Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
As the days drew on and the Legionnaires walked deeper and deeper in the untamed wilderness of Antioch—long ago poisoned by biological and chemical weapons and then mutated overtime—they fell into a routine of vigilance and road weariness. They had done their best to avoid battles with either the horrific Bio-Mutants who now roamed the countryside or the tainted fauna which had become predatory over the decades. But they could not avoid it forever, and so every day saw at least one minor skirmish. It seemed as if they were battling Antioch itself.

At last, three days into their journey after traveling along the path, they came upon an open clearing, where a small caravan of people were making camp. These Antiochan travelers were 'in between cities', and though at first they were worried and suspicious of the newcomers, upon seeing the standard of the Space Knights Templar they immediately welcomed them to the camp, delighted to feel a sense of safety and security, however briefly.

“We can rest and feast with these people tonight,” said Lard Lad to Cobalt Kid, who nodded back to him in agreement.

“It will be good to be around people who are not going off on a suicidal quest,” said Rockhopper Lad.

The LMBers all put their packs down and found a place to sit, resting their tired legs, though at first they were hesitant to join the group of people. Rockhopper Lad’s words were true—there was a solemn air between them because of the enormity of their quest, and they really hadn’t been good company thus far.

Finally, a young girl walked over to Timberwolf, holding a plate of food. “Excuse me sir,” she said, “but we were wondering if you were hungry?” She was smiling very widely.

Kalla Hrykos, by his side, seemed unsure of how Timberwolf would respond. Indeed most of them were. Timberwolf smiled widely. “I’m starving,” he said and he grabbed the chicken leg in a flash, and put it in his mouth and ripped off a huge piece. The girl laughed hysterically at this and Timberwolf soon devoured the piece in an even more animated fashion, also laughing.

And at last, they could relax.

They soon joined the others by the camp fire, taking in its warmth. The people were more than happy to share their food with them, though the Legionnaires felt bad about taking it—at first. Ultimately, they were starving for things other than rations, which was mainly dried meat, dried fruit and bread which quickly went stale. The feast was modest but to the LMB, it was pure bliss.

Rockhopper Lad approached the people and spoke on the Fellowship’s behalf: “Noble sentients,” he began, “we thank you for your kind offering for a band of road-weary travelers. I hope one day, we can repay you.”

The elder among them replied, falling to one knee. “It is you who honor us, Great Prince, for partaking in our supper,” he said, then adding, “and your presence here gives us hope that perhaps better times are on the horizon.”

Rockhopper Lad walked forward and put a hand on the elder’s shoulder. “Rise,” he said, and the man did so. “We share that same hope,” he said, and then released his hold on the man’s shoulder. The man was truly in awe of such an act. A small tear ran down his face.

-----------------

The Fellowship partook in the feast and soon intermingled among the sentients there. They were in high spirits for the first time since they’d all gotten together at Weber’s World, and soon wines and other drinks were being passed around.

“Smoke?” said a young man named Bram to Cobalt Kid, holding out a basket of fresh tobacco.

“I will,” said Cobalt, adding, “but I have no pipe.” Bram handed him a small, modest clay pipe.

“Please keep it,” said Bram.

Cobalt felt very gratious. “I will,” he said, and then he handed Bram something from his cloak: a Nura Nal barette, which were standard items given to all LMBers. They were largely harmless but many of the LMB carried them as clasps since they were made of platinum. Now Bram felt honored.

“Since when do you smoke?” said Lard Lad with a laugh.

“Starting today,” said Cobalt and the two of them laughed.

Around the campfire, Power Boy was telling stories of great battles he had been engaged in, and he captured the total attention of Sir John the Carggitte and Tomar Te.

Not far from them, Helena Handbasket and Knightress were talking though it was difficult to hear what they were saying. Bye Helena's side was the plant she had brought all the way from Legion World.

“Helena,” said Lolita, across the campfire interrupting, “what’s with the plant?” she asked, not being able to hold back the question any longer.

“Ask your boss,” she replied with a shrug.

Lolita realized she wasn’t ever going to get a strait answer until the plant actually came into play. She turned to Shark Lad, who sat by her side, but away from the fire.

“So that’s the girl that loves Reboot?” he said, nodding to Knightress. “Wonder if he knows?”

“Aw, going soft on us, fishlips?” said Timberwolf suddenly from the side, “Or just thrilled that scary LMBers people can still be loved?”

“You know fleabag...” said Shark Lad, his voice growing louder, “just when I thought you couldn’t be anymore ugly…”

Lolita held Shark Lad’s arm to stop him from standing up. “Let him be,” she smiled, “and have some of this.” She handed him a cup full of a makeshift chum she put together for him.

Kalla Hrykos put her hand on Timberwolf’s as well, out of habit as this happened. Across the campfire, Tempest watched as it played out. She then turned, at first alerted by loud noise, but then rolling her eyes at loud laughter coming from Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad.

Rockhopper Lad and Time-Teller Lad had joined the two, as did several other sentients camping there. They were telling stories.

“It was the first time I meant him,” said Rockhopper Lad, “and I’d just joined the LMB. And he says to me: so many of us are joining at once, we’ll infiltrate them from the inside and they’ll never know it! I thought he was kidding,” he said with a laugh, “and the next thing I know, he’s leading a riot down Statue Way!”

Cobalt Kid let out a loud laugh. They were talking about Tamper Lad and the riots of 3006. “I miss Tamper,” said Cobalt, “above all else, he kept things interesting.” Cobalt took a drag off of his pipe. “He really hasn’t been an active LMBer, since…what? The Five Faces of Death?”

“Yeah,” said Lard Lad, “I remember he was there when I left the castle…and died,” said Lardy, but then trying to change the subject said, “I think he was with Roy when he regained his face.” Lard Lad stopped though, realizing he changed the subject to Sir Roy, who had just recently died on Legion World. It was a very harsh memory and still fresh.

“I miss him too,” said Rockhopper Lad to Lardy, and his words were sincere. “He gave me hope.” Rockhopper Lad and Lard Lad were once deeply in love, and even though they were no longer together, they had a deep bond.

“You haven’t really had a moment to grieve Lardy,” said Cobalt to his friend. “You should take that moment for yourself. I know he was your friend.”

“A fallen warrior?” asked Bram to Cobalt.

Cobalt nodded. “Yes,” he said in reply. “We’ve had many friends along the way who have passed. Some we barely got to know, like Frankie, and some who became great friends, like Sarya, the Emerald Empress. Some were just our allies, like Scipio or Danger Damsel…or even Roy…but it still hurt.” Cobalt now felt a stirring of melancholy himself, and he picked up the wine jug and took a long sip.

“I’m going to miss him,” said Lard Lad. “I always felt like he not only had made amends for his crimes, but he was constantly outdoing himself. Like one day he’d be a full-fledged LMBer.” Lard looked into the fire, but suddenly he smiled. “You know what I really liked about him? He had no sense of humor.” He started to laugh. “Honestly, he didn’t get any jokes…and then you’d explain it to him and he’d laugh—not at the joke but at the fact that he didn’t get it.”

Rocky smiled widely, “you’re right! He turned out to be such a sweet man…but he really had no idea what sarcasm was.”

Time-Teller Lad spoke up, smiling, “someone with a wicked sense of humor was Yellow Kid,” he said. “I always wanted to visit Earth for years and years and I remember when I was carefully planning my itinerary, Yellow Kid kept telling me I had to see the original headquarters of the LMB. That it was magnificent!” At this, both Lard Lad and Cobalt Kid both started laughing hysterically, knowing where this was going. “So when I finally got there, I did, and all I saw was this huge pile of rubble. I thought for sure, I was lost!”, he said, laughing as he was telling the story. “And then I see a small sign that reads Original Headquarters of the Legion of Message Board Posters—reduced to rubble by an attack by Yellow Kid and the Primary Colors Gang!

At this, they all roared with laughter. “For someone who changed so much, you never once doubted he was pretty proud of blowing up our first headquarters,” said Lardy laughing.

A crowd was gathering as they all moved closer to the laughter. They were all in high spirits but could tell this was a cathartic experience for some of the LMBers.

“Looks that Kill Lad was another one,” said Shark Lad, walking over. “When I joined the LMB, being a massive half-shark, the media went crazy for a few days saying I was a crazed killer and couldn’t be trusted. So Seahorse, Crusader and others had to vouch for me in the media, saying they had vetted me and I’d proven myself. And then one night when we were all leaving the club, a reporter corners Looks that Kill Lad while he’s trying to sneak away and he yells back “I’m with you guys! I mean, really, a shark? Think of the kids!” They all laughed hysterically at this. “And then a few months later, when I ‘went evil’ for a time, they called up Paul to interview him and the first thing he says is “of course I predicted it!”

“You’ve got to admit the guy who recruited Britney Spears as a member of the LMB was a funny one,” said Lard Lad and they all kept laughing.

Cobalt sighed deeply—a happy sigh, yet he couldn’t help but fight a tinge of melancholy. So many friends gone. He turned to see an elder gentlemen, a bit away from the fire, who was holding a mandolin. “You sir,” he said to the man, and the crowd around them turned, “do you play?”

“Yes, song is needed!” said Power Boy.

“Unfortunately no,” said the man and the crowd let out a sigh of disappointment, “it was my wife’s.”

Cobalt nodded. “May I?” he said, walking over and picking it up when the man nodded yes. “Lolita?” he said, turning to her, as everyone watched him and now swung their glance to her. “Will you play for us?”

“Cobie, I’d rather…I’d rather not,” she said, suddenly feeling a little shy.

“You play the mandolin?” said Shark Lad surprised.

“She plays many instruments,” said Cobalt Kid walking to her, “and she does more than just play them. Please Lolita,” he said with a smile, “let these good people hear you play.”

She took the mandolin from him, cursing him under her breath so only he could hear. She sat over by the fire as everyone found a comfortable place to sit. Shark Lad sat next to her, while Cobalt Kid returned to his seat by Lard Lad, and smoked his pipe. She strummed a few chords, getting a feel for it. Her mind was the perfect machine for analysis and in a way, this transferred very smoothly to music. She had a natural gift for many musical instruments though this was something that none save Cobalt Kid knew about her.

She began to play and at once, every one of them were amazed by the beauty of her song, and overwhelmed by its complexity. At first they watched her in awe and eventually looked up into the night sky, or into the fire, or even at some of the others around the fire who they longed for. It was very beautiful and made them forget about their anxieties.

It went on for several minutes, and the conversation earlier about their fallen friends hung in the air still, though in a happier way as they thought about them. As Lolita reached a crescendo, she suddenly stopped.

She looked up and all eyes turned to her. “The next part requires someone to sing,” she said. Everyone knew Rockhopper Lad had the best voice among them, and so they expected her to ask him, but she surprised them. “Cobie,” she said, now taking the opportunity to put him on the spot, “will you let them hear your voice?”

They all turned to him and saw he was also genuinely surprised. He shrugged, obviously having no real desire to sing, but then said, “okay.”

“Can you actually sing?” said Timberwolf with a laugh.

“He can sing very beautifully,” said Lolita, as she started to play again.

