Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Sock it to the Uncanny Excellents! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Sock it to the Uncanny Excellents!
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Where the Excellents at?!?

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers, faith-keepers! Circumstances may have kept me from LW of late, but keep yer peepers peeled for the inevitable triumphant return!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Woot, new excellence on the way from the excellent MLLASH!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

OK, so during my time away I have of course had storyline ideas flowing, but I've also had a growing concern.

The idea-creators for the EXCELLENTS characters, back in the early 60s. I mean, some of them might not care anymore or even be around anymore, but is it morally wrong for me to use them without notification?

Not like I'm making a penny off of them (and if that opportunity were to come up I would certainly say NO) but could it be mis-interpreted that I was using previously-imagined characters in a way they were never intended to be used?

Right now my only means of acknowledging the idea-creators is making their real names be a quasi-futuristic form of the creator's actual name (an idea stolen from THE LEGION OUTPOST for such characters as Nightwind, Lamprey & Crystal Kid).

Does anyone think the actual creators would be upset at my usage of their ideas? I could see where it might be possible and I don't want anyone to be anything but flattered.
I know fan-fic has been around a long time but that is with established characters, not fan-created charcaters.

Opinions/advice appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't worry about it.

As you say, you're not making a dime from using the characters. And technically, they were submitted to DC, so they belong to DC as much as any of the other characters that ended up being published and drawn in the book.

Your way of acknowledging them by using their names for their character's real names is more than sufficient.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
By using the creator's real names, you are giving them more acknowledgement than we typically give to actual Legion creators when we fanfic their creations. And yeah, it's all property of DC, I'm sure.

I certainly can't speak for any of those people, but I'd be tickled pink if someone used a creation of mine, and even more so if they spun it off in a direction I hadn't considered!

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
The Excellents are back!!! Just in time to battle my burgeoning "back to school" blues!!!

AW YEAH LASH!

--------------------

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thanks Set & Nighty for the input... the EXCELLENTS will continue as my loving homage to the grand ideas of Legion fans past!

Sharky, I hereby dub thee most excellent EXCELLENTS fan!

More to come... find out just what Tina's relationship to the LSH really is.... and what the purpose of the Shadow Excellents is all about... and probably some more deaths and silliness!

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
[ROTFLMAO]

Love the new bits.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Me too. Tina's tragic tryout... poor Lunar Lass, my favourite Excellent. What fiendish treatment she received! *choke* She must triumph in the end!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

It's like an emotional roller-coaster!

I was so mad at Cos, Imra, Brainy and Tinya for being so mean!

Then I was so relieved that they were bad guys and Tina found them out!

Then I was mad again because it was all a trick!

Ooh! I have to lie down...

SharkLad
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Sharky, I hereby dub thee most excellent EXCELLENTS fan!

Wow! I'm like the Flint Brojj (sp?) of the EXCELLENTverse ...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Heh! Don't be surprised if you or a character not unlike you finds his way into the EXCELLENTverse eventually, Sharksy...

--------------------

SharkLad
Wanderer

Now that would be truly EXCELLENT... I don't know if this fanboy could handle it...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

**WHEW!** Your old buddy MLLASH just about wore his windows-painting hand to a nub with that 13-panel postathon! I think it was worth it!

Oh, I just HAD to keep going until I got to the cliffhanger!!!

[ September 27, 2009, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.