Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The HIVE: High Orbit

Power Boy stepped out through the doors of the sick bay that the Starsong had provided. He quietly stood in the hall where the others were waiting to hear news of Goon Boy.

“No.”

He finally spoke into the air. “The problem is physiological. Nothing my telepathy can permanently fix. I can hold his memories with my power but once I stop … they dissipate. He’s resting now. I’ve telepathically sedated him. It’s the best I can do.”

“Same as with my magics.” Tempest whispered from the side of the crowd.

Invisible Brainiac was the first to offer hope “When we get to LegionWorld we can have the doctors look at him, maybe Tamper Lad or one of the others can help him more permanently.”

Lard Lad thought to himself ‘It might be best if the poor guy doesn’t remember what’s happened to him ... for now …’

Ameratsu the gilded android rushed down the stairs into the hall where everyone was digesting the news about Goon Boy. “I’m terribly sorry to interrupt. The new Queen seems to be withdrawing her welcome. Several intimidating insects with the ability of stellar travel are starting to gather around the Starsong.”

“Let’s get the hell out of here then.” Lard Lad commanded as he stormed off towards the upper deck.

The small group of heroes looked at each other and smiled at seeing a bit of Lard Lad’s confidence return, at long last. They began to disperse, Tempest rushing to direct the Starsong, when Cobalt Kid grabbed Power Boy by the arm as he walked past.

“Peebz can we talk for a sec …” Cobalt Kid said shyly.

Power Boy merely glanced down at the arm that Cobalt Kid held. The venom within Power Boy’s eyes made CK flinch, and Power Boy strode off down the hall without a look back.

“damn.” Cobalt Kid said morosely.

Power Boy had been one of his most loyal companions. His disinterest in politics and subterfuge made him indifferent to many of CK’s plots. Power Boy was also a pragmatist. War was never fair, he understood this and while he didn’t like some of Cobalt Kid’s tactics, he saw them for what they were and let them pass. But during the battle when CK was controlled by Wyandotte; he disabled Power Boy’s technology and weapons. Power Boy now knew. He knew. While Cobalt Kid couldn’t be blamed for what he did under Wyandotte’s control, He knew that CK had previously planned for ways to take out Power Boy.

As an immortal, Power Boy didn’t have many morals but one of them was loyalty.

As the others busied themselves preparing to leave orbit, Cobalt Kid stood motionless in the hall outside Goon Boy’s sickbay. He thought about their victory and as he went in to visit Goon Boy he saw him sleeping soundly. Cobalt Kid thought of the victory they had won … and the costs.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Timberwolf and Kalla Hykros stood hand in hand as the proper sun had risen on Earth 4 for the first time in a long while.

Lon squeezed her hand a little as he turned to her. "It worked...I mean, we knew it would, but it's always nice to see things that are this well planned out pay off."

Kalla looked at him and he could tell she was trying not to laugh.

"What?"

"You're so cute when you really have no idea what to say Fuzzy."

He sighed. She was right though. He was used to doing his part in secret and being gone long before the light shone on a victory, or mission accomplished. Yet, here he was in the middle of a victory, one that he had participated in...out in the open for the most part. Without being huge and furry.

-----

A short while later they had made their way back to the Loser Cave.

Looking at the devastation that the place had sustained the last week or so, he grinned a little. "Good thing you guys don't need to hide anymore."

Kalla hit him on the arm, "Lon..."

Gear smiled, "He is right though. We have no need of a hidden headquarters. I already have plans underway to rebuild on this site, but above ground." He turned and looked at the area, "Also keeping the Loser cave as intact as possible to honor those that fell during this fight for liberation."

Lon watched his would be nephew very closely.

Gear looked back at him and nodded.

They walked away from the others and Gear looked at Lon and smiled a lopsided grin. You want the truth...right?"

"That would be a good start."

"Alright. I am your nephew from this reality. The one that we are in now. Except here, you were a little different, at least gender-wise. Personality is totally intact."

Lon grunted and smiled. "That much I know, there's just one problem."

"I'm older than I should be...with everything being even."

Lon just nodded.

"I'd ask how you figured that out, but I know better."

"So..."

I'm from a future that does not exist anymore. The presence of this earth being here...now...tells me that I succeeded, and can never go back to my real 'life' if you will. Everyone I knew, no matter how close these people are to them, are gone now. From this point on, everything has changed. I don't belong here anymore...I already exist here, and I will not get in the way of that me growing up and being happy."

"You think that's possible? Given what's happened to him...you?"

"Yeah. I have things in place to help him get through this time...things I had to create for myself that will let him know a relatively normal life."

"What about you?"

"I return to help you guys out, and then...I don't know," he said as his gaze fell over several of the Losers milling about a ways away.

Lon looked from Gear to the group and back to Gear. He smirked a little. "You never know kiddo...maybe you'll end up being happy yourself."

Gear lowered his head and blushed on his one fully flesh cheek. He turned to say something to Lon, but Lon was already half way across the clearing.

-----

Kalla watched Lon coming back across the clearing from his talk with Gear, and started walking towards him.

They greeted each other with a hug and turned towards where the other LMBers were gathered.

Lon stopped her and looked into her eyes. "We did it...all of us, but especially you darlin'. This really could not have happened without you and what you provided to us."

"Lon..."

"Shush. I love you...and I can't wait to see where we go from here, because I have a feeling that life with you is never going to be boring."

"You have no idea Fuzzy," she said with a smile and started then walking back towards the others.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Invisible Brainiac floated silently above the Starsong. Unusual for him lately, he was invisible.

He didn't feel much like talking to anyone, anyway.

He felt useless yet again. Maybe he hadn't been totally useless in battle, but he hadn't really made a difference. Hadn't utilized his powers, skills or intelligence to the fullest.

He hadn't even been able to keep from getting mind-controlled, when theoretically he could have in his light form.

He had been useless. Certainly not as useful as he could have been. Not as great as he could have been. Stalled. In limbo. Afraid to reach his full potential.

Dimmed.

He fingered the earring on his right ear. He hadn't touched it in ages. Why did he continue to rely on it? Couldn't he control his powers by himself now?

He began to unclasp it.

Then, painful memories of the past tore into him. Blood. Rubble. The screams of people he loved. Looks of horror. Limp bodies.

He let go of the earring, and began to cry.

He hadn't cried in a long time, either.

He held himself, because the only person he would allow to hold him was an eternity away and probably didn't even know he was alive.

The young man woke reached out an arm to comfort his lover, and unceremoniously fell out of bed. With a curse, he woke up as he thumped onto the floor.

He looked up to see an empty bed and an empty room. Crestfallen, he sat up and rubbed his eyes. His dream had been so vivid.

His love had been in his arms, crying. Needing him.

After all his love had given him, he wanted to jump at the chance of being needed back.

He sat on the bad sadly, looking at the last message Invisible Brainiac had sent.

"I know you're out there somewhere, baby," he whispered. "Come back to me, please."

[ February 20, 2012, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobalt Kid paced around the Starsong ship, anxious to hear word on Goon Boy. As ever, he tried to coldly push away his feelings and focus on what was next, but after all they had been through, he was finding doing that harder and harder. Right now, all he could feel was emotion.

