Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Zerox
The Present

Most of Zerox had been ravaged to were there was little thought of beauty left. As Tempest followed Mala as she walked to her private chambers, she passed gilded halls and pillars. All that was once opulent in Zerox is now horded here. Mala walked through two towering doors at the end of a long hall and shut the doors behind her. Tempest peered at the doors and sprinted to them. She placed her hands on them, feeling the door for any traps. Tempest stood back, released as white swirl of energy on the door and walked through.

As she appeared on the other side, she saw a large circular room with Grecian pillars and red silk cover every piece of gold furniture. The room was lit by thousands of candles and the three fire places dispersed along the wall. Mala was standing the middle of the room, looking over something on a large table. She used her left hand to flick her hair back. Tempest saw them. On her hand, five rings. Anger began to build up, but Tempest quickly focused herself. Tempest turned her palm up, brought it to her left side of her body and extended to her right as if giving a bow. As her hand moved across her body, all the fires were smothered by a gentle breeze that over took the room. Then she re-lit all the fires, each flicker of flame left it’s home and hurled at Mala.

Mala push her hands forward as the flames erupted into an explosion. Tempest waved her hands over her and a white mystic shield protected her as the entire room was set on fire.

Mala smiled, “Oh dear. Not problem, though.”

She raised her left hand and the red jewel on her index finger glowed as fires simmered. She looked at Tempest. “I knew you would come to me. I suppose you would be wanting this back.” Mala held her left arm straight in front of her and raised her middle finger, which held a white gemstone ring.

Tempest composed herself and walked closer to the center of the room. “How did you get those?”

“Oh, it was simple. The first,” Mala pointed to the pink on her thumb, “I won in battle with it’s owner.”

Tempest’s eyes widened.

“Of course the little braggart ran off before I could finish her off. Then this one led me to the others, all of whom should have been killed had it not been for some freak act of luck saving them.” Mala coiled her neck towards Tempest. “But yours was the most interesting to get. It was still on your cold hand when you were in that cave.”

Tempest panicked. She took it from me while I was in the cocoon!

“It was so easy to get compared to the others. Something powerful kept you in there. It let me take it from you. The ring was keeping you alive. And yet... when I tried to kill you after I took it off, the darkness attacked me. Not that it matters now, because here you are, ready to have me finish the job.”

Mala summoned her magic, it was a red energy, but it seemed to drip like blood. She threw a blast at Tempest, whose shields protected her. Tempest then caused the sheets of red fabric to wrap around Mala, covering her from head to toe, squeezing her tighter and tighter.

Tempest enchanted her voice, so that Mala could hear her through the silk. “You reprehensible violation of life. I came on this damned quest for one reason. To find my ring. To see it on your bony finger, along with the others... More so than ever do you deserve to die!”

Tempest felt the power of one of the rings as she heard Mala’s voice in her head, pain surging in her mind as Mala forced through her mental barriers with the ring. “Better foes than you have tried. Perhaps we should leave my palace in tact.”

Tempest felt her mind being pulled from her body, in a rush of pain, Tempest next found herself on the Astral Plane. Across from her, Mala, her left hand glowing pink from the ring.

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Zerox
High Orbit

Power Boy beat the last zombie monstrosity to pieces with a torn off tentacle from the large zombie starfish.

‘ARCCHHHHHHH!!!’ He felt in his mind. He felt nauseous.

“Tempest?” He said to himself. She was in agony, and the light telepathic link he kept to monitor his colleagues on the planet projected her pain.

As the tentacle hung in his hand dripping gore from the zombie lion he had thrashed, Power Boy thought, ‘This is why I’m here floating in space, this moment, to fly to the rescue in case the plan went tits up.’

‘But … Orando ... Naltor … covered with ghouls?’

His long range vision confirming this as he scanned the surfaces of Ornado, and then Naltor. The scenes were disgusting. Ghouls were everywhere. The people of Orando and Naltor were nowhere he could see.

He spared a glance down at the planet Zerox … wondering what torments his colleagues were going though.

He couldn’t leave them, but he also couldn’t leave Orando and Naltor, the ghoul armies there must be preparing to invade the United Planets. If left unchecked they would slaughter thousands … if not more. Not to mention the people of those planets. What horrors must those people be undergoing? Were they all dead?

His colleagues would have to be enough to deal with the despots of Zerox, there was no one else to stop the hordes on Orando and Naltor.

He looked one more time at Zerox, Tempest’s pain fresh in his mind. Cobalt Kid, Juj, Ameratsu, Lard Lad, and Tempest would have to be enough.

Tempest was a ruthless warrior, she would understand. Or so he told himself.

And he flew off through space for Naltor, he would decimate the ghouls there first just in case they were taking advantage of the resident precogs, and then he would finish the ghouls on Orando.

… he could do it fast, fast enough to return and help his friends on Zerox. Sure he could, he was Power Boy.

He flew faster than he ever had before.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Astral Plane

Mala cackled and it echoed through the atmosphere.

“Isn’t this rich! You’ve come here to kill me, and I’m going to destroy you with your own weapons.”

“Why don’t you take off those rings and see how well you do against me?”

“A sorceress always has her tricks and tools, don’t treat me like a fool.”

Mala than hurled a blast from the ring at Tempest. Tempest ran and hid behind what appear to be a boulder.

Mala laughed, “You can’t win. You can only make this fun for me!”

Mala disintegrated the boulder, Tempest looked at her, sending psychic waves at Mala. Mala erected a shield that protected her.

Mala grinned, “That’s right, little mouse.”

Tempest created walls between the two of them. She’s too strong. Especially with that ring. Have to think, I have to keep her off balance long enough to---

Mala blasted straight through the walls and directly into Tempest. Mala pounce on top of her, knocking her down. Mala took her left hand and began to choke Tempest, covering her face with a pink energy sphere. Tempest screamed, she felt her astral form began to deteriorate, it wouldn’t be long before she was nothing more than an empty husk. Just like before, just like those seven long years when her body lied still and did nothing. That would not happen again. Tempest reached her hands up to Mala’s throat and yelled in her face. A wave of energy came from her and knocked both of their astral forms out of the Astral Plane and back to Zerox.

Tempest awoke in her body, she looked and saw Mala hanging in her coat of red fabric. Tempest tried to gain control over the fabric again, but before she could they were shredded to pieces as Mala fell from them.

Mala, tired, looked at Tempest, “KILL HER!”

--------------------

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Zerox

Four women and two men dressed in red and gold came in carrying swords. Tempest looked at Mala in disgust that she would send her slaves to finish her off. Two of women and the two men charged at Tempest, she raised her right hand up and they levitated to the ceiling so hard they were knocked unconscious, not that their bodies plummeted down as Tempest mystically glued them to the wall. The other two women dashed towards her from opposite sides, their blades hit her shields. Two mystic bolts of lightning shot from Tempest and shocked the women, when they dashed towards her again, Tempest was engulfed by a white light and was gone, the two women stabbed each other in the abdomen.

Tempest reappeared behind Mala.

“You preyed on me. You came to my comatose body and robbed me. You took the very thing that kept me alive for so long in that wretched hole. Then you tried to kill me. You bastardized those rings to your will, keeping you from my sight.

I was so pathetic to you. So weak. This is my only lesson for you, Mala. Tempest is NOT WEAK!”

Tempest’s eyes glowed white with her magic, she raised her hands above her head and released a wave of pure force, the entire infrastructure of the building cracks from the power. She lowered her hands down to blast Mala, but Mala lifted her left hand, all the rings a glow and blasted back. The roof crumbled, the ground quaked, the elements roared! The blasts combined and shot both women back across the room.

Mala was the first to stand. “Thought you had me? And yet, it will be your own little trinkets that do you in.”

