Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Timberwolf had been piloting the cruiser for several hours. Helena Handbasket had stayed alongside him the entire time. He glanced at her every once in a while and was impressed by her concentration to the task at hand. He was also acutely aware of Kalla, who was still behind him watching as they progressed along their journey.

The problem was, her breathing had altered and stayed altered ever since Cobalt Kid had revealed that Invisible Brainiac was with them on the journey. His power set disturbed Kalla, and really...she had a point. his powers were the perfect mirror of her own, and showed that Cobalt Kid had planned for the possibility of Kalla not falling into line and wanted to have someone along that would follow his orders without question. Timberwolf also knew that she was not only sitting there trying to take in the sights of "home", she was trying to figure out what he himself had known about Invisible Brainiacs presence.

Lon sighed to himself and glanced back at the rest of the passengers. Most of them were sitting quietly contemplating their next destination, or talking to one another about their current situation. he shifted his eyes to Kalla and she smiled at him. It was a genuine smile, but there was a touch of real hurt in her eyes.

He glanced quickly at the controls and unbuckled himself from the chair. "I'll be back in a few minutes," he said to Helena. She looked at him and nodded.

He stood and looked at Kalla, "c'mon, let's talk," he said and glanced towards one of the few rooms off the main cabin that they could have at least a little privacy. She stood and followed him.

Once he closed the door, she looked at him and bluntly asked, "you knew...didn't you?"

Lon looked her dead in the eye and said, "yeah, I did. He didn't tell me, but it's not like I cannot tell if there is another person on board, or with us as we moved along. Things like the drag of a ship taking off being off by just a minute bit. The angle of ascent was off just enough to tell me that there was extra weight on board."

She looked at him with a sense of awe that she had not felt for any man in years.

He continued, "when we were on Antiach, the dust trail that we left lasting longer than it should have. We were kicking up more particles than we should have, and the only way that was possible was if there was someone else with us at times." He breathed deep as he shut his eyes and then smiled at her. "I also know tht there have been others following us, or sticking close enough to us to keep a track on where we are. Some of them are allies of some sort, and others, as you know, do not have our best interest in mind."

"But this Invisible Brainiac is your friends way of insuring that he has someone with my power set under his control at all times. It just shows me again how much these people do not trust me." She turned away from him, "and since you didn't feel it necessary to tell me, that means that you..."

He grabbed her arms and turned her towards him. "Do not finish that sentence," he said with an almost angry look forming on his face. "I love you and trust you..." he glanced down for a second and then looked her square in the eye, "...and it's not like you don't have things that you have not told me."

Anyone else may have flinched a little with the accusation, but for Kalla, the only thing that Lon noticed was the slightest raise in her left eyebrow to tell him that she did indeed have more secrets than even he knew about.

"We are the same type of person Lon...slow to fully trust...if ever."

"You should be careful about who you trust fully though. There is intel that I have come across to show that one of your most trusted is not operating with your best interest at heart."

Her eyes narrowed. Who would dare betray me...or is he testing me, trying to get more information from me to give to Cobalt.

Kalla gathered herself and drew upon every fiber of her willpower to measure her tone and reign in her emotions. She would not break down or fly into a rage, no matter what.

"If you truly know something along those lines and are holding back information from me, then you justify my reluctance to trust you completely, Lon. Yes, I have secrets I'm keeping from you. Cobalt has far from my best interests in mind. You damn well know that! I have to protect my interests because he has every intention of turning on me as soon as he gets a chance!"

She was losing her grip on herself. Her eyes were tearing up. Her voice was breaking. She loved this man with all of her heart, and there was no separating her passion from her reason here.

"You have been his operative and his confidante for a long, long time, Lon. I want more than anything to trust you with all of my secrets--look in my eyes! You know I want to! I'm in an impossible position! What would you do if you were me?!?"

He grinned just a little. "I know exactly what I would do sweetheart. I know that we both have secrets, and so do you. What I got though...I just received within the last few minutes before bringing you back here. Cobie does not even know about this..."

He handed her his Omnicom, and on it was a very recent communication sent between one of the resistance and Juj. It spoke of the backup plan that was underway on Earth 4, and how it needed to be completed sooner than expected because she was closer than they had initially thought.

He waited until she completed reading it. "I don't know what is going on, but it sounds like Juj has people on Earth 4 and that they have something planned...something that I do not believe is in our best interest." He took the Omnicom back and deleted the message. "This goes no further than us unless you tell me that you want him to know. There's nothing concrete here, but it gives me a bad feeling. I have some of my agents working their way through various organizations trying to find out what is happening...but it is a slow process. I don't think that we'll get much more info before we get to Earth 4. Infiltration takes time...and time is something we do not have a lot of."

Kalla listened to him, and was weighing his words carefully. "Don't you mean Cobie and your people are being sent in?"

Lon bit his bottom lip a little and then continued, "No. I mean mine. We operate together, but we both have our own networks. The only way to guarantee that we get as much intel as we can. There are at least two agents that we share...not sure if he knows that though, probably does." He smiled and laughed a little. "Look, Cobalt really trusts very few people. He gives people things that make them think he trusts them...but he is trying to cover anything that he can think of with several backup plans. Usually, I am those backup plans...but this time, I am too close to the issue for him to rely on me being that option. He hasn't even addressed it with me, because he knows my answer. He also knows that he has to plan carefully, because I can see through just about everything that he comes up with. He's good...but, you know."

She grinned. "You two are an interesting team."

"You have no idea. I trust him with my life...I also trust you with my life as well. If you tell me that this is nothing...or that..." he paused and gazed directly into her eyes, "...or that you know what this is about...than we proceed with no concern. Think about it, and tell me when you're ready. I'll know what you're talking about."

He leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I really do love you Kalla, and I trust you."

He turned, opened the door and went back to the copilot seat.

[ May 29, 2011, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The Dominion,
The Dark Oval

Once again, the sheer scope of the journey began to overtake the Fellowship as the hours aboard the space cruiser became days; the Fellowship drifted into silence, concentrating on moving forward and fighting exhaustion and weariness.

“Up ahead,” said Lard Lad, glad to be the one to break the monotony, “that is where the fuel station will be. We’re just about out and we can refuel there; we can acquire enough to see us all the way Hul.”

“Is it some sort of fueling station?” asked Shark Lad.

Lard Lad nodded. “More like a space-harbor. An otherwise desolate planet that over the centuries has become a center for passing merchant and military ships, providing fuel, tools, food and other retail items. It’s very useful though exactly the kind of dangerous place we need to be extra careful. The Dominators call it Xom.”

Kalla Hrykos gave some more detail, since she was the only one of the Fellowship to have visited the destination before. “You’ll find mainly Dominators there though there are also other Dark Oval races passing through if they pay the Dominators a toll. You’ll also find the various races the Dominators have conquered but have now been enlisted on their front lines and there receive some additional privileges in traveling around the Dominion.”

“The bottom line is,” said Cobalt Kid cutting in, “we cannot be scene there. We need to refuel and then get out. So most of us, unfortunately, have to stay on the ship.”

At those words, just about everyone of them moaned a little, annoyed that they’d be stuck on board for even longer.

“I know,” said Cobalt, “but that’s the way it is. Timberwolf and Tempest can handle this, and Invisible Brainiac can be by their side in secret.”

“I think I’d be of some use here,” said Kalla Hrykos to Cobalt Kid directly. Her tone was not harsh but it was definitely forceful. “My glamour kept me hidden on Legion World for months undetected—it certainly should do the trick for half an hour on Xom. With another form, I think I’d be more useful than some others,” she said.

The Fellowship looked at Cobalt, wondering if this would turn into some sort of power struggle. Cobalt preferred to save that battle for later if need be, and acquiesced. “Certainly, that makes sense. You can join Tempest and IB then.” He quickly decided that if she was to go, he’d make sure it was not with Timberwolf, so she was forced to interact with the others.

She smiled and nodded. “Excellent.”

Lolita looked at Tempest to see what her reaction was to be spending time with Kalla, thinking the two did not get along. But despite her gift for analysis, Tempest did not let one her feelings one way or another.

Lard Lad turned to Timberwolf and noticed he looked a little annoyed. Cobalt evidently did not notice.

Timberwolf spoke now: “Cobie, why don’t the two of us back them up? We’ll linger behind, let them do their business but keep them in our line of sight. A few espionage veterans like ourselves can stay undetected.” Timberwolf’s tone implied this was something he really wanted Cobalt to do and Cobalt picked up on it right away.

“Good idea. Let’s prepare to dock then.”

Power Boy looked at Lard Lad and shook his head. “You mortals are amusing…” he said.

