Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A question for Legion Worlders (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A question for Legion Worlders
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
My speculation theory about this is that at some point the Legionnaires are going to mention a Legion comic in a story and they wanted to refer to something in LSH #9 without saying LSH #9.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi Guys
the excellent Mr.Wacker and I were hoping you could help us answer something....

If LSH had continued in Adventure Comics with no breaks from the end of the 'Tales of the Legion' numbering - what issue # would we be at now (October cover date)?

All help gratefully received! [Smile]

A question for Barry and Mr Wacker,

Is there some sort of renumbering conspiracy in the works?

More likely they will refer to it in the comic since the Legionnaires are such comic fanatics!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been off board for a few days, so I didn't see the answer to my challenge until now.

622, it is!

Excellent work, Gary, in figuring out the answer as well as all possible permutations. I bow before your scholarship!

I'm all for including the four-issue reprint series for two reasons. One, that's the series with which I discovered the Legion, and two, X-MEN also reverted to reprints back then while keeping its original numbering intact.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
Does this numbering calculations include:
Legionnaires 3?
Legion: The Science Police?
Secrets Of The LSH?
Legion of Substitute Heroes Special? (I just threw that in for fun)
any of the LSH Secret Files?
the supporting stories from the Superboy series before it became Superboy Featuring the LSH/Superboy & the LSH?

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well all we were looking for was the numbering had it continued from the last original Tales Of The Legion issue back in 1985...but all this other stuff is fun isn't it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
354--Tales Of The LSH (formerly LSH s2/formerly SLSH/formerly Superboy)
63--Baxter Series
81+"0"+"1000000"--SW6/Reboot Legionnaires
125+"0"+"1000000"--5YG/Reboot LSH
38--DnA Legion
12--Legion Lost
6--Legion Worlds

I could be off but I reckon the count would be around #683.

Now if you added the 10 issues and the one coming out this coming Wednesday, then the count would be #694.

And just for kicks, adding the suggested titles from above in my previous post not included...
Secrets Of The LSH--4
Legionnaires 3--4
Legion: The Science Police--4

brings my issue count to #706.

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan

oh...just remembered the reprint mini-series that everyone considers to be LSH series 1...another 4 =>#710

--------------------
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by numberonelegionfan:
354--Tales Of The LSH (formerly LSH s2/formerly SLSH/formerly Superboy)

Since the Legion didn't become co-stars of SUPERBOY until # 197, that 354 number is misleading. 354-197=157 for the actual count of Legion issues in that series. And if we add the ten backup stories from # 172 to 195, that brings the total to 167.

[ October 22, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

By the way, I conducted an experiment of my own. While Gary's tally adds up every Legion series that has been produced, I decided to see what would happen if LSH had been published continuously in one monthly series since April 1958. According to my calculations, we'd be at issue # 571 for October 2005 (12 issues per year times 47 years plus seven months).

What I find interesting is where some Legion milestones would have fallen in that mega-series, if they had still been published at around the same time. For example, the second Legion story (ADV. # 267) would not appear until LSH # 20 (Dec. 1959). I leave it to others to speculate what the intervening 18 issues might have been like.

Some other highlights from the first two decades by issue number:

29 - Supergirl's first tryout (Aug. 1960)

38 - Supergirl joins, as does Brainiac 5 (May 61)

39 - Mon-El first appears (June 61)

52 - Ultra Boy first appears (July 62)

58 - Lightning Lad dies (Jan. 63)

66 - Lightning Lad revived (Sep. 63)

71 - Dream Girl first appears (Feb. 64)

94 - Triplicate Girl killed by Computo (Jan. 66)

99 - Karate Kid, Princess Projectra and Ferro Lad join (July 66)
[This ties in neatly with the 100th issue, which would have contained the second part of that story.]

107 - Ferro Lad dies (Feb. 67)

123 - Mordru first appears (June 68)

Also noteworthy: Issue numbers in the '70s correspond very closely to the issue numbers of the Legion's run in SUPERBOY -- and they get closer as time goes on:

183 - ERG-1 (Wildfire) first appears (Jun. 73 - SUP 195)

191 - Wedding of Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel (Feb. 74 - SUP 200)

197 - Invisible Kid dies (Aug. 74 - SUP 203)

229 - Dawnstar first appears (Apr. 77 - SUP 226)

231 - Chemical King dies (June 77 - SUP 228)

[ October 22, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's something I'm kinda curious about...what if all the LSH stories were published in a continuous run except whenever there was a timeline change, at which point a new series was begun from #1? So, restarting from the Crisis, from the Mordruverse, from the Glorithverse, from Zero Hour, and from the WaK kickoff? (I'm ignoring the minor timeline reboot in the Universe Ablaze crossover.) How many issues would each timeline's Legion have run?
From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
My head hurts now.

yeah me too I just recently took two Advils. yooowww! ouch!! *sob*
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the bump!

That would have been a wonderful series, HWW.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
"Math is hard!"
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I bet this all has something to do with #15!!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I bet this all has something to do with #626!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.