Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Pick one Legionnaire to re-imagine! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pick one Legionnaire to re-imagine!
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd pick Blok.

Blok, the World that Walks like a Man!

I'd re-imagine him as a 'world seed.' At the center of some worlds, particularly those who have been around for awhile and are inhabited, there's an elemental presence that forms, and empowers people like the Swamp Thing or possibly Terra or Firestorm, depending on who you ask (and whom you believe...).

One such world crumbled apart, and the spark of sentience that had formed within it sank into a small fragment of it's sundered mass. The Dark Man located this fragment and pulled it from the debris field marking where the world once lay.

Part of the 'evolutionary process' of a world-seed is that it will eventually find a new orbit, and increase in mass as it draws nearby asteroids and the like to itself, growing back into a planetary mass. Blok is unaware of this potential, at the moment, although he has noticed a strange fascination with asteroid belts, such as the one that lies between Mars and Jupiter...

Some day, perhaps a few centuries, or millenia from now (he's in no hurry, as even a couple thousand years is the blink of an eye on a geological scale, and it's not often a planet gets to walk like a man!), Blok will drift out to the asteroid belt, and allow his mass to increase until asteroids are drawn to him, until he becomes the heart of a new planet.

Perhaps a few centuries later, his dreaming consciousness will empower an alien settler on his stony surface with earth-manipulating properties. Perhaps her name will be Terra (or Geo-Force, or Elysion, or Caryatid.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Dawnstar.

I'd like to see more of her life on her homeworld, her family. I'd like her to have a more futuristic, less stereotypical appearance and be more of a combatant rather than just a space-navigator. Or I'd like to see her feeling particular kinship (no pun intended) with other space-faring species and even the technological aspects of ships themselves. And less of her with Wildfire, please!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45: Dawnstar.
Ooh, neat choice. Dawnstar was the most overtly 'transhumanist' Legionnaire, and yet we've seen little of that explored.

Bio-engineered to be a space-adapted life-form? From a baseline human? That's some amazing science, right there!

Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
if i had to re-imagine a character i think it be cool to do Catspaw. I'd rather her be from another planet than earth...there have been several panels where they've shown a race of cat people. but I'm not sure of what the planets name is.

and I'd want to see more of her than just this girl who goes around trying to sleep with her male team members.

Also maybe have her be able to communicate with other Ferrel creatures.

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think making Catspaw from anywhere other than Earth is already a way more interesting point to start from...I like the idea of her being able to communicate with other creatures too.

If I was gonna re-imagine one of the Legionnaires, I would pick Phantom Girl....let's make Bgtzl literally be a 4th dimensional world and not just an alternate version of Earth. Give her the ability to sense things in 4 dimensions rather than 3.

I would also really play up the idea that she is actually coming to a whole other reality when she works with the Legion. Being a Legionnaire for Tinya would be a grand adventure, like visiting Oz or Narnia. I would have her constantly bemused by novelties of 3D space, and conversely have her talking about stuff constantly that is totally outside any of the Legion's frame of reference. Play up a weird kind of friendship between her and Brainy; even though their personalities are so dissimilar, he's the only Legionnaire who can ever really come close to understanding the world the way she does so they naturally have some private jokes and shared experiences that nobody else gets.

She would also have a lot more patience for Quislet than the others do, because she gets where he's coming from a lot of the time with his weird attitudes towards the world around him.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, so many, so many. How to choose?

Timber Wolf: A native of Zoon, a planet of lupine aliens, Brin Londo possesses enhanced strength, speed, agility, nasty claws, and advanced fighting skills. An outcast of his pack (and world) because he is so relatively so small and weak (even Zoonian vixen top seven feet tall) he psychologically needs the “family” of the Legion to stay sane. Just don’t put him in a leadership position: the resulting rush of testosterone makes him overly aggressive and reckless, as his endocrine system tries to turn him into an Alpha male.

[ April 28, 2012, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Klar Ken T5477 ]

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: If I was gonna re-imagine one of the Legionnaires, I would pick Phantom Girl....let's make Bgtzl literally be a 4th dimensional world and not just an alternate version of Earth. Give her the ability to sense things in 4 dimensions rather than 3.
Ooh, nice pick! Tinya has been *said* to have a fourth dimensional spatial nature, but never actually been shown to function in that way, in the comics, which have instead just made her 'intangible girl.'

A person able to interact with a fourth spatial dimension wouldn't pass *through* matter, but would go *around* it, and, to our eyes, perhaps seem to shrink into the object and out the other side, or just 'slide' around it somehow really fast, because our senses can't see into the fourth spatial dimension she's using to sidestep the barrier.

She'd also see through three dimensional matter the same way I can move my head to see on both sides of a piece of paper at the same time.

There's also the question of whether or not she'd treat three dimensional matter as delicate and fragile as we treat ultra-thin substances. Depending on how it works (and there's no guarantee either way), *any* three dimensional material could be as easy for her 4D self to tear through like it was a gauzy sheet of tissue paper. (Which seems to be the way it works for the totally awesome 3rd tier DC character 4D, who knocked Wonder Woman flat with a single blow.)

Phantom Girl's been handled as a girl who can phase through matter long enough that making her an actual 4D entity would be a pretty radical change, but one that could be fascinating.

A totally different re-interpretation could be that Bgtzl is the afterlife (or, at least, [i]an[i] afterlife!), and Tinya (and the rest of her people) are actually ghosts, but they haven't bothered to tell the rest of the United Planets that yet, because they are pretty sure that the living aren't going to be comfortable with the notion that, thanks to Bgtzl joining the United Planets, the dead actually *are* voting...

