Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"You're saying your energy signature was red, Tony?" Serj asked his fellow erstwhile Lard Knight.

"Yeah, definitely red," the man most of the galaxy knew as Lard Lad responded. "What does it mean?"

Serj regarded his friend thoughtfully. "Not sure," he finally said. "Lard Knights generally manifest blue energy, as you know. You say it's been purple for you before?"

"Yes," Lardy hesitated, "it was purple after I got my power back the first time...from Damyen Hrykos."

"When you killed 'im, you mean?"

Lardy bowed his head slightly. "Yeah. It was purple after that until I died saving Legion World."

"And after you came back?"

"It was blue again all the way until I got shot in the head by the Red Bee and lost my power again."

"And since you've had these flashes?"

"Purple. Until the battle on Hul. It was red, then."

Serj looked deep into his friend's eyes with his own penetrating dark eyes. "You've seen the Lard Force manifest red before, haven't you?"

Serj was very perceptive, Lardy thought. Serj could tell his friend was holding something back...something that bothered Lardy immensely.

Reluctantly Lardy admitted, "yes, I have, Serj. A coupla years ago a guy named Phineas B. Fuddle attacked Legion World. And he had an ally...a futuristic version of me who called himself 'Dark Lard'. His energy manifested red." Lardy held up his right hand. "This is a prosthesis. He took my hand in a sword fight."

"'Dark Lard', eh? Evil dude, I take it?"

"Definitely. Claimed he was my future. I defeated him by apparently doing something he never did. He faded from existence, but my hand was still gone and everyone remembers him."

"Tony, I'm sure it's occurred to you that the red manifestation could signify corruption of the Lard Force--and its user--right?"

"Yeah...it has. I'm thinking I might've manifested purple before as the power--and me--were darkening...."

"It would make sense, pal. Especially considering you killed a guy to get it back."

"...and I killed others, too. That time until I died was the darkest time of my life, Serj. But, damnit! I feel like I'm on the right path, now! Why would I be so over the--!"

"Maybe you're not, Tony. Maybe, like I told you before, it's because you're getting so close to the Oval's Dark Lord. You told me you learned his name is...Zauron?"

"XXXauron, actually. My grandfather."

"Well, you're getting closer to him by the day. He's not only your grandfather, but this 'Lucifer Lass' told you he's also the very source of the Lard Force! That's why it's ripping away from its cell in your subconscious and manifesting the way it is, Tony!"

"I...hope you're right, Serj. I've seen the darkness in me. And it scares me."

"That's why you're gonna be okay, man--you recognize it, and you don't want it to consume you! This Quest-with-a-capital-Q is your redemption, Tony! Take him down, and you're golden!"

Lardy smiled. "If you say so, my friend. You always cheer me up...but I thought you were gonna do that favor for me? Why are you here on the Gordian Pass instead?"

"The Space Templars approved my request to go to Daroon, but they needed me to man this support op first. I'll be off as soon as you guys leave. Don't worry, Tony, I'll be at Daroon within a couple days. I'll make sure Helen and your kids are safe!"

A moment later Serj excused himself. Lardy was left alone with his thoughts. Lardy hoped Serj was right about the red energy. He also desperately hoped that redemption was indeed in the stars for him.

Lardy then checked the manifests and saw that Cobalt's ship had yet to arrive at the Pass. He hoped he would arrive safely soon. As daunting as the Quest ahead was, it would be much more so without his best friend by his side.

Come on, Des... he thought. I can't do this without you!

Lardy closed his eyes and prayed to whatever deity might care to listen to one who was screwed up and worthless as he felt at that moment.

[ August 10, 2011, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timber Wolf
LMB Black Ops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timber Wolf   Email Timber Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
Dark Oval Space, near The Gordian Pass

They had been flying in relative quiet for some time now. Only the sound of Hywvie breathing was breaking the silence.

Cobie sat behind Kalla and Lon, who were at the controls of the ship. Lon had entered their flight path without even looking down at the controls. Cobalt knew his friend too well, and knew that something was bothering him. There was no outward sign that anybody would be able to discern, but it was a feeling that Lon gave off that very few people would ever pick up on.

Cobalt finally decided to say something, but as he thought of the right way to ask his friend what was wrong, Kalla spoke.

"Lon...what's bothering you?" She said as she touched his arm gently.

Cobalt grinned to himself. "You knew what I had to do, so I know that that isn't what's bothering you."

Lon laughed, and it startled both Kalla and Cobalt. Hywvie looked at Timberwolf and breathed out of his nose pretty hard, and it sounded like a laugh.

"No, I knew that was coming Cobie, and you know I knew...whether or not I knew when you were going to call in that marker. That one had to have peeved Lolita off though."

Kalla looked at Cobalt and grinned a little.

Lon continued, "No, I can't put my finger on what it is, but I feel like something terrible is going to happen to someone I care about...and that list is pretty frakkin short...that and I still know that someone is following us."

Cobie's eyes closed just a little. He had learned to trust Lon's instincts over the years, and it had saved their lives more times than either of them cared to think about.

"Well Lon, we know that Titus is following us, and unless the others took him down..."

"Not him. Someone else. Taunting me. Sorry, maybe I'm just being a little too cautious."

“Impossible,” said Cobalt, glad to have a momentary distraction from thinking heavily on his actions hours earlier. “Your instincts are almost always right. But at this point, with Titus following us and the Dark Lord looking for ways to destroy us, our enemies will be coming at us from all angles. We have to expect we’re not only being followed, but that wherever we’re going, they’re waiting for us.”

None of them said anything for a moment but Kalla Hrykos broke the silence at last. “I hadn’t taken the full measure of you until now,” she said to Cobalt Kid. Her tone suggested the tension between them, which had simmered for weeks and recently began boiling, was coming to a head. “The truth is, Cobaltus, you’re a lot like I am. You’ll do anything to protect the United Planets and destroy your enemies. You’ve got gravel in your stomach.”

Cobalt said nothing, as Timberwolf looked on. Kalla spoke in a way that wasn’t insulting nor intending harm. She was simply stating the truth.

“Except I’m fighting to find something more out of life,” she said, looking at Lon, “and you’ve stopped doing that.”