------------------

Xom, the Dominion

The space cruiser docked and the others remained inside, as Tempest, Kalla Hrykos and Invisible Brainiac—the latter invisible—journeyed outwards to the refueling station. Neither woman said a word though once outside of earshot, the others could see them conversing.

“I’d give more than a few credits to hear that conversation,” said Time-Teller Lad to Rockhopper Lad.

Timberwolf and Cobalt Kid also left the ship behind them, keeping their distance and subtly drifting into the crowd, and eventually the shadows. Cobalt wore his gray cloak and covered his face.

“Cobie,” said Timberwolf after some silence. “We really need to talk.”

Cobalt nodded in the dark. “I know,” he said. Silence followed for several moments. Finally Cobalt spoke: “I assume you knew about Invisible Brainiac?”

“Pretty much immediately,” said Timberwolf, suppressing a grin. “I assume you knew I knew?” he said back to Cobalt.

“Of course,” replied Cobalt with his own smile. Neither said it but both were amused by the exchange of dialogue because it summed up their professional relationship perfectly. For years now, the two acted in secret, involved in espionage and spy games around the galaxies. They trusted one another implicitly—and for each one, that was a major, major thing because trust did not come easy, if at all, for them.

Yet, just because they trusted one another did not mean their conversations were frank and full of explanations. Cobalt was man who lived in secrets and often he would forego explaining things to people, including his own trusted agent, Lon. He left things out, he didn’t confirm and he didn’t offer up truths. But he knew Timberwolf would learn these things on his own, and he trusted Timberwolf completely would do exactly the right thing when he gained that knowledge. Right thing meaning, what Cobalt would do.

Likewise, Timberwolf fully expected Cobalt to keep secrets, maintain facades and offer little in terms of explanations. But he trusted him completely and knew their motivations were squarely in line. He also knew he would use his skills to learn what he needed to—or what he wanted to—and Cobalt would understand and expect that.

It wasn’t a game and it wasn’t fun. It was how they were and it worked.

And then came Kalla Hrykos.

Somewhere along the way Timberwolf and Kalla Hrykos had fallen in love and those feelings were genuine. Love was an unexpected, illogical and uncompromising thing.

Cobalt hated Kalla Hrykos and saw her as nothing but a killer and nemesis to the LMB and Legion World. If it were up to him, he would use her for all she was worth and then destroy her. His LMB brethren only knew Cobalt’s true feelings to his enemies to a certain extent, not realizing how far he would actually go. But Timberwolf knew. He knew exactly how far he’d go.

Timberwolf had two loyalties now: to the love of his life, Kalla Hrykos, and to the ideals he shared with Cobalt. And the two appeared to be in conflict.

“Invisible Brainiac was a good play,” said Timberwolf. “Powerful, loyal and one of the few truly pure of heart.” Cobalt nodded. “And his powerset is exactly what you need to counter Kalla.”

“Exactly,” said Cobalt, not hiding anything. “I couldn’t trust her, afterall.”

Cobalt’s frankness with Timberwolf was welcome yet Timberwolf couldn’t help but be annoyed at his friend talking about the love of his life like that. “Cobie,” he said, “what are you intentions with Kalla?” It was the question of all questions and it had come out at last.

Cobalt looked strait ahead and considered his reply. “I certainly don’t intend for her to rule the Dark Oval once we take it down,” he said at first. “Not Earth-4, not the Dominion, not any of the other powers.” He knew that was only a partial answer, but he asked a question back. “What are yours?” he said, offering a loaded question.

Timberwolf felt annoyed by the lack of an answer and as one of the most dangerous men in the galaxy, his mood changing would mean Cobalt was entering very dangerous territory. “Cobie…” he said, considering his next words, “…I’m with you all the way on this…but if you think I’ll let her be killed…”

Cobalt felt the tension rising but suddenly, something caught his eye. His focus suddenly shifted; he was a man who was not surprised easily yet now his jaw dropped. And red fury filled his face.

Timberwolf noticed immediately and looked forward. He recognized the Dominator in their sight from the shadows. “Outcaste,” he said quietly.

----------------

From his earliest days in the LMB, one of Cobalt Kid’s most well-known girlfriends was known as Debauchery Damsel. She was Erika Kr’n, a famous socialite who partied hard with the early LMB and by helping Cobalt gain his “lady’s man” reputation, ruined her own. After the first year of partying with the Legionnaires, she eventually left Earth, her reputation in tatters, and journeyed elsewhere in the United Planets. She eventually drifted to Ventura, where she became immersed in gambling debts, and soon after, became hooked on lotus fruit. Hers was not a pleasant story.

In the LMB’s second year, Erika got herself involved in an even worse predicament. To get herself out of debt, she became involved in selling UP secrets on the black market, and eventually, the buyers turned out to be the Dominators.

At her lowest point, she turned to her one time boyfriend, Cobalt Kid. He stepped in to help her but ultimately, failed and was caught instead. It was then that after a year of gambling, drugs and betrayal, Debauchery Damsel regained her composure and did something heroic: she saved him from the Dominators. But it cost her a great price: her life.

The Dominator who killed her was a scientist who hated humanoid aliens. Using his experimental brain-defiler, he blasted her and rendered her brain dead, and took great pleasure in it. Later, he would experiment on himself to become an Unkillable, but in doing so, brought on great consternation from his Dominator peers. He thought he was on the cutting edge of science; they thought he had crossed a line and become unpure. They stripped him of his rank and citizenship and proclaimed him to no longer be a member of the Caste. Hereafter, he was known as “Outcaste”.

Outcaste had not seen Cobalt Kid and the LMB since murdering Erika Kr’n in the year 3001. He never knew that in Cobalt Kid’s heart, there was a burning hatred for him and that one day, Cobalt Kid swore he would get his revenge. Outcaste did not know that because of his actions, Cobalt Kid has a personal hatred for the Dominators; it was a hatred that influenced all of his decisions when it came to the Dark Oval, for Cobalt felt he was duty bound to gain vengeance on them. These were things no one knew.

And now, Cobalt Kid saw Outcaste for the first time and recognized him immediately despite the similarity to the other Dominators.

-----------------------

“At last,” said Cobalt under his breath. When Cobalt was overcome with fury, he had an odd tendency to become very cold and unemotional. He did not scream with rage or act uncontrollably. He became very measured. It was his most disconcerting temperament.

“Cobie,” said Timberwolf immediately. “You can’t. I know you want to, but you simply can’t. Too much relies on it now.”

Cobalt stared forward. “We could probably take him out if we followed him to where he was going,” said Cobalt. “The two of us have unfinished business.”

Timberwolf knew he had mere moments to sort this out and took a different approach. “It comes down to this then, doesn’t it?” he said angrily. “Do you practice what you preach?”

Cobalt turned to him, his face cold and angry. “What do you mean?”

“You expect us all to sacrifice everything, even love. You claim its for the greater good and you convince us to believe in it. But do you actually believe it? Would you sacrifice our safety—the entire quest—for a moment of revenge?”

Cobalt said nothing.

“Well?” Timberwolf pushed. He was no longer just feigning anger—he was really feeling it.

Cobalt exhaled, taking control of himself. “No,” he said at last. “No, I wouldn’t.”

Neither said nothing now as Cobalt regained his composure. Outcaste soon went out of view. At last the silence broke. “My intentions with Kalla…” said Cobalt, as if the conversation was never interrupted, “…are at this point, unclear,” he said at last. “I know what I can’t let happen—won’t let happen—but I don’t know what must happen.”

Timberwolf nodded. “Okay,” he said at last.

“What I don’t want,” said Cobalt directly to him now, looking eye to eye, “is for us to be at odds.”

Timberwolf looked back. “I hope it never comes to that.”

As they looked ahead, they saw Tempest and Kalla Hrykos beginning to return. Without a word, the two began to move back to the space cruiser.

“Lon,” said Cobalt, as Timberwolf turned back. “Thank you,” he said.

Timberwolf grinned and turned back.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dominion Space, The Dark Oval

Soon after Cobalt Kid and the others had returned to the cruiser and the Fellowship had resumed their course toward the Dominion, Lard Lad had finally taken his friend aside and filled him in on everything that Lucifer Lass and Eryk Davis Ester had told him on Sumra.

After he’d finished, Lardy saw a look on Cobalt’s face he never expected to see: one of doubt and uncertainty. It was a look that very few who knew Cobalt had ever seen him have. Not only was there a kind of haze in his eyes, but his posture was different, with his shoulders slightly slumped. What Lardy had said was totally unexpected for him. Cobalt Kid simply did not do ‘unexpected‘.

