Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Preview LEGION #11 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview LEGION #11
jdpinball
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdpinball   Email jdpinball         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that the new telepath recruit had her powers used against her and took control of Comet Queen. I can't believe Paul spent all this time building her character up to then have her just be a traitor or pull an Mentella...

And Portela did a FANTASTIC job as usual; I'm going to miss him when Kollins comes on board.

From: EARTH | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
If Lu prime/original is knocked out, are all her bodies knocked out? Not sure why all her duplicates seem to be constantly defeated at the same time.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
jdpinball, I'm operating under that assumption as well. Cargg, I think expediency in artistic storytelling is the culprit there.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
What happens to Lu's copies seems to differ with the boot, I guess.
I'd hate it if hitting one means hitting all, though.
That would pretty much defeat the purpose, especially the trijitsu.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
It didn't occur to me that Comet Queen was under mind control, but now that I think about it it's obvious.

All in all it's the best issue we've had in a long while, except that I thought Brainy was a little bit out of character. And what's this retcon about the force field belt? There were points in the past where it was very obvious he invented it, including where he tried to give Supergirl an extra one.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee: And what's this retcon about the force field belt? There were points in the past where it was very obvious he invented it, including where he tried to give Supergirl an extra one.
It was brought up in the recent Secret Origins run. Brainy refers to his belt as a family secret, and not duplicate-able, as the power source is unique. (Mentioned in issue 2 and again in issue 4, as both Phantom Girl and Circadia Senius suggest making more of them. It may also get mentioned a few more times. Paul really seemed to be hammering that point home...)

Paul later has Brainy mention it in the main Legion title, as Questor blasts him with a weapon that 'should punch through any shield' and Brainy notes that his shield is 'lost technology' and a 'family secret.' (Issue 12.)

It does answer the question of why Brainy doesn't make one for everyone, I suppose, but I would prefer if it was something more Brainy-specific, like that the quantum energy field is wicked unstable and requires constant micro-adjustments to shield him from specific things from microsecond to microsecond, and that anybody with less than a 12th level intellect couldn't keep up with the changing variables and would end up getting fried or something.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee: And what's this retcon about the force field belt? There were points in the past where it was very obvious he invented it, including where he tried to give Supergirl an extra one.
It was brought up in the recent Secret Origins run. Brainy refers to his belt as a family secret, and not duplicate-able, as the power source is unique. (Mentioned in issue 2 and again in issue 4, as both Phantom Girl and Circadia Senius suggest making more of them. It may also get mentioned a few more times. Paul really seemed to be hammering that point home...)

Paul later has Brainy mention it in the main Legion title, as Questor blasts him with a weapon that 'should punch through any shield' and Brainy notes that his shield is 'lost technology' and a 'family secret.' (Issue 12.)

It does answer the question of why Brainy doesn't make one for everyone, I suppose, but I would prefer if it was something more Brainy-specific, like that the quantum energy field is wicked unstable and requires constant micro-adjustments to shield him from specific things from microsecond to microsecond, and that anybody with less than a 12th level intellect couldn't keep up with the changing variables and would end up getting fried or something.

In the last dotREBELS, IIRC, Bedard had Lyrl Dox make the shield belt, or possibly Dox, but I think it was Lyrl.

Lyrl is revealed to be a 12th level, but we find out towards the end of the series that Dox is only, and bitterly, a 10th level.

He was forced genetically by his father, the original Brainiac, to be less intellegent than his father, therefore less of a threat to him.

We have a Brainy issue coming up, Issue Zero, I think, so maybe Levitz will clarify how that who thing rests in the DCnU.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I would prefer if it was something more Brainy-specific, like that the quantum energy field is wicked unstable and requires constant micro-adjustments to shield him from specific things from microsecond to microsecond, and that anybody with less than a 12th level intellect couldn't keep up with the changing variables and would end up getting fried or something.

I always assumed it was something like that--like a Green Lantern ring with very high requirements.

Paul once mentioned that Dream Girl could (rather crudely) use the belt because she was one fo the Legion's best scientific minds. Can anyone dredge up that letter column?

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdpinball
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdpinball   Email jdpinball         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, I remember a scene where Dreamy grabs the belt from someone; annoyed that they didn't know how to use the belt after so many years of watching Brainy use it? Although that could no longer be in continuity [Smile]

This was a good issue although the code names of the new recruits are just stupid...

From: EARTH | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdpinball
Applicant

And does anyone else think its time for DD to come back on the team full time? Paul's done a great job of re-establishing her.
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jdpinball: And does anyone else think its time for DD to come back on the team full time?
Me! Although I'd rather that Chuck remains in charge of the Academy.

Shady, Tinya, Ayla and Lu are my favorite Legion ladies!

ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Bring back Lu to full-time membership!!!
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, bring back Lu..
Kill the telepath and bring back Imra too.
And don´t forget Jeckie.
I hope the new writers make good things about the beloved characters and put all the new losers in the Limbo.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Re the forcefield belt, I'd also prefer if it were irreplaceable because of the uniqueness of a component, but NOT because Brainy isn't smart enough to recreate it.

Quite a good issue, with enough action and everyone on the team doing something. Even Cos and Mon were written well (and loved Cos' reaction and body language after Mon told him off!)

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

The notion that the force field belt is 'unique' because it's actually built out of part of the original Brainiac, and could someday turn out to be the key to his return as a 31st century villain springs to mind, but Paul has already dipped into the '20th century villain as a 30th century threat' well with Darkseid (and others did so with Ras al-Ghul, less successfully, IMO), so hopefully that's just a whacky notion of mine, and not his...
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.