“Kalla,” said Lon, hoping to stop her from continuing. He had been in situations with Cobalt before that should have broken him immediately but did not. For some reason, Cobalt looked closer to being broken than ever before.

He spoke. “You’re right,” he said. “For the UP I’m willing to lose everything…even myself.” He sat back now and looked out the window. Hywvie leaned forward on his lap and licked his face in an attempt to cheer him up.

It was quiet for a moment but Timberwolf saw an opportunity. “We’ll be splitting up soon,” he said. “Cobie, you’ll go your way, and we’ll go ours. But if one of our groups is not successful, that means that eventually the other will is going to fall. So we both need to succeed here, and in my experience, it’s an awful lot easier to find hope in these situations when you actually can trust your partners. Very shortly, we’re going to joining the others but we have a few minutes now to clear the air. You two dislike one another and distrust one another, which was fine. But its not fine anymore.”

Kalla was surprised to hear Lon speak so bluntly and commanding to them both; she turned and saw Cobalt was equally surprised.

Cobalt spoke now, before Kalla could. “On Legion World you murdered citizens I was sworn to protect. In my heart, I know you have a clear vision for the Dark Oval when all is said and done that does not match my own. Yes, I dislike you.” He paused for a moment, and Lon considered looking at him to say ‘is that it?’, but Cobalt began again. “But for whatever reason, you’re the only person on this quest that is like me. And in order to succeed we need each other. Our victory over the Dominators came at a great cost, to me personally and to the UP in general. And it will be by far our easiest victory during this quest. Things are only going to get harder; sacrifices greater; enemies more terrifying.”

“What I’m saying, Kalla, is that you’ve been right all along. I do need you. Just like you need us.”

Kalla felt conflicting emotions. First, a sense of pride and victory, that Cobalt had changed his viewpoint somewhat and was reaching out to her. But also a sense of alarm, that something had changed in his perception of the quest, and it was becoming more burdensome. He knew his words were true and any impulse to gloat wouldn’t feel right. She reached back and extended her hand. “Let’s bring down the Dark Oval then, once and for all.”

Cobalt looked at her strait ahead, his face showing little emotion. He extended his own hand as well. “There is no more glorious cause.”

As they shook hands, Timberwolf grinned, feeling a brief sense of relief; but that quickly faded as he felt again the sense that he was being pursued by his enemies. An almost worse feeling washed over him at the same time, but his face and posture did not betray him. He was betraying the trust of the one person that he trusted his life with outside of his brother. He knew of Kalla's Nega-bomb on Earth-4, and what her plans had been for it. If it were brought out in the open now, it would destroy their chances before they even really got started. He stared out of the cruisers window and fought sighing...something he had not even thought about doing in years. He had not doubted himself in anything for quite a long time. If he had, it would have spelled death for him, and more often than not, others. He was a person that acted on instinct. He relied on that to get him through when rational thought may fail and freeze most normal sentient beings. But hiding this from his best friend, and he realized that he was not Cobalt's best friend...that distinction belonged to Anthony, Lard Lad...but he knew that Cobalt Kid probably trusted him more than Lardy, or anyone else they knew and worked with.

He reached across the narrow gap and took Kalla's hand and gave it a small squeeze and winked at her when she glanced at him. A small grin flashed on his face...against all odds, he had met and fallen in love with the one person in the galaxy that he should not have. There was more to her than anyone had ever thought, and it had taken him falling into her life to slowly reveal those layers...even if most of them were revealed to him and him alone. What had started as nothing more to him than a fling and then a possible strategic move in getting into her head had given him something more than he had ever thought possible for himself. The act of loving someone again...and then wholly falling in love with one of the people that Cobalt Kid hated most in this life.

Yet here they sat, along with Hywvie, in a ship that was really only built to sit two comfortably, learning to trust each other...and even if Cobalt knew it or not, Lon was setting a wedge between the two of them that could explode at any moment...if things went wrong. He was literally between two impossible choices, playing everything closer to the vest than he had ever done before. He needed Kalla, needed her love. He also needed Cobalt and his friendship...as he had been the one that had been there for him when no others even really knew he existed.

"We'll be there shortly," Kalla said and hit the manual over-ride on the controls. Lon grabbed the controls and was glad to have something to take his mind off of what was really bothering him. In the distance, a small dot in the bleakness in front of them was their destination. The Gordian Pass was coming up. Lon pressed the ship a little faster to get there as soon as they could, so they could prepare for the next stage of their journey. He also wanted to get to a point where transmissions from U.P. space were no longer available, even in small doses. He was receiving spotty reports about Daroon, and was worried about his brother and his family there...Daroon was in trouble, and although his brother could havdle himself, there were a lot of others there that he cared about that were in danger. This mission was becoming too personal, but it was out of his control.

From: Doing the things that need to be done | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hul, the Dominion

Cleome stayed hidden among the debris of Hul, as Dominators still scurried about, trying to reorganize themselves. But it was an uphill battle and would not happen. Cleome ignored them and instead, offered advice and empathy to the Cotati as they mounted their rebellion against the Dominators and fled to somewhere safe.

“Cleome, can you hear me,” came a voice telepathically to her and she felt a sense of relief. The rescue team was close. “I can,” she said, “and I gotta tell you, I could sure use a beer if you’ve got one on the ship.”

She could feel the laughter coming from Crusader telepathically. “We do, and we’ve got it on ice for you. Kid Vudoo can see you now from the ship, so I’m going to fly in and rescue you when you give me the word. Are you ready?”

Cleome waited a moment, saying some final farewells to the Cotati, who viewed her as their guardian and savior. At last she was finished. “I’m ready now, Crusader.”

Up in the atmosphere, cloaked from others via Maxx’s spells, the LMBers nodded at one another, as Crusader left to go and get her. Behind, Kid Vudoo, Dedman and Maxx waited quietly, aware that they were right in the middle of a war zone and at any moment something could go wrong. “Are we going any further?” asked Dedman, looking out into the Dark Oval space. “To help Lardy and the others, I mean?”

