Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legionnaires At Their Best (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legionnaires At Their Best
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
For Chameleon Boy:

Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes #249, a story called "Murder Most Foul". Ultra Boy is framed for murder. Reep reveals himself to be sly, intelligent,thoughtful investigator and a loyal friend while coming to grips with one of the greatest threats the Legion ever faced - Brainiac 5 covertly loosing his sanity.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Another thought for Saturn Girl:

"The Legionnaire Who Killed" from the Adventure days. Star Boy kills a man in self defense. The team votes on whether or not to expell him. The girls all show sympathy and vote in favor of letting Thom stay. Saturn Girl remains true to the principles the Legion was founded on, and votes for expulsion. I think this was truly the start of her "ice queen" or "iron butt" persona. We certainly knew after that she wasn't the typical "girl Legionnaire".

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
For Chameleon Boy:

Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes #249 [...]

I agree. Wonderful Cham spotlight. However, it was in # 239, not 249.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Thanks for the correction. Memory isn't what it used to be...

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't see any for Brainiac 5 so here are my picks:

The final showdown with the Time Trapper when Brainy lets loose the Infinite Man to put the smackdown on TT ... that story had a good moment for Rond Vidar too ...

Another choice is the annual where Querl is trying to help cure Douglas Nolan of his insanity ... it's always nice to see moments of compassion like that.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koymc Dox
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Koymc Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Koymc Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
I didn't see any for Brainiac 5 so here are my picks:

The final showdown with the Time Trapper when Brainy lets loose the Infinite Man to put the smackdown on TT ... that story had a good moment for Rond Vidar too ...

LSH v3#50. That was a good one, indeed.

quote:
Another choice is the annual where Querl is trying to help cure Douglas Nolan of his insanity ... it's always nice to see moments of compassion like that.

I think that was LSH v2#300.

A couple that came to my mind...

LSH v4#0 for Rokk, Garth, and Imra. The quintessential telling of the Legion origin.

And I definitely add my vote for the "Tenzil Kem Trilogy": LSH v4 #11, 14, and 49

--------------------
"I will drill a hole through my head. You cannot stop me."

Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
For Kid Quantum II, Legion 6 has two great scenes: one where she takes out Brainstorm (complete with snappy patter!) and one where she stands up to Cosmic Boy and convinces him to head for Metropolis to help the civilians.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to be preparing another 'The Legionnaires' entry for Legion Abstract in the next week or so and I wanted to give you all a chance to chime in with predictions.

This is going to be a special entry because I'm going to be doing four Legionnaires at once. These are the four Legionnaires who, in my opinion, had signature appearances in 'For No Better Reason', the four part Gail Simone storyline that ended the 'The Legion' series a couple of years ago. (That's the storyline where four villains named Devil, Canary, Lantern and Arrow turn off all the technology in the Metropolis area for some reason I never quite caught.)

So your challenge is to guess which four Legionnaires I have in mind. I will say that one is obvious, two are not exactly obvious, and one is probably far from obvious.

If anybody manages to guess all four before the post goes up (and I don't know when that will be) I'll mention you in the article and you will experience a great deal of satisfaction. (I won't reveal the answer here; I'll just put the article up and let everyone see.)

Most importantly I want to let you all know that I'm keeping track of all the suggestions in this thread and I appreciate everyone's ideas.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I didn't do the thing from the Simone story like I said I would. Instead I did Invisible Kid. Well, I had to.

But this is another one that I'm extremely proud of, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people here think of it.

How did Cosmic Boy's hair colour affect the battle of Helegyn? Find out here...

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Very interesting & insightful - as usual, Matthew.

I'd have to review the issues, but I wonder if Lyle's provoke-react-slap down approach to life is really focussed on men in authority/powerful males - father, Cos, Elysion, Karate Kid. He acted differently with Atom Girl. Triplicate Girl was provoking him (when he was developing the three planets idea to defeat Lemnos) but he didn't react to the bait.