“Look, Des,” Lardy spoke up after a long pause, “it’s no big deal. We’ve got grand-pappy’s eyeball, and we know what we need to do at least.” Lardy held up his locket for emphasis.

“I know, Lardy,” Cobalt replied, “but I was so sure I knew who the Dark Lord was…”

“You thought it was Pornis, didn’t you,” Lardy asserted as the realization dawned on him. “When were you gonna share your suspicion with me?”

“When I was absolutely sure, Lardy. I didn’t want to put you through that for nothing.”

“Des, I’m a big boy, okay? I’m also your best friend! You know you can trust me, right? I…even told you about those dreams…”

“You’re right again, of course. I…I need to tell you about C.J. Did Lucy or Eryk mention him?”

Lardy was confused. “C.J. Taylor?” Cobalt nodded. “No, they didn’t.” Lardy thought for a moment about C.J., the mysterious LMBer known as Enigma. “What about him?”

“I’m pretty certain he’s your and Eryk’s half-brother, Lardy. I’ve suspected for a long time that he was another son of Pornis, and I’ve been collecting evidence over the past few years.”

Lardy was aghast. “Well, damn, Des--my family tree just keeps getting bigger and more complicated! Next thing you know, I’ll have cousins, twice removed, showing up and looking to squat in the Lair!" He chuckled nervously and asked the obvious follow-up question. "So...if Pornis is the dad, then who’s C.J.'s mom?”

“I suspect it’s Mala.”

“Mala?!?” Lardy was taken aback. Mala was the mother of two women who’d each had a great impact on his life. Dru was his wife and perhaps his greatest love. Mordra was the worst enemy he’d ever had. Mordra had driven Lardy to kill her, and Mala bore part of the responsibility for Dru’s murder. Another person Lardy had killed was Mala’s ex-husband (and Dru and Morda’s father) Mordru in the aftermath of Dru’s death. Mala’s current husband was Romaltus, Cobalt’s uncle and betrayer of Epsilon Sector. Finally, Lardy said bluntly, “I guess she gets around.”

“Definitely!” Cobalt agreed with a slight grin. “We’ll get to her and my uncle before all is said and done. Meanwhile, I‘ve got people protecting C.J. Your revelation of who the Dark Lord is doesn‘t lessen the potential danger to him or to the rest of your family.”

“Yeah, I’m glad that Helen and the kids are with Dev’s family and Darden.” Lardy remembered his 'dream' about them and hoped all were safe.

He noticed that Cobalt was beginning to normalize some. His eyes were more confident and his posture had resumed its normal state. But Lardy noted what he’d observed. It was subtle but scary for him because Lardy had had to lean on his friend as a pillar of strength through all of Lardy’s seemingly endless travails. He knew Cobalt desired control over all things and that there was no way a mission as dangerous and complex as this one would go according to plan. Cobalt might need him this time. Lardy hoped he wouldn’t let his friend down if it came to that.

Cobalt broke the silence. “Lardy, I just wanted you to know that I’m happy that you’ve had a chance to connect with Lucy and Eryk. I know that means a lot to you.”

“Yeah,” Lardy replied, “I’m feeling pretty lucky, these days. Two great kids, long lost siblings poppin' up left and right…and I've got the best friend in the universe, bar none.” He put his hand on Cobalt’s shoulder for a moment. “Now, let’s get back to the others before they suspect we’re making out!”

Both laughed, and Lardy was the first to exit. Cobalt lingered for an extra moment. His grin turned into a frown, and the uncertain look his friend had observed returned again. He shook his head, composed himself and followed his friend into the main passenger area.

[ June 04, 2011, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
Timber Wolf was dozing lightly aboard the cruiser when he felt a hand brushing gently against his cheek.

“Whuh?” he said wearily and opened his eyes. He already knew whose touch had roused him from her scent. But even without enhanced senses, a man knows the touch of his lady.

“It’s time, Lon,” said Kalla Hrykos.

He nodded, and the couple adjourned to the relative privacy of the small room they’d used to discuss their trust issues the previous day.

As he closed the door, Kalla embraced him tightly, and he reciprocated. I hope this isn’t the last time he welcomes my touch after what I have to tell him, she thought.

She reluctantly broke their embrace and looked around furtively. “Lon...do you think this room is secure?”

“Give me some credit, Kalla. If there were any bugs in here, I’d sense its minute workings. This room is clean!”

“Even Cobalt...?”

“...doesn’t have any tech or tricks that could fool me!” he laughed. “I’m the best there is at what I d--”

“Oh, hush, Fuzzy--your bragging is insufferable!” She giggled as she teased him. In actuality, his bragging kind of turned her on...and he knew it! Her smile faded quickly, though, as she struggled with the weight and possible consequences of what she was about to say.

Lon sensed Kalla’s tension. Again, it didn’t take superhuman senses for him to notice this. If you’re part of a couple long enough, it comes easily. He didn’t want her to suffer working up her nerve, so he took her hands into his and said, “just tell me, Kalla.”

“Oh, Fuzzy, it’s hard for me. I’m on the edge of a cliff, and I’m about to either jump off--or you’ll want to push me off!”

“Either way, I’ll catch you,” he assured her while looking her right in the eyes. “I promise.”

She nodded, took a deep breath and began. “First of all, Lon. That thing you intercepted--it wasn’t a betrayal. Juj is following my orders to the letter. I have operatives among the resistance on Earth-4, and they are executing a secret mission on my behalf.” She paused and hesitated before continuing.

“What’s the nature of the mission?” he urged her to continue.

“It’s a contingency mission, Lon...one I’d planned before I ever came to Legion World to find Lard Lad. The contingency was originally designed to take out another member of the Dark Oval Elite. Lard Lad had already taken out Dominion’s Pinnacle Command and replaced him with Juj, as you know. The next step was for him to replace Wyandotte in the Hive. Then, Lard Lad ‘died‘, and that portion of the plan was put on hold indefinitely.”

“When the existence of a rebellion on Earth-4 came to our attention, Juj, Phe’Be and I saw an opportunity to move against the Emperor Pyngwyn and supported their insurgency with intel, weapons and funding. With that ’in’ to their rebellion, it was simplicity for Juj to insert some of his fellow Durlans and have them blend in. Eventually, we were able to get in the components of a very powerful weapon to Earth-4, with the goal to eventually assemble and position it so it could be used...most effectively.”

“What kind of weapon are we talking here, Kalla? Some kind of biological agent? A dirty bomb? Chemical? What is it?”

Kalla broke eye contact and shook her head. “You know what a nega-bomb is, I trust?”

Lon’s jaw dropped just a little, and his eyes couldn’t help but widen ever so slightly. Despite his training, he could not help but react just a little. “Nega-bombs? Caracalla used those to destroy the old Black Sun planet before he founded the Khanate! You didn’t--!”

“Yes, Lon,” she said quietly, “we got a hold of an especially powerful one. My operatives are placing it near Earth-4’s core. If set off...it would likely destroy Earth-4.”

Lon shut his eyes for a moment. His mind was racing through the possibilities. There was a nega-bomb at the center of the planet that they were eventually going to. This was not something that he would have anticipated, and that bothered him almost more than the gravity of the situation.

When he finally opened his eyes a few seconds later, Kalla could have sworn it had been hours.

"Well," he said finally, "guess you weren't planning on keeping Earth-4 as a vacation spot, huh." He managed a half grin.

Her eyes widened, and she felt a wave of relief, but not a fully realized sense of relief because his face showed concern as well.

"I cannot say that this wrinkle thrills me darling, but it is what it is. Obviously, Cobalt cannot know about this...under any circumstances...not that you were going to run an tell him. This would put him over the edge with you."

Kalla started relaxing a bit more at the implications of what he was saying. He was taking this extremely well!

"What is the trigger system, and who has it?" Lon asked.

"The leader of the infiltration squad carries a subspace transmitter. It can only be activated if myself, Juj or Phe'Be transmit the code to him. No one else knows the code."

She looked down for a moment. "Lon, our intent was always to use it. But more and more, I'm thinking I don't really want to." She looked into his eyes. "I would rather use it as a deterrant...and as leverage should Cobalt think about stabbing me in the back. Lon, I can't lose Hrykosia! It's my birthright...and my home."

"I know honey. I haven't figured out how yet, but don't worry about that end of this whole thing right now. Cobie does not want you in power...but there may be ways around that. Leave that to me...okay?"

He reached out and took her hand.

"Trust me. You'll not lose Hrykosia. I promise you that. There may be a way to pull this off that is beneficial to everyone," he said as he drew her in and kissed her.

After a moment, they embraced and Kalla lay her head on his shoulder. She felt happy and content having shared her burden with the man she loved. Whatever would happen, from this point she would always be honest with Lon. She whispered to him softly, "no more secrets."