“No,” said Kid Vudoo, “we’re going back to the UP, to be reassigned to one of the planets in trouble. There are still many undefended planets suffering right now. I’m afraid, Lardy and the rest are on their own.”

The Dominion

Belisarius watched his view screen as his top commanders stood by his side. His visage was cold and calculating, though it masked a feeling of elation within that the counter-invasion was going so well. Bit by bit, the Dominion was falling and the United Planets fleets were slowly taking over the entire Empire, which had existed for millions of years, long before most UP planets had even seen life.

“Korvic-2 has now fallen to the UP,” said Kilrain, his top lieutenant and trusted advisor. “A revolutionary Government is up and running and the Dominators have been outlawed. We’re chasing their forces now,” he finished.

A cheer went up among the Commanders—one of many over the last 48 hours—but Belisarius said nothing. He knew better than to celebrate yet. The Dominion would fall completely, he was sure of it, but there would still be work to do.

“Cobalt Kid did his job,” said Kilrain to Belisarius so the others would not hear. He was right: the Fellowship had put the pieces in place to bring down the Dominion. Their technology and arsenal were crippled, the chain of command in such disarray that they could not mount a sustainable defense, and they had suffered immediate losses so devastating that they were on the run. The “Spy Games” had set the table and Belisarius and his Fleets were enjoying the dinner to follow.

“Don’t mention his name to me,” said Belisarius suddenly, in a fit of anger. “He betrayed me is what he did. Without my knowledge or permission, he sent those Khundish sons of whores on a warpath and they’ve gotten to Elia before we could. Now we’ll never know if we could have taken their capital.”

“But General,” said a Commander, “we still have our victory. The Dominators are falling. The attack on the UP will surely be at half-strength now—think of all the lives we’re saving!”

“We still have our victory?” replied Belisarius. “A tainted victory. Achieved only through the help of the Khunds, the most evil menace in history. Cobalt Kid arranged this, I’m sure of it, and for that, I wanted him captured and brought to me. From this point on, Cobalt Kid and his band of Legionnaires are wanted for arrest, to be tried for crimes. I want them brought before me immediately if they are found.”

---------------------------

Weber’s World

Prime Minister Maya adi Lva looked at the screens in her private offices, getting the latest update on the counter-invasion. The results were very good. “Word has come in from the Khunds, Prime Minister,” said her adjunct. “Elia has fallen. The Khunds have their capital cities and will soon have the entire planet.”

“Thank you Marissa,” replied Maya, adding, “that is all.” Marissa left as Maya turned to her guest, Ambassador Mirrena Helene. “It turns out, it was an excellent plan,” she said after a moment.

“We’ve served many Prime Minister’s over the decades, my dear,” said Mirrena, “and have always done an excellent job. As you can see, that record continues.”

Maya nodded, pouring them both a glass of wine. “Still, Ambassador, I’d have liked to have been informed prior to its execution.”

Mirrena nodded. “I know, but alas, sometimes these plans move in their own way. My young colleague and I had to work in secret so certain members of your cabinet, and other important…dignitaries…did not object.” Her use of the word ‘dignitaries’ suggested she found it amusing.

“What’s been done then by Cobalt Kid, and yourself by proxy, is illegal,” said the Prime Minister. “It is the second time I’ve been uninformed of a major game-changing stratagem that alters the entire global political spectrum. I am not pleased by that.”

“But are you pleased by the results?” said Mirrena with a smile.

Maya paused. At last she replied with her own smile. “Yes. Yes, I am very pleased. In fact, I’m quite pleased with how your apprentice and you conduct business. I only ask from now on, I remain ‘in the loop’ when these decisions are being made.”

“Certainly. From now on, you will. The Security Council is yours to command, of course,” she said with a smile, “but the real decision-makers will offer you that same courtesy.” She stood up, ready to leave. “And Cobaltus? And his Fellowship?”

“All their actions will be made legal, retroactively per the orders of the Prime Minister of the United Planets. That means I’ll be getting the credit, though,” she said matter-of-factly.

“It’s usually the best currency,” said Mirrena. She began to walk out. “You can relax a little now, my dear. Now the UP actually has a fighting chance of surviving this.”

-------------------------

Weber’s World

Princess Crujectra, the LMBer known as Spellbinder, sat alone in her quarters, still stunned by the news. She now had time to process it all, and knew in her heart exactly how the counter-invasion of the United Planets had come to pass. She knew it was Cobalt Kid who recruited the Khunds, and she knew the only way they’d agree would be if they had the right to sack the Dominator capital. Cobalt had agreed to it. She further knew none of their fellow LMBers save Timberwolf would agree to it, meaning, he must have kept it a secret which further meant, he knew in his heart what he was doing might be wrong. Yet he did it anyway.

She loved him; she had loved him for many years, and she knew he loved her. But right now, for the first time ever, she did not want to see him again. Her fury with him was all-encompassing.

He was changing, growing more distant. She would not sugar-coat it for herself: his disregard for life and the consequences for others was lessening, as his plans became more and more grandiose. He was in pain, but now was to share that pain with the entire world if it meant accomplishing his goals. She didn’t know when it began to happen, but it was happening now. And she could not be with him any longer if it was to continue.

The physical distance between them was so great right now that it pushed their telepathic link to the limit. They no longer send telepathic thoughts to one another, but they could still send emotions. She sent her anger and hurt to him so he knew what his actions had caused. So he knew her sense of betrayal mirrored so many of his friends. She knew it would break his heart but she had to. Just like he had broken hers.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lolita
His Girl Friday

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lolita           Edit/Delete Post     
Lolita embraced Shark Lad tightly and said nothing for several moments. She just held him and buried her head into his chest, enjoying the feel of his powerful muscles holding her and his distinct scent. Moments earlier she had seen him at last. Even though she knew from the comm-links he was safe, it wasn’t until she actually saw him that she breathed a sigh of relief. She didn’t realize just how worried she was about him.

“Hey gorgeous, you okay?” he asked with a smile. Lolita was an emotional person but she seemed to be more so than usual and Shark Lad’s keen instincts picked up on it.

“Just glad you’re safe,” she said. “And glad we have a night of rest, albeit briefly, before moving on.”