Tempest rose to her feet. “You bitch.”

Mala laughed at the insult as the two began again, eldritch fire, mystic shields, psychic assaults, red blood energy against streams of white magic. The building falling to rubble, the four slaves still suspended in air! The women would get close, punching and kicking, then distance themselves for each blast and defensive spell. Mala kept firing blood-like blasts at Tempest, getting closer and closer.

“You won’t win!” Shrieked Mala. “If my magic won’t kill you, these rings will!”

Mala was getting closer and not letting up, Tempest was loosing ground. But had one more precious treasure on her that every good sorceress carries and now was the time to use it. As Mala got closer, Tempest removed her shields, pulled her silver dagger from her cloak and swiped it through Mala’s left wrist, sending her entire hand sailing through the air. Mala screamed and Tempest stabbed in her chest, puncturing her right lung. Tempest free left hand swirled with magic as she blast Mala. But, Mala’s shields kept up. She instead blasted Tempest and sent her stumbling back. Tempest got to her knees, thrust her right hand forward, yelled a mystic word and Mala’s head was set on white flame. Mala screamed, but extinguished the flame, her face horribly disfigured, she used her right hand, released a blast, Tempest met it, red and white light was all that could be seen.

When the light was clear, the four servants had fallen down to the floor, Tempest was unconscious and Mala stood panting. The four servants looked to their mistress and turned to run. But, Mala lifted her hand and their skin, then insides and finally bones flew towards Mala and clung to her as they repaired her broken body. Mala grinned, she saw Tempest’s dagger, picked it up and crept toward her.

“You put up a great fight, little harlot. I'll give you that. But I am a servant OF THE DARK LORD!!! With all I have at my disposal, you could never defeat me!”

She drew closer and raised the knife. Then, behind her, a green light flashed. Mala turned around and saw her. Tall, beautiful, with pointed ears, pale blue skin and dark earth colored hair, dressed in elegant blue robes. Her ice blue eyes pierced Mala as she looked at her. Mala shot a magic blast at her, the woman’s green magic shield protected her. The woman pointed at the dagger and it flew from Mala’s hand. Then the woman spoke.

“Haven’t you killed enough daughter’s in one lifetime?”

The woman put left hand on Mala’s left shoulder. Mala’s face grimaced in pain at the touch. The woman tossed Mala onto the last bit of rubble standing, landing with a earsplitting splat as many of her bones broke. The woman turned her back to Mala and walked away, bent down and pickup Mala’s served hand, then turned and walked toward Tempest. Mala, peeled herself off the building, screamed and sent a magic attack at the woman, who merely pointed at Mala, release a straight beam of green power that once connected, eradicated Mala’s body. Mala was finally no more.

The woman walked to Tempest, clutching the hand in her left hand and reaching for Tempest with her right. Her body begins to glow.

“No, milord! Not yet! DAMN!!!”

She throws her right hand above her, sending green flare into the sky with a mental message to the other LMBPers with the sound of Tempest’s voice.

HELP!

The woman faded away.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Naltor:
High Orbit

Power Boy floated high in the atmosphere of Naltor. His eyes flashed red up in the firmament. Down below, ghouls were incinerated by the dozens, by the hundreds. He combined super speed with energy vision. Ultra fast blinks targeting ghouls miles below, bursting enemies into flames by the nano-second. He hurried, like an obsessed adolescent playing a game. If he could sweat, there would be buckets.

After several minutes, several long minutes as he worried that every second was time his colleagues could be dying on Zerox, grey ghouls appeared in the space near Naltor.

They flew up toward the god reigning destructing down on them.

The strongest ghouls of Naltor flew up into space, to attack Power Boy.

He said mere words “Mother Box” … and a Boom Tube opened … teleporting these ghouls capable of space flight into the sun of the Epsilon Sector. That was that.

“Ghouls on Naltor at 95% of original capacity” The Mother Box chirped from his arm.

“That will do.” Power Boy replied, and said “Orando.”

A Boom Tube opened in the starry night of space, teleporting Power Boy to Orando.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orando:
High Orbit

The ghouls of Orando were ready for Power Boy.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Orando:
The Surface

The ghouls piled onto Power Boy. His struggling form disappeared under dozens of grey zombies pushed him down.

For long minutes it was quiet, it appeared he had succumbed, stopped struggling.

The Epsilon Sector was filled with magic, it interfearred with his ability to absorb and store cosmic energies. Everything in the Epsilon Sector, especially on the planets was poisoned with magic.

The mound of zombies covering Power Boy was quiet. Underneath, everything had gone dark for Power Boy. They were ready for him, they must have some sort of communication or awareness of the ghouls on Naltor. They seemed endless. He destroyed dozens if not a hundred before they began piling on him.

“Power levels at 33%” The familiar chirp of the Mother Box technology said from his arm. Even that sounded muffled.

Power Boy laughed despite the masses of zombie ghouls piled on top of him. The closest ones were biting and clawing trying to get at him. ‘Today is a good day to die’ he thought.

And then …

HELP!

It was as much a command as a cry for help. It was imperative. Something powerful called out across the cosmos.

“RRRRAHHHHHRHHHHRRR!!!” Power Boy roared from beneath a mound of zombies!

White hot light burst from all of his orifices! Energy from his mouth and eyes incinerated all the ghouls on him in a brilliant display.

He had rarely used his powers this way, it consumed a lot of energy, to use the cosmic energy his cells absorbed and emit it in it’s pure form. It was much more economical to use the power of the stars to fuel effects like super speed or strength.

He could barely hear the Mother Box announce “Power levels at 29%, 27%, 26% ..” in a deadly countdown. What would happen if he ran out of energy? Would he die, sleep, vanish?

He roared on “RAOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!” White hot flame from his mouth and eyes swept over the surface of Orando, like the breath of some ancient dragon.

Ghouls, Zombies, and buildings were incinerated as if they had never been.

The display was staggering, easily seen from space …

and then it stopped, like a light being switched off.

The ghouls of Orando were no more, and a smaller, thinner Power Boy stood on wobbly knees, mouth dry.

“Zerox.” He croaked

A boom tube opened (even that seemed to flicker) … and a diminished Power Boy stumbled through the portal to Zerox.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
United Planets Space, somewhere between Daroon and Daxam

A massive Daxamite medical ship transporting thousands of critically-injured patients from Daroon travelled toward Daxam. It was flanked by several dozen Daxamites who were ready to defend the ship from any potential enemy attacks.

It had been a surprisingly quiet journey. Word had reached throughout the U.P. that the insect hoardes of the Hive had inexplicably withdrawn their forces. Combined with the early defeat of the Dominion, the switching of sides of the Hrykosians and the downfall of the Emperor Pyngwyn, there seemed ample reason to believe the tide of the war had turned. But among the higher ranks came word of a greater, more powerful force that had been held in reserve by the Dark Lord all this time. This and all that had come before were feared to merely be the calm before the full terror of the storm.

Serj Ontonik, Space Knight Templar, sat in one of the ship's communication hubs. He was talking with the head of the Lard Knights, "Guru of Lard" Dom Deluise XXVII.

"You were right to leave our ranks, Serj," said Dom. "Like Lard Lad, you had the wisdom and courage to defy the isolatist views of the Lard Council."

"I'm sorry to report, Master, that only four of the dozen Lard Knights you sent to Daroon survive," Serj said somberly. "They fought valiantly."

Dom bowed his head for a moment. "As any Knight should. The fallen will always have a place of honor."

"Master..." Serj started hesitantly.

"You ask for more," Dom finished for him.

"Yes, Master. The enemy plans to sack Weber's World. If it falls, the United Planets will follow."