Would Jo be "immune" to Lyle's behaviour? He is very powerful, but (apparently) nowhere near as bright as Lyle. Still, he doesn't seem to do this with Brainy - maybe it's a physical power thing he's reacting to, not mental dominance. Which makes his adoration of Supergirl a little more complicated.... It should be interesting to see how he reacts with Mon-el.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Great analysis Matthew! I think there is more to the fact that Lyle is by far the youngest of the Legionnaires in play here. He is a freshman in a "school" full of juniors & seniors. The other guys treat him as a snot nosed kid (for the most part) and it rankles so he takes every opportunity to challenge or lash out at them the best he can. He also harbors resentment at authority figures because of his father so he would have issues with the older guys as well because of this.

Lets not forget that these are no ordinary guys. For the most part, they are all alpha males and Lyle is trying to establish his place in this pack.

Brainy is the exception I believe because it was Querl who saved him from his abusive home life, giving him a flight ring to make his escape. He is also the only person around from which Lyle can "learn" or so he believes.

As to the girls...what pre-teen or teenaged boy isn't entralled with beautiful girls (assuming this Lyle isn't gay [Wink] )? They can do no wrong and their attention (any sort of attention) is all he wants. They can tease him unmercifully (worse than any of the guys) and he will blush but love the attention (and fantasize about what that attention means [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Good points all around.

I can't decide if Lyle only behaves that way around powerful males or not; we haven't seen him interact with enough other characters. In the case of Vi, in his mind he had already provoked her with his accusation of spying, so that may be evidence for either side.

Is Lyle the youngest? He acts like it, and he's certainly the most junior in experience (not counting Dream Boy), but chronologically I don't think it's at all safe to say (considering different species, different societies, different planetary lengths of years...).

quote:
As to the girls...what pre-teen or teenaged boy isn't entralled with beautiful girls (assuming this Lyle isn't gay [Wink] )?
Or even if he is. Just a different kind of enthrallment. But, no, if he was gay I don't think he'd be considering Cosmic Boy competition for Kara.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoy reading your analyses of the Legionnaires, ME. Your thoughts are interesting and offer new insight into long-cherished characters.

The pattern leading to a slap-down behavior ascribed to Lyle gives me a bit of inroads into a character I've had trouble warming up to, this boot. For that, I thank you.

I find the wanting to disappear/power of invisibility link somewhat off-putting-- but I think it is a pretty apt description of the Lyle we've been seeing (hee!).

Nothing at *all* like reboot Lyle-- who may have wanted to disappear, but only to be sneakier and get the goods on any and everyone. How to relate power to personality traits for the previous Lyle? Secretive smartie gives himself the one power that would be most effective against someone who possessed the one non-super power of observation that so characterized the Lyle-Norg-that-was. Lyle was the emobodiment of the term 'eagle eye'.

And he wasn't shy about using the info he observed, either-- though that doesn't readily translate into a super-power analogy. Though he did give himself his super-power...

Sigh-- I miss that Lyle quite a bit. It's hard for me to accept that he's such a newbie and an outsider in this LSH. Cognitive dissonance!

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't remember any of the issue numbers...

For Ultra Boy, he returns to Rimbor, and is accused of a crime (a woman is incinerated by a blaster, and it's made to look like he's killed her with his flash vision).

For Timber Wolf, the visit to Lythyl to honor Karate Kid's last request. (mentioned also upthread, #13 of the Baxter reboot?)

For Karate Kid, the fight with the LSV, from breaking out of the 'power-suppressing' restraints to his sacrifice at the end.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I don't remember any of the issue numbers...

For Ultra Boy, he returns to Rimbor, and is accused of a crime (a woman is incinerated by a blaster, and it's made to look like he's killed her with his flash vision).

"Murder Most Foul," SLSH #239. I really liked this one.

quote:
For Timber Wolf, the visit to Lythyl to honor Karate Kid's last request. (mentioned also upthread, #13 of the Baxter reboot?)

Correct.

quote:
For Karate Kid, the fight with the LSV, from breaking out of the 'power-suppressing' restraints to his sacrifice at the end.
The sacrifice was in LSH v3 #4. I think his escape from the restraints was in that issue, but it might have been in the previous issue.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.