And very quietly at first, then rising in volume, Cobalt sang a song in the ancient tongue of Antioch, a language he had learned years earlier. The citizens of Antioch were at first shocked and then overcome with emotion. He sang it beautifully, a song about lost loves and fallen friends, and a lifetime of loss tempered by a lifetime of good memories. He looked into the fire as he sung, making eye contact with some unseen force.

Lard Lad realized that in conversation, Cobalt Kid rarely showed a large degree of emotion, and normally took a very stoic demeanor. But when he sung, all of those emotions long held in check came out through his voice. Lardy thought of Sir Roy and other fallen friends. And he thought of his dead wife Dru, and even of Helen. And he thought of his kids and a tear rolled down his cheek.

They all felt the emotion of the moment; they all had similar thoughts.

Cobalt turned to Rockhopper Lad during a break in the song and nodded, and Rockhopper Lad then added his own voice, harmonizing for Cobalt, and immediately it lifted their spirits. It was beautiful and flowing and gave the song depth. Cobalt changed the lyrics accordingly, and the song became about adapting to an ever-changing world.

And at last, it was over.

They all sat there, silent, amazed at the moment they had just witnessed. Lolita was in state of half-shock, amazed herself, and Shark Lad noticed she couldn’t help but stare at Cobalt.

Cobalt was overcome with emotion but sat back down and lifted up the wine jug, drinking it deeply. When he was done, his former self reappeared. Lardy, to his right, and Bram, to his left looked at him.

“You shouldn’t hold that back, Des,” said Lard Lad, seriously.

“I know,” was all he said, and then he resumed puffing on his pipe and growing silent.

The night wore on, and afterwards most grew exhausted, making the way to their sleeping bags one by one. The Knights prepared to stand guard but Power Boy dismissed them, taking the shift himself.

And that night they had their first real good night's sleep since the quest had begun.

[ April 28, 2011, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Daroon

Faraway ducked down behind some rocks, hoping the Hive soldiers had not seen him. He watched from a low hillside for a while with increasing horror as the army moved through a small wooded valley which contained little more that a single farm.

At the front and edges of the column strode large, vaguely mantoid like bugs. Large compound eyes on small triangular heads were constantly moving from side to side, scanning for danger. Three large powerful and viciously barbed ‘arms’ moved and twitched. As these soldiers approached obstacles the ‘arms’ simply moved on three hinge like joints and with a strength no human could match they would pull up the obstacle and rend it into small pieces. Faraway’s heart sank even more, if that were possible. He now accepted, despite his last vain remaining hopes, that this was not a conquest, this was a cleansing. The Mameluke protocol had indeed been activated. The Hive had been told to remove anything and everything that would keep this planet alive, the next steps would be a complete stripping of every plant, animal and mineral of value on Daroon, then the Hive would move on leaving nothing behind but a hollow empty husk. Empty that is, except for a new colony of the Hive. Hidden deep within the mining chambers left on Daroon would be the Hives last and most hideous ‘gift’

Now that he knew what to look for, it became easier to see detail amongst the seething mass of the Hive column and pick out what he knew would be there. In the centre, moving across ordered fields full of rich ripe crops he saw large, about two foot long, maggot like creatures, a foul leprous white in colour, the maggots were moving slowly across the fields, eating everything, plant or animal that came across their path. Although they were slow moving, these maggots were implacable and nothing seemed to turn them from their path. Around the maggots, rose a thick dank brown cloud, although Far knew this was no cloud of dust much as it looked like it. Rather these were more Hive drones. Small, only around three inches long, these locust type flying bugs, were following up the maggots, eating the plants the maggots had missed, and if a small mammal made a run for it, suddenly swarming on to the poor creature and devouring it until only the bones are left.
Lastly came a huge (almost twenty feet long and ten feet tall) beetle like creature, a luminescent green sheen on its carapace a surprisingly bright contrast to the jet black chitinous legs and the large ram like snout. The bug was busy digging its snout into the soil and ripping it up, piling it up in large mounds and leaving nothing but bedrock behind. Around it smaller beetle like creatures moved into position, hoisting their backs they sprayed the soil mounds with a white phosphorescent jelly, poisoning the soil making it useless. Making it ready for mining.

A scream attracted his attention, looking across to his right he saw two of the mantoid soldiers. They were detached from the main column to act as scouts no doubt. They had discovered a low building, a hide built from rough boulders. Quickly Faraway ran across the hillside towards the bugs, as he closed he realised that this must be the farmer and his family. A swarthy stocky man now stood, protecting as best he could a woman and a child of about 3, as Faraway ran to get closer he saw the man raise an old fashioned weapon and fire at one of the bugs. A loud boom sounded across the valley as the ancient projectile weapon discharged and one of the bugs heads vanished as the buckshot hit it.

“Damn” thought Far, realising the noise would attract other bugs down in the Valley.

The farmer had now turned his gun on the other bug, but it had been too quick for him, using two arms it had grabbed the Farmers gun and was trying to pry it from his hands, the farmer to his credit was hanging on, but he had forgotten the third bug arm. It swung against the farmer’s side, the sharp barbs cutting deep into his ribs.

Skidding to a halt, Faraway took a deep breath, he had to aim this just right or………

Pointing his arm, he pushed with the faraway force, once twice and a third time. On the first the bug’s two arms and the farmer’s gun vanished, on the second, the third arm disappeared, and finally the head of the bug went Faraway. Released from the grip of the bug the farmer collapsed in agony as thin green liquid sprayed out from the dead bug’s thorax.

A second scream rent the valley, turning to the wife Faraway was dismayed to see the first bug still standing, its three arms flailing rather aimlessly as its body struggled to accept the idea that its head was no longer there, in its struggles one of the barbed arms had caught the clothing of the child and she was being swung around in the air in the midst of the bugs death throws. Faraway threw himself into a rolling dive that took him right under the legs of the bug, firing upwards; he made the arms of the bug go away, dropping the child into his arms, he then fired again and half of the creatures thorax also disappeared, dropping the creature instantly.

Gently standing Far handed the crying child back to its mother then turned to the Father. He was bleeding badly and needed a hospital. Quickly reaching for his first aid kit Faraway started bandaging the man up as he did so the farmer reached up and gripped his arm.

Weak from loss of blood the Farmer said “thank you sir……….please if you can….. please save my wife and daughter, even” he coughed violently and warm red blood speckled his lips, “leave me and save them” he urged.

Saying nothing Faraway finished bandaging the wounds as best he could, then gave the man a strong sedative. As he stood he heard noises from the trees, what could he do? The man was not strong enough to live through a jump, the woman and child were now kneeling by his side, and he would be hard pressed to get them to move anywhere without the husband and father.

The noise grew louder then out in to the clearing came 6 more bug soldiers. They saw the family group and instantly ran to attack, barbed arms scything through the air in anticipation. Faraway attacked, two of the Bugs vanished, gone faraway. “Bad choice” thought Faraway “I hope they don’t materialise somewhere inhabited” realising that this time and with this enemy he could not simple move the problem to another location

The bugs were half way to them now, and Faraway knew that removing the head would kill them but might not actually stop them as these soldiers had very little brain and a lot of killing frenzy to maintain the body. He fired again, and this time two of the soldiers found themselves with out any legs. They lay there on the ground, their life juices streaming out of the holes where there legs used to be. But still they came on, crawling along, using the barbs on their arms to gain purchase and moving closer to attack. Faraway gestured again, and this time the heads and arms disappeared. The bodies lay on the ground, shivering and rippling but at least they could no longer move, they could no longer kill, rend, crush.

But this had given time for the last two bugs to reach him. The first swung a sharp killing blow aimed at Far’s head. Faraway ducked and jumped forward, rolling under the bug as before. Again he reached up and fired this time he sent all the bugs arms away at once, followed by its legs, as the creature fell to the ground Faraway was up and running this time to place him self between the last remaining bug and the family.

Arriving between the bug and the family he planted his feet firmly on the ground and looked at it. Grinning evilly Faraway said “well greenie, you’re all alone now, and I’m guessing a hive mind like yours won’t like that will you”

The bug had stopped moving now. High up in its triangular head the large compound eyes swivelled independently. One kept a steady focus on Faraway, the other looked across at the bodies of its swarm mates. It seemed to be considering options. Faraway stood tense, waiting. It was impossible to read any emotion any thoughts on that alien face.

Suddenly the bug stuck, two huge barbed arms swung in a pincer movement at Faraway’s head. Faraway dived forward intending, as before, to roll under the weak underbelly of the bug, too late he remembered the third arm, he saw it crashing down towards his head and actually felt it cutting deep into his shoulder and arm and then….the Faraway force automatically kicked in to protect him, it sent him 10 foot away across the glade

Standing across the glade dizzy with a loss of blood and an unexpected jump, Faraway tensed himself to attack the bug again. He staggered and fell to one knee, pain coursing through his shoulder; it felt like the whole side of his body was on fire. Through a haze of pain he saw the bug reach the still kneeling woman and child; he saw it raise all three arms ready to strike.

Forcing himself to stand Far gritted his teeth and shouting, hoping to distract the creature, Far raised his good arm.

Suddenly a blurred figure shot down from out of the sky, it caught the bug squarely in the centre of its thorax and pushed back away from the Family. As the creature righted itself twin beams of high energy shot out from the eyes of the newcomer and incinerated the bug As he did so another Daxamite landed beside Dev Em

“I have news from Kar Em” he said to Dev.

“Later” said Dev and turning to the family said “Hi, don’t worry, my name is Dev Em and I’m here to help”

“Dev” said Faraway “boy am I glad to see you”

Dev turned to look at Faraway, “so you finally decided to come join in the fun eh” he grinned “well welcome to Daroon” turning back to the family he said “don’t worry, we are going to take you somewhere where your husband can get help”

He walked over to Faraway and lowered his voice “Far, I’m glad you’re here, I don’t know what is going on or why the Hive is attacking us with such ferocity, but, to be honest, we are getting our butts handed to us on a plate, and some. When is the rest of the UP fleet getting here to help us kick these bugs off planet?”

Faraway grasped Dev’s hand “Dev, I have a lot to tell you, but not here, can you get us all away from this valley?”

“He can now that we are here Ambassador” said Kar Em landing silently beside them, “I too am pleased you are here, we may have need of you. But you’re right we need to get all of you out of here for I can see a few dozen more of those bugs coming up the hill towards us”

And saying that, Dev, Kar and the other Daxamites scooped up the family and Far and flew up into a bright blue sky heading towards…..the ground.

Faraway shut his eyes; he hated it when Dev burrowed underground like this.

When he opened them again they were in a cavern. Around the walls were a number of wounded people. A few of the less heavily wounded were cleaning weapons.

“Dev” said Far, “We need to talk”

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
SharkLad found it hard to sleep. For all the laughter the group had produced swapping stories of times past, he felt overcome by something else. Was is sadness? No. Regret? Perhaps. Jealousy?

He looked over at Lolita. She was even more beautiful in her sleep. SharkLad wished he could get past his suspicions of there still being something between Lolita and Cobalt Kid.

"Bah," SharkLad muttered as he got to his feet.

