Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Legionnaires At Their Best (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Legionnaires At Their Best
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I'm having a hard time with one for Garth.

Truly? I guess I see him differently than you. I loved Adventure #304 since I was a kid, my favorites scenes being when he stood up against "tyrant" Saturn Girl and her infamous medallion-making machine, and then flew after her (consequences be damned) when all the other Legionnaires were still trembling in their boots. Not to mention "Better me than you."

Punching Evillo in the jaw with his one remaining arm in Adventure #351.

Rescuing his friend Sun Boy from Regulus (Shady helped) in Superboy #191.

Out-flying the "Chinese" Lunarite ship in the Tabloid, making it smash into the Moon.

Ramming the Legion cruiser into the Starburst Bandit ship in Superboy/LSH #252.

Dragging himself out a coma to save Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy from the dark servant in LSH v.2 #291.

Defeating Mekt without the use of his super-powers in LSH v.4 #45.

As Live Wire, leading the Rescue Squad against the Fatal Five in Legionnaires #36, saving Magno's life in Legionnaires #50 (need to check that ref), saving Ayla's life in LSH #101 and saving everybody's life in Legion Lost #12, needless to say. Refusing to surrender to the Blighted Legionnaires in LSH v.4 #122.

Is the Waid version off-limits? If not, frying Elysion's gonads in #5 was one of the high points of the series thus far, but personally I liked the fairy tales around the "campfire" scene best.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
[QB] For Element Lad, might I suggest "The Ultimate Revenge (Superboy #211) [QB]

This could also be a good pick for Chemical King, since he's the one who kept Jan from serving a sentence on Takron-Galtos. (I always thought the fact that Jan pulled that trigger should come back to haunt him...)
Good point, forgot about that one.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I would like to suggest Adventure #316 "the renegade super-hero" for Ultra Boy.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite Ultra Boy moment is actually in the Five-Year-Later period, the annual that reveals his scheming to defeat Glorith (or is it the Time Trapper? I forget...)
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I'm having a hard time with one for Garth.

Truly? I guess I see him differently than you. I loved Adventure #304 since I was a kid, my favorites scenes being when he stood up against "tyrant" Saturn Girl and her infamous medallion-making machine, and then flew after her (consequences be damned) when all the other Legionnaires were still trembling in their boots. Not to mention "Better me than you."

Punching Evillo in the jaw with his one remaining arm in Adventure #351.

Rescuing his friend Sun Boy from Regulus (Shady helped) in Superboy #191.

Out-flying the "Chinese" Lunarite ship in the Tabloid, making it smash into the Moon.

Ramming the Legion cruiser into the Starburst Bandit ship in Superboy/LSH #252.

Dragging himself out a coma to save Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy from the dark servant in LSH v.2 #291.

Defeating Mekt without the use of his super-powers in LSH v.4 #45.

As Live Wire, leading the Rescue Squad against the Fatal Five in Legionnaires #36, saving Magno's life in Legionnaires #50 (need to check that ref), saving Ayla's life in LSH #101 and saving everybody's life in Legion Lost #12, needless to say. Refusing to surrender to the Blighted Legionnaires in LSH v.4 #122.

Is the Waid version off-limits? If not, frying Elysion's gonads in #5 was one of the high points of the series thus far, but personally I liked the fairy tales around the "campfire" scene best.

You just illustrated my point. I was having trouble narrowing it down to one, not coming up with one.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor One:
My favorite Ultra Boy moment is actually in the Five-Year-Later period, the annual that reveals his scheming to defeat Glorith (or is it the Time Trapper? I forget...)

The more you post, the more it seems like you and I like the same things about the Legion. It's actually kind of spooky.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
For Gates, {snip} LSH 97 has him come up with the plan to defeat Mantis.

Wasn't that Cham disguised as Gates?
From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
For Phantom Girl, you might include Phase from L.E.G.I.O.N., since IIRC she finally got definitely IDed as Tinya. And Phase had lots of good scenes--beat up Lobo once (or rather, got him to beat himself up), and pulled off the old "phase an object through the opponent's head and let go" trick against a demon.

Karate Kid's own limited series alternated between wonderful nonsense and incredibly tedious nonsense, but where else can you find him actually KOing Superboy, or stopping a quake that's about to split Manhattan Island with a single kick? I did a respect thread for Val at CBR from which you're welcome to pull images.

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:

The more you post, the more it seems like you and I like the same things about the Legion. It's actually kind of spooky.
[Smile]
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll Second (Karate Kid) the first Legionnaire to get his own comic.
Key Issues:Adventure comics #346,#347,SLoSH #209 & LSH (Baxter Series)#4

(Ferro Lad) the first Legionnaire to die in the line of duty.
Key issues: Adventure comics #352,353,& 357.

(Timber Wolf) wolverine prototype but Brin looked cooler.
Key Issues:Adventure comics #327,372,SLoSH #197,228,229,LoSH #338.

(Wildfire) the upstart Legionnaire who was voted in Leader not long after he joined.
Key Issues:SLoSH #195,201.LoSH #283

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
For Cosmic Boy, I always liked the back-up story where, for religious reasons, he couldn't use his powers for the day, then ended up having to be a one-man rescue squad to help his fellow Legionnaires (holding true to his religion). It was Mike Grell art somewhere between LSH #205 to #220 I believe.

A Colossal Boy/Shrinking Violet story in the early LSH #200's where they were alone on a mission and trapped in deep space on their sabotaged cruiser was an important tale for both those characters.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
When I think of Lightning Lad, I always think of ADV. # 332, when he lost his arm in the first place. Though initially bent on killing the creature responsible, he recanted and used his powers to render the creature harmless instead. The shot of him shooting lightning bolts at the Super-Moby Dick, while the green-tinged lightning bolts bounce off the creature and hit Garth's robot arm demonstrated his bravery.

For Mon-El, his first appearance in SUPERBOY #89 is a good bet, as are ADV. 300 and 305. But my own choice for a single image that sums up the character is in SUPERBOY # 197, when he stretches Superboy's cape in mid-air around the temporarily insane Timber Wolf. The scene echoes Mon's role as Superboy's "big brother" as they pull off a maneuver involving super-strength and super-speed that probably no other two Legionnaires could accomplish.

[ July 16, 2006, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

For Xs, I suggest Legion of the Damned. She was also very good in the Legion Worlds issue on Xanthu

Oy, how could I forget that?!

Legion Worlds 4 would also be a gopod hoice for psot-ZH Star Boy. I'm not that familiar with his character pre-ZH though.

I'd also like to offer Legion 4 and 8 for Gates - the issues where he escapes from captivity and where he saves Jaz from Ra's al Ghul, respectively.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
quote:

Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
For Gates, {snip} LSH 97 has him come up with the plan to defeat Mantis.

Wasn't that Cham disguised as Gates?
Nope, you're thinking about Legionnaires 45 vs. Mantis Morlo.

[ July 16, 2006, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
(Timber Wolf) wolverine prototype but Brin looked cooler.
Key Issues:Adventure comics #327,372,SLoSH #197,228,229,LoSH #338.

For Timber Wolf, I think the definitive issue is LSH (v2) 13, the spotlight in which he went to Lythyl to honor Karate Kid's request.

I also love the portrayal of Brin during the Dark Man/Fatal Five issues in LSH (v1) 269-271. There are some great uses of his powers, we see his relationship to Ayla, and some of his lone wolf tendencies at play.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.