"Relax, young Knight. The Council has taken their blinders off and committed our entire force of Lard Knights to the war effort. We are bound for Weber's World before the day is out."

"It will be an honor to fight beside you, my Master."

Dom smiled. "The honor is mine, Lard Knight Ontronik. I will see you soon. Dom out."

Serj grinned as the image of his Master faded out. As much as he loved being a Space Knight Templar, his heart had ached for his brethren in the Order of Lard Knights. It would be great to fight again as one of them at long last.

He then checked his messages for any update on Helen Taylor. She was in intensive care after undergoing an emergency procedure in an effort to save her life. Serj wanted so desperately for her to survive and felt tremendous guilt.

Serj felt this guilt not only because he had not been there to defend Helen when she was attacked but also because he and her had shared a moment before the final Hive attack. A kiss. And a very passionate one at that. The two had spent much time together between the conflicts at Daroon and had grown very close. In that last moment they had together, they realized they had fallen in love.

The moral quandary in all of this was that Helen was the mother of Lard Lad's children. Anthony was one of Serj's great friends and would undoubtedly feel betrayed by this, even though Helen and Anthony had not been together in a long time. Serj hoped his worrying would not be a moot point and that Helen would pull through.

Just then, Serj realized it would be a good idea to check on the kids, Helena and Hugh, who were healthy and being cared for along with many other children whose parents were injured. They had insisted on staying with their mother even though the Daroon royal family wanted them to stay. The ship was approaching Nullport within six Terran hours. At that point he would have to part from the Daxamite ship and rendezvous with U.P. forces heading for Weber's World. Very little time to say goodbye to the kids, Helen and.....

Serj heard loud footfalls behind him and spun around to see the other person he was thinking of: "Lumber Fox?"

The hulking, barely recognizable figure managed a smile, even as half of his face was now metallic. "More appropriate to call me LumBORG Fox, now, eh?" And the man roared a tinny robotic laugh.

Serj looked his friend and former LMBer over. Foxy's lower legs were now robotic prostheses as were his left arm, tail and half of his head.

"Worst scrap I ever been in, but ya can't keep a good Fox down! The docs couldn't save my parts or replicate 'em, but they did the best they could. I'm comin' with ya to Weber's World!"

"Are you sure, my friend?"

"I'll kick yer ass if ya try to stop me!"

Serj smiled and put his arm on Foxy's shoulder. "I wouldn't dream of it, friend. I'll see you on the transport!"

Hours later, after Serj had seen the kids and gathered all his belongings, he saved visiting Helen for last. He entered her ward and knelt by her bedside.

"Oh, my love", he said, "I don't wish to leave you, but I can't sit by while all that exists is at risk. I only hope I'll some day see your smile again."

A long moment passed as he knelt with her hand against his forehead.

Then, the hand began to twitch.

"...Serj?" Helen said weakly.

Two hours later, Serj and LumBORG Fox set off from Nullport in a U.P. carrier.

"What are ya grinnin' about?" Foxy asked of his friend.

"Helen's going to make it, my friend. Whatever happens, I'll be at peace knowing that...and knowing she loves me."

Foxy laughed and gave Serj a hard pat on the back as the two prepared for the battle for all existence that was to come.

[ June 10, 2012, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Dark Oval Space

“GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!” screamed the Emissary. There was nobody to hear him of course, and nobody could have in the deep darkness of space. But scream he did anyway while clutching his hands to the sides of his head.

Calm yourself… a voice echoed in his head.

What do you want from me? He thought. Hoping the voice in his mind would hear him.

I want you to continue to do what you are planning…but I have something special to help you.

The Emissary felt a chill, which was weird for him. He hadn’t really felt cold or heat much since arriving in this universe. Something about it made him even more powerfull than the confines on his own reality.

He turned and saw hundreds of ghouls moving towards him.

They are your to command. Have yourself a grand time. The omly thing I ask in return is that you kill everyone aboard…

The Emissary smiled and turned toward where the ship was moving somewhere directionally below him.

He once more looked backwards and felt revulsion at the ghouls as they all but tore at each other waiting for his command.

He shot a mental image of Hrun, C.J. Taylor and Dev Em to the ghouls. The rest of them are yours…these three are mine.

With that, he began moving towards his prey…hundreds of ghouls of all shapes and sizes swarming behind him.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lolita
His Girl Friday

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lolita           Edit/Delete Post     
The Border of the Dark Oval and the United Planets

“I wonder if we knew about this way in and out of the Dark Oval, if it would have changed our plans,” said Shark Lad, gazing out at the stars.

“It wouldn’t have,” replied Lolita, though her voice was a thousand miles away. “He was intent on destroying the Dominion first and foremost.” He meant Cobie, and Shark Lad knew it. For some reason her assuming that annoyed him.

“What has you so distracted?” he asked. Despite being through hell and back—a few times now—Shark Lad was in a pretty good mood. First, there was the Earth-4 Shark Lad with them and the two hit it off better than just about any two ‘inter-world twins’ had before. And second, they had been to hell and made it back. He felt the momentum on their side.

“Timberwolf,” said Lolita finally.

Now Shark Lad was curious. “Furball?” he said with a half, ribbing his kinsman even when he wasn’t there.

“More than just the master assassin,” said a voice, as Zhiya entered Lolita’s chambers.

“Could have knocked…” said Shark Lad under his breath, considering if Zhiya entered while they were in the middle of something.

“Zhiya…” said Lolita, turning to say hello, “I take it you haven’t been able to stop thinking about it either?”

“No,” said the petite blind woman.

Hours earlier, word had begun to spread around the larger company—who by extension, was continuing to call itself the Losers. Timberwolf had gotten the call from Ambassador Mirenna Helene with orders to assassinate Belisarius. He had declined. And following that, he made no effort to hide this fact getting out among the rest of them. Timberwolf and Kalla Hykros were adamant about changing their lives. She respected them for it. But it put the in a quandary.

The Ambassador immediately after contacted Lolita. It startled her to know that her communicator could even pick up UP signals again, after the work of the General Elite Militia put an end to the information blockade around the Oval. What did she expect me to do? thought Lolita. But the Ambassador expected something. They had met dozens of times when Lolita was with Cobalt, but the Ambassador never had more than two words to hear to say to her, as if she was beneath her notice. Maybe she’s jealous joked Cobie to her about the infamously implied relationship but Lolita did not believe that. Her conversation with Lolita was short and to the point: “The United Planets is in great peril; if Weber’s World is lost, all hope is lost with it. We need the UP military.”How did that fall to her? She wasn’t Cobalt Kid. She did not order assassinations.

“It still will not be enough,” said Zhiya, breaking the silence.

“What won’t be?” said Shark Lad.

“Us,” she said. Rockhopper Lad was pushing their ever-growing company to give them the support they needed. It included two key allies: large portions of the General Elite Militia and large portions of the Hyrkosian army. But by all reports, the army being amassed to take Weber’s World was the largest in the history of the galaxies.

“We’ve been in worse spots,” said Shark Lad. But even the rugged hero did not sound convinced. This might be the worst spot they’d ever been in.

“No, it won’t be enough,” said Lolita at last. “It’s certainly not worth betting everyone’s life on it. No…Belisarius needs to be stopped. And the UP military needs to play its part.” She considered when she last saw Belisarius and he could not stop looking at her legs and micro-skirt. She found him to be an overgrown boy at that moment. Hard to imagine that man now controlled the fate of everything.

“I will do it, then,” said Zhiya. “It needs to be done, and if Timberwolf will not, then no one else other than I has the skills to get the job done.”

A silence overtook them. Shark Lad nodded and put his hand on her arm out of respect.

“Then I’m coming with you,” said Lolita, catching them both by surprise.