And she meant it.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As the journey continued on, much of the tension slowly had left the room, and even a sense of boredom settled in with some of the Fellowship. Until at long last, the words they were waiting for had been spoke. It was Helena Handbasket who spoke them: “We’re now approaching Hul.”

Lard Lad sat up strait from the back, as Rockhopper Lad shook off some of his sleepiness. Cobalt Kid, who had been going over mission details with Lolita, looked forward and stood up.

“It begins shortly,” said Cobalt. “Everything we do must be timed perfectly; we have to be surgical and totally proficient. We get one shot at this, and if we fail, then its time to pack up and go home because the entire quest relies on us achieving this goal.”

-------------------------

The Dominion was one-fifth of the Dark Oval, and it was the largest fifth. Over the centuries, the Dominators had carved out a vast empire of planets which they controlled, many which were completely subservient to them, and others that acted as vassal-states with their own subservient planets. The Dominators themselves, other than delegates and overseers on those controlled planets; while there was almost three dozen planets within the territory, the Dominators only lived on three of them.

The capital of the Dominion was Elia, the home-planet of the Dominators, which was still the cultural and social center. Elia was where the High Caste Leader kept his residence, and where all the high born castes were. However, decades earlier, Elia had become more of a symbol than an actual base of operations.

The real political, administrative and military capital was Hul, which was positioned much closer to the United Planets and the Contested Territories. Hul was where all of the military brass lived and worked, and was where the vast Dominator empire was administered. Communications and orders came top-down from Elia, but they were acted on and put into effect on Hul. If one could control Hul, one could gain the Dominion.

The Dominators were ruthless, logical and beyond all else, efficient. While they were not the greatest warriors on the battlefield, they were certainly the greatest strategists in waging war. To overtake them relied completely on surprise; you would have to outflank them rather than meet them on the battlefield.

“Hul is a vast planet,” said Lolita to the Fellowship, “but its mostly wasteland. The majority of the population lives in a large military center, which is where we’ll be going. The barracks, which houses the majority of their foot soldiers, is several miles away from the Command Center, where we’ll be engaging in our mission. So initially, we won’t have much resistance; the longer it takes to complete our mission, the more danger we are in, as hundreds of soldiers—possibly thousands—we’ll be on route. So time is not on our side.”

“We will split into two groups,” said Cobalt Kid. “The first group is a ‘shock and awe’ group with the intentions of providing a decoy distraction; this is where our heavy hitters will do some damage. Rockhopper Lad and Lard Lad will lead Shark Lad, Power Boy, Tempest and Invisible Brainiac”. He looked at them all. “I suspect after the initial surprise and damage is done, they’ll come at you hard with their own brand of weaponry. We know their major assets are (A) technology and (B) their super-army of Unkillables, mutated super-soldiers with advanced strength, speed and endurance. How many are actually on Hul is information that we have been unable to collect.”

As Cobalt spoke, the “heavy hitters” looked around and nodded at one another. Power Boy smiled at Lard Lad, ready for battle, and Lard Lad couldn’t help but return the smile feeling his enthusiasm. Tempest said nothing, considering in her mind what her own plan of attack would be. Shark Lad, who had been couped up for what felt like weeks, couldn’t wait to unleash. Invisible Brainiac looked to Rockhopper Lad, LMB Leader, and followed his lead; Rockhopper Lad stood strait up and said nothing, waiting for Cobalt to finish his report to them.

“The second group will be about stealth; infiltrating the Command Center and bringing down the Dominion. With me will be Time-Teller Lad, Lolita, Helena Handbasket, Timberwolf and Kalla Hrykos.” Cobalt finished, but the Fellowship waited and said nothing. Cobalt had referred to his plan several times but until now, he had not revealed it in full. Lolita suspected it was because he didn’t trust Kalla Hrykos; Timberwolf knew it was because he didn’t trust anyone.

He continued. “Our mission is three-fold,” he said. “First, bring down their technology; second, break down their communication and chain of command; and last, we open up the Dominion to outside invaders, giving them entry all the way to Hul for the first time in one thousand years. General Bellassarius of the UP and other allies are on standby to begin the invasion at our signal.”

Lolita spoke up now, supplementing Cobalt’s explanation. “The Dominators will fall but it won’t take them long to regroup. As the UP forces begin their invasion and the Dark Oval now is fighting a war within their own territory, we will exit the Dominion and move forward. But this blitzkrieg strategy will effectively take the Dominion out of the game.”

Kalla Hrykos, who over the course of the last few weeks felt the tension between herself and Cobalt Kid growing, couldn’t help but admire the strategy. When engaged in these military and espionage matters, Cobalt Kid was cold, calculating and almost heartless in his logic. He was creating a second front for the war, putting trillions of lives in peril. Perhaps they were not so different after all?

On Hul, in the barren wasteland beyond the Dominator military city, were numerous quarries of rocks, creating a jagged terrain that was uninviting and cruel. Life could not survive in this vast sector of Hul. Yet, one living being spent time there now.

Titus sat in quiet contemplation, patiently waiting for events to progress. He looked at the many stars and could not help but suppress a smile to his lips. Great, awful violence was coming. The titillation caused by the waiting was arousing.

The Legionnaires were an intelligent, brave and lucky bunch. But they had not counted on him.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Weber’s World,
The United Planets

Spellbinder walked through the hallways of Weber’s World, en route to the Senate to once again give an update on the state of the Universe and discuss / debate the next steps. There was progress on many fronts, while in other places, such as Imsk, there was the opposite. With so many Ambassadors away on business, she was amazed at how empty the halls were.

“Damn you Princess,” said a voice, causing her to turn and see the magnificent looking Ambassador Mirenna Helene. “Going on no sleep for three days and still looking positively divine.”

Princess Crujectra bowed, as was polite, but did not say anything. She liked Mirenna quite a bit, but was always cautious around someone so dangerous. “I’m glad you’re back Ambassador,” she said at last. “Things are still very touch and go, and at this time, Bellisarius continues to hold a large portion of his troops in reserve.”

“I’m aware,” said Mirenna. “I believe our suspicions are correct.”

Spellbinder replied, knowing what she meant immediately: “he’s waiting from a signal from Cobie to begin the invasion. He’s willing to sacrifice the UP’s safety to gain his glory in the Dark Oval at long last.”

“Let’s just hope he’s successful then,” said Mirenna.

Crujectra watched as Mirenna walked away, again surprised by her calculating way. She wondered if her influence on Cobie was more than she originally thought.

Ducking down a hallway that was empty, Princess Crujectra took a moment to do her own check on the progress of events in the Dark Oval. She concentrated very deeply, searching out with her telepathy across the galaxies to find the one person she was most connected to.

Cobalt Kid and Spellbinder shared a telepathic link—something so strong that many believed it was the equivalent of spiritual marriage. With a super-powerful telepath like Crujectra, it meant the link extended even beyond planets, though the distance between Weber’s World and the Dark Oval was so far that it was close to breaking. Still, she could feel the faintest hints of the link and it gave her some relief. He was alive, and he was well. She could detect his adrenaline was up, which could mean a number of things; but she was sure it was likely danger.

She was already very worried for him, and their other LMB allies, but this reinforced the worry. She could only hope the danger was his own doing and his plan was working. In the meantime, all she could do was help the United Planets.

--------------------------

United Planets Space – Gathering of the UP Fleets

General Bellasarius waited patiently, his crew knowing by now not to disturb him. He overlooked the monitors which pointed outwards, beyond the United Planets and the Contested Territories and the Dark Oval. It was almost time now and he was as ready as ever.

The wait was killing him. He was a patient man but had his limits. Soon, he told himself. Soon. The signal would be given and the counter-invasion would begin. The war would gain a second front, this one right where the Dark Oval least desired it, in their homes.

It was a gamble, holding many of his fleets in reserve for this opportunity, while the citizens of the UP suffered from invasion. But if they could bring the fight to the Dominators and the rest of the Oval, and cause some real damage, it would be worth it. And then his name would be held in the highest esteem and the glory of the fall of the Dark Oval would be his.

Outside of the office, the elder soldier known as Kilrain checked in on the General but said nothing. He was his subordinate but also his friend. And he worried about the gamble the General was taking.

United Planets Space – LMBP Cruiser

“Things look grim,” said Dedman, looking at the monitor screens. “Daroon appears to be the epicenter of the worst of it. But the fighting is all over.”

“Legion World seems to be okay,” said Maxx, “for now. No real disturbances yet. We’re all spread so thin, I’ll take that as good news.”

