Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legionnaires At Their Best (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legionnaires At Their Best
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

SUN BOY's best would have to be in ADVENTURE, too, but it'll take a little thought to decide which issue I'd pick.

I was tempted to suggest "Mutiny of the Legionnaires" for Sun Boy as a definitive story, though it might not be one that paints him in the best light. Still, it's really about his determination and heroism pushing him too far that leads him to suffer the "space-fatigue" that is the story's centerpiece.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
For Cosmic Boy, LSH #297. The spotlight on Rokk. Just about the best story you could pick for him. I know, its another spotlight, but it is a real good focus on his past and actually grows the character over the course of the issue.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"Mettle"-- the perfect title for a spotlight of a character with magnietic abilities was the title of the issue LL chose.

That's a definite.

Another choice would be the issue that closed out the reboot team's first mission. Cos had a speech that he gave as the leader chosen by his teammates bolstering the ego of the leader appointed by the UP (Leviathan). I think Cosmic Boy's rep as the ultimate leader of the team was somewhat grafted into history without a whole lot of precedent. It was nice to see it happen before the reader's eyes, here.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm having a hard time with one for Garth. As much as I don't care for his time as "Live Wire" off-hand (in other words without a lot of re-reading) I'd have to say that Legion Lost #12 is a good one. But that opinion is subject to change if I get a chance to re-read some older Adventure and Levitz era stories.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
"Mettle"-- the perfect title for a spotlight of a character with magnietic abilities was the title of the issue LL chose.

That's a definite.

Another choice would be the issue that closed out the reboot team's first mission. Cos had a speech that he gave as the leader chosen by his teammates bolstering the ego of the leader appointed by the UP (Leviathan). I think Cosmic Boy's rep as the ultimate leader of the team was somewhat grafted into history without a whole lot of precedent. It was nice to see it happen before the reader's eyes, here.

Do you mean this one ML, from LSH v4 #62?

Click for fullsize image

Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Matthew E, don't forget that many of us can provide scans of pages for you. One of the several great things about LW.
quote:
Exactly. I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of the Condo story where you can read it now.
Thanks. I may take you up on that. I should say I'm not in any big rush to get this done--if I do one Legionnaire a month, I'll consider that to be pretty fast. Legion Abstract isn't one of those blogs where I feel the need to post every day; I'll do an issue review every time a Legion comic comes out, I'll keep the roster page up to date, and I'll try to do at least one other kind of column or essay a month. Anything else is gravy. Although I do find myself posting a bit more frequently these days... actually, yes, please point me at the Chemical King story. By e-mail is fine, if you don't want to post it here.
quote:
For Cosmic Boy, LSH #297. The spotlight on Rokk. Just about the best story you could pick for him. I know, its another spotlight, but it is a real good focus on his past and actually grows the character over the course of the issue.
quote:

That's a definite.

One of the things I knew when I started into this is that I wouldn't be using that story for Cosmic Boy. Parts of it aren't bad--I liked the art, and I like how he flies magnetically--but I can't stand the story itself. "If you kill them, you're proving yourself as bad as they are! It's not worth it!" If I never see or read that scene again, it'll be too soon. It's a freaking chestnut. Anyway, I have some other ideas for Cosmic Boy (and the other one you mention, at the end of the first reboot mission, isn't a bad suggestion at all).

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
On the nose, LL.

His banquet with Mordru is another highlight.

I didn't come up with a great one for Garth, either. A small moment I like a lot is when he eavesdrops on Wildfire telling his story to Lamprey, Nightwind and Crystal Kid during the easy-to-forget period between Earthwar and The Great Darkness.

Hmmm. Maybe after a few weeks when this thread runs its course, maybe we should start a Legionnaire at their Nadir thread. Cos's would have to be when he became the Time Trapper. Or when he alienated TTT in the reboot. Or when he slapped Ayla.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite Saturn Girl moment is her single-handed defeat of Universo in the Universo Project. Her 'dialogue' with Darkseid was pretty good, too.

For Xs, I suggest Legion of the Damned. She was also very good in the Legion Worlds issue on Xanthu

And for Sensor Girl/Projectra, I love her final encounter with the Emerald Empress. I really hated her execution of Nemesis Kid (could never understand how she managed that).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Doctor One and I think a lot alike.

quote:
maybe we should start a Legionnaire at their Nadir thread
I like this idea. Already I have some ideas. ("5?" Who calls himself "5"? What are you, a Charlie Brown character? And go get your hair cut, for God's sake; you look like a roadie.)

[ July 13, 2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Matthew E ]

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
A good Princess Projectra story (I don't know the issue number. I read it in a little paperback that consisted of black & white reprints I am pretty sure it is post Adventure)

The story consists of Projectra & Saturn Girl on a mission. They get zapped by a bad guy. When they wake up and get back to headquarters, no one knows them and there are male counterparts for them, Saturn Lad & Prince Projectur. Also their powers seem to not be working. They are put into a holding cell. Projectra works out an escape. She separates from Saturn Girl and confronts Karate Kid (leader at the time) He denies knowing her. She figures out that she can use her power now that Saturn Girl isn't around and tricks Karate Kid into calling out her name.

What happened was Projectra was being tested because the computer determined that she was the most likely one to crack under pressure. Saturn Lad, Prince Projectur, & the bad guy were all other legionnaires disguised. Saturn Girl just made Projectra think her power didn't work.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott's recommendation for Condo's entry is excellent. Another option is Adventure #378 in which a team of Legionnaires go to help the Seerons in exchenge for Egghead's help in reviving the 5 legionnaires they had found near death at LEgion HQ. In that story, Condo is shown using his powers to speed up his metabolism for short periods of time, thereby making himself super strong, etc.

Sadly, Condo will defintely be one of the toughest for which to offer multiple options.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
If you are planning on including Honorary Legionnaires and Reservists and Subs, then I would offer the Mordru 2 parter (Adv 369-370) up as the perfect entry for Pete Ross and Lana Lang. Both play key roles in defeating Mordru and demontrate their courage and loyalty to Superboy and to the Legion.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

For reboot Insect Queen (somewhat different ID and definitely different planet of origin than preboot IQ's), I'd nominate LEGION WORLDS #4... the Xanthu issue. Same one that Doctor One picked (also loved his Saturn Girl pick).

About the Legionnaires at the Their Nadir-- Legion On the Run (where 5 comes from) is gonna account for a *lot* of those!

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
[QB] For Element Lad, might I suggest "The Ultimate Revenge (Superboy #211) [QB]

This could also be a good pick for Chemical King, since he's the one who kept Jan from serving a sentence on Takron-Galtos. (I always thought the fact that Jan pulled that trigger should come back to haunt him...)
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
[QB] For Element Lad, might I suggest "The Ultimate Revenge (Superboy #211) [QB]

This could also be a good pick for Chemical King, since he's the one who kept Jan from serving a sentence on Takron-Galtos. (I always thought the fact that Jan pulled that trigger should come back to haunt him...)
I hesitated to include that one at first, but it was a turning-point story for him.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.