From: Right by Cobie's Side | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Weber's World
The Senate Hall

On another day, Blaze would have marveled at the wide array of beings all around him. There was more diversity here than any he’d seen on Earth – besides the “normal” skin colors, he saw humans with green, blue, orange, purple skin tones, and even some with stripes or polka dots! Besides that were the more alien ones – large bugs with glowing green eyes, fishlike aliens whose voices echoed in his brain and not his head, hissing catlike figures that stalked with serene grace, winged creatures of all shapes and sizes, and more he could not describe. Even the human-looking ones were clearly not – one woman beside him was levitating, and another suddenly split into three different bodies.

His eyes met that of a handsome blonde man whom he guessed was about his age. He was wearing a uniform which clung to his form quite well and made Blaze want to see more. The blonde smiled back, flashing brilliant white teeth. Blaze allowed himself to return the smile - it was just a smile.

Another day, he might have chatted the blonde up. After all, he and IB were open to adding a third - a very hot third, they had high standards - to their "sessions". But he didn’t much feel like gawking or flirting now – the LMB had just unveiled their battle plan to the assembled UP council… and it was not going well. Sentients all around were muttering angrily, and there was a flurry of activity. Another man beside him suddenly shrank out of sight, and there was a general movement towards the door.

Blaze gave a start as the blonde he’d been eyeing suddenly turned and walked right through him!

“I’ve had that happen to me before, and I’m still not used to it!” came a chuckle.

Blaze gave a start as he looked around. There was nobody beside him. Was IB playing a prank on him?

“Oh, I’m sorry. Didn’t realize you might not know all our powers yet. I’m Vee, and I’m using my powers to “grow” the sound waves from me so they’ll reach you.”

Blaze turned to see Vee, whom he recognized, waving at him from afar. Wow, he thought, they’re all so skilled at using their powers..

Vee spoke again. “We’ve decided not to spread out to maintain security anymore. Given their reactions, we feel we need to have everyone gathered. The Daxamites can handle security around the area. Would you come over here and join us?”

Blaze nodded and signaled his agreement. As he made his way to his new friends, his heart began pounding. What had they all gotten themselves into?

“I’ve checked the doors. They’re all locked,” Beagle Boy reported as he sped back into the LMBers’ waiting area. It was a small room just beside the podium where they were speaking.

Kent Shakespeare opened his mouth to reply, but held off as the Prime Minister’s voice came over the speakers. “We request all ambassadors to remain in the hall for security reasons. Given the recent attempts on the lives of some of our number, we cannot say that there are no Dark Oval agents outside of this chamber.”

As she stopped, Kent turned to Saturn Girl and Pov. “How goes the thought-screen?” Saturn Girl opened her eyes for a moment. “All is well, and we are detecting minimal resistance. All from inside the chamber, so we know nobody is trying to listen in.” She closed her eyes again. It was a strain, but they needed Princess Crujectra out front with the others.

“I’m monitoring them. They shall be able to handle it,” Kid Prime added. “On my end, I have modified some tools lent by Reboot to create a firewall around the area.”

“I haven’t seen anything suspicious,” Kid Vudoo added, “although I will continue scanning the area.”

“Ring bubble’s tight, too,” Abin Quank replied. “And I remembered to keep it invisible this time!”

“And the Daxamites are keeping the area covered,” Kent mused. “That leaves Dedman.”

A portal opened at that, and Dedman peeked through. “I am here, watching from the Poltergeist Area. If any of the departed try anything, I shall stop them.”

Kent nodded. They were doing their part; now to
leave their allies to do theirs.

[ June 24, 2012, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Weber's World
The Senate Hall

"Madame Prime Minister, I must protest!" The normally cool and calm ambassador from Colu was actually perspiring. Passions were running high, fueled by fear and uncertainty. "Are you telling us that the great strategy of the LMB involves us using ourselves as one big target?"

The LMB had tried to explain its plan in stages, but hadn't anticipated that the anxiety in the room would cut them off after the first stage of their plan - though Weber's World had been spared from battle, many surrounding worlds had not. The LMB would send squads led by Kar-Em, Space Ranger and the newly-powered up Invisible Brainiac to scour these worlds clean of the Dark forces. They would make sure to mention that Weber's World was preparing some sort of secret weapon that would end the war cleanly, ensuring that Weber's World would be the target of the amassing Dark Army.

There was another round of angry buzzing, though it silenced at once when the Prime Minister spoke. Well, there remained some whispers, but that was understandable.

"I have not had the chance to review this plan carefully, but I urge the Senate to allow the LMB to answer our queries in order to fully evaluate their proposal. There may be an explanation for their admittedly bold move."

This was misleading, and the LMBers knew it. The Prime Minister had not only been informed of the plan, but had contributed input to it. Yet part of their agreement had been that they obscure her involvement - it would benefit the LMB, as the ambassadors would not believe they were acting as the Prime Minister's pawns, and it would give her room to maneuver as well. And it was true that she had not truly reviewed the final plan. She knew better than to give an outright lie.

Invisible Brainiac turned to look at the others beside him. Nightcrawler, Princess Crujectra, Kar-Em and Petty Officer Marvin. Thankfully, the Princess was a well-known LMBer and could freely speak without worrying about political appearances.

"Our proposal is to make us a target, in the sense that we want to draw the Dark Army's attention to ourselves. We have already confirmed from multiple sources that they are amassing. If they strike at multiple targets, we have no chance of defending against them, especially with the UP Militia currently unavailable. As of now, it is taking us too much time and too many resources to shuttle our forces from world to world."

Kar-Em spoke up next, though the set of his jaw indicated he was still continuously scanning for danger. "Since they are going to attack anyway, we feel it is sound strategy to control the battlefield by encouraging them all to pursue the same target - Weber's World. We can marshal whatever forces we have to defend ourselves here."

"And who is to say that we can withstand such a force?" growled the Ambassador from Braal.

"Even if their forces are scattered, and we defeat the first army they send to us, their other forces will soon consolidate and attack us anyway. By drawing them to us first, we can deal with them together."

The ambassador from Alpeh leaned forward. "And how do you propose to actually defeat them, if as you say the UP Militia is unavailable? What forces do we actually have here - a few dozen members of the LMBP, forces led by yourself, a few Lard Knight volunteers... Would it not be wiser to wait for us to regain control of the UP Militia?"

Petty Officer Marvin stepped forward. "If I may, I have proof that the Dark Oval is able to somehow send their forces great distances in a short amount of time. Whether it is via teleportation or hyper-speed travel I do not know, but they have a way."

The screen above the podium flashed to dark planet. Dark not because it was covered all in shadow. Dark because it was unmistakably the homeworld of the Brood. Their fierce race was feared across the galaxy - not just for their prowess in battle, but because they implanted their foes with Brood eggs which would hatch and consume the host. An unlucky sentient could harbor an egg without knowing.

The recording showed what seemed to be a public celebration, with what seemed to be an address by the Brood Queen. Things appeared to be peaceful.

Suddenly, out of seemingly nowhere, a large force appeared in the skies above. This force consisted of ships, yes, but also included ghouls and monsters of various sizes. The ghouls proceeded to attack and rip apart all armed resistance.

But that was not the fate of the unarmed. They were treated to something far more frightening - the large, black, inky shadow which seemed to absorb life itself.

The screen went black for a second, then shifted to show Marvin, Disaster Boy and Invisible Brainiac standing grimly over the remains of the Brood city. There were many who were obvious victims of violence - but there were also many of the Brood who looked like they had died peacefully in their sleep. Then the video ended.

Marvin spoke again. "As you know, the Brood military was highly feared and equipped with technology capable of sensing any movement around its territory. For this force to be able to take the Brood by surprise, they must have had some means of either evading that technology... or of teleporting."