In any event, Bgtzl has been woefully underexplored. Is there just Bgtzl, a single world, co-terminous with Earth, over there in Bgtzl-space? Is there an entire solar system and a 'Bgtzl-sun' and a 'Bgtzl-Mars?' Are there other races, such as Bgtzl-Atlanteans or Bgtzl-Titanians? Is there an entire other universe 'over there,' and is it one of the 52, or is it entirely different (which each of the 52 potentially having it's own Bgtzl?), and if the 'Bgtzl-verse' has many other worlds, does it have it's own United Planets and it's own teams of super-heroes and / or villains and / or hostile aliens like Bgtzl-Khund or Bgtzl-Dominators?

That's rather a huge amount of unresolved questions about Bgtzl! For simplicity, I think I'd prefer that Bgtzl was just a 'counter-Earth' in another dimensional phase, and there wasn't an entire universe over there.

If there was an entire universe over there, it must be awfully boring, if Tinya has never in all these years had to go over there and fight crime or call on her teammates to help her save Bgtzl from an alien invasion or the Bgtzl-equivalent of Mordru or the Time Trapper!

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I really liked the re-imaging for Triplicate Girl from the three boot. It kind of fits in with her being powered up into Duplicate Damsel. For those who did not read the three boot, Luornu's origin is that she wakes up on Cargg, which is in ruins. She doesn't remember who she is or how she got there. She is the only person there. She then discovers that she is able to duplicate herself multiple times. In this way she repopulates the planet with herself. Three of the duplicates are sent to Earth and end up joining the Legion.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I think making Catspaw from anywhere other than Earth is already a way more interesting point to start from...I like the idea of her being able to communicate with other creatures too.

yeah your right that would be a start! lol.

I would also really play up the idea that she is actually coming to a whole other reality when she works with the Legion. Being a Legionnaire for Tinya would be a grand adventure, like visiting Oz or Narnia. I would have her constantly bemused by novelties of 3D space, and conversely have her talking about stuff constantly that is totally outside any of the Legion's frame of reference. Play up a weird kind of friendship between her and Brainy; even though their personalities are so dissimilar, he's the only Legionnaire who can ever really come close to understanding the world the way she does so they naturally have some private jokes and shared experiences that nobody else gets.

isn't this kind of how she and briany were portrayed in the origin series?

--------------------

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Kinetix, of course. There was nothing wrong with her origin story, but I'd like to explore her feelings of relative powerlessness more. Her thirst for power seemed to stem from feelings of uselessness and imperfection.

I'd have her be "resurrected" by Mysa as a powerless human. She'd be forced to deal with her need for power; she'd eventually realize it was really a need for fulfillment and accomplishment, which she can find in another way by becoming a famous fashion designer or something. When she's got it made, the Emerald Eye comes back for her... and she begins to think, "Can I tame it or not?"

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni:
isn't this kind of how she and briany were portrayed in the origin series?

I haven't read that series, but from what I hear, it is....

On a similar note, it's kind of interesting that Brainy has never shown a more overt interest in Quislet. A sentient energy creature who throws heaps of natural laws out the window? I would have thought that'd be something Brainy would be all over!

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

On a similar note, it's kind of interesting that Brainy has never shown a more overt interest in Quislet. A sentient energy creature who throws heaps of natural laws out the window? I would have thought that'd be something Brainy would be all over![/QB][/QUOTE]

agreed. you would think he would do that..

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Kinetix, of course. There was nothing wrong with her origin story, but I'd like to explore her feelings of relative powerlessness more. Her thirst for power seemed to stem from feelings of uselessness and imperfection.

I'd have her be "resurrected" by Mysa as a powerless human. She'd be forced to deal with her need for power; she'd eventually realize it was really a need for fulfillment and accomplishment, which she can find in another way by becoming a famous fashion designer or something. When she's got it made, the Emerald Eye comes back for her... and she begins to think, "Can I tame it or not?"

i really like this idea. minus the emerald eye part. i feel like she's so tied to it and yet she's never been an empress that i want to see her with out it...

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I sort of re-imagined Shadow Lass in this fanfic:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001080

Although I don't know if it was so much a re-imagining as a re-affirmation, toning down the aspects that I felt were over-the-top (cattiness, bad temper, clinginess) and emphasizing that she's a regal warrior born into a noble legacy.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: On a similar note, it's kind of interesting that Brainy has never shown a more overt interest in Quislet. A sentient energy creature who throws heaps of natural laws out the window? I would have thought that'd be something Brainy would be all over!
Based on his frustrated reaction to the Gil'Dishppan technology after the LSV war / death of Karate Kid, I get the impression that Brainiac 5 has little patience for technology that draws on physical laws he doesn't already subscribe to. In a way, that's kind of neat, since it puts a limit on him (even if it's a self-imposed limit, drawn from his own ego), and explains why he hasn't spend twenty minutes 'figuring out magic' and out-sorcerer-ing the White Witch...

But Quislet is indeed an interesting one. I'd have loved if, instead of an energy being, or the original concept of a single slug-like critter inside the ship, there was a crew of tiny extra-dimensional aliens (not necessarily predominantly humanoid, either!) inside the ship, maybe as many as twenty or thirty of them.

'Quislet' would be the name of the ship, and whoever is sitting in the captain's chair at the time (since they take shifts, no one of them sitting there 24 hours a day!) speaking to the Legionnaires through the ship's communications systems as 'Quislet.'

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.