For years Goon Boy had acted on his behalf, never receiving any credit for his heroism, never experiencing the joys of Legion World and the LMB. There was always the promise of times to come: one day, he’d be back with them laughing and celebrating like old times and it would all be worth it. Stupid, Cobie, he thought to himself. You did such a good job convincing Goonie of that, you convinced yourself. But that dream was gone now. The implant that corrected Goon Boy’s memory handicap was destroyed and in the process, it made it impossible for a similar operation to be done. Goon Boy could not produce memories anymore. Cobalt had asked him to sacrifice everything, offering a light at the end of the tunnel, but when all was said and done, Cobalt made him sacrifice the light at the end of the tunnel too.

And Power Boy…that was something else Cobalt felt guilty about. Peebz was immortal and had a long memory. Once Cobalt shut down his weaponry, Peebz saw the much bigger picture. Power Boy realized that during their adventures he had sparred and trained with all of them—except Cobalt Kid. Because Cobalt did not want Power Boy to know anything about his style of fighting. Because Cobalt still could not bring himself to trust people; still could not bring himself to lay it all out there. Power Boy considered him a friend and ally and Cobalt made plans on how to take his friend down if he ever had to. He had a million reasons for it. But none of it meant anything to Peebz.

Cobalt paced around, once more trying to push these thoughts away. Focus on the mission at hand. Did you ever think you’d get this far? The Hive has been taken off the chess board. Now we move on to Epsilon Sector. If our allies succeeded, this is the final cartel of the Dark Oval before the Dark Lord himself. We’re so close. So why do I feel as if I’m missing something?

As if on cue, the robot Ameratsu moved forward from the edge of the ship. Cobalt had not even seen him there before. The robot was looking at him coyly, as if it was thinking and measuring Cobalt just as the Legionnaire was him. “You are on edge,” he said.

“Yes,” said Cobalt. He knew Ameratsu was clever and insightful, and he felt an urgency now as if the time for playing games was passed. “What am I missing? We’ve been more successful than I could ever dream. So why do I feel as if it’s for nothing?”

Ameratsu’s face gave no emotion but Cobalt felt as if the robot was smiling somehow. “Your instincts are right, Cobaltus,” it said. “While you all were killing one another and playing with the bugs, I was doing my own reconnaissance. I tapped into the secret transmissions between Wyandotte and the Dark Lord. And what I found is you are correct. You are, indeed, missing something.”

Cobalt Kid felt the anxiety and emotion begin to drain from his body. As ever, when things grew serious and dire, Cobalt became cold and calculating. “Wyandotte’s transmissions with the Dark Lord? That must have been interesting.”

“It was,” replied the robot. “Maybe one day I’ll tell you about it. But for now, the matter at hand. Our allies on Earth-4 were indeed successful. So much so, in fact, that Earth-4 is no longer within the Dark Oval.”

Cobalt’s jaw dropped in surprise. As they were speaking, Lard Lad, Disaster Boy and Invisible Brainiac were emerging from below deck. They heard the words immediately and were equally shocked.

“Bloody Liberty…” said Lard Lad, “…then…they did it! Hahaha, they did it!” He turned around and gave Invisible Brainiac, whose spirits perked up slightly, a big hug.

“What else?” said Cobalt, not allowing himself a moment to celebrate. His heart was pounding; something felt wrong. He wanted to ask about the SMB. Rocky. Lolita. But first: the mission.

“The Dark Lord is feeling the pressure. You’ve been more successful than he could have ever possibly imagined. He’s impressed, even. But while he has designs for some among you in particular, he has no use for the UP. Whether its confidence or truly as horrible as it sounds, the Dark Lord believes himself more powerful than all the five Oval powers combined. He now intends to take a direct hand in this war.”

The others had grown quiet as Ameratsu talked, the sense of foreboding Cobalt felt expanding to them.

“How?” said Cobalt, almost at a whisper.

“He’s held his greatest and most terrifying army in reserve all along. It is filled with the greatest of each Oval power’s warriors, each one given as a tribute to him. Even more, it is full of monsters and horrors unseen in the galaxies for thousands of years. Creatures long his slave that he’s waited eons to unleash. This army he sends to crush his enemies and bring this war to an immediate close.”

“Where?” said Disaster Boy.

“The UP,” said Lard Lad, catching on immediately. The army would not liberate the Dominion. It would not search for the Fellowship. It had a more devastating goal in mind.

“Weber’s World,” nodded Cobalt at Lard Lad. “To cut off the head so the body withers and dies. We know that is how the Dark Lord thinks. He’s direct, he’s bold and he’s cruel. The army marches on Weber’s World.”

“Yes,” said Ameratsu. It marches to destroy the UP leadership, expecting to cripple the unity of the planets once and for all. If it takes centuries to claim the membership planets one by one afterwards, he is more than willing to patiently do so. Time means nothing to him.”

“Who knows?” said Cobalt. His mouth was growing dryer by the second as he spoke.

“Just us,” said Ameratsu. The robot’s voice was rigid and cold but they felt as if it contained some emotion; as if the words caused him pain.

Cobalt turned to the others. By now Power Boy and Tempest had also emerged. “They need to be warned,” he said matter-of-factly.

“But what of Epsilon?” said Tempest. Her thoughts were ever on Mala, the evil sorceress that only Tempest had a chance of defeating.

Lard Lad seemed to know what Cobalt was thinking, as always. “We’ll go to Epsilon as planned,” he said. He looked at Cobalt and nodded in agreement, “Des means just not all of us.”

“Someone has to get to Weber’s World to warn them,” said Cobalt. “Meaning someone has to leave the rest of us. Someone fast.”

Before Invisible Brainiac realized Cobalt and Lard Lad had him in mind, he stepped forward. “I’ll go,” he volunteered. His words had an edge to them. He was tired of feeling useless and tired of being scared. If possible, the stakes just became even greater, and instead of the usual emotions that come with such heightened intensity, all he felt was a sense of duty. “Only I can make it there in time,” he said. “You all know I’m right. I wish I could see this thing through with you until the end. But we need to save the UP.”

Power Boy smiled at his friend and clasped him on the back. “We will see you at the end; and we’ll celebrate like never before afterwards.”

Invisible Brainiac smiled, but he was overcome with all kinds of feelings. He simply nodded.

“Paulo,” said Cobalt Kid, walking forward. “You can do this; you were born for this.” He meant every word he said. “Weber’s World is a planet with too many leaders and not enough followers. But now you’ll have to make them follow your lead.” He smiled. “I know you will.”

“Thanks, Cobie,” said Invisible Brainiac. Cobalt has always supported him from his earliest days and it felt good to have that support now. But suddenly, Cobalt surprised everyone, as he stepped forward and hugged Invisible Brainiac tightly. It was the hug an older brother gives to a young one. It said one thing loudly: I’m proud of you.

He backed away and the others came forward to offer some advice and have a moment with him. Disaster Boy spoke up loudly that he would volunteer to go with him; it was only fitting, as Disaster Boy’s health was a concern. Perhaps on Weber’s World, he could re-find his lost mojo.

Tempest came beside Cobalt Kid as they watched the others with Invisible Brainiac. The two had become quietly closer after the events on the Hive. Perhaps because she knew that Cobalt had seen with all certainty her love for Lard Lad. She put her hand on Cobalt’s forearm. “Goon Boy is awake now, Cobie.”

Cobalt’s eyes lit up and he immediately turned to run to Goonie. He left before Tempest could add the words she meant to follow-up on: it’s not pretty.