Grabbing a torch, SharkLad starting walking away from the camp, eventually entering the woods. He continued walking until he felt he was far enough away so as not to be heard.

SharkLad opened his mouth and let out a ferocious roar. He let loose a barrage of projectile teeth hitting trees and plants alike. He stood in the midst of the woods, his breathing heavy.

"Don't think I could have kept that in much longer," he said between breaths.

Suddenly, SharkLad was struck in the shoulder.

"What the sprock?" he said as he pulled from his shoulder one of his own teeth. "Who's out there?"

Another teeth came flying in his direction, but he ducked and it pierced the tree behind him letting out a fountain of orange sap.

"That's it," SharkLad growled, "You better come out here now before I start slashing everything in sight."

Another tooth came his way and then another. SharkLad dodged and ducked before finally letting out another barrage of teeth effectively hitting those teeth still coming his way.

"You got anything else?" SharkLad grumbled.

The orange sap continued to flow out of the tree behind him. Soon it reached SharkLad's feet. As soon as it touched him, the sap began to crawl up his legs.

"Now what?"

Frantically, he tried to free himself from the sap but it was moving quickly up his legs. He twisted around and thought for a moment that the tree was grinning at him.

"Here! Smile at this," SharkLad bellowed as he jammed the torch into the tree. It seemed to let out a howl. The orange sap stopped flowing, and SharkLad was able to free himself. He looked around. The trees and plants all seemed to be vibrating violently.

"Alright, I get the message. I'm outta here."

SharkLad used his sense of smell to find his way back to the camp -- he could never mistake Lolita's perfume.

SharkLad entered the campgrounds and made his way over to Lolita. She stirred.

"What are you doing?" she asked ever so gently.

"Nothing, sweetie. Go back to sleep."

Lolita rolled over and wrapped her arms around SharkLad.

"Just do me a favor, though," he said.

"What's that?"

"Don't piss off the trees."

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Dev Em held up his hand for a second. "Wait a second Far, you need some help first. They are staying back for the moment, so we have a few minutes to get you patched up."

Two of the Kings physicians had been brought here by Kar Em and the four other Daxamites that had been with him. The King motioned for them to attend to Faraway Lad.

Kar Em held out his hand so that Far could shake it with his good arm. "It's good to see you again Darden. It's been too long."

"That it has Kar."

They shared a smile, thinking of the last time they had talked. It had been over dinner with Mirenna Helen and Faraways wife. Talk of past adventures had ruled the conversation.

Faraway winced as the Doctor cleaned his wound. "Wish this had been under better circumstances."

"Well, most of our get togethers have been under similiar circumstances..."

They continued to talk, Kar Em keeping Faraway distracted as the Doctors poked and prodded his wounded shouler.

Dev had wandered over to where his family was. "How are they doing? he asked Princess Alyson as he looked at the King and Queen.

"Daddy is not doing well at all. He is being strong, but everyone can tell he is loosing strength every minute. Mom is okay, but fading as well...it's just slower. The Doctors have nothing to curb the amount of venom that they have been exposed to."

Dev put his arms around her and gave her a hug, drawing her in close. She laid her head on his chest and breathed deep.

He kissed the top of her head, "I'm so sorry Alyson, I wish things had been different with us."

She looked up at him, "they still can be...it's not too late."

He looked at her and smiled. He looked over at their children, both now asleep with Helena and Hugh, despite all the noise and bustle going on around them.

"Maybe it's not at that," he said and hugged her tight again.

They were interupted by Loser Lad clearing his throat behind them. "sorry to interupt, but Big Daddy and his buddy want a word with you Dev.

Dev laughed a little. He turned and slapped his hand on Losers Shoulder as they walked towards Kar Em and Faraway Lad.

"I hate it when you do that..." Loser said rubbing hos shoulder.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renly Fox
former Red Pirate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renly Fox           Edit/Delete Post     
Winath, United Planets

“So why didn’t Lightning Lad go on this mission?” asked CJ Taylor, the LMBer known as Enigma, as they walked through massive grain fields that towered above their heads. He was hot, dirty and annoyed they’d been out there all day for the fifth day in row.

“Man’s got his own troubles on Legion World, ‘pard,” said Raging Bull, his companion. “I don’t like it none either, but it’s a job that’s got to be done,” he finished, tipping his cowboy hat forward to block out the hot sun.

The two walked through the Winathian wheat fields towards their destination, a remote farm in the middle of nowhwere. Winath was a longtime founding planet of the United Planets and was renowned for its vast farming resources, which often fed a huge majority of the United Planets and was essential to the UP economy. Because of this farming culture, it was not quite as advanced as some civilizations from a technology standpoint and did not have many cities. But the planet was of critical importance. Enigma and Raging Bull had been deployed by the LMB to investigate rumors of farm land being destroyed recklessly.

“Up ahead,” said CJ suddenly, stopping. “Something is definitely going on up ahead.”

“You ever gonna tell me your powers, pard?” said Raging Bull with a smile and a whisper. CJ just smiled. Known as ‘Enigma’, CJ Taylor’s powers had remained a mystery for many years now, though the LMB kept him on without ever asking, which dumbfounded a huge portion of the membership. Rumors from years earlier suggested he was a clone or alt ID of Eryk Davis Ester but that had largely been disproven and dismissed.

They crept up slowly, Raging Bull pulling out his lasso from his large belt. CJ cleared some of the wheat and in the distance they saw a large red house and barn. And to their shock, among two dead bodies and several slaughtered animals, were two Dominators and a small space ship. One Dominator was looking at an omni-com, while the other was spraying fire into the wheat, obviously preparing to destroy the entire large crop.

“Dominators? Here?” said CJ in shock. “They’ve never gotten so far into the UP, not even when they invaded Legion World!”

“It’s an act of war is what it is,” said Raging Bull. “This ain’t no typical farm vandalism,” he said, the implications clear.

CJ nodded, without saying the obvious: the Dominators were using home grown terrorists to destroy the Winathian grain supply, little by little. The effects, if unchecked, could potentially starve the UP and ruin the economy. “It ends here and now, then,” said CJ, and the two LMBers began to move forward.

---------------------------

Five minutes later, the two Dominators were tied in Raging Bull’s lasso, beaten and bruised. Their weaponry had been destroyed but their space ship remained.

“Dominator scum,” said CJ, moving the two dead bodies. “You made a gross error today though, when you let yourselves get caught.” As members of the Dark Oval, the Dominators would have critical knowledge the UP would find useful.

“Don’t even bother with ‘em, CJ,” said Raging Bull. “Sci-cops will be here to get ‘em shortly.” He turned back to putting out the fire, using an old hose. “Just about put out the flames…this farm should be okay if someone from Winath will come here and run it.”

“CJ?” said a Dominator suddenly, his eyes going wide. “CJ Taylor? By the Caste, imagine our luck,” he said to the other Dominator.

CJ looked perplexed. “Luck? Luck you got caught by Bull and myself? Yeah, sounds real lucky,” he added sarcastically.

The Dominator laughed a deep, throaty laugh that sounded disgusting. “Oh luck will be on our side,” he said. “You’re highly valuable in the Dark Oval, and out here, you’re largely unprotected. Our disk will grow to immense size when we bring back…”CJ looked at him oddly, realizing something wasn’t right, but Raging Bull had moved too far away for him to hear what the Dominator was saying. “…especially since you didn’t catch the third of us,” he added with a smile.

Suddenly a blaster fired at them all, and CJ ducked immediately, as it hit the barn behind them, causing it to explode in a mass of fire and debris. CJ rolled toward the wheat, cursing himself for the rookie mistake of not finding a third member. He pulled out his own LMB blaster, and looked around for Raging Bull who was nowhere in sight.

“Hahahahahahaha!” said the Dominator who was speaking before. “You foolish LMBers! We’ll be rewarded greatly—“ suddenly his voice was cut off, as the blaster hit him right in the face, causing it to explode. The other Dominator, who had been silent, felt immense panic as suddenly he too was shot. Evidently, the third Dominator didn’t want to share in the reward, and that made CJ nervous.

CJ suddenly felt something approaching from behind and rolled to his left, standing, as he saw the third Dominator moving at super-speed. This was not a typical Dominator like the others, but rather, an Unkillable, he thought, realizing he didn’t have enough time to fire. Suddenly from the side, Raging Bull emerged, tackling the Unkillable to the ground, and throwing his lasso on it. They rolled around, as the super-strength of the Unkillable began to get the upper-hand. “…lil help here, Ceej…” he uttered.

CJ jumped onto the Unkilalble’s back to pull him off, freeing Raging Bull, but causing the Unkillable to turn and grab him by the throat. Based on the its demeanor, CJ realized that even though the Dark Oval seemed to want him, some of its citizens were taking it to mean ‘Dead or Alive’. As the air was choked out of him and he looked to see Raging Bull still getting up from his feet, he began wondering if perhaps it was going to be end up being dead after all…?

And then suddenly two small beams of pure heat vision ripped into the back of the Unkillable, causing it to drop CJ and scream and in pain. In a flash, a blur of red and blue was seen by both LMBers and the Unkillable was picked up in the air and held by its own throat and the LMBer known as Space Ranger was above him.

Space Ranger looked grim, but dropped the Unkillable to the ground. Raging Bull and CJ dusted themselves off, both coughing and looked to see the Unkillable was dead. “Ranger, did you…?” began CJ.

“Poison capsule,” said Space Ranger, “he killed himself. Either he couldn’t face the dishonor of being captured or knew the punishment for having his mind read if he was,” he added. He flew down to them, his large cape bustling in the wind, as he looked at his most heroic in a the vast farm lands. “Are you okay?”

“We had ‘em,” said Raging Bull, a bit annoyed at Space Ranger’s quick entry and victory.

“I believe you,” said Space Ranger, reassuring him, “but I’m not here to back you up.” He turned to CJ. “I’m here for you,” he said.

“Me?” said CJ surprised.

“Yeah, what’s with everyone wanting CJ all of a sudden?” said Raging Bull.

“All of a sudden…?” said CJ in mocking taking offense. “I’ll have you know…” he trailed off with a smile.

“Cobalt sent me,” said Space Ranger, “and he said you’d need protection. Guess he was right. Those Dominators weren’t expecting you but they sure jumped at the chance to take you out.” They looked at him a bit surprised. “I know you two have been on this mission for a few days but I assume you’re up to date on UP News? Well, there’s some more LMB-centric news on the QT you need to know, involving the Dark Oval, and a select group of LMBers…”

“Why do I have the feeling,” said CJ, “that we’re not going back to Legion World right away?”

From: Captain's Cabin | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
somewhere in the wilderness of Antioch, the Contested Territories

As the Fellowship had again made camp after another long day's journey, Lard Lad volunteered for first watch, along with Helena Handbasket. After encountering various mutants along the way, the two were surprised to find this camp so peaceful. They took a moment to become acquainted.

"So," Lardy began awkwardly, "Commander Handbasket. Our paths haven't crossed all that often."

"I suppose not," Helena admitted, "even though I served as Chief Administrator during your recent leadership term, as I have in every administration since Caliente's."

