Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
my main beef is: why two new characters? why not Mandalla? why not Monica Sade or Veilmist or Westerner or even Catspaw?

sigh...although the story is good. just wish I would love to see Mandalla in action.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
They seem like red shirts from Star Trek T.O.S.

*adios* ...

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
And why Lydda in not in these rescue team?
I hope The dominators kill Comet Queen and the newbies.
I´m very bored ....about the new recruits...
All the fans are be waiting for the real legionnaires.... Saturn Girl, Sensor Girl, Lightning Lad, Blok, Black Witch, Matter Eater Lad, Quislet...
And forgotten ones.....Kono, Veilmist, Andromeda, Kinetix, XS, Gear, Wave, Impulse....

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
So, random observations time;

I like seeing Cosmic Boy out of the chair and *doing stuff.* So, so, so done with seeing him sitting in front of a bunch of viewscreens whining about whatever.

Ah, Ultra Boy, with your ultra-speed. Not the intuitive choice for a tactical evac team, and that's cool.

Brainy confirms again that Dreamy is one of the smartest Legionnaires, which is nice, although I liked it better in the Universo Project.

The pages of Mon-El and the UP delegation were, IMO, wasted in a 20 page comic. Nine pages in, almost halfway through the book, and we're still on stuff that could have been explained in a couple of word-balloons on page 1;

quote:
Top panel, Cos, Jo and Lar standing;
Cosmic Boy, "I tried to sneak into the Dominator embassy, but I couldn't find any useful intel before Ultra Boy had to pull me out."

Ultra Boy, "Yo, I'm totally in this scene because my hair-care product placement contract obligates me to be here, looking fabulous." [flips hair dramatically]

Mon-El, "The UP is no help, they've forbidden us to do *anything* that will threaten the fragile peace with the Dominators..."

Bottom panel, Thom and the others show up;
Star Boy, "You chuckleheads argue politics, I quit and I'm going to get my Dreamy!"

Lu, Chuck and the kids, "We are the chorus, and we agree!"

And now we're ready for page 2!

Anywho, odd art on page 10. Cos looks like he's got a black eye and Mon-El is either whistling dixie or, uh, something else...

But Lu merging looks badass.

These little Dominator minion guys jumping at Brainy and Dreamy are totally cute. I think they'd make great plush toys.

And... ten more pages of talky talk. Yawn.

I'm not sure if the scene with Bouncing Boy saying 'get out of my mind' a couple times is setting him up to be the unintentional traitor (someone is mind-jobbing him? perhaps even Otaki?), or just a fuzzy panel.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
LOL on Ultra Boy! Totally agree about the decompressed storytelling. We get all this glacially slow buildup and then the climax will probably be over in a bang and a whimper.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

Ultra Boy, "Yo, I'm totally in this scene because my hair-care product placement contract obligates me to be here, looking fabulous." [flips hair dramatically]

So true, so true! With Ultra Boy it's been all about the hair lately!! The various artists have done amazing things with that hair. It just shimmers! It's a creative feature that helps Ultra Boy stand out among the rest of the Legion. I think it's perfect for his personality and something for us to make fun of as well!

[ June 22, 2012, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Leather Wolf ]

From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.

I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.

Set

quote:
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
So true, so true! With Ultra Boy it's been all about the hair lately!! The various artists have done amazing things with that hair.

I'd been thinking that it was just a lush mane of hair, but there have been a lot of close ups of it lately (in this very issue, in fact) that depict it as more of braids or locks. That's kind of cool to see.

The Legion has always been a standout in having so many brunettes. Comic folk are so often blondes, redheads or have black hair, that plain old brown hair ends up looking kind of exotic, by comparison!

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
(and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He led an underwater mission in Adv. 371. That's the only one I can think of right now.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matter-eater man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matter-eater man   Author's Homepage   Email matter-eater man         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the issue but it bugged me that you had 2 nonmembers saying they would be willing to die trying to rescue Brainy & Dreamy. They and the retired members are willing to risk their lives while the active team sits by? Hope there's something being left out because it just seems wrong that the active members would let an underpowered team do this.
From: MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Good points, MEM.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:

I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.

He is vulnerable to 'radiation'. It is rarely touched on ... probably because radiation is everywhere.

IIRC.

I like Jo though. I think Morrison's take on Smasher ... the copy of Ultra Boy was interesting ... he would 'download' powers for various missions. Making him a bit more like a Dupe Boy, or an Erg 1. But its not unreasonable to think Jo would be able to learn to use his energy in new ways for new power sets. Truly making him more versatile than a Kryptonian. (even If still less powerful. )

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Re: Jo's hair

I didn't like it myself ... thought it looked like cords or strings or something. dread locks ...

I do love how many brunettes there are in the LSH, in my fantasy world ... I imagine because most people in the future are ethnically mixed ... and people mate across cultural and ethnic lines with reckless abandon. [Wink]

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder when editorial will realize that if they didn't decompress the storytelling, we fans would probably be asking a lot less questions about their reasoning? After all, we'd be too interested in the issue to question our suspension of disbelief.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.