Cobalt Kid walked into see Goon Boy with a huge smile on his face and extended his hands to give his friend a hug; his emotions were now flooding out of him. But it did not take long to recognize a familiar look on Goon Boy’s face. He was dazed and confused. He did not recognize him.

“Goonie,” said Cobalt, “are you okay?”

Goon Boy nodded. “I feel fine,” he said. “A little sore, but that’s something I’m used to.” He seemed reluctant to continue on.

“I know about your condition,” said Cobalt. As he said the words, he felt a stabbing pain in his chest. That was what the LMB had been accustomed to saying to him years ago before he was cured.

Goon Boy looked relieved and broke into a smile. “Whew,” he said, sighing. “Okay then, that always makes life easier. I don’t recognize you from Adam,” he said. “And I got no clue where we are. Am in a ship or something? Am I at sea?”

“You’re in space,” said Cobalt, flatly. “You…you’ve been on quite a quest. The universe owes you one again. You and the rest of the LMB.”

“LMB?” said Goon Boy perplexed. “What’s that?”

Cobalt’s heart sank. It was his greatest fear. He put his hand on Goon Boy’s shoulder. “It’s nothing, old friend. Nothing at all. We’re going to get you home now, and you’ll be safe there.”

“I doubt it,” said Goon Boy, “damn Dominators won’t ever let it be safe.”

Cobalt tried to smile but couldn’t. “There are no Dominators there anymore, Goonie,” he said. “You’re planet is safe now.” And they owe you a huge debt for it. We all do.

“Ha!” he said, “That’s great news! And thanks for the clothes too,” he added. He was looking at his LMB issue walking ring, as if for the first time. He shrugged and put it on. “Well, I appreciate you taking me home, pal.”

“Nonsense,” said Cobalt, as he felt the dagger in his chest twisting. “It’s the least I can do for you...”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Later, Lard Lad was at the helm studying a star map that he was using to guide the Star Song to its next destination: Epsilon Sector.

Cobalt Kid entered wearily, his eyes red from the inability to sleep. He leaned over and looked at his friend's project.

"Damn, Lardy...that's more detailed than anything Goony, Ameratsu or anyone else has been able to give us. Where'd you get it?"

Lardy pointed to his temple. "It's all in here."

Cobie looked a little surprised for a moment before saying, "Lard Force?"

"Yeah," Lardy replied absently, then picked up his quill and added more detail to the map as if it were just now occurring to him.

Cobie put his hand on his friend's shoulder. "You okay, pal?"

Lardy smiled wearily and turned around to face him. "Yes...and no, Des. On the plus side, I'm not struggling with my 'inner darkness' or whatever. I don't know why, but once I broke through Wyandotte's mojo, I was fine. No 'urge to kill rising' or anything." He laughed.

"So what is it, Lardy?"

"I...just know a lot, now. Too much."

"Like what?"

"For one thing, I can sense my kids now...how they're doing."

"Shit! are they okay?"

"Yeah, yeah...they're fine. Daroon got nailed really bad, but they're okay." He shook his head. "It's their mom...Helena...she's in bad shape. She might not make it..."

"Lardy...I know she means so much to you. Maybe we could...?"

Lardy looked him in the eyes. "You know we can't, Des! Even if your power could save her, we can't abandon the mission!"

"I...I know, Lardy. But I'd do anything for you--you know that, right?"

"I do, Des." Lardy took his hand. "I do. And I know you're beating yourself up right now. About Goony. About Peebz. About Lolita and the Dominion and everything else. You make hard decisions, Des. You always have. More often than not, though, they've been the right ones. Always remember that, Des! I know that I do."

Cobie appreciated his friend's support more than he could say, but the doubt and the guilt wouldn't go away that easily. In any case he was glad to have his friend along with him.

Cobalt looked in his friend's eyes and saw something else was on his mind. "There's more, though, isn't there? Something else your Lard Force has revealed to you"

"Oh, yeah...definitely. It's Pornis."

"Yeah, Pornis. That was his carcass the Hive was hanging out in. We agreed on that, right?"

"No, Des. The Dark Lord is Pornis."

Cobie was befuddled at that. "Pornis? But Eryk and Lucy--you told me they said he was dead and that the Dark Lord is Pornis's father XXXauron?"

"Yes, that's what they said. But it's XXXauron's body that the Hive inhabits. Pornis killed him some time ago. He fathered the insect hoardes with the former Insect Queen and let them nest in his father's corpse. I think he wanted Lucy, Eryk and especially our mother, the One, to think he was dead while he built his power base in secret behind the Dark Oval. The XXXauron thing was...misdirection."

Cobalt's eyes darted to the locket around Lardy's neck that his siblings Eryk Davis Ester and Lucifer Lass gave him. It was supposed to contain XXXauron's severed eye and allow them to defeat him by destroying the eye in the dark Lord's domain. "So the locket...?"

"...probably won't kill Pornis."

"So how are we going to take Pornis down?"

"I guess we'll do it same as always..." Lardy said, grinning as widely as he could manage. "...we'll wing it!"

Cobie managed a grin back. "It's the LMB way, I guess!"

The two friends exchanged a quick embrace.

"Let's get some rest, pal," Lardy said as they let go. "We'll have to see Ibby, Disaster Boy...and Goony...off in a few hours."

So the two went to their separate quarters with heavy hearts and with the weight of the universe on their shoulders.

[ February 23, 2012, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
And the Star Song hurtled through the void closer, ever closer, toward the Heart of All Darkness. Judgement Day was nigh....

End of Part II

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

The Eye of the Dark Lord sees all.

It sees You: your fears, your insecurities, your weaknesses. It sees into your very Soul.

The Eye of Pornis sees what a pitiful threat you pose to It, and It does not blink.

This is the time when all will be judged, and even the Bravest among you may not be deemed worthy in the End.

Now is the time when you must gaze into the Eye and face untold horrors. Even worse, you must face yourself.

His Eye will not blink. Yours cannot either, or all will pay the Price for your weakness.

The Price is the End of all that is, was and will ever be.

One way or the other, the End approaches inexorably.

When the End comes...will You blink?

The Lord of the Oval

Part III: The End of All Things

[ February 29, 2012, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Aboard the Starsong
Dark Oval Space, on the boarder of Epsilon Sector

The magic old pirate ship known as the Starsong sailed through the blackness of space without a sound. It’s centuries old wood frame would occasionally catch the light of a distant star and lighten the deck area, but the light provided no warmth. Since the departure of three of its passengers, the Starsong seemed empty to the remaining members. The adrenaline from yet another unattainable victory had all but receded, as the dread of another impossible challenge loomed over them.

Cobalt Kid looked outwards into space trying to push away the inner conflict he felt ever boiling towards the surface. He knew Power Boy was on the other side of the ship, choosing to distance himself from Cobalt. Lard Lad was over there too now, likely doing his best to bridge the gap between them. Cobalt did not think that was possible; Peebz was an immortal with a long memory used to holding a long grudge. All that mattered was they could work together to see this through.

Ameratsu was nowhere to be found at the moment, but nearby Cobalt was Tempest, sitting cross-legged and levitating as if in a trance. She had mentioned her intentions to create additional barriers and wards around the Starsong to stop them from being detected or attacked. Cobalt knew she was also use a scrying spell into the Epsilon Sector, namely Xerox, the Sorcerer’s World. She would have to be incredibly careful, but Cobalt trusted she would be. She was a master mage, some would even say Goddess.