"True. I left much of that stuff up to Cleome as my deputy. I spent most of my term after we defeated Phineas B. Fuddle cleaning up the streets with Cobalt."

"Mmmm-hmm," she smiled, "I coordinated the schedules with the Security Office details that served as the backup to you two."

Lardy blushed slightly. "Sorry, there. I mean no disrespect. I tend to be pretty...singleminded...in my goals. I'm trying to...do better."

"No need to apologize, sir. I do greatly admire your initiative as leader. I'm sorry that didn't cross over too well with the Security Chief job."

"Yeah, well..." He suddenly wanted to change the subject. "So...I read your file at some point. I see you defected from the Dark Oval during the Invasion..."

"Yes," she said abruptly, cutting him off. She didn't wish to rehash what she'd said during the briefing on Weber's World. "You really stirred things up with the Oval, didn't you? Beheaded Damyen Hrykos? Took some balls. No matter how his brother Collus and the Hrykosian political machine tried to spin things, many of us in the G.E.M. kind of admired you."

"Really?" he said, flabbergasted.

"Oh, yes," Helena smiled. "No one in the G.E.M. really cared for Damyen or Collus. Previous generations of Hrykos men had served with the G.E.M. as part of their military leadership cultivation. But not those two. They felt we were beneath them, and it showed in how they used us as little more than cannon fodder. No G.E.M. shed a tear when you killed him."

"Well," Lardy said, "it was an ill-advised thing for me to do. The consequences alone..."

"Don't be too hard on yourself. Your acts hastened the Oval's plans. Had the Oval not been forced to retaliate, the United Planets would have not been alerted to its threat level. It may not stand a chance as it is, but if it does, it will be because you made them show some of their cards."

"That's...a perspective I hadn't heard before," Lardy said, grinning slightly.

"It was said among the G.E.M. that you took Hrykos's sword?"

"Yep," Lardy smiled. "And I still have it!" He withdrew the sword from its sheath and showed it to her.

She looked haunted for a moment and said, "may I hold it?" He nodded and handed it to her.

As she admired it, Helena said, "legend has it that this sword was forged in pre-historic Elysia."

Lardy thought for a moment and said, "Elysia...your home planet, right?"

"Yes, that was its slave name, given by the conquering Hrykosians. With the new name they also took our history...our heritage. I've recently learned that my homeworld, before it was conquered, had been peaceful for nearly a millenium. Its people had long been at war, but they finally found their peace...until the Hrykosians came."

Helena paused and continued. "Once while serving with the G.E.M., I came across some drunk Hrykosian soldiers in a bar. Their tongues loosened and not realizing I was from Elysia, they told me the legend of the sword, how it was forged by all the nations of the planet to symbolize the peace they had achieved after millenia of endless war. When the Hrykosians conquered the planet, the Hrykos family seized the sword and kept it as a family heirloom to symbolize their crushing and repurposing of the colony they came to call Elysia."

"I killed Damyen Hrykos with that sword," Lardy said. "It was a clean, true cut. Poetic justice, I suppose." He nodded. "It should be yours. Take it."

"I...I couldn't. You...."

"I'm not worthy of it. You are. Take it with my blessing. Besides, I have another that I need to wield honorably, as its previous owner did." He reached into his bag and unsheathed another sword.

"It's beautiful," she said. "Whose was it?"

"It belonged to Sir Roy, one of the best men I've ever known. He willed it to me, and I received it soon after he died saving the Legion World Orphanage from the Red Bee. The last thing he ever did with it was to stick the Red Bee in his gut!" Lardy smiled for a moment, then bowed his head. "I've been afraid to take it out until this moment."

He looked up to the stars. "This moment was meant to happen, Helena. You were meant to tell me the meaning of that sword. I was meant to pass it on to you, so that you could bring honor back to it. And I was meant to honor my good friend by wielding his sword on this, the greatest of all quests!"

"You honor me, Sir Knight."

They bowed before each other and touched swords, symbolizing their kinship. They spent the rest of their guard shift with him sharing tales of the fallen Sir Roy and she with stories of various members of the Company she'd commanded who had died in battle.

Somewhere beyond the veil, the ghosts of those fallen approved.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World

Maya adi Lva, Prime Minister of the United Planets, was an extremely competent and capable politician, and even moreso, an excellent leader. Should the events of the last few days struck during a time when the UP had a weak chief executive in place, it very well could have spelled the end of the United Planets itself. Such was not the case now.

Maya adi Lva on a parallel world was an evil genius the like of which was seldom seen. Here, she assumed command of the largest institution in the history of history with a calculating measured approach and a calm, logical attitude.

“Madame,” said one of her attendants, “the planet Rimbor continues to ignore our summons. It’s likely as you suggested…” he began to say.

“…they’re holding out for the best offer,” she nodded, unsurprised. “Inform Ambassador Hranzer he’s going to Rimbor to sort out the situation there. I’m willing to put a 5 year blockade around the planet if they don’t cooperate and I know the gang leaders there won’t allow their export business to be disrupted. They’ll force the President to cooperate.”

“Yes ma’am,” nodded the attendant, as another attendant—yet another of the most brilliant minds in the galaxy whose merit had given them this internship—approached. “Madame, Ambassador Relnic sent in his latest report on the Braal situation. It remains distressing.”

“Noted,” she said, “tell him to maintain his efforts and give us an update in 6 hours. Any word on Khundia?” she asked.

“No Madame Prime Minister,” said the attendant, a genuine tone of worry in her young voice. “We will let you know immediately.”

Maya adi Lva nodded and looked at a wide screen of the United Planets. “What are they up to?” she thought. “I know with certainty that prior to their journey, Cobalt Kid met with the Khunds. Yet now they posture as if to join the Dark Oval. What game are they playing?”

“Madame Prime Minister,” said yet another attendant. “Princess Crujectra of Psyonia reported that Ambassador Helene is en route to rejoin her shortly. Still no word on Ambassador Coulthard.”

She shook her head. “Faraway Lad is an LMBer, Mikaal,” she said, “I expected he wouldn’t last long on the sidelines. Crujectra is needed to keep the arguing Senators at bay while we address the situation. Ambassador Helene has her own methods to servicing this crisis I’m sure. Just make sure they both get whatever support they desire.”

“Yes Madame,” said the Attendant. “Anything else?”

“Yes,” she replied, “where is General Bellassarius? I haven’t spoken to him in hours.”

---------------------

United Planets Space

Bellassarius, General Maximus of the United Planets Naval Fleets, looked at his own series of monitors aboard the central spaceship in the Naval Fleet, The Argonaut. He looked grim, but calm. Like the Prime Minister, he was also a very capable and competent leader, albeit with his own flaws.

“Sir,” said one of his own attendants. “The Prime Minister is on the line.”

“Tell her I will call her back shortly,” he replied. “you can say I’m deploying another legion to Braal, but its all I can spare right now. I’ve informed the Captains that if Hazor reveals its true colors as the Dark Oval protectorate that I know it is, they have permission to engage.”

“Yes sir,” said the attendant, who then walked off.

The other navy men continued about their duties while Bellasarius’ second in command, an elder man named Kilrain, eyed his Commander. “Sir,” he said at last, “d’ya mind if I speak plainly?”

Bellassarius did not turn to face him, but smiled. “Of course,” he replied, “and you don’t have to ask me again throughout this crisis. What’s on your mind?”

“Sir,” said Kilrain, “you’ve taken a very careful and measured approach to issuing forth the various legions, and I think that is a good strategy. But I do think perhaps yer bein’ a bit to stingy with ‘em. You’ve still got a dozen legions simply just waiting in the wings. Why not use ‘em?”

Bellassarius now turned, his smile even wider. “Because I’m saving them,” he said firmly.

Kilrain’s eyebrows raised but he did not bite and ask.

Bellassarius continued: “I’m saving them for the Dark Oval—for when we invade. I’m waiting on Cobalt Kid’s signal, which should be coming within the next few days.”

Kilrain was genuinely shocked. “Sir…I-I…I don’t know what to say. Are you sure you can count on that? Is it really going to come?”

“Oh yes,” said Bellassarius confident.

“Well,” said Kilrain, considering his thoughts, “I can see how a counterattack directly at the Oval could turn the tide. But with all those men simply just waiting around, shouldn’t we put them to use now?”

Bellassarius looked up. “And once they’re deployed here it will be impossible to recall them—at least until their finished here. No, I need them ready for the Oval. Because once that signal comes in, we’re hitting the Dominators hard—and the all the galaxies will know it was me who finally crushed those disk-heads.”

Kilrain did not say anything in response and stepped back to his former position. But silently, he hoped to his God that Bellassarius knew what he was doing…and wasn’t allowing hubris to get the best of him.

------------------------------

Antioch, the Contest Territories

The Fellowship continued to move through Antioch, as the days dragged on and they grew colder, hungrier and lonelier while they moved further and further away from the United Planets proper.

“We’re back on the road now,” said Knightress to the others, “it won’t be too much longer now…I expect we’ll arrive at the space port by the end of the day. From there, we can travel off the other side of Antioch and move on to Sumra, where our headquarters is.”

“I can say with all honesty, I can’t wait to get off this mudball,” said Shark Lad.

“So our ‘long cut’ roundabout way has brought us back to the main road at last,” said Cobalt Kid to Sir John the Carrggite. “I hope it was worth it,” he added, noting silently that it extended their time on Antioch by at least two days.

“So do I,” he said, “bio-mutants and killer fauna has its charm, but it can only go so far.”

“Something isn’t right,” said Tempest suddenly. “I’m sensing some danger approaching…directed at us by an unseen force. Everyone prepare yourselves…”

And suddenly a loud horn was heard in the distance.

They heard a low thumping noise and only after several seconds did they realize it was the sound of multiple sets of feet approaching.

“It’s at least…300…no, 350 sentients approaching…” said Time-Teller Lad, counting the footsteps.

Cobalt Kid and Power Boy rose up in the air simultaneously and looked in the distance from the height. “Bio-Mutants,” said Power Boy. “But hundreds of them. I did not realize they organized like this…?”

“They don’t,” said Cobalt Kid. “Something is causing them to do this. Their mutated minds can’t even follow orders—they’re being influenced somehow. This isn’t good.”

The two of them rejoined the others below as Lard Lad saw Cobalt’s expression. He nodded. “We’re going to have to fight.”

--------------------------------

Some distance away, Titus watched in eager anticipation, forcing his will upon the Bio-Mutants and causing them to stampede forward. At first the anticipation was part of the fun but it had gone on too long. Now he was ready for action, and the Bio-Mutants would do the job nicely.

He would not reveal himself to them yet…but hereafter, they would feel his presence. If they survived, they would understand what followed that feeling.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     

The fellowship ran uphill. Moments ago, Cobalt Kid ordered the Knightress to lead them to a more defensible position. They made their way quickly through hills via a barely discernable path. Bushes and vines slowing them down.

Behind them, the Bio Mutants howled. As the fellowship ran, the howls came closer. At first they thought that a small group could easily outrun a large troop formation but, the Bio Mutants ran wildly, the swifter ones gaining on the fellowship.

