Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Pick one Legionnaire to re-imagine! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pick one Legionnaire to re-imagine!
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah I like that idea for Quislet, and it's really not too difficult to introduce something like that even now - it would be easy to say that we have only ever really seen him through the filter of the Legion's own perceptions. If the Legion think Quislet is a singular entity, why would he bother pointing out that they're wrong? I can see him getting a laugh out of the whole thing even.

I tend to think that the Quislet we have now is a result of the original entity we knew as Quislet being reabsorbed back into the collective Teallian consciousness, his experiences disseminated into their shared memory, and then them realising that there is SOME value to individuality so they rebuilt him and sent him out to our world again (but with a few personaliy tweaks to make him not SO independent so he could still be controlled).

I also think it would be interesting for the Legion to have to face the idea that just MAYBE Wildfire did the wrong thing helping Quislet escape Teall the first time around, and that maybe for the Teallians, individuality really is a psychiatric condition which needs to be treated. If the whole structure of their universe depends on their flawless cooperation with one another, what sort of chaos would result from introducing the idea that each entity can act in its own self-interest?

Hmmm, I think I am hatching a plot idea......

In sort-of-but-not-really-related news, one of the things I liked about Triad in the reboot was that her three separate personalities were an aberration on Cargg...it would have been cool if that storyline hadn't been painted in a way that made the Carggites look definitively wrong for suppressing their three personalities, but instead left the door open for people to make up their own minds about it...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
[QB

I also think it would be interesting for the Legion to have to face the idea that just MAYBE Wildfire did the wrong thing helping Quislet escape Teall the first time around, and that maybe for the Teallians, individuality really is a psychiatric condition which needs to be treated. If the whole structure of their universe depends on their flawless cooperation with one another, what sort of chaos would result from introducing the idea that each entity can act in its own self-interest?

[/QB]

Do it! i think you'd do it some justice!

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo: I also think it would be interesting for the Legion to have to face the idea that just MAYBE Wildfire did the wrong thing helping Quislet escape Teall the first time around, and that maybe for the Teallians, individuality really is a psychiatric condition which needs to be treated. If the whole structure of their universe depends on their flawless cooperation with one another, what sort of chaos would result from introducing the idea that each entity can act in its own self-interest?
That is intriguing. I'm re-watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix right now, so it reminds me of the Changelings sending a bunch of themselves out to learn new things and then intending to re-absorb them and re-integrate them, only to find that Odo has learned individualistic stuff that doesn't assimilate well. That seems to be a recurring theme, in sci-fi stuff, with Threeboot Luornu being shunned by her other 'selves' for learning too much scary stuff.

Attempts to infect collective species with individuality are standard tropes in shows like the Battlestar Galactica reboot or against groups like the Borg.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Bedard reimagined Dawnstar in dotREBELS.
Starhaven stopped being a luxury colony and became the abducted Anastasi.
They had been taken many centuries before the original colonists, used as experimental subjects by the alien race that stole them and then, abandoned.

All of them could fly, except the girl who would become the reimagined Dawnstar.
She was a cripple and outcast, someone who could track spaceships across the local systems, which was useless to her people and even suspicious to them.

Vril Dox came to get her and convinced her to join his team of misfits and rejects.
He tricked her into getting into a containment suit, after which, he turned her into an energy being, like Wildfire.

Terrible stuff, but now she could fly through space on energy wings and follow the starships she'd only been able to see in her minds eye before.
She also had energy blasts.
Great character and I'm afraid I liked her much better than Dawnstar.
She's called Wildstar.

Gim was reimagined in 3boot, where he was a giant who could shrink to human size, thus he was called, Micro Lad.
Silly.

Shady became Umbra.
<3 Umbra.
sigh

I also love the Paul's origin story for Tinya. I just wish he'd take it further, like, why did her homeworld send her through a wormhole to warn our universe of an invasion?
Kono was a reimagined Tinya, really. She shifted matter or something. I remember her causing badguys to phase through rock, getting stuck there.

Now that I've gotten all of that out of my system, I try to come up with someone to rethink, just for this thread.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
I sort of re-imagined Shadow Lass in this fanfic:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001080

Although I don't know if it was so much a re-imagining as a re-affirmation, toning down the aspects that I felt were over-the-top (cattiness, bad temper, clinginess) and emphasizing that she's a regal warrior born into a noble legacy.