Ever since the Hive planet, Cobalt Kid and Tempest seemed to have a quiet connection. Tempest laid bare her love for Lard Lad for Cobalt to see, a rare moment of vulnerability, and Cobalt had silently kept her secret, providing her strength and comfort. He had begun to see her now as a sister-at-arms that he could lean on when the time came. And they would both need it now more than ever.

The Epsilon Sector consisted of three major planets, all magically based: Orando, Naltor and most importantly, Xerox. On Xerox were the two most loyal and most deadly of the Dark Lord’s servants: Mala, the great Sorceress Supreme, and Romaltus, Cobalt’s uncle. Behind them was a legion of magical creatures and protectors, and a vast knowledge of spells and secrets that could not only destroy enemies, but destroy galaxies. Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad, as well-weathered and broad-minded as they were, recognized they were out of their depths now. So much of this would rely on Tempest.

Though Tempest and Mala had never met, the two hated one another. A quiet, subtle battle of wills had been raging ever since Tempest set foot into the Dark Oval. It had grown stronger over time, unbeknownst to Tempest’s allies, but now it was building with ever silent glide forward the Starsong took.

Cobalt looked at Tempest, her silent strength making her even more beautiful, and resolved to be strong himself. On the Hive planet something that happened: somehow he had begun to heal when he was on the verge of death. As if someone had reached out to save him, across the universe, and give him another chance. Cobalt knew it was Romaltus. For some reason, Romaltus had not wanted him to die, even though Cobalt was now on his way to end Romaltus once and for all. What does it all mean? he thought, struggling with the thought. He found it increasingly difficult to consider these questions logically when all the emotions of the past months—years even—were now beginning to flood his every thought. The Khunds and the Dominion; Goon Boy; Peebz; Lolita; Crujeckie. He even thought of his father and his home planet; Dr. Hoffman. Even, for the briefest of moments, his mother. Why did Romaltus save me?

He looked in a mirror near the Captain’s quarters and scarcely recognized himself. He had a thick black beard that made him look 10 years older and more weathered than ever. His hair had grown long, down past his cheeks. His clothes were old, worn out remnants from a forgotten civilization. Only his boots and his belt were in good condition, and even they had been through the ringer.

As if on cue, Lard Lad approached and saw him looking at himself. “Men with beards are twice as manly,” he said matter-of-factly. “After all these years with me, you’d think you’d know that.”

Cobalt Kid laughed. Lard Lad was like a new man now that the Lard-Force had returned. He was confident and bold. His old self. “We’re getting closer. The subtle way for us again, though I doubt that will last long. This one is just going to be end up being a hell of a fight.”

“Good,” said Lard Lad. “I remember pretty damn clearly how much of a fight I wanted to give them the last time I was on Xerox, and I’m ready for it. We’ll sneak in, but when shit goes sideways, each one of us has the firepower to make every moment count.”

“Onwards to Xerox, then.”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
MIDNIGHT: THE STARSONG
EPSILON SECTOR

Power Boy walked barefoot on the deck of the ship, absorbing the starlight into his cosmically powered cells. His bare chest glowed slightly as he drank in the celestial energy. Everyone else slept below decks as the Star Song flew through space, on a collision course with Xerox.

“Xerox” That world trouble Power Boy. Sorcery could harm Power Boy more easily than other forms of attacks, but that wasn’t exactly why he didn’t like that planet. Power Boy was a creature of advanced science, to the point that he was nearly part of the cosmos. He could sense it around him with his innate understanding of the laws of physics. This helped him to navigate through space, use his abilities, and even sense danger. He didn’t understand magic; it was like a short cut to everything he knew.

Power Boy’s feeling of unease grew as the Star Song flew. It was true he had many reasons to feel unsteady. His rift with Cobalt Kid had left him disillusioned in their fellowship. Why had he joined himself with these fickle humans? Surely the Dark Lord would offer Power Boy a place in any new universal order, or he could deal with whomever the Dark Lord sent to kill him.

“BAH! These are foolish thoughts.” He spoke through gritted teeth.

He had hoped that recharging while the others were asleep would make him feel better but, as he soaked in the energy, he realized how much was wrong with the universe. The Dark Lord’s influence grew and seeped throughout the universe, making a mockery of the laws of causality. Power Boy sensed solar systems slightly askew, gravity itself varied slightly; soon it may be perceptible even to humans. World’s long extinguished flickered in and out of existence. It was enough to make Power Boy feel as if he was going mad.

That wasn’t all. He had a growing sense of paranoia, as if they were being followed, watched. Normally, Power Boy was sure of his enhanced senses but with the universe on the brink of an upheaval, and his loss of one of his closest friends … Power Boy lacked surety, he had spent the past few days becoming more withdrawn, more quiet, and more disturbed.

The Star Song continued through the Epsilon Sector, the seat of power for magic in the universe. They had sailed through easily so far, despite their enemies here, no small thanks to Tempest he presumed.

< “GASP!!” >

Power Boy’s head snapped in the direction of the sound “Now THAT was real.”

He seemed to disappear as he sped below decks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRASH !!!!!

Tempest flung her hand over her face as the door to her quarters exploded in splinters.

Her brow was sweaty and her breath still short but, she appeared unharmed as she stood in front of large glass that looked like a mirror except that it swirled with violet iridescent clouds.

A nude Power Boy, skin glowing with starlight, stood amongst the dust of what was once her door.

“Power Boy? What is the meaning of this …”

“I heard you cry out, are you alright Tempest?”

“Yes, I think I am, which is more than I can say for my door. ” and then Tempest mumbled “… I … I just received some bad news.”

“Well, we had better hear it.” Cobalt Kid said as he stepped passed Power Boy’s impressive physique. He was dressed in his sleeping clothes.

Ameratsu also rounded the corner behind him, pausing as he stepped over the rubble of the door. “oh dear.” his mechanical voice chirped.

Cobalt Kid gestured for Tempest to proceed.

“Very well.” Tempest sighed. “I have been using my scrying glass to gain information on Mala. I’ve been viewing Orando, Naltor, and Xerox of course … ”

Tempest straightened, her usual frosty composure returning. One would never know she was just panting and sweating with terror.

“ … When I saw Titus’ reflection in the glass.” She said quickly as if to get it out away from her. Then more slowly, “I heard these words:

‘The lord of rape and murder returns’.

It sounded like it came from the room.” Her face was impassive but she had to clasp her hands together to keep them from shaking.

“Except, his face, his face was like night, like one of his ghouls … strange that.”

“Then, I turned around quickly, and no one was behind me. He wasn’t there. I looked back to the scrying glass … and that’s when Power Boy …. ‘ahem’ … made his entrance.”

“Do YOU sense anything?” Cobalt Kid spoke directly to Power Boy’s face, momentarily forgetting their problems in the face of a new threat.

Power Boy was taken aback, he turned and spoke to the crowd, not to Cobalt Kid. “I sense nothing. I only heard Tempest cry out.”

There was a long pause. “However, my senses have been … unreliable … lately, especially as we grow closer to Xerox.” “Magic” … he nearly sneered, and Tempest raised and eyebrow. “Magic, replaces the normal laws of the universe here.”

“Normal?” Tempest giggled. She looked as if she would pursue the argument when Cobalt Kid said “Fine, we continue on as we are. If Titus appears, we will deal with that as it comes.”

“Just the same, I will stay nearby in case there is another incident.” Power Boy said.