Now the howls came from all sides. Trees and bushes surrounded the fellowship, making it impossible to know how many Bio Mutants were in the woods.

Lolita looked into the woods in the direction of a howl.

She peered into the bushes and saw, through the dark, a scarred and painted face, and eyes looking back at her. To her credit she didn’t start, she simply moved back and raised her gun.

The fellowship froze … as the leaves all around them shook. Timber Wolf drew his knives. Helena Handbasket waved her laser rifle at the woods.

At once the bushes all around erupted with Bio Mutants, screeching and howling as they lunged for the fellowship.

The next few moments were a blur of strikes, laser blasts, and parries.

It took three minutes for every Bio Mutant to end up on the ground.

‘Thirty Two’ Time Teller Lad reported.

‘Scouts!’ Timber Wolf barked ‘More will be on us soon.’

Cobalt Kid looked at Timber Wolf and gave a shake of his head in the direction of the woods. Timber Wolf nodded and deftly left the group moving quickly through the foliage.

Lard Lad looked stressed, he had been sleeping even worse than the others. He snapped ‘We fight as we go, they can’t cut us off!’

And they fought as they went. Racing to stay out of reach of the horde, hacking down whatever got in their way, Bio Mutant or plant.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Daroon

The Cavern

As Dev and Loser joined Far and Kar Em they could see the two of them deep in conversation.

“Dev, Loser,” said Faraway a warm smile lighting up his face as he saw his two friends

“How’s the arm Darden” asked Loser pointing to the heavily bandage arm swept up in a sling

“Sore as buggery” to be honest replied Faraway, “Still it could be worse, the doc has told me it’s not infected or poisoned”. His face was now serious as he turned to Dev “I hear the King and Queen are in a bad way?”

Dev stood silent for a moment, looking more at Kar Em and making sure he could not be overheard he said slowly, “I’m not sure, a lot depends on how strong they are, we don’t know what the venom is so, with the facilities we have here, we can’t manufacture an antidote. Without better medical treatment they could die”

Faraway reached up, his good hand rested lightly on Dev’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, I know you have had some issues with them in the past but I hope they make it through”

“Look guys” said Loser, “does anyone know what’s going on? I mean all we know before communications with the outside world were cut off is that someone tried to kill Lardy’s kids, then when we got them here for safety, all of a sudden all hell broke out and we find ourselves in some cheap horror holo surrounded by maddened death dealing bugs”

Quickly Faraway and Kar Em filled them in on what was happening in the UP and beyond. Faraway held back the information about the fellowship not wanting to worry Loser and Dev Em even more.

“So” said Kar Em, “do we continue to hole up here like frightened rats or do we go over to the attack and kick the Bugs and the Khanate off this rock”

Faraway smiled, “Still the fighter eh Kar?, he jested “I always wondered why you got into the diplomatic game”

Wincing with pain as he turned, Faraway took hold of a piece of wood and started drawing a rough map on the dirt of the cavern floor.

“We will attack” he said, “but” he continued “we will attack the brains controlling this invasion the real reason why this attack is so massive. We are going after the Exarch!”

“You’ll never get to him through all those bugs he has milling around” said Loser aghast.

“We will” said Faraway with a cold hard edge to his voice that Loser had never heard before, “and if the Khanate is doing what I think it is doing, well getting through the bugs is going to be the easy part of the whole event”

Loser looked over at Dev who shrugged his shoulders as if to say I’m as much in the dark here as you. Loser muttered under his breath, “if getting our assess handed to us every time we fight the bugs is easy I am so not looking forward to the hard bit”

“Look” said Faraway “The Hive is fighting as if it has all the Devils in Hell driving it forward with whips, I need to know why! I need to know who is controlling things, who is responsible for this”. He pointed at the map with his stick, “the only way to do that is to ask the Exarch and that is exactly what I am going to do, with or without your help”

“And I suppose you have a cunning plan to sneak us in to this Exarch’s compound unnoticed?” asked Loser, already bracing himself for the answer.

“Sorry Bill” replied Faraway, “We don’t have time for anything subtle. If we are going to stop them doing it again” and with this he shot Kar Em an enigmatic look, “we just have to use blunt, bludgeon force”

Dev Em alone had noticed that look and he was surprised and a little concerned to see Kar Em’s face blanch and the colour fade a little.

Kar Em looked at Faraway and said one word “Corycus?”

“Yes” replied Faraway, “that’s why they are taking the mothers and children”

“Then” said Kar stepping forward and gripping Faraway good hand, “You have as much support as I can give. All my Daxamites are at your disposal, just tell us when and where” following this he whispered in Faraway’s ear, “How many will we face?”

I don’t know” replied Far, “given the time scales since the first prisoners were taken, maybe a third, possibly half a regiment?”

“Gods have mercy on our souls” replied Kar, “that many?”

“Father” Said Dev. And too late Faraway remembered you can never whisper a secret in front of a Daxamite, “what is we are facing, you look scared”

Before Kar Em could answer, a scream echoed around the chamber. The four spun around to see pouring out of a small crack in the caverns walls, thousands on thousands of small spider like bugs, they swirled around the wall of the cavern like an inky black liquid. The survivors were already firing blasters at the creatures who died by the hundreds, but hundreds more flowed into the cavern to take their place.

“Protect the King and Queen” cried the remaining soldiers as they split and one group formed a defensive circle around the Royal Couple whilst another formed spontaneously around the kids.

Without thinking, Dev and Kar Em flew to the protection of the children as they did so other Daxamites joined them, soon the spider like bugs were being fried by heat vision, or simple squashed underfoot.

Faraway and Loser had joined the group defending the King and Queen. Faraway was grimly and methodically blasting huge swathes through the spider ranks, sending them faraway. Loser gestured and a large spider tripped up and the dozen or so behind fell over it. As they struggled to right themselves a guard blasted them to a charred mess.

“Far” gasped Loser, “where are these things going when you send them away?”

“Well if I’m right, they are materialising about 30 yards up, in the middle of solid rock” said Far blasting another large group.

“And if your wrong” said Loser

“Well they are on the surface looking for a way to get back down here to us”

“Great” said Loser gloomily.

Later

After the battle the survivors were slowly sweeping up the remains of the spiders and pushing the bodies down into a deep chasm at the rear of the cavern.

The king had managed to sit himself up and was talking to Dev and Kar.

“Were any of my people hurt in this attack?” he asked.

“No your majesty, not this time” replied Kar, but all of my Daxamites are weakening, without exposure to Sunlight we will soon be of no more use to you than any other of your subjects”

It was true thought Faraway, he could see Dev was physically swaying with the effort of just standing unless he got rest soon he would pass out. Across the cavern floor he could see Daxamites sitting, kneeling, absolutely exhausted. Even more worryingly he could see that Kar Em had received a cut to the forehead and was bleeding. Without sunlight they were loosing their power and without Daxamite power he would never get through to the Exarch.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     

Tempest looked over the bodies of the Bio-Mutants from the latest raid. She sighed, tired. As the fellowship marched, the raids became more intense. First, the Bio-Mutants were easy to shrug off. But, with each raid more and more came, and they were stronger with each raid. This horde of Bio-Mutants was made of the misshapen, marked with strange colors, some with horns, some with beaks, others with wings like bats. They carried weapons, used claws or fists. The horde of Bio-Mutants threw themselves at the fellowship with some sort of disturbing vigor. Tempest couldn’t place it …

“I’m NOT scared” Lolita nearly shouted at Shark Lad.

“Lolita, your hands are shaking” He replied.

“That’s it” Tempest spoke loudly.

“That’s what?” Lolita replied.

“They’re scared, the look in their eyes, the way they throw themselves at us, they’re not mad, they’re terrified. It’s like they’re running from something.”

“I’d really like to meet whoever it is a horde of Bio-Mutants is afraid of.” Power Boy’s voice cut through the conversation.

Time Teller Lad looked uncomfortable “Well I certainly wouldn’t” He couldn’t tell if Power Boy was being serious or not.

“Tempest is right, something is driving them”, Lard Lad agreed. Tempest and Lard Lad shared a long look.

The Knights cleaned their weapons, and Knightress stepped over a moaning Bio-Mutant. “We are almost to the fort”, she pointed to a nearby hill.

Kalla’s voice was biting “About time, I’m tired of getting Bio-Mutant all over me”

Timber Wolf helped up Tomar Te, After a wince Tomar Te said “There will be supplies there, weapons, food, and bandages for those that need them.”

Timber Wolf had recently rejoined the group, Cobalt Kid had tasked him with hunting Bio-Mutants. The horde came at the fellowship, and Timber Wolf came from behind the horde, picking them off efficiently, then he would slip back into the forest to await the next raid.

“Quickly then, to the fort” Cobalt said as he strode toward the fort.

Tempest wrapped her cloak around her and followed.

------------------------------------------------------

The fellowship rushed toward the fort, muck and vines tripping them as they climbed. Another volley of Bio-Mutants raced after them.

Fwoot!! An arrow struck Shark Lad’s shoulder. “Seriously? An arrow?” He plucked it out of his thick hide, more annoyed than injured.

More arrows came at the fellowship. Then, a few blasts of energy whizzed by. The fellowship came to an abrupt halt, from sprinting to bumping into each other as they reached the gates of the fort.

“We’ll need a moment to unlock the gate!” Shouted Sir John the Carggitte.

“Would you like some tea as well??” Kalla laughed, surprise in her eyes. “We are in a bit of a hurry here.”

The horde of Bio Mutants paused, and stepped no further, a stray arrow or energy blast still came at the fellowship but was easy to dodge.

Helena’s voice came out raspy “They’ve stopped? Stopped?” She looked at Lard Lad who merely stared at the horde.

They watched as the horde began to part. Hoots and hollars came from the crowd. A huge lumbering shadow moved forward. As it got closer, the fellowship could make out a massive figure underneath a cloak. It had cleared the horde now and continued up the path. Hoofed feet struck the ground, the tips of horns became visible from underneath the hood of it's cloak.

“A little bit faster Sir John!” Helena said without taking her gaze away from the monster.

Cobalt Kid said “Power Boy”

Power Boy stood, stoic for a moment … and then blurred … towards the creature.

The next thing the fellowship could make out was Power Boy against the creature … in struggle. Power Boy grunted “hmmph ... quite strong”

Rockhopper Lad spoke from the group, “Tempest may I borrow you for a moment, let’s keep the rest of those bad men off of Power Boy”. Tempest held out her hand and Rockhopper Lad took it in his. Then the air changed.

It was hard to notice at first, and then above the fellowship … enormous clouds of white congregated. The huge mass of clouds moved towards the assembled horde, from above the fellowship, it moved to above Power Boy who was locked in combat, and then on, the massive white storm clouds finally reached the horde of Bio-Mutants.

And the Bio-Mutants screamed. Wind and ice thundered as it threw the crowds away from the fellowship. Bio-Mutants went flying or were frozen where the stood. The storm raged, as Rockhopper Lad and Tempest hurled the fury of the elements at the horde, they tumbled away like toys.