Four LMBers were on board a ship, off on a mission only the LMB Leader, Rockhopper Lad, Deputy Leader Fanfic Lady, and Cobalt Kid knew about. They were Crusader, LMB Founder, Maxx, his sorcerer lover, Dedman, and Kid Vudoo.

“Legion World still has several LMBers present,” said Crusader, who was piloting the ship, “and the citizens there have proved tougher than we’ve given them credit there before. But what really worries me is the rest of the UP. Something needs to happen, and soon. I hope this gamble Cobalt Kid has taken pays off.”

They all nodded and Dedman replies. “I hate sitting here waiting, but I know it will be important. When the signal comes, we’ll enter the Oval and retrieve her,” he said. “And then we can be go help the UP wherever we’re needed.”

“Exactly,” said Crusader. “We need to ensure the safety of one of our own first.” He turned to the fourth member of their crew. “See anything Vu?”

“Not yet,” said Kid Vudoo, using his vision abilities to see far into the Dark Oval, beyond the planets and stars, meteor swarms and other debris. “The battle on Hul has not yet begun.”

“Then we wait longer,” said Crusader.

Café Carmer,
Legion World

“Caramel Macchiato coming right up,” said the girl at the counter at Café Cramer, turning to make the drink the patron had ordered.

Standing in line was the infamous Umber, Legion World socialite and perhaps its greatest shopper.

“Your usual, Umber?” said Fat Cramer, leaping onto the counter in her cat form. In this form she was small in size, but her reputation and the respect she from the citizens of Legion World was still immense. She was the owner of this establishment, one of the most famous on Legion World.

“Lulz, of course!” she said, with a giggle.

Fat Cramer found it amusing but did not reply, continuing to walk across the counter and then jumping down into the Café, walking across to another famous patron, seated at a booth. “Good morning, Lash,” she said.

“Hey FC,” he said back with a smile. He was trying to blend in but it was difficult as people were staring.

“Still watching her, then?” she asked him.

“Yup,” he said. “And I’m beginning to suspect I’m not the only one…”

Lash Lad didn’t continue but Fat Cramer took the hint. Umber was being followed by someone dangerous.

United Planets Space – Aboard a UP Cruiser

The four LMBers on board had been silent for some time, each thinking their own thoughts on why CJ Taylor was so important to the Dominators. They had their own theories—like many other LMBers had their own theories on CJ’s origins—but they did not voice them. At last, the silence was broke.

“Where exactly are we going, Space Ranger?” said CJ Taylor to mighty LMBer, who was standing by My Whee Fem, the pilot of the cruiser. “You said ‘somewhere safe’, but what does that mean exactly?”

“Yea Pard,” said Raging Bull, “we been with ya for a few days now and we still have no clue. Mind letting us know what the big plan is?”

Space Ranger replied: “we’re off to see a friend of ours,” he said. “And then, I’m afraid your journey continues alone, CJ.”

Raging Bull and CJ Taylor looked at each other with their eyebrows raised. “Don’t like the sound of that…” said Raging Bull, but CJ said nothing.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hul, the Dominion
The Dark Oval

Hul was a vast network of command centers and military bases, housing a never-ending series of Dominators who worked efficiently at their jobs of maintaining and expanding their vast empire of subservient and brutalized races. The Dominators were so focused and proficient at their tasks that it was difficult for them to be distracted. And for the first time, this proved invaluable to agents of the United Planets.

Timberwolf, one of the greatest espionage agents in the known and unknown space, led half of the Fellowship forward through the shadows and out of sight. Behind him followed the others: Kalla Hrykos, Cobalt Kid, Lolita, Time-Teller Lad and Helena Handbasket. The two groups of the Fellowship had parted ways hours earlier and the other half of the group lie in wait. At the predetermined time, they would ‘unleash hell’ on the military structure of Hul and set a series of events into motion.

“Eighteen minutes, forty-two seconds,” said Time-Teller Lad in a whisper to Cobalt Kid, alerting him to the time before the coordinated strike began.

Cobalt nodded. They were slightly ahead of schedule which was good. He turned to Helena Handbasket, who was also by his side. “Plant not slowing you down?”

She grinned, which told him ‘no’. “I hope you don’t expect me to carry this throughout the entire Dark Oval,” she replied, “especially since I don’t know why we’re bringing the Dominators a house-warming gift.”

Cobalt smiled back. “You won’t be carrying it much longer,” he said. “And the only gifts I ever bring anyone are Trojan Horses,” he added.

Up ahead, Lolita noticed two Dominator guards blocking the path. To go around them meant risking exposure in the light and being picked up by cameras or motion detectors. Up until now they hadn’t had that problem—now they would have to confront them. “How should we…” she began to Kalla Hrykos, who was near her.

“Shh, child,” said Kalla Hrykos, not looking back but holding her hand to cut off her words. “Just watch.”

Ahead, Timberwolf took out the took guards in one fluid motion that was so fast, Lolita wasn’t completely sure how he did it. She was also unsure if he rendered them unconscious of killed them. With Timberwolf, you never knew.

--------------

Fifteen minutes later, the Fellowship reached a critical intersection in the thoroughfare. “It’s about time to make our move,” said Cobalt Kid to them.

Lolita explained for Cobalt. “Up ahead is the key command center and control room, which directs and supervises control of all Dominator fleets, flight plans and communication. It also is the key point in the chain of command from Elia to the troops. Our goal will be to take it completely, and from there, Cobie has something he will do.”

“How do you have this intel?” asked Helena.

Lolita answered: “our new ally helped us in this regard.” Lolita blatantly giving Kalla Hyrkos the credit made her feel good. Until now, Cobalt Kid had not openly disclosed exactly how valuable her intel had been in the Dark Oval.

“So we’ll be going in a matter of minutes,” said Helena.

“Seconds actually,” said Time-Teller Lad.

“Not everyone,” said Cobalt Kid, surprising them. “Timberwolf has his own mission while we accomplish this. A critical element has to be taken off the board.”

“What?” said Lolita, surprised. “You didn’t mention…”

She looked over and by now, Timberwolf was already gone.

“Fifteen seconds,” said Time-Teller Lad.

“But where…?”

“Timberwolf’s job is Pinnacle Command now,” said Cobalt. “We’ll have to bring down the Command Center without him. Don’t worry though, I’m sure we’ll have plenty of fun,” he smiled and then turned to Time-Teller Lad.

“Now,” said Time-Teller Lad in almost a whisper.

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
With the assault on the military base about to commence, SharkLad found his thoughts wandering back to his last moments with Lolita. After Cobalt Kid had announced the division in the groups, SharkLad had pulled Lolita aside to talk.

“Say, what’s wrong? I thought you’d be itching to fight,” Lolita said.

“I am, I just didn’t count on us getting separated.”

“Aw, ya big lug, are you actually worried about me? Look, I can take care of myself. I did for a long time before you were ever in the picture,” Lolita said teasingly. “Besides, I’ll be with—”

“Cobalt. Exactly. Convenient that you ended up with him.”

“Now, wait a minute. You go from being concerned about my safety to being jealous about me and Cobalt? You’re being ridiculous!”

“Am I? Then why don’t you join my team?” SharkLad asked.

“Your team? I don’t fit in there. I’m better suited to the other mission.”

“Yeah, with Cobalt.”

“Is this really how you want things to go down between us before you head out? You’re about to get into something pretty heavy, and you need to keep your head in the game.”

“Sounds like you care more about the mission than you do about us.”

“Ya know what? I’m done. You can think whatever you want. When this is all over, you’ll see just how ridiculous you’re being!” Lolita said angrily.

Lolita then stormed off, and now, as SharkLad and the others prepared for their assault on the military base, he couldn’t help but wonder how he let himself get so worked up.

"Something ain't right with me lately," SharkLad said to himself with a low growl.

“Hey, Sharky! You ready?” called Lard Lad suddenly.

“Yeah, I’m ready,” SharkLad answered, glad for the distraction from his thoughts.

SharkLad lumbered towards the others.

“Gotta keep my head clear,” he mumbled to himself.

Power Boy punched SharkLad in the shoulder.

“This is it, man. Are we going to see you go all 'frenzy' out there?”

“You know it," SharkLad answered. "Just say ‘go.’”

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
LMBP Headquarters...

“Ohmygod! What's like happening in there?” Everyday Girl reached Outdoor Miner's side a split second ahead of Lash, “and what do the Xanth Books have to do with it?”

“Nothing is happening right now, time is 'frozen' in there. But it's bad, real bad.” OM looked around the assembled group, his compound eyes glazed from the effort required to negate the distance between the hallway and the office and pass through the Chronal Energy Barrier. “We only get one shot to fix this people, It'll take all I've got to get in there again.”