“There is no need, I’m quite all right. Besides my own wards, I suspect the Star Song has defenses for us as well …. Although, maybe not Power Boy after this evening.” She teased.

Everyone filed out, the door of the Star Song already beginning to repair itself.

As Ameratsu left, he counted their numbers and chuckled to himself that Lard Lad must have slept through all the excitement.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

ZEROX: Five Against the Epsilon Sector

The Starsong sailed on the Sea of Mists towards Zerox’s capitol city. The silent ship cut through the colored mists, sending the translucent vapors swirling around it.

The Starsong flew like an invisible and silent missile towards the ancient capitol of Magic. The once brilliant city was now grey and old. It looked ready to crumble at any moment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ameratsu waited on the Starsong, surrounded in mists like the Charon of ancient myth, on a ghost river, waiting to transport the dead.

His android fingers rolled Titus’ spear around in his fingers, sophisticated micro fibers in his golden skin found every imperfection. From Tempest’s premonition it appeared Titus may have returned to the universe. Would Ameratsu never be free of his captor?

Ameratsu observed and he waited for the right moment to act, to use the information gathered through his complex android sense, to his best advantage.

That’s what he did, and it had served him well.

Now he stood on the deck of the Starsong, tracking his new colleagues with his computerized android senses. He saw then through telescopic eyes, heard their footsteps through radio, and monitored their life signs through infra red sensors.

He watched and he waited for his moment in the plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lard Lad made his way up the precarious steps of the high library tower, the supreme bastion of magical lore in the universe. He had easily avoided the younger mages on his way up through the rooms to the highest reserved areas where the most ancient and powerful texts would be. He also easily took out the older mages that he came across.

“Old men, and children.” He complained to himself.

He climbed up through the highest floors, sweat appearing on his brow.

CRUNCH …

Lard Lad’s foot slip on something … he tumbled down a few steps and came to a stop as he fell against the corner of a landing with a loud …

CRASH! that reverberated up and down the ancient staircase.

“Sprocking …mutter … nass …. Grumble ….”

Lard Lad thought, ‘if he was wondering where everyone was before, that crash would bring them all running.’

“This place is a deathtrap! Must’ve slipped on a rock … This place is falling apart ... ” He mused to himself while patting his shoulder that had borne the brunt of his fall.

His eyes scanned the steps when he noticed what he had slipped on ….. “BONES!”

It all made sense now, why he had such an easy time gaining entry to one of the most secure places in the universe. Everyone who could put up a fight was either dead or gone. Leaving only children or old people to maintain the library, which was falling apart. This wasn’t natural decay. It would take hundreds of years to get this bad naturally, something was sucking the life out of the very building.

He looked around and noticed something for the first time. There were hardly any books on the shelves. Those remaining were covered in dust and spider webs. He had come here to use the ancient manuscripts at the top of the tower to find knowledge or a weapon to defeat the Dark Lord. That’s what he told his friends but, there was another reason. He wanted to know about his connection to the Dark lord.

Now he wasn’t so sure there would be anything left to find. Someone had looted the place of anything valuable, and left the rest to rot.

He hoped he could find some answers at the top of these stairs. He hoped there was still something, anything, left at the top that could be of use. He needed answers to stop the Dark Lord, and to figure out what was happening to him.

His feet fell more and more quickly as he climbed the stairs, sweat dripping down his face. He tried not to think about how empty the library was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cobalt Kid strode through the empty streets of what should be the most magical and opulent place in the universe. Now, bricks crumbled, rats scurried, and weeds flew in the dusty wind.

He kept a fast pace his boots hitting the dirt in a quick cadence. It was the only sound he heard. He reached his destination.

The arched walls of an enormous colosseum rose above him. Unlike the rest of the city, the colosseum looked to be in good condition. He could barley see the top in the glaring light of this dying planet.

He saw the front entrance. Grand arch large enough for a freight ship to fit through.

“If Romaltus is anywhere on Zerox, He’ll be here” He said through gritted teeth, the words sound like gravel coming out of his now dry throat.

He tossed his coat back, revealing his blaster on his right hip. He placed his right hand on it and moved inevitably through the darkened entrance arch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Boy stood on one of Zerox’s moons, staring down on the pale orb that was Zerox.

He remembered Lard Lad’s words but it didn’t make him feel any better. “You’re our big gun Peebs, If this goes tits up you’re the only one that can get the job done alone. but, if those magic users see you coming they’ll be able to stop you.”

Power Boy hadn’t anticipated the swirling mists of Zerox obscuring his vision and hearing powers. This was already going wrong. He had no way of knowing what was going on until they called for him on their communications system. By then, it might be too late.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tempest floated unseen past guards, servants, and mages. She passed through luxurious chamber after chamber filled with riches.

“This woman feasts while the planet around her rots.” She shook her head as a servant looked around in every direction wondering where the words came from.

“Tsk!” Tempest chided herself, she couldn’t let her anger get the better of her. She would need her wits when she faced Mala.

She moved invisible to the center of the palace, through courtyards and ponds. She heard the sound of music as she approached.

‘Nearly there.’ She thought.

Two very imposing and beautiful guards felt a breeze as she passed through them into Mala’s throne room.

The palace was a mess. Food overflowed the tables. Candles burned, almost naked servants scurried with their heads down trying to clear the tables.

SKREEEEEEE!!!! a magical blast fired.

Tempest slid behind a column preparing her spells. Her breath slowed as a second blast never came.

She looked from behind the column and saw Mala …. Lounging on top of the bodies of several muscular men. She used these specimens of human physical perfection as her throne. Her left hand was still glowing red from discharging a power blast.

A pile of dust laid smoking in front of her. A string instrument laid nearby.

“HAHAHAHAHA!” Mala cackled. “His music displeased me … but his death amused me.” … “only for a moment.” Her face manically happy one moment and sad the next.

“Lady Otoline!!!!!” She raged. “fetch me another musician!!”

A regal woman in white, with white hair and white skin attended Mala.

‘Lady Otoline?’ Tempest thought ‘She is one of the leaders of Zerox, or she was, and a powerful magic user. Is she in league with Mala or her captive?’

The white woman replied to Mala “Mistress … there are no more musicians … you have … been displeased … with them all.” From the woman’s composure it was unclear if she was a captive or a conspirator of Mala’s.

“BAH!” Mala screamed “Then fetch me a fool … to make me laugh!!!” “or YOU will amuse me Lady Otoline!”

The Lady Otoline looked ready to persist but then she faltered under Mala’s stare … “Yes Mistress.” … and left the throne room, presumably in search of a fool to make amuse Mala. Lady Otoline had obviously been taught not to disagree with Mala.

This scene enraged Tempest. Mala’s perversion, her waste of Zerox, and her breaking of the mages.

It would end now.

[ March 21, 2012, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

Lolita
His Girl Friday

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lolita           Edit/Delete Post     
Earth-4,
Universe-4

“Wow, real coffee,” said Lolita with a wide smile, inhaling deeply to take in every bit of the aroma. “I can’t remember the last time I had some.”

“I bet that sentiment is being shared by just about everyone on Earth right now,” said Shark Lad with a smile, as he handed her the cup. He was not much of a coffee drinker, but seeing her and others enjoy it made him happy.

Earth, or Earth-4 as it was known to the LMB, had been liberated. It was back within its proper universe, and the process of restoring it to greatness had now begun. It would not be easy and it would not be fast. But it had begun, and this was day #1. There had been tremendous loss, and the trauma of all they lost still hung over them, but many of them could not help but share in the optimism.