I like that, FL. Preboot Shady annoyed me by being emotional to the point of helplessness - I remember the annual where Computo took over Danielle Foccart's body. Shady pretty much just cried and yelled at Element Lad to save Mon-El, without really doing much in return. Would have liked it better if she'd been more constructive, THEN cried when she and Mon were reunited.

quote:
Originally posted by Omni:
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Kinetix, of course. There was nothing wrong with her origin story, but I'd like to explore her feelings of relative powerlessness more. Her thirst for power seemed to stem from feelings of uselessness and imperfection.

I'd have her be "resurrected" by Mysa as a powerless human. She'd be forced to deal with her need for power; she'd eventually realize it was really a need for fulfillment and accomplishment, which she can find in another way by becoming a famous fashion designer or something. When she's got it made, the Emerald Eye comes back for her... and she begins to think, "Can I tame it or not?"

i really like this idea. minus the emerald eye part. i feel like she's so tied to it and yet she's never been an empress that i want to see her with out it...
Hmmm, good point. There are other sources of power out there, after all...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

In the Postboot, Gates was also shunned on Vyrga for not agreeing with everyone else. I'd say Quislet's story takes it a step further, of course, but it'd be interesting to see Gates and Quislet interacting...

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni
Honorary

i think gates might find him a bit infuriating like everyone else does. and then talk to him about his reasons for leaving a collective mind.

--------------------

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
[Quislet] "Quislet think grumpy-grump Gates too too boring! So much ideaspeak, too little party!"
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I like that, FL. Preboot Shady annoyed me by being emotional to the point of helplessness - I remember the annual where Computo took over Danielle Foccart's body. Shady pretty much just cried and yelled at Element Lad to save Mon-El, without really doing much in return. Would have liked it better if she'd been more constructive, THEN cried when she and Mon were reunited.

Thanks, Ibby.

She was indeed a frustrating character Preboot. She had great moments that made her my favorite Legionnaire, but her great moments barely out-balanced her cringesome moments.

Umbra, what little I've read of her, was much more to my liking, but doesn't seem to have gotten too many spotlights (the DnA/Lightle spotlight on her is one of my favorite comics ev-ah!)

The less said about Threeboot and Retroboot Shady, the better.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
quote:

Thanks, Ibby.

She was indeed a frustrating character Preboot. She had great moments that made her my favorite Legionnaire, but her great moments barely out-balanced her cringesome moments.

Umbra, what little I've read of her, was much more to my liking, but doesn't seem to have gotten too many spotlights (the DnA/Lightle spotlight on her is one of my favorite comics ev-ah!)

The less said about Threeboot and Retroboot Shady, the better.

Shady had a moment against Darkseid.
[Yes]

Umbra was one of the featured Legionnaires in the original LOST arc and she had another Lightle story after the LOST got home.
Before DnA&Coipel, she was also featured a number of times as part of the team, especially against Mordru.

And yeah, let's forget Prime and Retro Shady.
ugh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Loved Umbra in LOST. That was such an awesome arc. I've said it before in another thread, and I'll say it again: it was Korvac Done Right.

And I still have to read the Reboot-era Mordru arc. Thanks for reminding me, Candace.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Umbra also had a spotlight issue in the Legends of the Legion mini, where we got to see her kickass and also got to understand just how opinionated (and stubborn) she could be.

I liked her much better in Lost.

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

quote:
Umbra also had a spotlight issue in the Legends of the Legion mini, where we got to see her kickass and also got to understand just how opinionated (and stubborn) she could be.

I liked her much better in Lost.

agreed. i'd say Umbra was the best portrayal.

--------------------

jesjos
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesjos   Email jesjos         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd choose Star Boy! I would re-imagine Thom as being *BLACK.* I might not do anything to showcase the difference, probably because that singular difference would never need to be *fleshed* out.

I'd also take Saturn Girl, and re-imagine her without speech, as she's a telepath and all. What the heck? I'd even re-interpret her without sight, or hearing or even smell. Her telepathy would be all the perception required. Except, I'd keep her blonde. (I, somehow, imagine that it just makes sense.) But I'd give her an oval board she'd carry with her everywhere, and replace *Saturn* in her code-name with *Surfer.*

From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
I really liked the re-imaging for Triplicate Girl from the three boot. It kind of fits in with her being powered up into Duplicate Damsel. For those who did not read the three boot, Luornu's origin is that she wakes up on Cargg, which is in ruins. She doesn't remember who she is or how she got there. She is the only person there. She then discovers that she is able to duplicate herself multiple times. In this way she repopulates the planet with herself. Three of the duplicates are sent to Earth and end up joining the Legion.

I never really liked that take that much. Of coarse I didn't like most of the Waidboot changes either.

I liked her more in the Reboot era where the different sides of her personality manifested when she split. You had shy, neutral, and bold and they really treated each other as more of sisters that just parts of a whole.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.