Helena watched Power Boy’s struggle. She nearly raised her laser cannon and then she laughed quietly to herself …. “He’s just playing around” she realized.

CRACK! Went the large creature’s knee. SNAP! Came a sound awkwardly from the large creatures neck as Power Boy landed carefully placed blows. Power Boy’s movements came more elegantly than before until finally he let the enormous beast man drop to the floor.

“Clear” Announced Sir John the Carggitte as the gates flew open.

Cobalt Kid saw the others faces as they entered, visibly relieved and proud of themselves, after being chased for so long, a victory felt good. However, He also saw the grime, this fellowship was tired, frayed around the edges.

An hour later, everyone sat around a large table in the common room. The fort turned out to be quite small, about the size of an inn. There was a large common room and a kitchen on the ground floor. A few bedrooms upstairs, and a storage basement filled with weapons downstairs. Tomar Te and Knightress had just returned from the basement, arms full of flash grenades, laser riffles, and various gadgets.

Lard Lad and Cobalt Kid stood at the head of the table. They studied a map laid across the table. Cobalt finally spoke

“Allright, now that everyone has had a chance to catch their breath, here’s what we’ll do.” “There’s a series of tunnels that run from the basement to the other side of the hill, from there it’s a straight run to the space port. We’ll rest and then move out via the tunnels, leaving the remaining Bio-Mutants sitting outside the fort.”

Meeting adjourned, everyone got up from the table.

Cobalt admired the group and put a hand on Lardy’s shoulder. Lardy said quietly “They work well together, despite all the drama, the romances, the old conflicts .... they make a hell of a team. All business when it comes to fighting Bio-Mutants." He chuckled and then looked sad

"It’s a shame we have to use them so hard.”

Cobalt Kid shook his head “We’ve no other choice.”

[ May 06, 2011, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Daroon

The Cavern

Hours later. The cavern has just fought off its 4th wave of attacking spiders.

However, now they have a breather, and there have been no attacks for at least half an hour, giving the defenders time to once again sweep up the mangled squashed remains of the bugs and deposit them into a deep canyon at the back of the cavern.

The walking wounded have been treated for minor bites and cuts and fortunately none of these appear to be poisoned. Yet all and especially the Daxamites were exhausted.
Around the walls teams were busy sealing off various cracks and crevices. Sets of listening and seismic monitoring equipment had been set up to try to give early warning of a future attack.

Faraway and Loser stood in a corner watching the activity around them. Across the way a little Dev was resting with his children, playing with them and Princess Alyson and seeming for all the world like a normal family on a picnic.

“Here they come again” shouted one of the listening teams.

“Persistent little buggers, aren’t they” said Loser as he braced himself for the attack.

“Listen” said Faraway, “this sounds different”

Now they could hear clearly and without the sophisticated listening equipment a low rumbling noise something was coming through the walls and it was big. In fact the cavern was shaking, pieces of rock breaking free and falling to the ground causing swirls of dust to fill the room.

With a mighty crash a huge section of cavern wall collapsed leaving a hole some 30 foot in circumference, Loser could briefly see through the clouds of dust a large beetle like creature retreating back through the tunnel it had made. Then large solider bugs burst through and started to attack.

As Faraway and Loser started to attack Far just had time to notice large, dog sized, scorpion like creatures mixed in with the Mantoid Bugs. Worryingly he also saw that these scorpions were ignoring all but the Daxamites and were attacking them in increasing numbers.

The numbers attacking them were immense, Faraway was desperately defending himself, he had lost sight of Loser, and could not see the King or Dev and the Children, all sense of order had been lost, it literally was every man for himself, and the bugs were winning. From all over the cavern Far could hear the screams as Daroon soldiers, and civilians fell under the onslaught.

Far could sense rather than see that this attack was being very cleverly coordinated, he saw through the thick of battle that he, Loser and most of the Daxamites were being moved to one side. The bugs were trying to get to the King!!

“Rally to the King” he shouted, “Rally to the King”

Powerful heat beams flashed from the Daxamites eyes and a path was cleared for a few seconds.

“Follow me” shouted Non Gand as he rushed forward,

“Wait” shouted Kar Em.

But it was too late. And then Faraway saw it, he saw just how weakened the Daxamites had become, how much they needed to get back into the sunlight.

Three Mantoids lunged at and caught Non. Shocked Far realised he could see blood under the barbs of their arms as they held him motionless for a second, then one of the scorpions scuttled forward and stabbed at Non with its stinger. Incredibly the stinger plunged deep into the Daxamite, breaking what was supposed to be invulnerable skin, the tail pumping venom into Non.

Non Gand cried out in pure agony as liquid lead was injected into him. In seconds it was over and the Mantoids dropped his dead body onto the cavern floor.

“Nooooo” shouted Kar Em and he charged straight towards the bugs, he was running on pure adrenalin now and hundreds of the creatures were being dispatched by blows, kicks and short sharp heat vision blasts.

Faraway and Loser had also charged forward, “Go for the scorpions first Bill protect the Daxamites” shouted Faraway as he blasted huge gaps in the bugs line, sending them deep into hard crushing bedrock.

Slowly, almost unbelievably the Hive soldiers started to be beaten back. The attacks became less ferocious.

“We are doing it Far” shouted Loser “we’ve scared them off they are retreating”

“Impossible” snarled Kar Em as he despatched another bug. “These drones have no self will, if the Hive mother tells them to attack to the last one they will do it”

But now there was no doubt, the bugs were returning down the tunnel, leaving the cavern. As the LMB’ers continuing pushing them further back Faraway suddenly saw standing in the entrance to the tunnel a small, slender and no more than three foot tall figure.

Although obviously insectoid, this was also obviously female.

“is that” whispered Kar Em “is that really...”

“A Princess? Yes” replied Faraway. “Many years ago when humanity first encountered the Hive, there was almost no way to communicate with them, after all how do individuals cope with concepts that only apply to hive minds. After a few incidents though these Princesses appeared. They seem to be a sort of conduit for the Hive Mother to negotiate with the UP, and they seem to act as generals as well. It not often we see them in the flesh though”

The Princess seemed agitated, looking around as it expected to be attacked, it gestured toward Faraway and Kar Em, who slowly walked closer.

“Careful” hissed Loser “it could be a trap”

Looking up at the two the Princesses mandibles moved and from a small translation box on her neck came a pleasing soft female voice.

“I take Hive away” she said “Hive mother.........wrong. Dark Lord drives her”

And then with that, soft delicate gossamer wings appeared and she flew away down the tunnel, leaving..........silence.

“Well” said Kar “how can that be? How can part of a Hive mind show independence like that?”

“More worryingly” said Far “what power can force a Hive Mother to do its bidding, and who or what is this Dark Lord?”

Dev Em moved next to Faraway

“Far, let’s get up this tunnel to sunlight whilst we can, you saw how weak we are, what happened to poor Non, We need to build our strength up if we are to help you and get the King and Queen to a working hospital.

Slowly at first the survivors walked up the tunnel, expecting an attack at any moment. But nothing came.

At last they emerged into a bright sunlit day. Many of the Daxamite threw themselves down on the charred grass, enjoying the feeling of sunlight, feeling the strength and power returning to them. Dev turned to see how the King was doing.

Faraway stood to survey the surroundings. Just a few scant miles away he could see a large mass of bugs surrounding a landed space shuttle and a large industrial looking building. It was the Exarchs ship. So close.

Suddenly there was a buzzing from the sky, down swooped a swarm of large bee like things, these though were a misshapen mockery of a bee, they reeked of evil, on the back of each a small patch seemed to give the impression of an oval, or an eye perhaps. The swarm settled on Hugh and Helena and carried them up, the children crying in fear, up into the sky before heading straight towards the Exarchs ships.

A Daxamite stood and started to fire heat vision at the swarm already half way to the shuttle.

Quickly Dev Em moved across and hit him “don’t” he shouted, “the children will be killed if they fall from that height”

“Don’t be too hard on Eltro” said Kar Em “before he came to this hell hole with me he was a trade clerk not a military strategist”.

“Sorry guys” interrupted Faraway “we need to move and move now. Based on my estimates they could have Lardy’s kids in the conversion facility in Ten minutes we have to stop that at all costs”

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Instantly Dev Em Loser and Kar Em were by his side. Half a dozen of Kar’s Daxamites were also ready.

But before they could leave.

“No!!” came a frantic voice from the tunnel entrance. Helen had hobbled forward and was looking over at the disappearing swarm.

She turned on Faraway her hands beating wildly, frantically on his chest, clawing at his face in terror and frustration. “You said you would look after them, you promised me, you told Anthony they would be safe” with each word her hands beat at Faraway. Eventually almost as soon as it had started Helens rage subsided. She buried her head into Faraways chest and started to sob loudly. Softer now, she repeated “you promised, you promised, and now they’ve gone you....you liar” Having no words, because what she said was true, he had failed, failed to keep them safe, Faraway said nothing, his good arm held Helen tight until the sobbing eased off.

Dev reached tenderly across and slowly disentangled her from Faraway, “Helen” he said gently “we are going to go and get them back, I promise we won’t come back without them” Dev beckoned over to Princess Alyson, “please take her, look after her until we return”.

Alyson took the weeping mother over to where her own children sat and helped Helen sit down.

Dev looked at Faraway and his father, he knew them well enough, especially Faraway to know that a little piece of this jigsaw was missing, somebody was not telling him everything and the security officer in him hated secrets.

Looking around at the gathered rescue party he said nothing other than “ready?”

Ready came the reply

“Then let’s go get those kids” and with that the party took off chasing the swarm as swiftly as they could in their weakened state.

[ May 06, 2011, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Faraway Lad ]

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Flying as quickly as only Daxamites could, they had almost caught up with the swarm.

Unfortunatly it was just a fraction to slow and too late, the swarm had disappeared into the factory building.

Swooping low to try to gain entry into the building the Daxamites flew too low, Khanate ground artillery opened up, and they were knocked out of the sky. As Khanate troop started to fire blasters at them from behind defensive Zareba’s the hive bugs jumped up and onto them dragging them all down to the ground.

Rolling away Kar Em quickly regained his feet and started to fight. Next to him stood Faraway and Loser.

“We have to get to that building” shouted Faraway, “and quickly”

But it was taking too long, even with all of the Daxamites they were only moving forward at a very slow pace.

“Watch out” shouted Loser “here come those Scorpion things again”

But this time under the power of the sun those stingers could not penetrate the toughened skin of the Daxamites. Of course Far and Loser were not invulnerable so had to be on guard to avoid a sting.

Behind the Bugs Faraway could see troops of the Khanate setting up heavy duty field blasters and rocket batteries as a second line of defence should they break through.

Fighting with all their might the Daxamites struggled forward against the bugs and now shots from the Khanate.

It was useless, sheer weight of numbers was delaying the rescue squad.