Lolita and Shark Lad, both relatively unhurt from the final battle, had volunteered to go out and walk among the others, providing coffee and good cheer to anyone who would listen. The planet was jam-packed all over with United Planets emergency services and military, but most importantly, with Earth citizens standing tall to rebuild. But most important among all of them on-planet were the small cadre of sentients known as the Losers, who fought and died for Earth. Who set it free.

They did not get far when Shark Lad’s senses began to put him on edge. It was a familiar sight and Lolita knew full well who was coming. “Job seems tailor made for you, fish lips,” said a rough voice that was instantly recognizable as Timberwolf’s.

“Laugh it up furball,” replied Shark Lad with a smile. “And get some hot coffee all over that nice pretty boy face you’ve got now.”

Timberwolf smiled his wicked grin. It was an uneasy smile to Lolita—always maintaining the aura of danger. “While it’s a nice sentiment you two are providing, I think its time we stepped back from the celebrations.”

“Excuse me?” said Lolita. She was a little taken aback by her good deed being looked down on.

“Let me be more blunt,” said Timberwolf. “It’s time to move on. Or have you forgotten, our job is only have done? Earth-4 is saved, but so what? The Dark Lord is still planning to crush us all and our friends could be dead right now?”

The words were harsh and laid bare all of the fears each member of the LMB shared. Shark Lad looked at Lolita and could see her thinking about Cobalt Kid for the first time in awhile, probably imagining him dead. “A little much, isn’t it, Lon?” he said annoyed.

“No, he’s right,” said Lolita. She dumped her coffee on the ground. “It’s time to get back and finish this.”

“How do we plan to do that?” asked Shark Lad, getting to the heart of the matter. They had all gotten very good at making sure plans were never vague or ambiguous—if something was going to be done, better to be clear about how from the onset.

“I’ll show you,” said Lolita, and she walked away. Her fear over her friends was quickly turning to anger at Timberwolf for having reminded her about it.

Timberwolf smiled at Shark Lad, pleased with himself for spurring it on. Shark Lad shook his head.

Rockhopper Lad and Rockhopper Lass were huddled together, overlooking the clearing away of debris and military equipment in what was now once more being referred to as Gotham City. Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle sat by Rockhopper Lad’s feet and got up to give a friendly greeting as Lolita approached.

“It’s time, Rocky,” she said to him. Her words carried a tone of please don’t disagree with me.

Rockhopper Lad frowned a little but nodded. “I know. I wish we could stay and celebrate. Indeed, I wish I didn’t have to go back. My major concern of this whole operation has been addressed. Earth-4 is liberated and I’m with my sister again. But as leader of the LMB, I have no choice.”

“No,” said Lolita softly. “You do not.”

“We’ll gather up our fellowship and make preparations today. We might be able to even leave by nightfall.”

“I think we’re all healthy enough to travel. Except our Faraway Lad. He won’t be going anywhere for a time. He’s far too sick to come with us.”

“This Earth’s Darden can send us back then,” nodded Rockhopper Lad. “Let’s make sure the Covenant knows too. They’ve lost so much. I’m not sure if they’ll want to join us, but they are welcome.” He turned to Rockhopper Lass. “Adelie, I had wondered if you were going to stay behind on your Earth—“

“—And you wondered wrong, brother,” she smiled. “I’m coming with you. Oh, don’t be so surprised. Of course I’m coming with you. You journeyed across the universe to help us defeat the Evil Emperor Penguin. I’ll be glad to help you return the favor.”

Rockhopper Lad smiled. “That gives me more comfort than you could know.”

“I’m not the only one, either,” she said.

“The rest of the Covenant is coming then?” said Lolita. She was thinking about Bat-Fem, who she expected would feel the need to fight on, and Seth Gaterra, who she figured would want to be with Helena.

“The rest of the Losers, dear,” said Rockhopper Lass with a smile. Now both Lolita and Rockhopper Lad were surprised. “What, did you think they would abandon you in your time of need? That they have gotten what they needed and now would rest forevermore, letting injustice prevail elsewhere?”

Rockhopper Lad smiled at the words while Lolita’s face grew red. “Of course not,” she said.

“We’ll all assemble together,” said Rockhopper Lass. The UP and the Terrans can oversee the reconstruction of Earth. The Losers mission will not end until all are free of tyranny.”

Late that evening, they gathered. Their numbers were robust and the camaraderie helped raise their spirits. Most of them were citizens of Earth-4, either former SMBers or a once novice group who rose up to become freedom fighters.

Lolita stood with the two Faraway Lad’s who were watching them. The Faraway Lad of Earth-1 was bedridden but demanded he be carried out to see. He looked gaunt and exhausted but his condition was slowly improving. The Earth-4 Faraway Lad was in better condition but he too was exhausted—he’d have one shot to teleport all of the Losers at once to Universe-1 again, and that would be it; he’d drain his power reserves for quite awhile after. It was for this reason he wasn’t coming either.

Lolita hugged them both; something about the Faraway Lad’s stirred a tender feeling in her heart. “I’m proud of you,” said Faraway Lad of Earth-1, and Lolita felt perhaps for the first time that she had made a father proud. A tear rolled down her eye as she told him to rest and get better.

She turned to see the assembled: Rockhopper Lad and Rockhopper Lass, leading the charge. Nearby, Kalla Hyrkos and Timberwolf, whose critical importance would increase only more from hereon. Helena Handbasket, who traveled with them on this journey, and her lover Seth Gaterra, who she was reunited with. And the last remaining Covenant member, Bat-Fem, who did not look like she was cheerful in the least. And how could she, after losing two incredibly close to her? Lolita felt no great affection for Bat-Fem, but did feel sympathy for her loss.

Time Teller Lad did his best to stay strong, but he was badly injured. He was sitting and bandaged up from the battle, with Hyvvie giving him as much love as possible. Tim would not be engaging in any further battles, but he insisted on coming with Rocky. Rocky acquiesced and no one dared question it. His powers are laughed at by many, but no one dare ever question his courage now, thought Lolita.

Shark Lad was nearby, and she was thankful for that. Though, truth to be told, the two had spent little time together. Was she relying more on him as a shield from others than a proper boyfriend? Is now really the time to be thinking about that?

Shark Lad was with the Earth-4 Shark Lad. Two Shark Lads ought to make for quite an offense if needed. Other SMBers were assembled as well: Lightning Lass, Danny Blaine, Portfolio Girl, Super Dense Kid, Infra Red Lass, Monkey Eater Lad Saturn Guy, Atypical Lass, Outdoor Miner, Beagz, Kid Heavyfeathers and Satan Claws Cramer. It wasn’t a lot of the SMB, but it was something. So many others were too hurt to continue on.

And last of all there were the true Losers. The ones who were not SMBers, but instead rose up because they saw a need to defend liberty and fight for freedom. These were perhaps the most heroic of all, thought Lolita. They included Hugh Taylor, Gear, Ghost Girl, Zhiya, Cuddly Beaver, Hummingbird and Saffron Kid. The Primary Colors Gang promised to look out for Earth while this band was away, but Saffron Kid decided he would see this thing through to the end before rejoining his uncle. Also with them was Karate Kid, originally from Earth-1 like they were. The liberation of Earth-4 had stirred something deep within him; a sense of defending those who could not defend himself. He’d always had it—but now he felt compelled to do something about it.