Lash looked down at the obviously shaken Miner, “We need more info here pal, Xanth? Real Bad? Those things don't tell me much.”

“The staffer was a plant, an assassin, a good one. Lightning Lad is down, looks dead, crushed skull. Fanfic has a stiletto in her throat, still upright. Looks like she called up this kid, calls himself 'The Dastaro' or something like that, at the last second. Problem is; he thinks I'm some kind of 'monster' and is demanding to see the 'princesses' before he'll do anything more than he has.”

Lash, Ram Boy, and OM all turned to look at Brit & Emily. “I've read most of the Xanth Books,” Ram Boy started “this guy could be 'The Dastard.' If he is; you two are our best shot at getting him to help.”

“Selfish, arrogant, little punk that can rewind time and change the outcome of things that have recently happened? That was the only Xanth book I hated.” Emily spat, “And we need to vamp the little creep? Get him to rewind whatever happened in there... And... then what?”

“Ohmygod, Fanfie like sends him back to wherever and we get on with like figuring out who's pulling the strings on all this junk.” Brit turned back to Miner, “Whenever you're like ready OM.”

Miner nodded and a transport circle opened on the wall, “Push yourselves through. The Chronal Energy Barrier makes it difficult but as long as you don't stop you'll make it. If nothing happens in the next ten minutes I'll send in help.”

Everyday Girl stepped onto the circle. Normally the transition through one of Outdoor Miner's circles was as effortless as walking through a doorway, simply step over the threshhold and enter the next room, no matter how far away that room was in the real universe. But this time it felt as if someone had 'saran wrapped' the doorway. Brit could see into Fanfic Lady's office but something invisible, but pliable, impeded her progress with a clinging softness that slowed her movements and prevented her from exiting the 'doorway.' She could feel Red Arrow behind her pushing against the same soft resistence. “How much further?” Emily's voice sounded tired, “Just a little bit, keep pushing!”

They broke through with a little pop sound effect just as Miner's transport circle faded away. “What would happen to us if we were still inside?” Emily asked quietly as she automatically took a defensive stance on Brit's right side. Both girls scanned the frozen scene in the room quickly. Lightning Lad lay face down in front of Fanfic Lady's desk. The right side of his head was a caved in, bloody mess. A petite but muscular girl was in the process of thrusting a slender knife into Fanfic Lady's throat. And behind that eerie still scene; an oddly dressed, dark eyed, young man stood quietly watching them.

“Who are you?” He asked quietly. “Where did the bug monster go?”

“Ohmygod! He's like not a monster...” Everyday Girl began only to be cut off by Red Arrow.

“You're a Magician. You can rewind time to control events. You can undo what's happened here,” Emily made a sweeping motion with her bow to indicate the scene at Fanfic Lady's desk. “Rewind it to before the girl attacks them. We'll take care of things from there.”

“What's in it for me?” His dark eyes flashed as he shot the question back at Red Arrow. “Why should I do anything? All I have to do is release my time freeze and walk out of here. I doubt you two girls could stop me.”

“You let Fanfie die... You'll probably die right with her,” Red Arrow replied. “She brought you here. Her power is what sustains you. She dies you go... POOF!”

An odd look crossed the young man's face. He turned slightly and studied Fanfic Lady's face for a second. Then he traced something neither Red Arrow nor Everyday Girl could see in the air between him and Fanfie. “You might be right.” He muttered at Red Arrow, “There is a magic line running from her to me. I can't take the chance.” He made an odd gesture and stepped back away from Fanfic's desk. “Stay Clear of the magic. Tell me when things have gone far enough backwards.”

The scene began to move slowly. The muscular girl pulled the knife out of Fanfie's throat and the wound closed behind the motion. Fanfie moved back into her chair as it came up from the floor to meet her. A silverale bottle filled with lead shot reassembled itself as Lightning Lad levitated in reverse from the floor to a chair. The bottle finished reassembling as LL head intersected it's arc in reverse and his crushed skull repaired itself. The bottle flipped through the muscular girl's hand and back onto a tray on Fanfie's desk. Lightning Lad watched with a slightly bemused look on his face as a cup of tea went back into the teapot.

“Stop!” Everyday Girl's voice rang loud and clear. “Nobody! No One! Take her down! Hard!”

The 18 inch tall versions of Cobalt Kid and Eryk Davis Ester appeared and swept the assasin's feet out from under her. Surprisingly she twisted and took the fall on her shoulder instead of hitting face first and kicked both of the figures away from her. She rolled and came up with the knife in one hand and leaped at Lightning Lad, slashing at his throat, only to be met by enough voltage to stun an elephant.

A half a second later the room was filled with LMBPers. Nobody noticed the oddly dressed dark eyed young man slipping out the back door...

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Lash reached Fanfic's side as the Assassin hit the floor. His whip at the ready. His eyes scanning the room for anything out of place anything that might present a further threat. A half second behind him Sam Pureheart and Tony Broadneck began to set up their portable Med-Lab next to Fanfic's desk while Ram Boy and Caliente both rushed to Lightning Lad's side. Lightning Lad, however, was in no mood to be coddled, he brushed past Cali and Ram Boy and went down on one knee next to the unconscious assassin. He rolled her onto her back and began examining her.

“Sebastian,” He he motioned for Question Lad to join him, “if you read her will you absorb any compulsions she's under?”

Question Lad hesitates slightly, "Possibly, but I doubt it."

“Are you willing to take that risk?” L.L. Pointed to a dead man switch laying on the carpet next to 'Emily Dickenson's' open hand. “We need to know who sent her and what backup she has in place. Because something is on it's way.”

Sebastian glanced at the switch then removed the glove from his right hand and took the unconscious woman's hand in his. As he made full skin to skin contact his head bowed, his eyes closed and everyone in the room collectively held their breath. He stayed frozen in that pose for almost a full minute before shaking his head slowly and looking away from the woman. “We should kill her now, before she recovers from the shock.” He reached for the knife laying on the floor a few inches away from the body. But before he could grab it a gossamer energy web covered it and Sam's hand closed on his wrist. “Nuh-huh, Rich Boy, no sharp objects for you.”

“Yo, Baby Chief, you bring an evidence bag with you?” Arachne's rich contralto voice erupted as a small spider expanded into a dark haired beauty. Her energy web contracted lifting the knife from the floor. “Don't touch the blade, it's got sixteen different kinds of nasty smeared on it.”

Everyday Girl practically bounced to Arachne's side. “Ohmygod! Miss Bug Lady! I thought you were like on leave hunting giant flies or some junk like that.” She held out the requested evidence bag and Arachne carefully placed the knife into it.

“Let me go! You imbecile!” Sebastian struggled trying to pull his hand free from Sam's grip. “You don't understand how dangerous she is... We can't let her live!”

Lightning Lad watched Sebastian's struggles for a moment then turned to Arachne “'Rache could you web up our friend there?” He pointed to Emily Dickenson's prone figure. “I've got a feeling she's a suicide risk.” He then walked over to where Sam was holding Question Lad. “Sea Bass! Get a hold of yourself!” He extended a finger and a bright spark jumped from it to Sebastian's chest. He convulsed for a second then went limp in Sam's grasp. “It's okay, I can control it.”

“Sebbie? You okay?” Red Arrow asked while quietly glaring at Lightning Lad.

“I'm alright, Em. He just jolted me enough to let me regain control.” He looked up at L.L.. “Thanks, I would have killed her. Just a scratch from that knife would have been enough.”

“What can you tell us about her?” Fanfic Lady asked. “And more importantly, who hired her?”

“Yeah, I want to have a little talk with that dude,” Lash cracked his whip.

“Her name is Tannis Bourne and she really is from Taltar. But her mother had a falling out with Thora years ago so her family moved to Rimbor where she was recruited by Dark Oval operatives. She's a member of one of their top assassination for hire squads, code named Silent Death. They were hired by someone here on Legion World - she doesn't know who - to kill several specific members of the LMBP. She was assigned to Fanfic Lady, other members of the squad were assigned other targets. Interestingly, each target has a bounty. Fanfic is worth 500 Million Credits. Lightning Lad is worth a Billion Credits.”

“Who Else is on the list and how much are they worth?”

“Rockhopper Lad, 500 Million; Cobalt Kid, 500 Million; Lard Lad, 500 Million; Nightcrawler, a Billion, Saturn Girl, a Billion; Princess Crujectra, a Billion; Umber, Two Billion; and Kid Prime, a Trillion Credits.”

“How many assassins in the squad?”

“Ten, all with different abilities.”

“Did you say UMBER?” Lash's voice was incredulous. “Why would Umber be on that list? Who hired these assassins?”