They let go and she picked her pack of equipment back up, and the two started to walk. Shark Lad broke the momentary silence. “When we move on,” he said at last, “it’s when we split up.” There was a hint of worry in his voice. He didn’t like the fact that they were splitting up into two groups, which he had expressed to Lolita previously in private. “I know this group has survived ever danger possible, but the odds are pretty overwhelming. I’m dreading the Breaking of our Fellowship.”

Lolita said nothing for a moment. She didn’t know how to express the fact that she felt exactly the opposite without seeming cold. “I’m just glad we’re staying together,” she said at last.

She had tentatively suggested she would go with Shark Lad to Earth-4 previously but this was her way of letting him know it was official. “You’re coming with my group, then?” he asked, a little surprised. He had expected her to go with her usual partner, Cobalt Kid.

“Yes,” she said, but gave no further explanation. As they walked, she leaned into his side and he put his arm around her petite frame.

---------------------------

Hours later, the final escape cruiser arrived at last, carrying the final members of the Fellowship: Timberwolf, Kalla Hrykos and Cobalt Kid. All of the LMBers had assembled outside to await their arrival and the air was positive between them. Even though they were dreading the Breaking of the Fellowship, the fact that every one of them survived the assault on Hul had them in high spirits. No one had said it out loud, but they all thought it was a suicide mission.

Rockhopper Lad looked at Lolita for a moment but didn’t say anything. She knew why: he was thinking what she was. Even though they were in high spirits, Cobalt’s secret pact with the Khunds hung in the backs of many of their minds. Some of them were choosing not to think about it right now but she knew it was bothering Rocky almost as much as it was her. He would not think the rampant destruction and vandalism of an entire planet was justified for any reason.

The three began to exit the cruiser and Power Boy let out a loud warrior’s cheer which caused many of them to also cheer, including the Knights Templar, who as a whole, seemed to love the macho powerhouse. Timberwolf and Kalla Hrykos were surprised by the reaction, not used to receiving it, but Cobalt took it in stride. Lolita knew there was plenty of business to discuss but it would wait an hour or two while they all got settled in for the night. Lard Lad greeted Cobalt with a hug as Shark Lad went over and jokingly told Timberwolf he thought for sure he wouldn’t make it. Even Helena Handbasket and Kalla Hrykos exchanged some words that looked like camaraderie.

Lolita hung in the background and said nothing.

------------------------

As they all broke up momentarily before they would reassemble in short order, Lolita watched as Cobalt Kid went off to the quarters prepared for him by the Knights Templar. She followed.

Soon they were out of view and he turned, evidently knowing she was following. He prepared to speak but she cut him off. “I want you to know I’m going with Rockhopper Lad’s group to Earth-4,” she said at last.

Cobalt was quiet for a moment and then spoke. “Okay. You’ll be of great value there. And Sharky will protect you.” His words seemed to just make her madder, so he decided to address the tension immediately. “Lolita,” he said calmly, “we needed the Khunds. We needed to crush the Dominators immediately; otherwise they’d be a thorn in our side while we were dealing with the Hive and the Evil Emperor Penguin. Strategically, it was a move we needed to make.”

“Strategically…” she said sarcastically with a huff. “Yes, logically it all makes sense, Cobie. Unleash a race of killers and rapists on an entire planet so we can win our war. A perfect strategy. Are you listening to yourself?”

Cobalt again showed no emotion but she knew him too well. He was angry now too. “What would you have me do, then? Fight this war half-heartedly so we get slaughtered? So the UP is reduced to ash and rubble like Ggrrgg now is? You can’t have it both ways, Lolita!”

“You know, Cobie, I tried. I tried for us to be partners and friends again. But it’s like I don’t recognize you anymore. I know its been happening for awhile: what happened to Ggrrgg, and your father. And the guilt over Elagabolus. You couldn’t even mourn for Lardy when we thought he was dead. I know you’re screwed up because of what happened to you when you were younger, but so are a lot of us. Somewhere along the way these last few years you’ve gotten so cold and calculating. You aren’t even trying to hide it anymore like you used to, under your devil-may-care persona. Something is broken inside of you, and I can’t fix it.”

Her words stung but they had angered him to the point where he wasn’t listening. “I know you hate the Khunds like I hate the Dominators!” he yelled. “I know what they did and I know what they were going to do to you because I was there—that’s when we met. I’m sorry I went to them, but I had no other options I could think of!”

“You don’t get it, Cobie,” she said. “You did have other options. A few years ago, you would have never made a deal with the Khunds. I…” she was about to start yelling but suddenly stopped. She caught herself. She knew it was pointless. “Cobie, I can’t do this anymore. I…I wish you the best of luck. I’m going with the other team. I want you all to be safe. But I can’t do this with you.”

The momentary anger subsided and his face betrayed no hint of emotion, though he was furious inside. “Fine,” he said, at last. “You know I wish you all the best. I hope we see each other again when this is all over,” he said, “and you see me differently than you do now.” He turned around and walked off, too angry and exhausted to continue any longer.

“Me too…” she said to herself, and when he was out of view, she let the tears flow down her cheeks.

From: Right by Cobie's Side | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Daroon

Dev Em sat quietly. His shoulders were slumped, and his head hung down to his chest. He had been in this position for hours, and Princess Alyson knew he was finally asleep.

She worried about him. More than she ever thought she would. Theirs had not been an easy relationship, even when she was someone else. He had always put his Legion ahead of them...no, that isn't fair, she thought. He was always there for the children...just not for me. As if he knew all along that something wasn't right.

She felt a hand touch her shoulder. She turned expecting to see her mother standing there, but it was Kar Em. Dev's father and Daxamite liaison to Daroon. She smiled. Thanks to him and his people, there were more of her people alive right now.

"You need to come with me...Princess," Kar Em said quietly.

She nodded, and rose. Then she noticed that Jon Em had nestled himself in the crook of Dev's left arm and fallen asleep himself.

"What is it?" she asked as Kar led her away from the others.

"Princess, you need to be with your parents right now," he said somberly.

She let her head lower and fought the tears coming to her eyes. "I understand..." she said almost inaudibly.

Kar led her to where the King and Queen lay. He motioned and everyone stopped what they were doing and moved back.