They were a mix of so many different people and groups it was hard to label them. So they did it themselves: the Losers. And they all felt great about it.

Lolita walked over to Zhiya, whom she had grown so close to in so short a time. “Is it time?” asked Zhiya.

“It’s time,” said Lolita.

Rockhopper Lad nodded at the Faraway Lad of Earth-4, who nodded back.

Earth-4 was saved. Now it was time to save the multiverse.

From: Right by Cobie's Side | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Suburbia

Goon Boy reclined in his seat and looked curiously at the package on his lap. It was a small round disk, about the size of a wallet.

It was plain and featureless, except for a small lens, and a message carved into the side. He read it again.

It said, "A story of heroism." Now who would give him a storybook?

And who could have left a message like this? The words were carved not by a knife or a tool, but by... What seemed to be a laser.

Suddenly, the disk reacted. Goon Boy watched as images flashed before him, like some kind of slide show.

"There once was a young boy from Suburbia. Scientists granted him great strength at a cost – his memory was impaired. He couldn’t form new ones.”

His breath stopped. Could this be talking about him? Then…

”But despite his handicap, he was still able to do a lot of good.”

Goon Boy watched as the disk showed images of great triumphs. He couldn’t remember any of them, but he appreciated the enormity of those scenes.

Founding the Secret Society of Comedy Based Heroes.

His marriage to Commonsense Queen.

Joining the Legion of Message Board Posters.

Defeating Whordru.

The infiltration of Kancun.

Becoming an undercover agent of the LMB Espionage Squad.

Working with the Fellowship in Dark Oval space.

Eliminating the threat of Wyandotte.

The final scene showed his comrades in the Fellowship – Cobalt Kid, Lard Lad, Power Boy, Tempest, Invisible Brainiac and Disaster Boy – bidding him a fond farewell.

“We’ll be back some day, pal. We’ll make good memories again.”

Goon Boy shed a tear, and closed his eyes. He’d long since accepted his condition. What was overwhelming was all the good he’d managed to do in spite of it.

Goon Boy opened his eyes, and looked at the package on his lap. He couldn't remember where he'd gotten it. He turned it around to examine it; one could never be too careful.

He had a good feeling about it, though. Maybe it came from one of his friends.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Zerox

Lardy continued to climb the ancient staircase. It was longer and more spiralling than he'd remembered it ever being before. But he knew that the only constant thing about Zerox was that it was ever-changing.

He had spent the better part of a year on this planet with his wife Dru, foresaking his life with the LMB to support her and her role as one of Zerox's Council of Seven. Looking back, it was the most peaceful, happy time of his life. But it ended all too soon as three of the Seven had betrayed Zerox and all of Epsilon Sector to the Dark Oval. Dru died quickly as the Oval unleashed their weapon of mass destruction, Dru's father Mordru. Lardy destroyed Mordru, but nothing would ever bring his wife back.

He'd been through so much since then. He'd worked with the enemy in order to obtain his revenge. Then, he'd died saving Legion World until he was restored by a complex spell Dru had put into motion long before she'd died. He'd lost his powers, went over the deep end and finally embarked on this Quest in search of redemption...and truth.

And now here he was, back on Zerox, on the area that had been once called the Isle of Wisdom. There were no islands on Zerox anymore. The vast oceans were now mysteriously dried up, a great example of the terrible decay that had set in on the planet. Lardy knew Mordru's onslaught had ravaged the planet, but not to this extent. Something had drained the planet of much of its vitality in the intervening years.

As he continued to climb, he tried not to think of the life he and Dru had shared on this island. Their suite had been located just across the street, and next to the Great Library was the Magical Artifacts Division where Dru's fate had been sealed. He remembered the last time they'd made love and how they had just started talking about starting a family.

Lardy shook his head. If he let those memories keep seeping in, he wouldn't be able to continue as they would overwhelm him. He wished he could 'port to the top, but he knew the Library's magical nature would fuck with his energies and cause unpredictable results.

He turned his thoughts toward Tempest. He could feel himself and her getting closer, coming together in the midst of their Quest. Some might think that he was attracted to her because she, like Dru, was a sorceress. He knew better. There were some obvious similarities, but he could feel the differences and the uniqueness of their connection, even if he couldn't put it in words. If they could both make it out of this somehow, they would be able to build a life together. He was certain of it.

Finally, he reached the top of the seemingly endless flight of stairs. His eyes darted around for the thing he instictively knew would be there. He didn't know what it was, but he would recognize it when he saw it....and there it was.

He walked up to a shelf and was drawn to one particular musty old tome among many. He reached for it and looked at the cover. The inscription read: The Book of Priapus by Arun Nal.

"Arun Nal," Lardy whispered. Arun Nal, he knew, was the High Seer of Naltor and Prime Councilor of the Seven. Kalla Hrykos had told them that Arun had conspired with Romaltus and Mala to overthrow Epsilon Sector. Arun, however, was demanded as a sacrifice by the Dark Lord to consecrate the Oval being complete. Kalla said that all the Oval Elite had drunk his blood for the ritual.

"Arun Nal was the greatest Seer ever known," Lardy said to himself. He thumbed through the book. "This looks to have everything we ever need to know about Pornis, or 'Priapus' as he is also known. I've gotta find the others!"

Knowing he could safely teleport from the Great Library's apex, Lardy clutched the book and 'ported to parts unknown.

[ March 25, 2012, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Cobalt Kid walked under the marble arches of the once magnificent coliseum. Though there was little light beyond the opening, Cobalt could clearly see this was where he was meant to go. The coliseum was in better condition than most of the rest of Zerox—he could only assume for the worst reasons.

It made sense to Cobalt that Romaltus would be here. The two of them were so similar…both had turned their backs on the violent and cruel life of Ggrrgg, which was so often represented by the spectacle of the coliseum. Romaltus had desired peace and higher learning, just like Cobalt did. Somewhere, each one had lost their way.

Cobalt watched his boots, expected each step to reveal some magical trickery as the planet itself worked against him. But such tricks never came. All that moved under his feet was dust and dirt. For a moment, Cobalt considered his boots and his utility belt were the only things he still had with him from Weber’s World. He looked up and could see through the murky haze a figure not far away. He knew instantly it was his uncle.

For as long as he remembered, Cobalt felt an incredible isolation. A loneliness he could never overcome, no matter how hard he tried or ignored it. He had always been different from his Ggrrggian kinsmen. He knew Romaltus had been the same and when he finally was able to meet him, it was if a light bulb flashed in his head for the first time. Here was another son of Ggrrgg, somehow able to escape the cruelty of the planet and so some real good in the galaxy. Here was someone who understood. Who saw the ways things were, and knew they could be healed. Yet the motives might have been different from the rest of Ggrrgg, but modus operandi employed by Romaltus was all too similar, and far worse than Cobalt could ever have imagined.

“Nephew,” he heard as he approached, and Romaltus pulled back the hood from his cloak. Much like Cobalt, Romaltus was dressed modestly. He had a welcoming, friendly smile that spoke of a kindness and piousness in his character. His head was bald, and he had a graying beard to compliment his tired, weather-worn face. There was genuine relief on his face to see Cobalt.

“Uncle,” said Cobalt Kid coldly. The warmth Romaltus was showing brought a seething anger to the surface for Cobalt. For weeks his emotions had been raging unchecked for the first time in his life. This close to his uncle, he could no longer hide them. “I’ve thought of you often these past many years,” said Cobalt. “Since the day your co-conspirators and you murdered a citizenry.”

