Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Preview LEGION #11 (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview LEGION #11
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Brainiac would probably be one 21st century villain who would legitimately work really well in the 31st century; not just because of the obvious link to our Brainy (and Superboy and Supergirl), but also because with his history of grabbing cities from other worlds it wouldn't be at all difficult to insert him into some of the other Legionnaire homeworld's histories....

I think we need to give the 21st century tie-ins a rest for a little while though....I actually quite liked Ra's (though the terrorforms kinda fell flat for the most part IMO), but DnA's turn at Darkseid was pretty underwhelming, we've just had a lousy Superboy-Prime story and with the Legion Lost crew already in the 21st century I think that's quite enough interaction with the DCU of a thousand years prior...

re: Brainy's forcefield belt, I too would prefer that it's irreplaceable because of components within it, or that it can't be duplicated because you'd need to be as smart as Brainy to work it (I did like that story where Dreamy gets frustrated with Ayla not knowing how to use it and takes it off her).

It's kind of weird that Levitz has made Brainy solely responsible for the flight rings and Mon-El's lead serum (which detracts from other Legionnaires being smart), but the one thing that really is his greatest invention (that didn't try to kill everyone) is no longer actually his achievement...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
[QB] Brainiac would probably be one 21st century villain who would legitimately work really well in the 31st century;

Oh, that's true. And, really, probably even more true for Brainiac, than for Darkseid (who is not tied into the Legion, and tends to bring his own mythological baggage into the story, with Apokalips / New Genesis, etc.).

quote:
I think we need to give the 21st century tie-ins a rest for a little while though...
Word. Sentence and Paragraph, even.

quote:
It's kind of weird that Levitz has made Brainy solely responsible for the flight rings and Mon-El's lead serum (which detracts from other Legionnaires being smart), but the one thing that really is his greatest invention (that didn't try to kill everyone) is no longer actually his achievement...
I had the same thought. The one thing (apart from Computo...) that Brainy can legitimately claim, his force field belt, without poaching or diminishing other Legionnaire's past brilliant achievements, and it's been taken from him and made into something he apparently doesn't even understand.

Given that I know bupkiss about L.E.G.I.O.N., I'm particularly not thrilled that some character from a book that made Phantom Girl into a Carggite and retrofitted R.J. Brande into a thousand year old character and may have more recently established Validus as part of an entire race of critters, and has been just as quickly removed from continuity in the New DCU, may now be the inventor of the force field belt.

It was this sort of thing that led to Laurel Kent being put on the bus, being tied to a past continuity that was in flux. Brainy's belt being retconned to be the invention of a character that may no longer exist gives me that queasy 'here we go again' feeling.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
We've already kind of had Brainiac in the 21st century with Pulsar Stargrave, at least in one version of the character's background.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
That was Dox, IIRC, too, as well as his father.
And the Mallor Darkstar.
They've also had the Emerald Eye.
[shrug]

And I'm sure that Lyrl and Dox still exist, DC just hasn't presented them yet.
They're great characters, with fascinating stories and connections to the eras of the DCU.
In my opinion, anyway.

Do you remember when Brainy gave his belt to Lu?
He wanted her to keep it so that her last self, or so he thought at the time, would be safer.
So, it can't be that hard to work.

She returned it, but not because she couldn't get it to work.
She just didn't like being in the middle of the possibilities it created, IIRC.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
After rereading this a couple of times, it seems pretty obvious that Comet Queen is being controlled mentally.

First, on page 7, panels 1 and 2, the Dominator seems to be messing with Brainy somehow. When I first read this issue, I thought it was a misprint when Brainy says '....an un-natural effect" because it seems to be a continuation of the Dominator's sentence.

Second, on the following page, panels 3-5, Otaki seems to be affected by probing this same dominators mind, with Mwindaji warning her not to get lost in its mind.

Third, later when Otaki confronts this same dominator, she collapses and he states "Out wills are stronger than your..."

Then, on the following page, the Dominator and Brainiac struggle, and it seems to be as much a mental battle as a physical one with Brainy prevailing until Comet Queen takes Brainy out. Notice CQ says this is a present from someone "who really, really didn't like you." It seems she may not be referring to herself. As Nura slaps her, CQ says only "told me."

Based on all this, I would say this Dominator has some kind of mental powers, and someone who is still suffering from a mindwipe could be easily manipulated. In spite of all her flightiness, CQ is the ultimate fangirl and very heroic. It is completely out of character for her to betray any Legionnaire.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
After rereading this a couple of times, it seems pretty obvious that Comet Queen is being controlled mentally.

First, on page 7, panels 1 and 2, the Dominator seems to be messing with Brainy somehow. When I first read this issue, I thought it was a misprint when Brainy says '....an un-natural effect" because it seems to be a continuation of the Dominator's sentence.

Second, on the following page, panels 3-5, Otaki seems to be affected by probing this same dominators mind, with Mwindaji warning her not to get lost in its mind.

Third, later when Otaki confronts this same dominator, she collapses and he states "Out wills are stronger than your..."

Then, on the following page, the Dominator and Brainiac struggle, and it seems to be as much a mental battle as a physical one with Brainy prevailing until Comet Queen takes Brainy out. Notice CQ says this is a present from someone "who really, really didn't like you." It seems she may not be referring to herself. As Nura slaps her, CQ says only "told me."

Based on all this, I would say this Dominator has some kind of mental powers, and someone who is still suffering from a mindwipe could be easily manipulated. In spite of all her flightiness, CQ is the ultimate fangirl and very heroic. It is completely out of character for her to betray any Legionnaire.

Very nice analysis.

There are others there with mind powers, besides the Dominators, which maybe really opens up the betrayal?

I liked this issue.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.