Faraway walked over to Kar and put his hand on Kar's shoulder. "Is there anything we can do old friend?"

"Nothing except hope beyond hope that the lull we now have lasts a little bit longer."

They both turned to the East where legions of bugs were amassed, but did not advance. Something was happening, and these two among them knew what was coming...this was the quiet before the storm.

"I'll keep a watch," Faraway said. "Loser Lad, c'mon. Let's see what they're up to."

Loser snapped his head around and shook his head a little. "Right with you Far," he said as they walked with some guards towards the front line.

Han Em was with Helena and Hugh. They in turn were being told stories by several of the Kings guards. Stories of grand adventures and slaying dragons. Han wasn't so sure about the facts, but the other two were enthralled, and that made any doubt she may have had a non issue for her.

----------------------

After a short while, Princess Alyson stood. She turned to face the crowds that was at a short distance away, and saw Dev, carrying a sleeping Jon walking towards her. Dev handed Jon to his father and went to her side. He embraced her as she composed herself. He motioned for the Captain of the Guard to come over. He nodded and came, bringing with him a small box.

"Are you ready for this Alyson?" Dev asked quietly.

"I never would be ready for this...but I owe it to all still living this night to take up this burden."

Dev nodded to the Captain of the Guard, and he opened the box.

Dev lifted a small Crown from the box and the Captain of the Guard said in the loudest voice that most of those present had ever heard. "This night has brought us great sorrow, and a new hope. The King and Queen are dead...Ling live the Queen!"

Cheers arose through the tears of the people of Daroon that were assembled.

----------------------

They had barely gotten through the throngs of people lending their support for Queen Alyson when Loser Lad ran around several guards and into Dev at full speed almost knocking himself onto the ground in the process.

"What's the matter Loser?" Dev asked.

"They're moving..." Loser said.

Dev looked at Kar Em and watched his face go white.

"Go defend my people," Queen Alyson said to them picking up her fathers sword, "by my side."

The assembled group picked up arms and followed them to the front line.

[ August 15, 2011, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Dev - Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timber Wolf
LMB Black Ops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timber Wolf   Email Timber Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
Timberwolf kissed Kalla on the cheek. "I'll be right back," he said in her ear.

He walked past several of the Legionnaires present and towards Lard Lad. Lardy was moving towards Cobalt Kid, but Lon grabbed his arm and said, ",,,follow me."

Lard Lad got a quizzical look on his face, and followed. Once they had moved a good distance from the rest of the group Lon stopped.

"Look Timberwolf, I don’t want..."

"Quiet Anthony."

Lard Lad stopped short. Lon did not usually use his real name...if he had ever at all. He had only really known this aspect of him for a short while, and most of that was while Timberwolf had been involved with Kalla.

"Okay then...Lon. What's up?"

"I just wanted to tell you a couple things."

Lard Lad's eyes darted around a little here and there. "Okay..."

Lon sighed. "Kalla has told me all about the things that you guys planned, and what parts of it you carried out. Just know that I am thankful that you did us all a huge favor then. This would have been all but impossible right now if not for what you had done. Not everyone is going to see it that way, but it's true. The United Planets owes you it's very existence if we pull this off...cause without what you did, this never happens and they would have crushed us eventually…not that they’ll ever admit it."

Lard Lad just looked at him.

"Also, I know that people are going to be very upset with Cobalt for what he did...but know that if he had not done it, I was prepared to. I had the transmission code as well. If he was incapacitated or refused to pull the trigger, I was set to."

Lardy tilted his head a little.

"I would have done it sooner, but he needed the chance to make the decision for himself. But know that it was going to happen whether he wanted to do it or not. I had no problem making that call.”

"Look, you don't need to defend him to me," Lardy said.

"I'm not defending him or his actions. I’m just telling you that it was always going to happen. I was there when the deal was struck."

"There's a lot we don't know about you..."

"There’s a lot you'll never find out either," Lon said with a grin, "it's beyond classified."

Lard Lad laughed a little, not sure if he was joking or not.

"The other thing is this. Take care of him and watch his back. You have to be there for him, even if everyone else isn’t."

"Of course..."

"No, I mean there are going to be really heavy decisions that he has to make coming up that he is going to need you to be there for him as his best friend."

"Look Lon, I'm sure that you..."

"Stop. He may be my best friend, but you are his...and he cares about you more than even you know."

Lon patted Lard Lad on the shoulder as he walked past him towards the others. "Just promise me you'll watch his back," he said, but didn't wait for the answer.

From: Doing the things that need to be done | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Gordian Pass,
The Dark Oval

At long last, the time had come. For weeks they had been dreading, knowing full well it was an intricate part of the overall strategy. Yet, most of them kept pushing those thoughts away, not thinking about losing half of their Fellowship. There was strength in numbers, and with overwhelming odds and far deep into enemy territory, that strength helped carry them through their darkest moments. Now that strength was being lessoned.

The Knights Templar gave them space, standing apart some distance away to let this intimate farewell proceed with privacy. Among them in command was the Lard Knight Serj, and he could see through their body language how bittersweet this moment was to the Legionnaires. The Space Knights would not be going with either group; from here on out, they were almost entirely on their own.

The 12 members of the Fellowship gathered together, and unintentional began to separate into the two groups. On one side stood the Legionnaires who would head off to Hrykosia and then Earth-4, attempting to liberate an entire planet. Rockhopper Lad, the LMB Leader, stood first among them, and behind him was Shark Lad, Lolita, Time-Teller Lad with Hyvvie by his feet, Helena Handbasket, Timber Wolf and Kalla Hrykos. On the other side was the smaller group who would head into the area of space unknown to explorers in living memory and known only as the Hive. Standing side by side was Lard Lad, Power Boy, Tempest, Cobalt Kid and Invisible Brainiac. The feeling was bittersweet: that they got this far was nothing short of a miracle. Now they were going off to an even more dangerous phase of the quest, and they would not all be going together.

The silence was so loud it was deafening. Rockhopper Lad smiled a very sad smile to Lard Lad and Lardy returned it; soon they were all smiling a little, some of them even a little teary-eyed. Cobalt Kid was the first to break the silence, walking across to his friend, Timberwolf, and extending his hand.