Romaltus would not be baited. “I’ve thought of you often too, Desmonius. I hoped you would one day come here. Prayed, even. I saved you that day, years ago. And I will save you again.”

The words caused Cobalt to smile a wicked, hard grin. “There’s no saving for me, Uncle. And you either. You may not believe it, but neither did your colleagues in the Dominion or the Hive.”

Romaltus shook his head with a smile. “Non-believers and monsters,” he said. “You’ve done us a great favor, nephew, to rid the Lord of those most unworthy subjects. The new age is upon us, and only the most worthy should remain. It is going to be a beautiful, glorious age of peace and true prosperity. I would see you live in such an age, as well.”

Cobalt felt his patience diminishing. He had been sizing up his uncle and his surroundings. The haze was preventing him from seeing the full scope of the coliseum, but he could manage. There was not much metal on Zerox, given the natural enmity between magic and iron and other metals, but he could feel some metal beneath them as part of the structure of the coliseum. “You truly believe this nonsense, then?” said Cobalt. “You wouldn’t be the first, I guess. I’ve seen motivations of all kinds, usually inspired by greed and the inability to control an impulse. Some part of me expected that here. But no, you truly believe Pornis is the answer to the galaxy’s problems.”

“I know he is,” said Romaltus, this time extending his hand so it fell on Cobalt’s shoulder. “The galaxy is a disgusting, broken place. The Lord will heal it.”

The touch felt soothing and comforting, but Cobalt slapped his hand away in a violent motion. Was Romaltus using his healing power on him? Both of them had healing powers, though Cobalt hardly understood how anymore. “By destroying those who won’t follow him,” said Cobalt, though his voice had softened. “Uncle, how could you buy into this?” he asked, his anger subsiding.

“I know you think you gained your powers through some other overcomplicated ordeal,” replied Romaltus changing the subject. “But you are beginning to see that is not true. You’ve always had them, and your magnetism too. They are extensions of the same thing, expressing the same concept. My own work on the same basis but differently. You and I have a tremendous gift. We can restore. We can realign. We can heal. Haven’t you dedicated an enormous part of your life to achieving these things for the universe? Hasn’t it been for the same goal? Think of all you’ve lost and all you’ve suffered. All the broken relationships you’ve left in your wake, to heal this world. I know, because I’ve done the same. And now there is a chance it can finally all work. You have to trust me, nephew,” he said, once more extending his arm and putting it on Cobalt’s forearm.

Cobalt felt the inclination to pull away out of instinct but did not do it right away. Instead, he felt tired. Exhausted. The journey had been so long, and in fact, Cobalt saw now the journey did not start at Weber’s World or even Legion World. It started so long ago. Had Dr. Hoffman’s torture broken him all those years ago? Or was it really his mother? Did Romaltus truly see the world as he did? “Uncle…” he said. “…You must know, I would never join you…I would never let Pornis destroy the galaxies and all I hold dear. I would rather die, than…”

“You would rather die, period,” said Romaltus. “It’s time you admitted that to yourself. You’ve been prepared to give up everything you love—your possessions, your titles, your loved ones and your friends. And for what? For the better good? It’s cowardly. It’s an excuse to stop trying. It’s simple misdirection and while you see yourself as the trickster, you’re truly the one being played. How long must this charade go on? How long will you be stuck in this never-ending cycle of spy games and sacrifices while your soul languishes?”

Cobalt felt his body weakening. The words came crashing into him like buckets of ice cold water. “I don’t know,” he said to Romaltus. “I want to feel something…” he said softly, “…but all I feel is pain…” he said breathing hard.

“It has not been an easy road for you, nephew. It was not easy for me either. You’ve been betrayed and disillusioned at every turn. You’ve had your dignity stripped from you in the most vile of circumstances. You had your sense of self lost. You’ve known what its like to be helpless. And you’ve know what its like when no one loves you." Romaltus' words softened as he sopke. "But I can tell you that you are loved. That within you, no matter how small, there is an inch of self-worth. Focus on that, and let the rest go.”

Cobalt felt himself falling forward, into the dirt. Was he being poisoned? Mind-controlled? Worse? No. He was simply facing the truth. He felt everything he had been holding back his entire life. The shame of the torture. The loss of his father. The guilt of the secrets he kept from his friends. And the rage…the rage he felt about so much. The rage he felt about his mother.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!

He screamed out in rage, and pieces of himself he long closed off came out. He ripped at his own beard and pulled hairs out, slashing at his own face in fury. He felt himself breathing heavy and his vision blurring. He felt nausea and he yet, he felt a sudden bit of relief.

Romaltus held him, and gave him comfort. “Everywhere you go, you carry this tremendous burden on your back. This weight, that holds you down and chokes you. It is so hard to even catch your breath. The world depends on you, and you can’t even trust it to do the right thing. It’s time to be free of these shackles. It’s time to set this burden down. Forgive yourself, Des. Love yourself again. They took that from you a long time ago. But you can still take it back. Set the burden down.

Cobalt stopped screaming for a moment, and looked down at the sand. For the first time in 9 years, he saw tears running off his face into the sand. He’d believed the ability to cry had been taken from him through the torture. He told his friends it was physical though he knew it was psychological from the start. But now he felt the tears running down his cheeks as his eyes went blurry. And instead of pain, he felt a tremendous release as he cried.

And as Romaltus held him, the haze began to drift away and the coliseum became clear. They stood in the center, and the air became thinner around them. And all around them, in the seats of the coliseum watching, were the undead citizenry of Zerox, looking on with empty hunger in their eyes.

[ March 26, 2012, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The border of the United Planets space.

Dev Em flew and scanned the scene in front of him. At most, he was about an hour ahead of the “Dragon’s Teeth' and was in shock at what he was seeing.

He reached up and adjusted the headset he was wearing as he slowed a safe distance from what he was witnessing.

"Ceej? Can you guys hear me?"

"Ye...it's a li..le garbled but we c.. hear you pre..y well."

Dev shut his eyes for a second and sighed. "Okay then, sorry Ceej, you're gonna have to tell Hrun to stand down."

"What? Why?"

Dev could hear Hrun ranting in the background. He actually really felt sorry for C.J. Taylor at this moment. Telling Hrun that he couldn't engage in battle was not a fun thing.

"I'm going in closer for a better look, but I am seeing total devastation, not a ship that looks like it has a power source active. Scanning for any survivors, but so far nothing."

"Be careful Dev. We're right behind you."

-----------------

Dev flew in closer to one of the ships that had been running a symbolic blockade against those trying to enter, or leave, the United Planets. There had been ships from both sides of the border standing off and engaging anyone that came too close to them from their own sectors.

Of all the useless and senseless things to do. Destroying each other over things that....

He cocked his head to the right a little bit as he looked at the hull of one of the ships.

He hit the headset again, "C.J., this is really odd. The hull of the first ship looks like it was ripped apart...by hand."

Dev slowly approached the tear in the ship and placed his hands on the indentations that were clearly visible. Definitely made by someone, and not a something.

AS he scanned several other ships in the area, he could see puncture holes in various ships. Holes that were about the size of a man. This was not good. The type of strength that it took to accomplish something like this meant that it was a Daxamite...or worse.

"Dev...we're getting close enough to pick up a life sign in the ship to your left. It seems to be moving your way."

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.