The representative from Silvan spoke up. "What was that black cloud?" Marvin briefly explained how it somehow lulled absorbed its victims into a deep sleep and ate away at them. Very few sentients had managed to survive.

"And how did you obtain this recording? The only persons who appear in it are you, this "Disaster Boy" whom we all know was possessed by the Dark Lord, and Invisible Brainiac - a young prankster and untested LMBer," spat the representative from Talok VIII.

Invisible Brainiac rolled his eyes. He was hoping things would not degenerate to a question of character. "Despite my relatively young age, I am a full-fledged member of the LMB. You should know by now that I was in Dark Oval space at the time, and have managed to return. I brought news that the Hive would no longer be a threat. I have seen the horrors perpetrated by the Dark Oval by my own eyes, and would not consider this a joking matter for our very survival is at stake." He paused to let his words take effect, then continued before the ambassadors had a chance to ask about his possible involvement in bringing down the Dominion. Many were still incensed at the LMBers initiative in this regard. "If you need further proof, all three of us have submitted to mind scans and medical examinations. We can prove that we were not telepathically influenced, nor were we drugged, from a few days before this recording was taken up to the present. As for Marvin..."

Marvin spoke. "I used to look like this." The screen flashed again, and the audience gasped. "I was born a Brood soldier. Yet although I always loved my people, I know right from wrong. And in our past conflicts, they were clearly wrong, and the LMB was clearly right. And before you suspect me of anything, I’d like to point out that if I were up to something, I would not have revealed this to you."

Silence, and then the representative from Naltor spoke up. "I have not been able to contact my world in some time. Could they have fallen prey to those forces as well?"

IB was sober. "I do not know. We have not yet been able to contact our allies in that part of space. I do promise you, and the representatives of Orando and Zerox, that we shall relay word as soon as we get it."

"And how would we defeat that force if it attacked Weber's World en masse? By all reports, what we face would be much larger than that," said the ambassador from Imsk. Although their world had threatened to leave the UP, it seemed there was a split among the Imskites themselves.

Princess Crujectra spoke now. "We have received word from our LMBers who liberated Earth-4. They are en route, as well as large portions of the General Elite Militia and the Hyrkosian Army. These allies have suffered under the Dark Oval as well, and are prepared to fight by our side to put an end to their tyranny. Invisible Brainiac's light powers were also able to defeat the black shadow that we saw in this video. We believe that with our current forces and the reinforcements headed our way, we can win. We just need to hold out until they arrive. Also, we have a plan to limit the size of the Dark forces."

"We have the Thanagarian Angdar Fel as our ally now," IB added. "With his knowledge of nth metal added to the expertise of the LMB, we believe we can identify the method the Dark Army uses to arrive. We believe it isn't hyperspeed, but rather some form of teleportation similar to a Boom Tube. One of the foes we encountered, Titus, was revealed to be of a race of ancient gods who had this technology. Unfortunately, we cannot begin to search for it until the enemy uses it again - hence our plan to draw them here. The nearer said boom tube is to us, the easier it will be for us to find it and hopefully take control of it - or destroy it if need be."

There was a large clamor once more in the hall. Several ambassadors stood up at once, several shouting.

"You would gamble our lives on this?"

"Let us take control of the militia!"

"We demand you force all nearby worlds to send their armies here!"

Prime Minister Maya adi Lva waved her hand yet again. "Please, ambassadors! You know that we cannot leave these worlds undefended, as several are still fighting remnants of the Dark forces that have attacked them! Even after we defeat said forces, their armies and resources would be too depleted to send any additional aid our way."

The ambassador of Aldebain III now spoke up. The audience quieted now, regarding him with interest - he was not a supporter of the LMB by any stretch of that definition, but he was a respected statesman with an impressive track record. Whenever he did agree with the LMB, everyone was convinced that it was the right course of action to take. "How sure are you LMBers that your plan will work?"

Princess Crujectra made as if to reply, but IB stepped forward.

"If power is the question, we have more than enough here - A godlike elemental. Some of the most powerful telepaths in the galaxy. At least 2 Daxamites. A man with a Green Lantern ring. A mysterious ghost with powers I don’t even understand. Nearly all of the Legion World founders. And more than a dozen other LMBers with various abilities, all of whom I’d trust to watch my back in combat against even the Dark Lord himself."

"If you question our dedication to defend Weber's World and defeat the evil Dark Army, we have the heart, passion and spirit to do so. What, you think we joined the LMB for the perks? Perhaps some of us do make the news for our fun-loving ways, but every single one truly believes in what we do. Lance nearly lost an arm saving 331 school children. Beagle Boy nearly drowned saving sentient's during Winath’s Hurricane Winema. Disaster Boy had his mind violated when he tried to liberate his home - yet you see him standing here before you, ready to fight again. Marvin defected from his home because he believed in our ideals. And you all know what happened to Lumber Fox when he fought too."

IB took a step forward at this. His voice trembled, not with fear, but with conviction and passion. All murmurs in the audience had died down.

"Yet none of us have rolled over and given up. We’re all still here. All still ready to fight, knowing that to any other force this would be a gamble. That we have predicted our enemy's actions correctly. That our allies will arrive in time. That we can identify their strategy and have the resources and strength to counter it. It's a gamble, but we are risking our own lives as well - and if it fails, we will be the first to fall, since we will be in the front lines. But we trust each other to do our parts and make our strategy bear fruit. We know we can win, even though we may suffer massive losses along the way. Now, if your question is why we would still risk ourselves when we could easily save ourselves with all our power? When we could save our own home, Legion World, and to hell with everyone else?"

"Because it is the right thing to do."

The Senate Hall was quiet now. The Ambassador of Aldebain III bowed slightly. He had hardly ever done that to an LMBer before. "I would have called you lad, but you have clearly experienced much more than most adults. Thank you."

"No, thank you, sir, for giving us a chance to speak," IB continued before anyone else could. He turned to the rest of the Senate. "I believe you all became politicians because you wanted to serve your people. Now is your chance. Should our plan succeed, you will all go down in history as having been part of the effort to end the Dark Oval once and for all. And should we fail - you will still be remembered as the beings who took a last stand for good and for freedom."

He lowered his voice now, and to all in the audience it seemed as if he was looking right at them - a function of his light powers. "But I promise you - we will not fail."

There was silence, then Prime Minister Maya adi Lva stood up once more. Even she looked like she had been caught up in the moment. "Let the assembly vote on this plan. All those in favor?"

Silence. IB could feel his heart pounding in his chest. Beside him, Kar-Em looked straight ahead, but his stance showed his anxiety.

Then, one by one, then in a huge wave, the ambassadors stood up. IB's breath caught as he scanned the room - each and every ambassador was standing. He and the Princess traded looks of disbelief. They had won!

The Prime Minister smiled and turned to them. "I believe we have the approval you need to proceed. What would you have us do?"

IB stood for a while, waiting for the Princess or Kar-Em to answer. He gave a start when she messaged him telepathically - "I believe it is your turn." He gave her a surprised look, which she returned with a motion to move forward. He took a deep breath. He still couldn't believe he had just addressed the UP Council like that. Already, his stomach was hurting.

"We need to ensure we’re as juicy a target as possible. We’d like to request all ambassadors and world leaders currently on-planet send messages home to their people to say they will stay here. We will announce that the UP Council will hold a monumental planning session, where a secret strategy will be discussed that can end this war. At the same time, the LMB will depart immediately to cleanse the nearby worlds. We will put on a show, so to speak, to convince the enemy that we mean business. Rest assured we've taken steps to make sure none of what we speak has exited this hall. Since we are agreed, Kid Prime will lift the firewalls around the hall in an hour so you can begin sending your messages."