“Far” called Kar almost covered from head to toes in bugs “we’re not going to make it, Lardy’s Kids are going to be converted”

“Never” thought Faraway “I’m not putting Anthony through that after all he’s faced, not as long as I have breath in my body”

Even as he thought of his friend, a strange strength seemed to flow through his tired body. Just for a second Far thought he saw a faint purple glow run fleetingly along the back of his hand. Then all around him seemed to turn to slow motion, all sound ended. As he turned he could see his friends, starting to falter under the onslaught. A huge power built up inside of him and rather than try to control it in anger and frustration and because he could sense he was failing he lashed out with all of it, all at once. There was a momentary sensation as if the world had turned upside down and inside out at the same time. For a second everything all light even gravity ceased to exist. Then with a large whooshing sound it all came rushing back in, knocking Faraway and the rest to the ground.

“Wow” said Loser, rubbing a bruise on his head, “what did you do?”

“Never mind that” said Dev in awed tones, “where have all the bugs gone?”

As they looked around they could see.....

Well nothing but bare rock for miles around, except the rescue squad slowly getting back to their feet

“Later” shouted Faraway already running as fast as he could into the factory. Swiftly followed by the others.

Hundreds of light years away, in the deep dark silence of space a space ship moved slowly forward heading towards a small blue sun system. As it did so it nudged aside a huge field of dead Bugs and Khanate troops. The thousands and thousands of bodies danced a strange, silent, macabre minuet with the ship’s hull, hitting it and bouncing off and floating away in various directions.

As they all ran into the factory Faraway was relieved to see Helena and Hugh still standing there, all alone, staring at a large hole where machinery had obviously until recently had stood.

Loser ran over to them and quickly scooped them up into his arms “Their OK Far” he said “A bit cold but ok”

“He right” confirmed Kar Em, after giving them a check over with his x ray vision, there’s no signs of any........” he gulped a sigh of relief “No implants of any sort, they should be OK”

Hugh looked across at Dev “Uncle Dev” he said “We don’t like it here, those bugs are horrid, can we go home now”

Swaying, hardly able to stand after his exertions Faraway looked across to Loser “Bill, Dev take an escort of a couple of Daxamites and get these two back to Helen as fast as you can ” reaching out to grab hold of Losers arm he said with urgency “Don’t let anything happen to them Bill, not after this”

“We’ll be ok Far” smiled Loser, “Trust me Darden” said Dev “OK guys lets go” and with that they set off back to the base camp.

--------------------
Faithfull

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Antioch
Contested Territories

The mountain was quiet, Ice still covered the western slope where the battle took place. The stone walls of the small fort sheltered the heroes. Rockhopper Lad, Time Teller Lad, Tempest, and Kalla went to sleep in the upstairs bedrooms. Across the hall, Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad stayed awake planning for the journey ahead. Below, Helena and the Knights were in the common room, spreading supplies across the table, organizing for the next day. They worked by candlelight, technology was unreliable on Antioch due to the pollution in the atmosphere. Shark Lad and Lolita whispered in the Kitchen. Power Boy left the table in the common room to do an interior security sweep, again, and to report the state of their supplies to Lard Lad and Cobalt upstairs. Outside, somewhere in the woods, Timber Wolf patrolled.

---------------------------

Timber Wolf moved silently through the foliage surrounding the fort. He observed the candlelight shining from the fort. He noticed Power Boy moving up the stairs, leaving Helena and the Knights with their weapons on the table. From the bushes, Timber Wolf spied some figures walking up the path towards the fort. Timber Wolf froze, crouching. They varied in height, all with cloaks. A tall spare figure walked at the head, with a child sized figure by its side. 7 followed them like monks. Timber Wolf watched for a moment. The figures seemed to just BE closer with every passing minute. Not exactly walking but just appearing closer and closer. Timber Wolf’s instincts reeled but, he was transfixed, he wanted, needed to see the face of the leader.

At that moment from 50 yards away, the leader’s head snapped to look Timber Wolf in the eyes, through the bushes Timber Wolf crouched behind. Timber Wolf stumbled, clearly discovered in the bushes … He attempted to sound the call but fell, seeing only darkness.

As the ominous party passed, approaching the fort, the candles went out, plunging the fort into darkness.

-----------------------------------------------------

In the next moment, the door to the fort crumbled, decaying rapidly to rotted wood and then dust. The Robbed figures crossed the threshold. The large burly one that looked like the one Power Boy fought before waited outside on the path.

Power Boy woke, on the floor of the upstairs hall floor. He was momentarily confused. The entire hall was dark and he could not see any light coming from downstairs. He got up from the floor quietly. He hoped the Knights downstairs were not already dead.

He reached the stairwell and peered around the corner, where he could see 8 inside then, maybe more outside. He scanned for the knights, Sir John on the floor, sleeping, he could hear his heartbeat from the stairs. Tomar Te in a chair at the head of the table, head lolling back, also asleep. Helena Handbasket and Knightress’ were face down on the tabletop, both asleep. Good PB thought. A medium sized cloaked form ran his long white fingers over Helena’s hair.

Power Boy saw all this, and hesitated. In that moment he was undone.

The tall leader snapped his eyes directly at Power Boy. The face underneath the cloak was colorless, paper like skin stretched over a skull, with sunken eyes and a wide smile of sharp teeth. The next moment every ghoul’s eyes were on Power Boy. In unison, they snapped their heads towards the roof and opened their mouths wide, all filled with teeth. A deafening high-pitched whine rose in a chorus of evil. The fellowship woke startled from their unnatural slumber in alarm.

Power Boy launched himself with a roar, diving from the stairs, intending to barrel into the leader. The leader faded away in shadow effortlessly as Power Boy smashed into the floor. In the next moment a secondary cloaked figure was in front of Power Boy.

Power Boy couldn’t move, the figure stared into him. He felt the strength draining from his body. He was entranced, cold and frozen. As the world dimmed around him, his strength faded, he lashed out with his telepathy, delving into the creature, looking for weakness, information, anything. As the creature drained Power Boy, PB delved further, like a drowning man swimming deeper, searching for an intelligence to strike at. He found only depths.

---------------------------------------------------

Helena woke with a start, kicking back from the table, falling across the floor away from the creature, who had ripped some of her hair away in it’s hand. It lunged for her, cloak billowing wide … and found her sword through its heart with a THUNK!

The creature froze, petrifying in degrading consistency from stone, to paper, to ashes. The creature’s ashen form broke, shattering in dust over Helena. Her eyes wide in surprise, only alive because of her training, acting automatically before she even had time to think.

Meanwhile, the smallest form, the childlike ghoul slowly passed the entranced Power Boy, oblivious to the Knights waking, single mindedly moving for Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad’s room. It reached the room, put it’s slender hand on the knob, stepped through, and closed it behind her.

Across the hall upstairs, the fellowship was in various states of waking. Time Teller Lad left the rooms first, followed by a stern looking Kalla, Tempest, and Rockhopper Lad. Time Teller Lad made it down the stairs to the common room first.

No one noticed the child ghoul pass them in the halls.

Downstairs, Sir John stabbed at nearby ghoul. He kept stabbing, daggers in both hands, to no avail. Thunk. Thunk! Thunk! He stabbed at the ghoul that was stunned but still standing, unmoved. Helena’s sword had worked almost magically against the other ghoul. Sir John triplicated! Six sets of daggers stabbed the ghoul, stunning it, and then it raised it white arms and backhanded the two duplicates away. That left Sir John 1 in front of the ghoul, that opened its mouth wide. Green venom splattered from the ghoul’s mouth violently hitting Sir John’s breastplate. The venom hissed and steamed like acid, as Sir John 1 back peddled in pain … “AH ah AH … get it off, get it off!!” He fell back over a chair in a useless attempt to get away from the ghoul and the acid.

A moment later, Tomar Te’s shoulder collided with the acid-spitting ghoul shoving it into the wall. Tomar Te then rolled towards Sir John 1 vainly trying to pull the breastplate free.

“The hinges are melted! I can’t get it off!”

Lolita and Shark Lad rounded the corner downstairs, melee coming into view. Lolita’s hand went to her hip to find no weapon there, she had left her gun upstairs. She quickly grabbed one from the common table, spinning to stun a nearby ghoul. It paused as if just noticing her. She fired again, and again to no effect, as it moved towards her. It raised a finger and maggots formed in the air, unnaturally flying towards Lolita. Maggots appeared from the air covering her, and she collapsed under the maggots into a fetal position, trying to cover her face. Shark Lad attacked, grabbing the maggot-casting ghoul in a bear hug. Shark Lad pulled his head back and opened his mouth wide, biting the ghoul’s whole head off in a messy CRUNCH!

Ash exploded between Shark Lad’s arms and in his mouth “Pthwtt ! EW!! Pthwat!! Disgusting!” He glanced back at Lolita, fortunately the maggots had disappeared. She was shaken, stunned, but otherwise looked ok.

Timber Wolf awoke on the ground outside the fort. He came to and realized this big cloaked figure must have dragged him here. He saw no others and this one's back was to him, as it watched the battle in the fort. Timber Wolf played possum, letting his ears and nose tell him the story of what was happening. The cloaked figures reeked of rotting flesh. He heard the sounds of the scuffle, his keen ears telling him exactly where everyone was and what they were doing. He needed to move fast to turn the tide of the battle, at least 7 of these hard to kill creatures remained. He’d have to get Power Boy back in the game.

Within the trance, Power Boy probed the ghoul. He found only the remains of a sentience, animated by a powerful third party. The creatures mind was a mess, he couldn’t tell how this creature had come to life, whether it was undead created by sorcery, or a mutant grown and spliced. However, there was no real sentience left. He shoved away the mindless remains of the automaton, and focused on the puppet master. He probed past this undead avatar, trying to get at the animator but, there was an enormous wall. He felt like a fly He pushed and pushed at the wall with all his mental strength as his physical strength continued to drain out of his body.

Power Boy wasn’t the most sophisticated telepath but, in his urgency he surprised himself, the thick psychic wall was becoming more transparent. He could make out a figure on the other side of the shield. Tall, with a muscular build, purple robes, intensely solid in this astral place. Everything here, including Power Boy seemed like a wisp compared to this man’s psychic presence.

Power Boy pushed through the wall that, eventually parted like molasses, before he was even through he was noticed. The imposing man didn’t turn his head fully, he merely looked at PB out of the corner of his eye, and spoke. “The little one comes for Titus. Hahaha” “What a trophy you would make” Titus then turned and placed his greedy hands on Power Boy’s astral form. “Yes, a special trophy”.

The window shattered as Timber Wolf dove through, pummeling the ghoul that held power Boy enthrall. He drove his knives into its neck, twisting, and pulling, trying to behead it like Shark Lad had done. The undead ghoul struggled against Timber Wolf, until finally! Poof !!! the Ghoul shattered to ash underneath him.

Power Boy was jarred from mental battle, Titus’ slippery hands sliding off his mental form. Timber Wolf’s knives turning the ghoul to dust, was like flipping a switch. One second Power Boy was desiccated and thin, the next he regained his former strength filled stature. He said three words. “Don’t hold back”

And then he went to work. A karate chop through the neck of a nearby ghoul ended in ash. He landed a vicious kick to the one menacing Sir John, sending it flying across the room with such force, it shattered into papery dust.