Timberwolf grinned widely and took it with his own, and then pulled Cobalt in for a tight hug. As the two hugged, Cobalt said to him “I know you’ll be careful, and I trust that you’ll take care of things on this end. Just watch for them all too, okay? Lolita, and Tim, and even the SMBers.”

Timberwolf patted him on the back as the hug was ending and replied “I will,” though what he didn’t say spoke volumes, as his thoughts immediately turned to the nega-bomb. “I know things on your end will work out; fortunes smiles on your plans, you bastard.” With that they both let out a laugh.

“I’m glad somebody does,” replied Cobalt with a smile.

“Take care of yourself, Cobie,” said Lon seriously. “What we’re doing is too grandiose for words, but we both know it’s the right thing.”

Cobalt nodded, and no more words needed to be spoken between them.

Next to them, the other LMBers also embraced one another to say farewell.

Lolita held onto Shark Lad tightly, not moving forward to say goodbye. She knew some of them would come over to her, but she did not know Power Boy or Tempest and she did not want to speak to Cobalt Kid. Power Boy was the first to come over to embrace them all by the arm, and he did so with Shark Lad, whose rugged demeanor he had always liked. He nodded towards Lolita and she nodded back, not really having the words.

Invisible Brainiac came to them next, and he smiled at them both with his heroic, kind disposition. He had been friends with Lolita over the years, as he was with most of his fellow Legionnaires. Lolita at last let go of Shark Lad and embraced him in a tight hug, telling him to be careful and he told her the same.

Shark Lad turned to Timberwolf who was by his side and growled “Too bad we don’t have to say good bye yet…”

Timberwolf grinned and replied “yeah yeah, laugh it up fishlips…” which made Invisible Brainiac laugh as he came by them to say farewell.

Lardy made his way among Rockyhopper Lad's team.

First he approached Lolita and Shark Lad who stood very close together. Lardy gave her a tight hug and messed her hair up a little. He knew that Lolita was much older than she appeared, but he'd come to think of her as a kid sister over the last few years. She smiled a genuine smile that made him think she reciprocated. But now, as always, he still wasn't sure if she really did.

As they embraced, he whispered to her, "I know you may never feel the same about him again, but just know...I'll be keeping him safe."

He pulled back and looked into her eyes. Her expression was stoic, but he could swear that what he said to her was of some comfort to her, hard as she tried to hide it.

He gave Sharky a strong pat on the shoulder. Lardy had served as a Legionnaire with him almost since the beginning. Though they weren't extremely close, he thought of Sharky as a friend. Lardy remembered many incidents where Sharky followed him into the breach, either trusting in Lardy's wisdom...or showing a similar penchant for wrecklessness!

"Give 'em hell, Sharky," Lardy said to him. He added with a whisper, "and take care of little sis, 'kay" Shark Lad nodded and flashed him that characteristically disturbing toothy grin.

Lardy moved on to Lon and Kalla, who were mostly unattended. He considered his options for a moment, then made up his mind. "Kalla, you've fought the good fight against the Red Bee and on Hul. Maybe both of us deserve a second chance, eh?"

Kalla smiled at him in a way that struck Lardy as genuine. "Maybe we do," she answered.

Lardy gave her a light hug and then shared a firm handshake with Lon. A wink told Lon that Lardy hadn't forgotten their recent conversation.

"Give that evil Pyngwyn bastard and his consort one for me, okay?" Lardy said with a smile and then moved on.

He then approached Helena. Wordlessly and without prompting, both drew their swords, held them in front of themselves parallel and in front of their faces, then lightly touched swords. Both were warriors, and that was all that needed to be expressed between them. Silently, he moved on.

Tempest stood apart from them, still very distant and unaccustomed to this emotional display. She turned, however, to see Helena Handbasket now approaching her with her arm extending. Tempest found herself meeting the embrace and Helena pulled her in for a tight, brief hug. “Good luck, Tempest,” she said firmly, and Tempest returned the well wishes with a nod. Both were strong, tough women who had a mutual respect for one another. Helena’s going out of her way to say farewell to Tempest was a small act which meant a great deal to the mage.

Cobalt Kid embraced Rockhopper Lad tightly for a hug to say farewell and wish each other good luck. Though Rockhopper Lad was not pleased with Cobalt’s recent actions, he wished for his friend’s safe return more than anything. “Be careful out there,” he said. “We’re hoping to find allies waiting for us, but you’ll be all alone in a hostile land.”

“We will be,” said Cobalt Kid with a half smile. He then looked him in the eye and said, “you are a great leader for the LMB, Rocky,” meaning every word. “I know you’re going to succeed.”

Cobalt then turned to Time-Teller Lad, who he had always liked a lot and gave him a tight hug. “Try not to be so blood-thirsty,” he said jokingly and Tim laughed at the obvious attempt to cut through some of the tension.

Cobalt then lowered to pet Hyvvie and scratch behind his ears. “Well, of everyone, I wish you were coming with me the most,” he said with a sigh. “When the times get tough, keep them smiling.”

Lon walked to The Knights Templar and shared a moment with each. Talking about where they were headed, and giving them what information he thought would help. He purposely talked to Serj last. He put his hand on his shoulder and ealked opast him, turning hom in the process. He reached down into his vest and pulled out his Omnicom. "I know where you are going. I need you to deliver this to my brother."

Serj took the item and oput it in a safe place in his armor. "I would be honored to deliver this to Dev Em."

"Thank you Serj."

"You're welcome."

Timberwolf gave Serj a light hug and walked back to Kalla's side. "You alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I am. I'm going with you to our destiny," he said as he hugged her tight.

Power Boy also moved towards the Knights to say farewell to them. He had been impressed by their lifestyle and thought it suited him very well; almost immediately he was instant friends with all of the various Knights they’d met along the journey thus far. They viewed him in a bit of awe most of the time, seeing him a legend come to life, so his kind words to them as he wished them well on their part of the coming troubles were deeply felt.

