue.

Interestingly, one of the big stories this week on BC and the other comics news websites was writer Chris Roberson's cutting ties with DC. Chris is the guy who wrote Star Trek/LSH. Chris stated that he cut ties over DC's treatment of creators and their business practices. Here is an interesting part of his statement:

Sorry. In a better world, characters like the Legion would be owned by a more ethical company, but sadly not in this one.

Now, this could just be a references he used because he'd just done the Star Trek thing. However, I found the mention oddly specific to be a part of his statement. It makes me wonder if he'd been up for replacing Levitz, and it went wrong somehow with his pitch being rejected. And maybe he got wind of where DC wanted to go with the LSH and felt it was a disservice to the characters.

This is pure speculation, but the reference made me go there. It seemed an oddly specific reference when you consider all of the more prominent properties he could have mentioned.

Here's the article from BC. There's not any more info there about the Legion, but you can see what I mean.

[ April 22, 2012, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds to me like it's a reference to a specific fan question about the possibility of him writing the Legion.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Sounds to me like it's a reference to a specific fan question about the possibility of him writing the Legion.

That could very well be the case. It still makes me wonder if something specific set him off and if something Legion-related might have been the spark.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:

That could very well be the case. It still makes me wonder if something specific set him off and if something Legion-related might have been the spark.
I could be wrong but I think what set him off was the whole "Before Watchmen" thing.
Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:

I actually struggled with what term to use. I didn't want to use 'original,' since this is not the original version in my mind, but the closest we're going to get...and I know we could debate that for hours, and probably a few full threads without reaching a consensus on it.
How 'bout "current"?

quote:

Yup. We're not talking private e-mails here, people!
quote:
Scott Throndson ‏ @SThrondson: https://twitter.com/#!/SThrondson/status/192719435826597888
@chris_roberson selfishly that makes me sad because not only are we losing iZombie, I'll never get the LSH title I've been hoping you'd get
Chris Roberson ‏ @chris_roberson: https://twitter.com/#!/chris_roberson/status/192719816715546624
@SThrondson Sorry. In a better world, characters like the Legion would be owned by a more ethical company, but sadly not in this one.

Also:
quote:
Cory Jameson ‏ @ComputerSci5
@chris_roberson What happened? How bad was DC in their treatment of you? I've heard things...

Chris Roberson ‏ @chris_roberson
@ComputerSci5 Less in their treatment of me than in their treatment of others and how they conduct their business in general.

and

quote:
Having an afternoon cocktail to celebrate the end of my time at DC.... iZombie will be the last time I'll ever write for DC.

Kurt Busiek ‏ @KurtBusiek
@chris_roberson "Ever" is a long time. And remember — I do a book for DC because they bought the company I was published by. Alan Moore too!

@KurtBusiek "Ever" here taken to mean "so long as it is essentially the same company it is today."

Not everything is about the Legion...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

That's cool. I'm not a, er, Twitter-er, so I can see now that the quote was out of context. To be fair, the article could have been edited a little better (probably without the Legion reference) to prevent speculation like I made. Honestly, taken out of context, I think it was fair on my part.

--------------------

Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I find ironic that nowadays, unless a book is written by Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison, or isn't Batman, it doesn't sell that great.

So I doubt that having someone like Giffen or Lightle coming on board would make the book sell that much more. we can hope though.

And I certainly hope that when Legion Lost is cancelled (let's face it, it's only a question of time), the characters will be folded back into LSH.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.