The leader emanating darkness reached to confront Power Boy. From the top of the stairs Kalla knew a dark force manipulator when she saw one. 'How dare they she thought, sneaking in here like thieves to kill them while they slept.' She glowered in anger and raised her own hand hurling white-hot light at the leader. “Don’t hold back” she heard. The beam of light struck the darkness, staggering the leader back. A battle of white-hot light and darkness erupted in the common room. She raised her other hand, blasting even more white-hot light. She said to herself “don’t hold back”.

Upstairs, Cobalt woke, his head on the table where Lardy and he had been discussing plans. Groggily he saw Lardy sprawled out on the floor, snoring. “What the hell” confused, and then he heard the muffled sounds of a battle downstairs. He bolted upright, knocking the chair over.

“Hello Cobalt Kid” came from a tiny cloaked figure within the room. She was menace personified.

“Who are you?” He asked, throat dry. He heard Lardy get up from the floor but, he dared not take his attention off this … creature.

“The Lord of Murder is coming for you” It’s tiny finger pointed at Cobalt, and then it’s head turned towards Lardy as if noticing him for the first time. “And especially YOU” she pointed at Lardy.

The child was growing, it’s skin peeling back as a larger form underneath outgrew this child sized skin. Lardy and Cobalt saw teeth emerge and reptilian skin rise out of the shell of the child until a 7’ tall reptilian demon stood before them, it seemed as if fire was trying to break out of it. Flames sputtering from it’s mouth and eyes.

“Cobie..” Lardy placed himself in front of Cobalt as the demon literally fumed. Lardy hoped his exo armor could protect them.

It glowed hotter and hotter until finally Lard Lad grabbed Cobalt and threw both of them out through the window, shielding Cobalt, as the demon exploded in an enormous blast of hellfire! BOOM!

They rocketed away from the exploding building, flames at their back. The demon roared, furious at their escape, it swung its long arms, smashing the burning room. It grew larger, and jumped after Cobalt and Lardy.

----------------------------------------------------

The two blasts occurred at once, deafening the combatants. As Lardy and Cobalt flew like a projectile from the exploding second story, Kalla blasted the evil leader through the front wall. The villain was thrown with force out onto the lawn before the fort. The large ghoul bruiser out front bent down to check its leader. Finally winning her war with the darkness, she quipped “and stay out”.

The tide had been turned. Tomar Te had overturned the common table to shield himself and some of the others from the magnitude of Kalla’s blasts. Rockhopper Lad and Tempest shielded themselves behind Kalla.

Kalla slouched at the exertion, and Rockhopper Lad grabbed her.

---------------------------------------------------

Lard Lad fired blast after blast as he and Cobalt retreated into the woods. It was hard to get a clear shot as you ran the other direction. The beast dogged them.

Cobalt Kid mentally searched for iron ore in the rocks, anything metal he could use against the now 12’ tall demon spitting fire at them. Lard Lad turned and fired both blasts at the ground beneath the monster’s feet creating a huge hole. The monster tumbled in.

Unexpectedly, Lard Lad rushed the hole and jumped in. He began pummeling the beast with exo armor enhanced punches.

As Lardy reigned down punches, the beast struggled underneath, lardy was shouting and grunting, some of it not even intelligible to Cobalt Kid.

“You won’t have me!! I Hate your Dark Lord!!”
“DIE!! Never!! Tell your Dark Lord to ….. !!”
“You like burning you Skunge, you can burn in …”
“I have had enough!!”

The beast jumped out of the hole, limping and beaten, it rolled away, and stumbled to run off, away from Lard Lad.

Cobalt Kid looked down into the pit, to see a very dirty Lard Lad, huffing and puffing.

“Uh … are you ok?”

Lardy wiped his brow “much better, much better. Heh.”

Cobalt Kid helped him out of the ditch and then turned toward the fort. He hoped everyone was still alive.

After a long pause in the battle, Helena leaped over the common table, sword in her hands. “HAAAAAA!!!”

The remaining ghoul hissed and fled out front to where its leader and the bruiser were retreating into the woods.

A ripping sounded as Power Boy pulled off Sir John 1’s breastplate, it dripped with acid, he chucked it through the hole in the front wall. “Are you allright?” Sir John 1 sighed, “yes, singed but alive.”

Rockhopper Lad surveyed the scene. “None dead?” Time Teller Lad replied, “Two more, who’s missing … ” Everyone’s heads looked towards the upstairs where the second explosion had taken place, now burning with smoke and flames.

“Oh Lardy” Tempest said. “Cobalt”

Sadness came over the fellowship as no one spoke, all looking up at the flames and smoke.

--

Crunch!! Came a sound from where the front door used to be. Everyone pivoted raising weapons.

“Whoah!! That happy to see us?? ” Lard Lad joked. Cobalt Kid leaned on Lard Lad, both covered in black soot. Lard Lad’s cape was still on fire, putting up small puffs of black smoke. They looked like hell. As a matter of fact, everyone looked like hell.

As they looked around, the front wall had a huge hole in it, every window was smashed, furniture was overturned and broken, and the second story was in flames. But everyone was alive.

No one remembers who started laughing but soon they all were.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Sumra,
The Contested Territories

The battle at the Fort of the Mountain Top brought the danger on Antioch to a climax, and thereafter, the Fellowship continued to the small space port beyond with little obstruction. Though they spoke little, it felt as if a weight had been lifted off their collective chests.

The space port was modest and very spartan-like, only existing for the Space Knights to move between Antioch and Sumra. It was a very fitting end to the time spent on Antioch, and the Fellowship did not feel any longing to remain on the planet.

After the long days and nights on Antioch battling the bio-mutants and killer fauna, the quiet, albeit brief, space journey from Antioch to Sumra was a welcome change of pace. There was not enough time to sleep, but each of the Fellowship was able to find a few moments to close their eyes and embrace their exhaustion.

The contested territories were a section of the universe with a very odd and difficult geography to navigate. It was next to impossible to go around Antioch, and therefore, one must pass through the planet. Beyond Antioch, however, was a much better situated planet to strategically monitor the rest of the Contested Territories, and Dominion space beyond in the Dark Oval. This planet was Sumra, home of another ancient civilization that was once the Mecca of trade in this portion of the galaxies one thousand years earlier. Like Antioch, centuries of being under the Dominion yoke had crushed much of its civilization, but it had not suffered the same nuclear and biological attacks as its neighbor.

Thus, Sumra had remained a center of commerce and culture despite the Dominion yoke—though it clearly was a planet that had seen its people and cities crushed numerous times over the centuries. Yet it had held on, somewhat dilapidated, and at the onset of its liberation, it was the first to rise up and regain a sense of its former self. This encouraged the Space Knights Templar to make Sumra their headquarters—which was welcomed by the citizenry.

The Order of the Space Knights Templar’s massive headquarters was the size of an ancient city, and was a combination of a military base, monastery and bureaucratic business center. For the first time, the Fellowship could see the full scope of the Space Knights, whose number now exceeded five hundred thousand members of its order. Here, where at least one-third were always on active duty, they could see the Space Knights engaging in downtime in between patrols along the contested territories.

------------------------

The ancient planet of Sumra was a wonder to behold with monuments and temples over a thousand years old still in use in modern times. Yet, with the Space Knights Templar present, the most sophisticated technology worked seamlessly into the landscape to make their Space Knight’s headquarters an effective center for their goals in the contested territories.

“Hile, General Cobaltus!” said a regiment of Knights who came to greet them. “This way, Sir,” said a young knight, far too young to have been in the Triumvirate military several years earlier Lolita noticed as they followed.

“Gentlemen,” said Cobalt, “I don’t want our Fellowship to receive any special treatment,” he said clearly, “we’ll live by the same standards as you all do.” They nodded and said nothing, though Cobalt knew they likely prepared a small feast for the Fellowship and would have the very best lodgings available for them. To many of them, the generals Cobalt Kid and Eryk Davis Ester were great heroes—either through leading the older veterans to many victories in earlier years or being part of numerous famous tales to the rookies.

As they walked down the streets, the Knights all parted, allowing Cobalt Kid and the Fellowship to pass unimpeded.

“This clearly isn’t good for your ego,” said Timberwolf to Cobalt.

“It explains a lot,” said Lard Lad with a smile.

“Once we get to the private quarters everyone can have some downtime,” said Cobalt, adding, “I’ll have much to discuss with the Knights. I was hoping Eryk might be here too, but I don’t know if that’s the case or not.” At this, Lard Lad’s ears perked up. He had not seen Eryk Davis Ester in quite a long time.

“Tonight we’ll all sleep in a normal bed once again,” said Cobalt Kid to the Fellowship as they got off the ship, “and this is likely the last normal bed you’ll get to sleep in for a long, long time. So enjoy,” he said with a wicked grin, embracing the rough days ahead of them as best he could with some gallows humor.

-------------------

Soon, the Fellowship was brought to the private barracks set aside for them, after taking in the busy military headquarters on the walk over. As they realized their journey had a moment’s respite, it dawned on them that now they would part from the three Knights who had spent several days in battle with them. Even though it was a brief time, any experience of life and death spent with a comrade at arms invoked a strong bond between warriors. Real friendships had been forged in the preceding days and they would not be forgotten.

“Power Boy,” said Tomar Te, “it’s been an honor hearing your tales. It’s here that we’ll depart for a time, though I do hope to see you again…perhaps in the Oval itself,” he added, giving a hint of Cobalt’s plans for the Space Knights in the coming weeks.

Power Boy nodded. “Til next we meet as allies on the battlefield.”

Sir John the Carrggite also spent some time exchanging parting words with the LMBers, while Knightress grasped Helena Handbasket’s hand tightly and whispered some words to her; the two had shared a bond these last few days and had obviously begun a friendship.

Sir John and Tomar Te began to walk into the crowded streets, off to report for their next duty but Knightress hung back, not leaving. “A moment, General,” she said to Cobalt Kid.

Cobalt nodded and moved away from the others with her. “Yes, Lady Winterhawk?” he said, curious if she had some additional intelligence to give him.

“You’ve assembled a mighty band of warriors,” she said, “and they are working well together.” Cobalt nodded, agreeing with her. “And they’ve put quite a bit of trust in you,” she added, “as well as Lard Lad and Rockhopper Lad, the LMB leader.”

“Yes,” said Cobalt, “I know that. I hope to validate that trust.”

“Do you, sir?” she said, trying very hard not to speak out of line to her superior. Cobalt knew that she loved Reboot, who notoriously would call out Cobalt publicly when he thought Cobalt was in the wrong. He wondered how far that stretched to Knightress. “Not one of them realize that you’re keeping quite a bit secret from them. My abilities allowed me to sense him.”

Cobalt smiled, but did not respond. “I’m waiting for the right moment,” he said after a few moments of silence. “My goal is unleash him when the time is right and hope they might gain some comfort knowing I have several plans in place which have accounted for many problems.”

Knightress nodded. “I see your point,” she said, “but some might be more prone to anger that you’re keeping a secret from them. Your fellows believe the Fellowship has eleven members—but in truth, it has twelve.”

Cobalt smiled. “They’ll have to just trust me,” he paused, “as you do, Knightress.”

This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.