Cobalt Kid at last arrived at Shark Lad and Lolita. She clutched Shark Lad tightly and made no effort to move forward. Cobalt did his usual best to hide any emotion but there was a clear pain in his eyes. He extended his hand to Shark Lad, realizing there was a tension between them now despite many years being allies and friends, and Shark Lad accepted it. “Be safe out there, Cobie,” said Sharky, genuinely meaning it.

“You too,” he replied, “and give ‘em hell.”

He then turned to Lolita, who met his gaze. “You be safe too, Lolita,” he added, no longer hiding the sadness in his voice. “See you back on Legion World.”

For a moment he lingered as she didn’t say anything, and he turned to walk away. She at last spoke but it was a whisper he didn’t hear: “you too,” she said.

“That was a little cold, Lolita,” said Shark Lad to her.

Finally, Lard Lad approached three sentients who had been his surrogate family for a time: Time-Teller Lad, Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle....and Rockhopper Lad.

"Hyvvie", Lardy said, as he kneeled down and gave the beagle a scratch behind the ears, "I know you'll keep watch over everybody, won't ya, boy?"

Lardy grinned as Hyvvie gave an unmistakably affirmative bark and licked Lardy all over his face.

Standing back up and turning to Time-Teller Lad, Lardy said, "Tim, I know you'll keep 'em all on schedule, right?"

Tim resisted the obvious baiting by Lardy to give him some exact time measurement and instead fought back tears as he spontaneously embraced Lardy tightly. Lardy returned Tim's embrace and smiled at him tenderly. Lardy knew that Tim was thinking of Clive as much as him at that moment.

As he broke from Tim, Lardy turned to the one he knew it would be hardest to say goodbye to. He tried to be cheerful, but as soon as he looked into Rocky's big, soulful eyes, he broke down. "Oh....E-Eudyptes..."

Rockhopper Lad approached his ex-lover and wrapped his arms around Lardy's quavering form. "There, there, Anthony," Rocky said calmly, "we each have our duty to attend to. And I am certain this won't be the last time we enjoy one another's company."

Lardy broke the embrace for a moment. His eyes red and tears styreaming down his face, Lardy looked Rocky in the eyes and, wordlessly, kissed him. It was the kiss between two ex-lovers who were still close friends foremost. Whatever it meant in all its nuiances, it was returned fully by the Pyngwyny Prince.

After the kiss was finished, they continued to embrace for a long time as Rocky whispered assurances to the other, all the while keeping as calm and collected as someone who has blossomed fully into his leadership role. As a former LMB leader himself, Lardy recognized this and admired his dear friend all the more for it. At one point, Lardy managed to say, "Rocky, I know you'll find Adelie...she'll be fine..." Eventually and reluctantly, Lardy broke the embrace and said his goodbyes. He then found Serj among the Space Knights and received his friend's assurance that he'd proceed with haste to Daroon. Then, Lardy made his way back to the other four who would comprise the Hive mission.

-------------------------

At last, the farewells had been made and the two groups split once again. The ships prepared by the Knights Templar were now ready to be boarded and on opposite sides of the space-dock. For a brief moment they lingered, staring at one another, wondering if this was the last time they would see each other—for surely, there would be casualties. At last, Rockhopper Lad gave the signal and his group began to depart towards the ship. Some of them let the tears fall down openly, and others did their best to hide it. Rockhopper Lad stood there a moment and smiled at them, his smile filling everyone with warmth and confidence.

And then he too turned to leave.

The remaining five Legionnaires lingered a moment longer before Power Boy at last turned. Tempest quickly followed. Invisible Brainiac looked at Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad, who both seemed very sad and said only “And so the fellowship is broken…”

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dark Oval Space

An hour after their group departed, Lardy made his way out of their spacecraft's cockpit, where he, Invisible Brainiac and Power Boy had been figuring out the controls to the unfamiliar vessel. Satisfied the other two had things well in hand for the first shift, Lardy had decided to check in on Cobalt.

He glanced toward the closed compartment where Tempest was as he passed it. She had told them all that she would be inside meditating and should not be disturbed. He and Temp, he realized, hadn't spoken in weeks. He wondered in passing how he felt about that and whether his feelings for her had changed.

A moment later, he found his best friend sitting alone in the common area. Cobalt's head was bowed down, and he was seemingly deeply lost in thought. So deeply, in fact, that he didn't appear to notice Lardy's arrival. But just as Lardy was working out how best to intrude, his friend looked up with a weak smile.

"Gonna lecture me now like everybody else?" Cobalt said, his tone half-serious.

"Des," Lardy answered with a grin, "I've no room to do that after all I've put you through over the years!" He then sat next to him on the couch. "You having regrets?"

"No...no, I did what I had to, Lardy. The Dominion had to be absolutely crushed to achieve the advantage we needed, and the Khunds provided the quickest, most efficient solution."

"So...why the long face?"

"The collateral damage to my relationships, that's why. I...I may have lost some of the people I care about the most by doing this."

"Maybe, Des...but maybe they would've lost their lives if you hadn't. I don't think I could've done what you did...well, not anymore. But there's little doubt you gave the U.P....and the ones you love...a fighting chance in this war that they may not have had with the Dominion in the mix."

"I know that, Lardy. Obviously. But if you could've felt Crujeckie's hurt, her anger over our psychic link...and Lolita's face...."

"Des...I've been there, man. And I'll be with you...'til the end."

The two friends embraced for a moment and then distracted themselves by studying space charts Kalla had provided of the Dark Oval territory they were entering.

Silently, though, Lardy was worried about his friend. As he glanced over at Cobalt occasionally, Lardy couldn't help thinking: Is this how I was after I killed Damyen Hrykos and Mordra--and after I lost Dru? Is Des heading for the dark places I went to?

Lardy gave him another lingering glance.

Well, I'll just have to be there for him like I never have before if that's the case...

Lardy gave him a firm pat on the shoulder as if for emphasis. Cobalt look puzzled for a moment but grinned a little before returning to the charts.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

And in the cold vacuum, two ships light years apart, each prepared to enter space's deepest, darkest bowels on two separate fronts. Whatever the outcome of their crusades, the Fellowship, though cloven in two, would fight as one against the greatest evils in the galaxy......