There was a murmur of assent as the ambassadors began their work. IB and the others turned to join the LMBers in the room off the stage. As they opened the door, they saw everyone was grinning, high-fiving one another, and giving him thumbs-up signs.

All but Kid Vudoo, who was staring at space in shock.

"Are you okay?" Kent asked him. He appeared not to here.

Then he turned, slowly, and looked at them.

His next words chilled them all to the core.

"They're here."

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Three Days Before

Weber's World

Kar-Em and Space Ranger quickly confirmed Kid Vudoo's alarm. The Dark Army had appeared suddenly in space, about three days' travel from Weber's World. The fact that their approach had not been detected at all lent support to the theory that they had teleported.

The LMB and the UP forces moved like well-oiled machinery. It was confirmed that there was only one such force. A list of worlds in between their current position and Weber's World had been drawn up, and the LMB quickly dispatched forces there.

The Prime Minister prepared to give an address that would be beamed across the UP. It had been carefully written and planned. She faced it with true strength - she knew she was gambling her career and her life on the outcome of the battle, but she had calculated all possibilities and this still seemed the best course of action.

Besides, the last few days with the LMB had almost allowed her to believe in something again.

She began to speak, and her message went loud and clear across the galaxy.

Phlon

This medium-sized planet is in the galactic average for most things - population, size, and resources. What sets it apart is its great investment in chemistry, making it a vital link in the galactic supply chain.

"Dear Sentients of the United Planets. I bring news of the war with the Dark Oval. Our forces have confirmed that the main body of the Dark Army has appeared in UP Space. By all accounts, this army is larger than any that have been sent to our UP member worlds since the beginning of our war."

Space Ranger quickly punched the zombie giant that had picked up the transport full of survivors. As the squid reeled back, Mattropolis used his gravity powers to pull the ship away and lower it gently.

Space Ranger turned to address the crowd. "Sentiens of Phlon! I promise you that the UP and the LMB shall not let vermin such as this despoil your planet yet again! We are now formulating a plan which shall end this war once and for all. For justice has might on its end, and though the enemy be mighty, we shall find a way to prevail!"

Mattropolis, once the Legionnaire known as Danny Blaine, landed beside him. "Aren't you hamming it up a tad?"

Space Ranger looked confused. "Why, don't you think it gets my point across better?"

Mattropolis wisely decided not to comment any further, and instead lifted the other ship full of supplies donated by Phlon. "Um, I'll take this ship back to ours while you finish off that squid. See ya!"

Rann

Of the UP worlds, Rann is known as the most similar to Earth. It boasts a diverse geography and an even more diverse set of natives. Rann is one of the most tolerant planets in the UP system - a great feat in an era known for its embrace of diversity.

"Yet we must take heart and stand fast with our courage. Even now, the UP forces and the LMB have joined together to wipe clean the remaining Dark forces from the first wave of attack. And your UP Council has committed to support the war effort by remaining here on Weber's World as we work on a weapon that can end this war once and for all."

Saturn Girl pointed to what looked like a flat plain littered with debris. There was nothing in it. Lumborg Fox raised an eyebrow. "Trust me," came the telepathic reply.

Lumborg Fox shrugged and began to sprint at top speed, claws outstretched. "Punch now!" came Saturn Girl's telepathic cry.

He complied, and suddenly his fist connected with flesh. The surroundings faded and were replaced by the sight of a large ghoul that looked like a giant snake flying through the air.

Lumborg Fox turned to Saturn Girl, who smiled. "Told you."

"Never doubted you for a second," came the gleeful reply as the cyborg LMBer sprinted after the snake to finish what he had started.

Talok VIII

The 12 tribes of Talok VIII each contribute something different to their unified culture - one is a tribe of warriors, another of hunters, yet another of craftsmen. Because Talok VIII has only recently joined the United Planets, they do not as yet have a tribe solely devoted to exploring and traversing the spaceways.

"We understand that all your worlds have been touched by war in some measure. Yet we must ask your cooperation in this manner. If you have any resources to spare, any super-powered beings, any armed citizens, we urge you to make your way to Weber's World as soon as you have determined that your world is in no immediate danger from the Dark Army."

"Ugh, I haaaaaaate all this sand!" Abin Quank groaned as his ring formed a shield around him. He'd just come back from shuttling a particular awful ghoul - a living pile of black sludge - into the nearest star, and was helping salvage some starcruisers which had been buried in the desert sand.

"Why are we doing this again, Mister Tribal Chief, sir?" he turned to the chief beside him.

"Because we are pledged to aid the UP with our efforts. Although we are loathe to weaken our own world's defenses, we can send some of our own to aid you."

"Awesome!" Abin Quank grinned. "The gang will be happy to hear this!"

Deep Space

"Although doing so may weaken your worlds momentarily, we must stand together if we are to succeed. The Dark Oval has long been a thorn in our side, but their recent attempts at aggression cannot, and will not, go unchallenged!"

Rockhopper Lad looked at the screen. "We must hurry, Helena. We only have three days before the Dark Army arrives at Weber's World."

"We can make it. Our engineers think we can sustain our current speeds for that long."

"We must. I'll address our combined forces in half an hour."

As the screen popped out, Rockhopper Lass put an arm on her brother's shoulder. "We won't let the Dark Oval continue their depravities any more."

Rocky's voice was as determined as it had ever sounded. "No, we will not."

[ July 01, 2012, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Legion World

(this vignette takes place prior to the Battle of Legion World)

"We stand together, or fall individually. Let us raise the banner of the United Planets and all it represents - unity, cooperation, tolerance, and peace."

"I don't get it," Ram Boy mused. "Isn't Weber's World a big enough target without them gathering all this attention?"

"Weber's World IS a target," Fanfic Lady replied as she sipped her coffee, "but we have no guarantee it'll be the ONLY target. There are a lot of other populated worlds in that sector of space."

"The point is to make sure the Dark Army heads straight to Weber's World and ignores the other worlds. Besides Legion World, Weber's World is now the biggest threat," Lightning Lad added as he closed his eyes for a second.

"Hmm, wise," Red Arrow pondered. "Risky, but wise."

"The plans with the greatest rewards usually are," Question Lad replied matter-of-factly.

Bismoll

The natives of the planet Bismoll evolved the ability to ingest anything. As such, they have little need to consume normal "Earth" food - leading to some surprising uses for said food.

"Of the worlds of the Dark Oval, our allies have confirmed that Hrykosia, The Hive Homeworld, the Dominion and the Planet of the Black Sun are no longer threats. Only the Epsilon Sector and their as yet unknown seat of power remain."

"You know, I always did want to visit Bismoll," My Whee Fem muttered as she dodged a dark knight's blade. The blade embedded itself in a cheddar cheese sculpture just behind her. "You'd think now that I was on it, I'd get a chance to actually enjoy it?"

Her enemy turned around to charge her, then shook as if electrified. It collapsed, twitching, into a pile of hollowed out coconuts ready to be turned into buoys for the Bismollian sea. Behind it stood Knightress. "Perhaps we still can, if we are more careful," she replied calmly.

"Yeah, or if maybe our squad-mates help us out? Helloooooo, Sketch Lad?" My Whee called. "Heat got to you?" My Whee called as she slashed at the hamstrings of another dark knight's horse. "There's too many of them..."

Both heroes now stood back to back. They were surrounded by a dozen knights. "I suggest we wait for one of them to make the first move," Knightress whispered. "Then we try to exit from the space that one has opened up."

"Sounds like a plan. And if it fails... nice to have worked with you."

