Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10 (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I wonder when editorial will realize that if they didn't decompress the storytelling, we fans would probably be asking a lot less questions about their reasoning? After all, we'd be too interested in the issue to question our suspension of disbelief.

I agree.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
I hope The dominators kill Comet Queen and the newbies.
I´m very bored ....about the new recruits...

Me too! Bring back the real Academy graduates (the ones people actually wanted to see join) and just about anyone else. Also, the book could use some drama -- the deaths of the new recruits would do that.
Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.

Technically yes. But Jo does seem to be able to lend speed to the ring -- kinda as Wally West used to be able to lend speed to other characers or objects.

I submit that there is more to Jo's powers that he realizes. Actually, I think that could be true of most of the Legion -- whose powers seem to be stuck at Silver Age levels. Doesn't anyone abilities evolve over time?!

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
I submit that there is more to Jo's powers that he realizes. Actually, I think that could be true of most of the Legion -- whose powers seem to be stuck at Silver Age levels. Doesn't anyone abilities evolve over time?!

Indeed!

Heck, Element Lad's powers have significantly *downgraded.*

I've noticed that the word-blurbs are deceptive as well. Lightning Lad/Lass have blurbs stating that they have powers of 'electrical manipulation,' which is nothing at all like what they do, which is 'chuck lightning at people.' They don't manipulate the electricity in people's ray guns or computers, causing them to fritz out, or do anything that seems like 'electrical manipulation.' They just shoot lightning. That's no more 'manipulating electricity' than I am 'manipulating kinetics' by firing a gun or punching someone.

In theory, if Garth or Ayla (or Mekt) can actually manipulate electricity, they could cause a person's body to collapse nervelessly to the ground by messing with the electrochemical signals between nerves. They might even be able to reprogram computers. Instead? ZARK!

Tyroc is the only one that we've seen significant development of his powers lately, because his powers have been re-imagined.

Timber Wolf has gone in the other direction, having apparently forgotten that the power that got him into the Legion was 'super-acrobatics' and not 'claws, regeneration and super-senses.'

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.

I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.

IIRC Jo was shown using super speed for flight back in Adv 380.
I think that using invulnerability alone would also enhance his normal strength by not having to worry about pulled muscles.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Seeing a one-sleeved Brainy cavorting about evoked memories of the Newell "Exile" storyline from the 80's--which never really was resolved with any satisfaction...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Korbal:
Seeing a one-sleeved Brainy cavorting about evoked memories of the Newell "Exile" storyline from the 80's

OMG! That was the first thing I thought of as well! [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed that storyline. Maybe when Dawnstar gets back from being "Lost" we can resolve it some day. Didn't Levitz reference that story in his new run of the Legion in the past couple of years...?
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
One thing I liked adopt the character Dart in the Atari Force series back in the 1980's is that the artists would actually "show" you part of her dreams/visions. I have always wished that was the way Dream Girl's abilities were portrayed in the Legion. It would be interesting to get teasers of things to come through her visions.
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
If Jo can lend his superspeed to the ring's flight, then, how could Pol have beaten him to the magic lock, thereby dying?
Or, wasn't Jo there?
(I'd look it up if I still had the issue.)
[shrug]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

Although Jo MUST be able to lend speed to his flight ring, given how he was always shown speeding off into battle alongside Mon-El, Wildfire and Dawnstar...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
No invulnerability for space travel?
A transuit, I guess.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Good point on that one. That one-power at a time limitation sure is easy to forget about.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally picked up my copy of this issue. The art was either glorious or barely adequate depending on which part of the story. I understand Lu wanting to bring in a tracker and a psi as the group has been using members with those abilities successfully before. Brainy and Nura were the highlight though her saying they will be betrayed lacked the punch I think it was supposed to convey. Jo, Rokk and Mon talking like friends was well done. I still don't understand why the Espionage Squad weren't sent in though. 7 out of 10 this month. Not as good as last month though I'm still on board.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Wasn't he off fetching Cosmic Boy from Earth then?

He already knew about Pol's death when he picked up Cos.

As I recall, the fact that Pol could outrace the super-speedsters was explained by a combination of his headstart plus the fact that flight rings are particularly responsive to the will of their owner. Apparently he just really *wanted* to get their first.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.