Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Legion Magic the Gathering Cards (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Legion Magic the Gathering Cards
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
love the Bouncing Boy card!

Thanks, MELad. It's a lot of fun doing these.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Love the new additions Ken! Can't wait for a full set of Legionnaires to print and play. Maybe some LSV members to balance it out? [Wink] [Smile]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Love the cards!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Love the new additions Ken! Can't wait for a full set of Legionnaires to print and play. Maybe some LSV members to balance it out? [Wink] [Smile]

Thanks Lightning Lad. I've been wanting to do Nemesis Kid and Sun Emperor.

Thanks Ultra Jorge.

--------------------

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin

Newest additions.

Cosmic Boy , Dream Girl
Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Element Lad , Ferro Lad

Dawnstar , and Triplicate Girl

Dawnstar needs the "flight ring" ability added to the card...will get to that ASAP.

edit: updated Triplicate Girl

[ March 20, 2009, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: kenaustin ]

--------------------

kenaustin

A week or so after the last post my PC failed. HD, MB, Processor, power supply, and RAM...all gone. I'm guessing electrical surge. Luckily I had a backup HD not attached at the time, but I hadn't backed up in at least a month...yeah, I know, I back up every time I do something new now. I have been using the wife and kids PC just to post, but I promised I wouldn't use it for my stuff. Anyway, I finally got my PC up and running last month, all the lost info back and will be posting new cards later today.

--------------------

kenaustin

Latest cards.
Unsure of the rulings/wordings/templating. Waiting for feedbaack from a magic site. In all cases I'm leaning toward the second card out of two.

Invisible Kid & Invisible Kid II

Karate Kid & Laurel Kent

Any and all questions & comments will be greatly appreciated.

edit: finished cards left up, testing versions taken down.
edit2: updated Karate Kid

[ March 20, 2009, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: kenaustin ]

--------------------

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just noticed, how come the characters have such low points (1/1)? Won't a lot of them die easily? I haven't played Magic in years but I thought lots of characters would closer to the 3/4 range?
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin

quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
I just noticed, how come the characters have such low points (1/1)? Won't a lot of them die easily? I haven't played Magic in years but I thought lots of characters would closer to the 3/4 range?

In the beginning I wanted to do just that, but...

Anybody reading this, if you a)know nothing about Magic, b)don't remember much about Magic, and/or c)don't really care about Magic, then read this...

The short answer
It all comes down to casting cost. I had to so as to keep the casting cost of the cards down so they could be playable.

If you're still with me and are interested...

The TMI answer
I had wanted to make average human level strength/toughness at about 3/3. But a generic 3/3 creature(no special abilities, flight, or anything...just a plain ground pounder) will cost you (3)(X), where the (3) is generic mana and X is 1 specific colored mana.

Every Legionnaire gets a flight ability. All get an activated ability, but some have it natural, so they will have two. Hey, flight rings for everybody. One instance of flight will add at least (1) to the cost, so make it (4)(X).

Making them multi-colored changes the cost to (2 or 3)(X)(Y), where Y is 1 different specific colored mana. It's harder to cast a (X)(Y) multi-color creature, hence the reduced cost. Add in one ability and the cost goes up, sometimes by (2 or 3) more, and often by an added (X), (Y), or even a (Z). A second ability, even more. A keyword ability, more again. Remember, these have normal strength/toughness.

To make a Blok, Ultra Boy, Mon-El, or Superboy would put the strength/toughness in the 6/6 or more area. The casting cost would start at least at (5 or 6)(X)(Y), before additions. They would never get into play.

It pained me to know that the majority could be wiped out by a single activation of "Pestilence" or some other measly 1 point killing spell, but that was the trade off. This project has given me a great amount of respect for the R&D department at Wizards and every other gaming company.

Whew! M-E Lad, if you're still here, I hope that answered your question. Thanks for looking and asking.

--------------------

kenaustin

Three new cards.

Starhaven & Teachers Assemble on Zerox

Phantom Girl
Click for fullsize image

I'm not sure of the title "Teachers Assemble on Zerox".

Thanks for any and all comments.

--------------------

kenaustin

Four new cards.

Credo & Mordru Raises the Dead

Kid Quantum II & Wildfire

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Heh, sacrifice Ferro Lad to destroy any creature. That's a riot!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin

Ten new cards all representing the Fatal Five. Awaiting ruling/wording/templating revisions if any.

Emerald Empress , Emerald Eye, and Mano
Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Tharok, and Validus

Persuader, and Atomic Axe

edit: updated Mano

[ March 20, 2009, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: kenaustin ]

--------------------

kenaustin

Caress, Flare, and poor Mentalla

--------------------

kenaustin

Seven new cards. Awaiting ruling/wording/templating revisions if any.

Duplicate Boy, Lightning Lad, and Lightning Lass

Mon-El and Nemesis Kid

Polar Boy and Veilmist

edit: updated Nemesis Kid

[ March 20, 2009, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: kenaustin ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.