“She doesn't know. She met him along with the others in her squad but somehow he erased specific memories of that meeting. She knows who the targets are and what they are worth, but not much else.”

“What about backups? Henchmen?”

“Maddrox Clones, somewhere between 7 and 10 thousand of them.”

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Hul, the Dominion

Lolita was talking, “Up ahead is the key command center and control room, which directs and supervises control of all Dominator fleets, flight plans and communication. It also is the key point in the chain of command from Elia to the troops. Our goal will be to take it completely, and from there, Cobie has something he will do.”

Timberwolf saw an oopening in the ventaation system and jumped up to it. He made no noise as he lifted himself into the opening.

“How do you have this intel?” asked Helena.

Timberwolf quietly placed the grating back in place. He noticed that Kalla had turned around to ask him something...or maybe just smile at him, but he was gone. A smile crept onto his face. he had been standing less than three feet from her, and she had detected no movement, now heard anything as he left them.

Lolita answered: “our new ally helped us in this regard.” Lolita blatantly giving Kalla Hyrkos the credit made her feel good. Until now, Cobalt Kid had not openly disclosed exactly how valuable her intel had been in the Dark Oval.

“So we’ll be going in a matter of minutes,” said Helena.

“Seconds actually,” said Time-Teller Lad.

“Not everyone,” said Cobalt Kid, surprising them. “Timberwolf has his own mission while we accomplish this. A critical element has to be taken off the board.”

“What?” said Lolita, surprised. “You didn’t mention…”

She looked over and by now, Timberwolf was already gone.

“Fifteen seconds,” said Time-Teller Lad.

“But where…?”

“Timberwolf’s job is Pinnacle Command now,” said Cobalt. “We’ll have to bring down the Command Center without him. Don’t worry though, I’m sure we’ll have plenty of fun,” he smiled and then turned to Time-Teller Lad.

“Now,” said Time-Teller Lad in almost a whisper.

With that, Timberwolf was off. he moved through the system to a spot that was out of the way. He checked the room below him and there were three Dominators working on something. He couldn't tell quite what it was, but it looked like they were cooking something...something that smelled pretty nasty. He lowered himself to the ground after replacing the grate, placing himself in the middle of the three. All three had their backs to him and were jabbering about in Dominion.

He understood enough of it to know that they were chefs for the base and that this was indeed a food prep area for the kitchen, which was north of him at this point...if he was remembering correctly.

He glanced around the room and decided to just clear his throat and get this over with. The three turned around quickly with surprised looks on their faces.

He grabbed the nearest one and snapped his nexk and used his body to shield the knifethat the one to his left had thrown at him. He pulled the knife free and let it fly at the Dominator to his right and it stuck into his head, wight through his disk.

The one that had thrown the knide was trying to get something from his robe. A communicator no doubt. Lon let the lifeless body of his first kill fall and started walking towards the last remaining cook. "Wrong shift to be working buddy."

The Dominator raised his hands as if to plead for his life, but Lon was already moving his right hand un an upward motion towards the spot right between the eyes. His hand hit and there was a sickening sound as a shard of the Dominators skull caved in. There was no sound that escaped from any of the victims. They had all died without making a sound.

He stashed the bodies in a side room. A freezer of sorts. Not as cold as the freezers that he was used to, but cold and sealed enough to keep any smell from escaping.

He moved to the main door that led to the back hallway. He glanced out the doorway to get his bearings.

He had studied the building plans with Kalla during the course of the trip. It took him a few seconds, but he soon got a sense to where he was. He was right where he wanted to be. Now he just had to wait for the right moment...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
HUL, THE DOMINION
------------------------------------------------

Rockhopper Lad’s team stood on a rocky promontory on the edge of the city and the wastes. From this high point the team could see the majority of the city.

Power Boy thought over Cobalt Kid’s words. ‘bring down their technology, break down their communication and chain of command, open up the Dominion to outside invaders’

He spoke to Shark Lad by his side “It is good we demolish their communications network second …. That way their allies can hear the scream for help and beg for mercy.” He flashed a wide grin and Shark Lad laughed. The two had been joking more and more over the trip, they shared a similar dark humor. This unnerved some people.

Invisible Brainiac gave them an odd look.

Just then Rockhopper began laying out the plan again. “ … After Power Boy strikes, then Tempest will …. While Shark Lad, Invisible Brainiac, myself, and Lard Lad make an overt charge at central command … and from there begin to …. ”

They paused, it was one thing to hear the plan, and another to begin the strike.

A 'breeeep!' came from Rockhopper Lad's wrist. "It's time."

Lard Lad nodded to Power Boy “Make it rain.”

Power Boy slapped Shark Lad on the back one more time and rocketed into the air, loudly, taking a wide arc that brought him towards the city from the opposite side as the team. Once in the air, he felt exhilarated, he took time to suck in ambient energy. From high above he spied the enemies military air strip …. And dove for the ships.

The enemy’s fighters exploded as Power Boy slew them with energy vision or merely flew through them. He spared a final glance for the control tower … it erupted in thunder and flames. There went their air force.

Somewhere Titus licked his lips expectantly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on the promontory Rockhopper Lad commanded “Minimum loss of life!” He knew Power Boy could hear him.

Rockhopper Lad turned to the others “Tempest, you might as well get started.”

Tempest sat cross-legged, levitating a foot above the ground, wind rushing through her hair “What do you think I’ve been doing?”

Then she threw her head back, and the air around them began to coalesce into an immense figure. High above them a huge giant took form, made solely of focused air … and it looked like Tempest.

THUD! THUD! THUD! The Titan stomped toward the city. Once it reached the buildings, it began swinging it’s arms smashing everything. Buildings, cruisers, and roads shattered as if a demonic child suddenly decided to smash all her toys. Citizens of the dominion ran and screamed, scattering like ants before the giant.

The real Tempest was locked in a trance.

Rockhopper Lad waved an arm for the others to follow him, they would march quite visibly on the main boulevard to central command. Lard Lad, Invisible Brainiac, and Shark Lad steeled themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explosions rocked Hull as Power Boy smashed single-mindedly through the city to his destination. Hull had yet to mount any kind of resistance, so far the Dominion occupied itself with screaming and running.

Finally, Power Boy stood before an immense concrete structure. It was the power source of Hull. He looked at the chemicals and smoke rising from the gigantic pipes.

‘Disgusting, they haven’t even bothered to update to fusion power sphere technology.’

He ripped open the outer gates like paper and walked towards the main generators. He telepathically put any technicians he encountered to sleep. ‘Rocky will like that’ he quipped.

Power Boy had used up a lot of energy in the strike on Hul so far, and as he approached the toxic core that supplied most of Hul’s electricity he soaked in as much energy as he could.

Outside, all over Hul, lights flickered and went dark.

Lard Lad whispered ‘right on time Peebs’.

As the city went dark, Rockhopper’s team finally encountered a mass of soldiers on the main boulevard. They looked scared.

Rockhopper Lad breathed and the soldier’s world went white.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the power plant, Power Boy heard foot steps running up behind him. He glowed from all the energy he was absorbing. Light leaking out of his eyes and mouth.

He turned around to see several shapes materialize from the shadows.

‘Unkillables? We shall see.’

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hul, The Dominion
The Dark Oval

Far off, miles away in the city, they could hear explosions and screams. Every so often the ground itself would shake. There was no doubt the strike had begun by the other squad.

Lolita was thankful for that, as they had moved forward anyone on the presumption their allies would come through. For someone who didn’t often take risks, Cobalt Kid had a penchant for letting bravado take over when it came to relying on the rest of the LMB. She kept a steady pace next to Time-Teller Lad, as the two hung back slightly while the others were up ahead.

“Aaaaaaaargh!” came a scream as a huge two foot thick steel door came off the hinges magnetically and sent a cadre of Dominators flying outside of the command center. They fell limp to the ground, with only one having any semblance of consciousness; unfortunately for him, Kalla Hrykos walked by and cracked him across the skull with the butt-end of a laser-canon.

“Very subtle,” she said to Cobalt Kid, who had used his magnetism to get inside the building.

He said nothing and continued forward, Helena Handbasket by his side; Kalla joined them as the three led the charge.

Lolita watched as Cobalt Kid changed his demeanor yet again. When on-camera, he was the epitome of a superhero: all flash with a big dash of arrogance. Shiny teeth, waving to the crowds, kissing the lady he’d just saved. Off-camera he was cold, calculating and humorous. She wondered at what point Cobalt Kid actually became this way? As a teenager he’d severed all ties with his home-planet Ggrrgg to renounce their warlike ways. He now ironically was master in all things war.