Before Knightress could reply, an ice cream truck appeared out of nowhere, barreling into the knights on her left and opening space for them to run. Knightress reacted quickly, downing the two knights closest to her. She swung up onto the riderless horse. My Whee quickly climbed on, and as Knightress rode, My Whee downed another two knights.

They galloped a short distance towards where Sketch Lad waited with a grin on his face, brush still wet. "That was your doing?" My Whee asked curiously.

"Mine and Lindsay Lohan's. And now," Sketch Lad said as he finished his next drawing, "meet Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse and Britney Spears."

Starhaven

Although Starhaven is a planet of beautiful terrain, its winged inhabitants will tell you that its greatest natural wonder is its sky and the jagged mountains that scrape it. Since its induction to the UP, Starhaven has set a portion of its airspace as a training ground for UP pilots.

"If you would like to volunteer, we are in need of soldiers, medics, engineers, scientists, navigators and super-powered agents. Contact your world's embassy on Weber's World if you would like to volunteer."

"Yaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo," Spelling Bee screamed as she flew through the moonlight sky on her mechanical bees. Beside her, Sara, who had taken the name Danger Damsel, piloted a small craft. Few of the LMBers had the skill to pilot any craft through the sloping mountains and deep valleys of Starhaven.

"Don't you think we should be quiet?" came Sara's voice over the comlink.

"Why? We are trying to find the bad guys, right?" Spelling Bee replied. "Why not make them come to us?"

"If we were invulnerable, maybe. But I'd rather not die today," Sara replied.

"Well, good point. H-O-V-E-R, bees." At her command, the bees stopped propelling themselves forward. "I still have to win my precious IB back! He's such a cutie, isn't he?"

"I'd rather not talk about him, thanks. As far as I'm concerned, you can have him as long as you promise to let me ask him a few questions. And... Don't you think having to spell your commands makes your reaction time too slow?"

Spelling Bee gave a little laugh. "S-P-A-R-K-L-E, little bees!" At that, each bee began shimmering in a different color. "I only made them this way so IB would notice me. He was always winning all the spelling bees back then. They can work even if I don't spell. Anyway, you should see this trick I have-"

Sara cut her off, not impolitely. "I'm detecting a signal down below. Three large creatures. Winged, probably dragons."

Spelling Bee grinned. "Bees, S-T-I-N-G! Shield formation!" Her smaller bees immediately zipped downwards, while she clung to her Queen Bee, which was about the size of an earth albatross. "Let's go!"

Sara closed her eyes in exasperation. She almost felt sorry for IB, being chased by this crazy cuckoo. Almost. She turned her craft sharply and zipped down. Three dragons were waiting in front of her. She quickly opened fire, downing one, then turned around to attack the next. As it turned on her, she swore to herself, "Not today, monster. I still have my answers to get."

Aleph

The Treasure Planet is known for being a storehouse of ancient temples and relics that are evidence of a glorious magical civilization. Its former inhabitants are thought to have largely moved to Zerox. However, the descendants and artifacts they left behind have been known to create the occasional metahuman.

"I am confident we can win this war, with all the resources at our disposal and the spirit and commitment of all our allies. We can, we must, and we will!"

"Your speech was really hot, baby. And you gave it in that sexy voice that always turns me on," Blaze said as he incinerated an arrow aimed at him.

"You mean this one?" IB grinned as he lowered his voice, making it even huskier than normal. "Watch your back, baby. I can't do all the watching for you."

"You won't have to," Marvin replied. "We've been working on some new combat maneuvers using my resistance to flame and my advanced healing. Ready, Blaze?"

"Ready as ever!"

"Okay, remember to wait until I'm in the midst of the enemy. And both of you, cover me while I get there." With that, Marvin took off. Blaze and IB stood side by side, their backs against a wall, blasting away on both sides of the battlefield, burning a swath through the enemy that Marvin could run between. Truth was, IB could normally power through them himself, but he needed to conserve his strength.

As Marvin reached the midst of the enemy, Blaze closed his eyes and concentrated. A ball of flame erupted right where Marvin was, creating a big hole in the enemy ranks.

"Whoa," IB exclaimed. "You set fire to the bomb Marvin was carrying, didn't you? That's great, I can't believe you have so much control now!"

Blaze panted and leaned forward, hands on his knees. "Yeah, it takes a lot out of me but we did take out a large number of the enemy," he smiled.

IB grinned. "You keep at it, and you'll be in the LMB in no time. Now, let's play clean-up..." He paused as a shadow loomed over them. A golem, thirty storeys tall, with six large arms and a wicked looking chest with spikes all over. "Oh, this'll be good. Be back soon," he said as he flew straight for its knees. "If I can topple it over..."

"Can I help?" came a voice beside him. He turned to see a flying redhead dressed in green, her long hair flowing out behind her. She glowed in a green aura, and he noted with some surprise that it encompassed a burned and blackened Marvin too. Marvin gave him a wink.

"I see you've already met my friend. And you are?" IB asked, trying hard not to look at the girl's skirt as it billowed in the wind. It was a very short skirt.

"I am the newest champion of Aleph. Like all my predecessors, I take the name Kinetix," she smiled. "And it's an honor to meet a big hero such as yourself."

"Oh, trust me, you haven't seen big yet," IB winked. "Like this guy, for instance. What can you do, and any ideas how to take him down?"

"First, let's duck," Kinetix replied as the golem swung at them. IB banked left, while Kinetix turned right, causing its blow to miss and hit the ground below. Kinetix's hand glowed, causing debris on the ground to form into shackles which she fixed around the golem's legs. "Now, push!"

IB complied, ramming a hard light beam into the golem's chest. Unable to regain its footing, it fell backwards into the ground with a mighty thud. IB rained lasers down on it, severing its arms, while Kinetix used her powers to rip open its chest.

From below, Blaze joined in - IB could see the golem's feet melting. In seconds, the golem was no more than a pile of scrap metal.

Kinetix and IB rejoined Blaze on the ground. "That was great," IB laughed as he held out both hands. "High fives all around!"

Blaze tilted his head as Kinetix returned IB's gesture. "And you are...?"

"Oh, sorry. Kinetix, meet Blaze. If you can bring things to life, he can make things real hot," IB said with a wink. "And I see you've met Marvin already. Guys, Kinetix is Aleph's planetary champion."

"And I want to join you. I hear you're gathering on Weber's World. Please, I want to fight too," Kinetix said determinedly. "Aleph is safe for now, but I do not want the Dark Oval to ruin my world again."

"Kinetix," IB said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Anyone who can do what you did, and with such expertise, is more than welcome to join us. What say you, guys?"

"Hey, she picked me up from the battlefield when I thought I'd have to dig my way out. She so has my vote," Marvin smiled.

"Fine," Blaze replied. IB eyed him worriedly. His hair had flared up again.

Marvin appeared not to notice. "Welcome to Weber's World, Kinetix," he said with the biggest smile IB had ever seen him flash. "You're in for one heck of a ride!"

[ July 01, 2012, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Zerox,
Epsilon Sector,
Dark Oval Space

High above the desolate wasteland that Zerox now was soared a great green dragon with two passengers riding bareback. The dragon's riders were LMBer Lard Lad and his Durlan ally Juj Rinold.

The two peered down from their vantage point and saw the planet below them was teeming with thousands, perhaps millions, of zombie-like ghouls. Flyers attempting to harm the trio were continuously dissuaded by the dragon's raging fire immolating them.

"Anything alive down there?" Juj asked his companion.

Lardy closed his eyes and reached out with his enhanced senses. He opened his eyes and shook his head. "Nothing, Juj. This planet has been drained dry of all its life. I can't sense anything alive here."

"Nothing?" Juj probed. "But what about--?"

"Don't even think it, Juj! Des and Temp are alive here somewhere, godamnit! Those bastards Romaltus and Mala must be fucking around with spells or something to fool my senses." He turned around and glared at Juj for emphasis. "They're NOT dead! They...they can't be..."

Juj hid the doubt he was feeling. "I'm sure they're alright, Lardy." He fiddled with his communicator for the upteenth time. "Can't hail anyone, though--not even Peebz...or Ameratsu at the ship...maybe I can--"

Juj's words were interrupted as both men heard a cry in their minds:

HELP!

"What the hell was that?" Juj cried in confusion.

"Temp!" Lardy exclaimed with unbridled relief. Somehow, Lardy knew exactly where Temp was at that moment. "Zee," Lardy said to their dragon friend, "that way!" And the great dragon knew exactly where he meant and veered off.

"'Zee'?" Juj said curiously.

Lardy shrugged and smiled. "Short for 'Zhornian', her species."

"Suits her!" Juj said with a grin.

Moments later, Zee and her passengers arrived at the ruins of Mala's palace. Lardy leapt off the dragon's back and rushed toward a figure that was spawled out on the floor.

"No, no, NOOOOOO!" Lardy yelled as his fears got the better of him. He arrived at her side in a blink and was relieved to see that Tempest was still breathing. "Thank the gods," he sighed.

A moment later, she awoke. She looked around, at first confused and then ready to strike.

"It's okay, Temp...it's Lardy."

She looked up at him and vaguely realized it was indeed Lardy. Then, she looked around. No Mala to be seen. Just a conspicuous pile of dust several feet away.

Temp had a feeling about that pile of dust. She lifted her hand in the pile's direction and muttered an incantation. "Mala's...no more," Temp whispered. Then, she wove another spell to ensure this wasn't a trick. A moment later, she was satisfied it wasn't.

"Did you kill her?" Lardy asked.

Temp, still dazed and in his arms, looked at the source of the question. Oh yeah...Lardy! she thought. Dunno, DID I kill her? Temp reached out with her spells and realized that a third party had intervened. She wasn't certain who had done so, but the signature was familiar...

"No, I didn't," Temp finally muttered. Then, she remembered something else and hastily stumbled to her feet. She lost her balance, and Lardy had to catch her.

"Easy," he said gently.

Her legs were shaking, as much from anger as from fatigue. My ring--it's gone! she thought as her mind raced. I came all this damned way through this godsforsaken kingdom! I was even inside a giant, rotting CORPSE for days on end, all for nothing! I oughtta--!

Before she could let loose her rage and live up to her name, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned, ready to strike whomever dared to interrupt her fury, only to see Lardy again, smiling.

"You're safe," he said.

Even though he had a false idea of why she was upset, Temp found herself smiling back. He was goofy. He was a flawed child like all men. He had little or no idea what she or any other woman was feeling. But damn if she wasn't happy to see his face again!

Lardy saw a look in her eyes that scared him. Was she about to deck him one?

The next instant, Temp grabbed Lardy's face and pulled it down toward her, then kissed him with a passion that had been building up for months. Lardy was shocked at first but quickly wrapped his arms around her and gave her as good as he'd got.

A few feet away, Juj grinned and blushed. Behind him, Zee snorted and grunted her disapproval.

The moment seemed to last forever, but Temp and Lardy finally paused and looked one another in the eyes. Their eyes were bewildered, excited and a little scared as they contemplated what this moment meant and what the future held for them.

Just then, all were shocked from their reveries by the deafening sound of a Boom Tube. Power Boy, barely recognizable, stumbled through the portal and was caught by Juj who'd morphed into a makeshift mattress just in time.

"Fuck, Peebz! You look like shit!" Lardy yelled as he went to Power Boy's side.

Peebz managed a wry grin. "Y-you sh-should see the oth-other guys..." Weakly, Peebz looked around and was pleased to note that Tempest was fine. The mental cry had lead him here as well.

"He'll be okay," Temp said after she made an incantation. "The magical nature of this Sector is blocking his ability to fully absorb the stellar energy he needs to recharge. He's still got more than enough to survive, but he won't be at peak power for awhile."

Juj interrupted, "I'm getting a signal from Cobie--he's alright!"

Lardy grinned, another huge weight now off his back. "You got his coordinates?"

"Sure do!"

"Then, let's go meet up in style!"

Moments later, after Lardy convinced his new dragon companion to allow Temp to climb aboard with him and the others, the great Zhornian Green dragon soared toward Cobalt's coordinates.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Sitting on top of a giant pile or rubble, Cobalt Kid stretched his legs and tried to get into a comfortable position. He was beyond exhausted. The wear and tear of the journey had beaten up his body in ways he never dreamed of, and he was still covered in bruises and cuts, not to mention ugly scratches across his own face that had turned a sickly red color. But none of that was why he felt so dead tired. The truth of it was that over the last day he had experienced wave after wave of emotion, as if all the pain he’d bottled up over the last decade exploded out of him.

It had been hours since Romaltus had passed, and during that time Cobie continued to weep and oddly enough, as he did so he continued to feel better and better. Finally, he found himself all alone, laughing at himself. As traumatic as it had been, whatever Romaltus had done was strangely cathartic. Now, having calmed down for some time, he felt the exhaustion in every fiber of his being.

Down below, scores of zombies struggled to climb up the pile or rubble and get to him, hoping to eat his flesh. It had become clear the jagged structure was impossible to climb without super-powers or a fully formed, non-decaying body, so Cobalt was totally safe. As dozens and dozens of more zombies joined the herd, the noise turned into a non-stop pattern of moaning. It almost sounds like a song, thought Cobalt. The Eulogy for the Sorcerer’s World.

Cobalt Kid sat there, exhausted, as he began to make out a large shape in the sky coming towards them. He could see large outstretched wings and a giant tail. Considering where he was, he knew it was a dragon. Too tired to even lift himself to a standing position, he waited to see what the ancient being intended. In a few moments, it was upon him with a speed that Cobalt had not counted on. A giant shadow encompassed his pile of rubble and the moan of the zombies stopped. Starting to look like I’m fucked… thought Cobalt, trying to find the effort to smile.

“Jeez Cobie, you look like total shit!” he heard a voice yell with a hearty laugh, and instantly, he knew it was Lard Lad.

“Seems like that’s you’re favorite way to great people these days,” said Power Boy, who despite looking emaciated and beat up, steadfastly offered his hand below to Cobalt.

Cobalt’s face broke into a wide smile as he saw them. All of them—alive. They had somehow done it again. “Mala’s is dead,” said Tempest. She had her arms wrapped around Lardy, holding him tightly.

“So is Romaltus,” replied Cobalt. He did not go into the details, as he stretched out to grab Power Boy’s hands with one arm and Juj’s with the others. “You guys are a sight for soar eyes, I’ll tell you that.”

Lard Lad noticed it immediately: there was something different about Cobie. He seemed genuinely…happy. Like his guard was down. “Grab a seat wherever you can find one,” he said, “we’re a little low on beverages so you’ll just have to enjoy the flight.”

Cobalt laughed at those words, not once forgetting he was climbing aboard a dragon—a first in his superhero career. “You love to make your entrances…” he said to Lardy. He looked around at them all. Everyone worse for wear but okay. “I’m glad to see we all made it in one piece,” he said, his eyes lingering on Peebz for a moment. The two of them had left things pretty tense before they arrived on Zerox. Peebz nodded, understanding the gesture. “Now let’s get the fuck out of here and never come back.”

Lard Lad laughed loudly. Tempest smiled and gripped Lardy tightly. Peebz smiled too, while Juj held his arms out to hold up Cobie, who nodded his thanks to the Durlan. Lardy suddenly yelled out to the dragon. “Zee, you heard the man! Sweet Ass Sweet!”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.