“Up ahead,” said Helena Handbasket. Cobalt Kid nodded to her, and she let out a brief smile. She also had a laser-canon but she threw it over her shoulder. Instead, she pulled out the sword given to her by Lard Lad earlier in the quest. For a moment she considered saving its use for something more important. But those thoughts quickly faded—this was all important.

Helena advanced and Kalla Hrykos followed as Cobalt Kid stood behind waiting. Up ahead was a long corridor that led perpendicular into a cross-section that went both right and left. At the intersection, Helena went one way and Kalla the other.

As Lolita and Time-Teller Lad caught up to Cobalt Kid, they could hear thumps and yelps.

Helena Handbasket moved in a flash, using her superior fighting skills with an assist by her incredible weapon and bionic arm.

Kalla Hrykos used a quick flash of light to blind the Dominators in her path and then ruthlessly took out the rest with the butt-end of her laser-canon.

They were going down fast.

“Clear.”

“Clear.”

“Lolita, where to next?”

“90 seconds until shut down in the Command Center,” said Time-Teller Lad, using the point of Cobalt ripping off the doors as his benchmark. In his hands he held the plant.

“Right,” said Lolita, adding “and then we’ll be moving through a large open space.”

They all moved without saying anything, again with Helena and Kalla Hrykos in the lead. Kalla kicked open the door leading to another room full of Dominators and very quickly once more they fell before the LMBers. Beyond was yet another door.

Helena moved to the door and opened it and beyond was at last the resistance they were expecting: Unkillables.

“You two follow Helena and keep going!” said Cobalt with his voice raising. “Kalla, I’m right by your side,” he added and using his magnetism he suddenly moved faster than their eyes could keep up.

The Unkillables charged, some on the ground, some leaping and some firing weapons from a distance. Kalla Hyrkos responded immediately, blasting light in different directions to both knock them down and blind them.

Cobalt Kid was in the room immediately and using his magnetism he was grabbing as many as he could by the metal in their uniforms and hurling them around at the others.

In three seconds pure chaos had erupted in the room and all that could be heard were screams and crashing.

Helena ran through the room, this time using her laser-canon to blast them as Time-Teller Lad and Lolita followed.

Cobalt Kid felt a slash across his back as an Unkillable charged and before he could respond, Kalla Hrykos blasted the Unkillable into ash.

Cobalt turned, not surprised but aware this was an awkward moment; he met Kalla’s eyes and just as it was happening, two Unkillables emerged from a pile of bodies to spring a trap on Kalla. Using his magnetism on instinct he accelerated their trajectory and they came crashing into one another five feet behind her.

And just like that two sworn enemies owed each other their lives. She moved forward and he backed up so they were side by side to get a sense of the remaining Unkillables and saw it was only about half a dozen. “They are ugly, aren’t they?” said Cobalt.

“It’s their smell I really can’t stand,” she replied as the two finished them off.

Up ahead, Helena finished off the resistance in the rooms ahead. Evidently the Unkillables gathered in one room when they were alerted to their presence. “well?” she said.

“The communications hub is up ahead,” said Lolita, “and the room adjoining is where their ‘servers’ are kept” she added.

“Three seconds,” said Time-Teller Lad as he kicked in the communications room, then adding “and just in time.” Inside the room, three Dominators fired at him and he ducked out of the way. “Whoa!” he said, not expecting that.

Helena smiled at his sudden gusto and entered the room. Behind them Cobalt Kid and Kalla Hrykos followed. Helena took them out but Lolita knew the real test was whether the Dominators had sent out word yet of the attack. That was the artificial countdown Time-Teller Lad was counting down to, as they theorized it would take 90 seconds for the Dominators to alert the rest of the military. Lolita looked through the monitors and breathed a sigh of relief. They hadn’t done so yet. “We’re good,” she said.

Cobalt Kid grinned. “Then we’re in control now,” she said. “Helena, you’re in charge of guarding the hallways. They’ll be coming en masse once they figure out what’s happening.”

“Kalla, we’ll be getting word to your man Juj on Elia very shortly,” said Cobalt, “once we get a better sense of how complete our takeover of Hul is.”

“Cobalt,” said Time-Teller Lad curiously, “surely we’re not just taking over their communications?”

Cobalt Kid grinned. “Of course not. We’re going to completely destroy their technology.”

Timber Wolf
LMB Black Ops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timber Wolf   Email Timber Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
Lon looked at his wrist. The timepiece that he wore had been a gift from Cobalt Kid shortly before they had left for this mission. It had come as a surprise to Lon, but it was a replica of the watch that Cobalt had retrieved from Earth a few months earlier. According to the timetable they had set up, there should be a big boom right now...

The entire building shook for a second, and alarms started sounding from various places within the building. He saw Dominators begin running around the hallways on their way to wherever it was that was going to be their last stand. He waired and watched his watch.

A loud sound of metal being torn apart caught his attention. Very subtle..., he thought as he shook his head.

He peeked out if the doorway again, and smiled. He walked out into the Hall and began walking calmly towards the command center of the building. Not that far away from the room he had been in. The Dominators set this building up to minimize the lag time for their leadership to get their dinner.

As he walked through the halls, several Dominators took notice of him, but just kept on scuttling about. They all had small disks on their heads and were not used to having to make life or death decisions. That fact saved their lives.

He had about three more turns to reach the entrance to the central command center of Hul.

He pulled two knives from his belt and rounded the second to the last corner. There were three Unkillables. He let the knives fly before the three even noticed that he was in the hallway with his, Their attention had been drawn to the screams coming from the other direction.

"Hey uglies!" :on yelled to get their attention. As they turned, the two knives took out the two Unkillables closest to him. The knives had hit them in one of their eyes and killed them instantly.

"Whaaaat?!?!?" The third one cried as Lon rushed him. Lon dove at him and the Unkillable pivoted and threw him past him and into the wall on the far side of the corridor. Lon grinned as he got up. "Not bad for a yellow skinned freak..."

The Unkillable reached down and took out his gun. He was fast, but Lon was faster. Lon was on him with a short sword drawn before the Unkillable could take aim. The gun hit the ground with the Dominators forearm and hand still attached.

The Dominator tried to scream, but Lon had already cut out most of his throat. The Dominators eyes went wide as he watched Lon turn and run towards the command center. He reached his hand towards the alert button on the communications plate on the wall. When his hand hit it, it exploded and took the Dominators other hand off at the wrist. He tried to stumble forward and fell, dead before he hit the ground.

There was no further resistance between him and the door to the command center. That meant tha the others had been pulled into the command center itself to help guard Pinnacle Command. That suited him just fine.

He waited outside the door and checked his watch. He had a few seconds to spare.

He pulled out two guns. These were not lasers. They were not anything fancy. They were old Earth bullet firing guns. He had several clips of ammunition for them ready to go...not that he was going to need them for this. He just liked to be ready. Unkillables were tough as anything. Truly hard to kill. But as with all the most advanced of soldiers, they had their downfalls as well. The eyes were the secret. They were strong to be sure, but a direct hit in them would be like shooting anyone else in the eye with a gun. Instant death.

He chambered a round in each gun, took a deep breath and hit the button to open the door to the command center.

From: Doing the things that need to be done | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hul, The Dominion

SharkLad licked his lips. He was envious of Power Boy.

"Is the word given, Rocky?" he asked eagerly.

"The word is given. Remember -- minimal loss of life."

"Shouldn't be a problem. They're 'unkillable,' remember?" SharkLad said with a wry smile.

With that, SharkLad jumped into the fray, followed quickly by Lard Lad and Invisible Brainiac.

"I'm going in low. Have fun, boys," SharkLad cried.

Above, Lard Lad let loose a devastating barrage of energy blasts, destroying everything in his path.

"Alright," SharkLad said to himself. "We got a mother-sprocking party!"

SharkLad dove into a swarm of Unkillables, his claws and teeth ripping through them like paper bags.

"Seem pretty 'killable' to me."

Power Boy, Lard Lad, and Invisible Brainiac continued to advance, while SharkLad found himself surrounded by more and more Unkillables. He fired off teeth in every direction, felling the Unkillables where they stood. Those that got closer felt the sharpness of his claws, crying out in pain. Despite his best efforts, they continued to surround SharkLad, and soon he found himself covered. The Unkillables continued to pile on top of him until he could no longer be seen from above.

"I think Sharky is in trouble, Lard Lad," called Power Boy.

"Nah, give him a second."

"INYUK CHUK!" came bellowing suddenly, as SharkLad grew to a towering 50 feet, tossing Unkillables left and right.

"I WAS WRONG. NOW, WE GOT A MOTHER-SPROCKING PARTY!"

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.