End of Part I

[ February 23, 2012, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

In one’s life, we all must face Two Terrors--that of the KNOWN...and that of the UNKNOWN.

The KNOWN is right outside your window. It is all-too real. It can not be escaped. It is true Evil, within and without.

On the holo-news: The Terror of seeing live pictures of an entire planet being consumed by monstrous, ravenous insects. Will your home, your children, your very life be next? Will all the foundations of what you have come to know as civilization follow?

In your mirror: The Terror of what you’ve done and what you know you still are capable of doing. How can you live with the decisions you’ve made and may still have to make? If you can, will your loved ones, whom you do all of this for, still be able to look you in the eye?

The UNKNOWN is more nebulous but no less terrifying. It is the future. It brings with it the uncertainty of Tomorrow‘s very existence.

A Planet of Ice: The Terror of repression, of freedom seemingly unattainable. Can a rebellion of Losers overcome the cold heel of tyranny that freezes its very breath? If so, what price will have to be paid?

A Hive of Horrors: The Terror of an overwhelming, endless army of soldiers all unswervingly devoted to their cause. Can a handful of dedicated heroes overcome the biting, hungry, voracious mandibles of Death incarnate? If you survive, will there be anything left of you?

This is the time when heroes are tested. You must face your Terrors, Known and Unknown, or succumb to the darkness within. If you pass the test, your reward will be to graduate to one even more tough...and even more Terrifying.

Good luck. You will need it....

The Lord of the Oval

Part II: The Two Terrors

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Wyandotte, the Insect King

I was born Harold Ryan Wyandotte on an Earth in a parallel universe not dissimilar to this one. My earliest memories are of plotting my adoptive parents’ deaths. I was four years old.

For as long as I can remember, that has been my primary desire...the desire to kill. Why was I born that way? I have no idea, but I have no regrets. I have a purpose, and it is one I relish.

After I killed my parents, I was placed in a special facility for 'disturbed' juveniles. Over time, I learned to conceal my intentions from those who were studying me. I continued to kill other patients in the facility and even a few staff members...but I learned to make their deaths either look like accidents or to frame others to take the blame. But little Harold was a model patient as far as anyone was concerned.

When I reached puberty, I discovered I had a gift. Somehow, I could mentally dominate any one sentient being at a time. With tremendous effort I could dominate many more. I celebrated by forcing everyone in the facility to slaughter each other. It was my coming out party, and I left to explore the world outside as my killing field.

Within ten years I had manipulated my way to causing the extermination of all life on my Earth. The problem was that it was almost too easy. In my ascent I encountered no resistance. On my world I was apparently unique. No one else had any special abilities. They were all painfully ordinary.

So I traveled off planet. Some of the cultures I encountered presented minor challenges, but the end result was the same.

Then something extraordinary happened. I had stopped for a diversion in a bar of ill repute on a tiny remote planetoid. I practiced my bloody wares in a back room when some extraordinary visitors arrived via an unexplained convergence with other-dimensional equivalents of this same bar. Strangely enough, most of these other beings were parallel universe versions of myself. All seemed to share a lust for death and control, save one: a self-proclaimed hero who audaciously called himself "Lard Lad". Even more enticingly, he had with him a group of fellow heroes he belonged to who called themselves the LMB.

This LMB opposed the rest of us, who formed a kind of loose coalition against these heroes. But I decided early on to follow the LMB to their home because they looked to provide something I craved desperately: a challenge. I did so by altering their memories of what transpired even as I travelled back with them.

I took my time in this fascinating new universe to learn all about it, so that I could bring about its eventual death most effectively. This LMB would be a worthy foe as it grew more and more formidable a force by the year. I would need considerable resources to overcome them.

As I traveled far and wide, I finally found what I needed within the territory known as the Dark Oval. I encountered a huge, grotesque insect creature which intended to devour me. I easily dominated it with my powers and in the process found it was part of a vast collective hive mind. I used the creature to take me to its Queen. Within moments I controlled the Queen and by extension her entire Hive of endless death-dealing drones. Suddenly, I was one of the greatest powers in this new universe and instantly inherited access to the Oval Elite itself. While I was unable to dominate the other Elite as well, they had no choice but to accept me as their equal.

But I have learned patience. I’ve observed my foes and my fellows alike and have attempted a few dress rehearsals on Legion World to better get their measure.

And now, the time at last is here! Already I have at long last begun to unleash my endless army of death on the nearby sectors of the United Planets with more to come as each day passes. And through my psychic link, I have been able to experience every single kill as if it were delivered by my own thrashing, hungering mandibles!

So many deaths...and so many more to come! The end is nigh for the United Planets, the LMB and Legion World...and eventually, all else.

It is indeed good to be King!

[ September 09, 2011, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The Emperor

Eudyptes XXIX, Emperor of the Earth and of the Pyngwyn Colonies stood on the balcony of the Imperial Palace and gazed at the bleak, frozen landscape.

He had built the palace in a Terran city whose name resembled that of his home planet, a city whose climate had never been known for its cold weather, but that was before the Emperor's arrival. It was he who made the Earth into a frozen world, for, although he had mastered many kinds of magic over the years, it was still the Ice Magic that was his greatest power. There was no one on his world who had such mastery of the Ice Magic as he. There was only one he'd ever met who had: his double from that other universe, the one who called himself Rockhopper Lad. “What a juvenile notion!” the Emperor thought. Using the name of the Imperial House as a code name to run around with a bunch of humans in spandex.

Not that there weren't some humans with merit. There was his beloved consort, Blaine, a native of the universe from which his silly double hailed. And there was Tempus, Tim Temp, who betrayed the SMB and the Earth into his hands.

The Emperor chuckled as he thought of the planet he now ruled. The Pyngwyn Colonies has a population of about four million. He now reigned over a world of many billions and his rule was absolute. There were occasional rumors and whispers of a group that were plotting against the Emperor. They would come to no good end. How apt that they should call themselves “The Losers”. A self-fulfilling prophecy, he thought.

Still, the idea of being overthrown again, gave the Emperor pause, remembering his double's costing him his throne in the Pyngwyn Colonies (though the Emperor kept the title in pretense). The so-called Rockhopper Lad had already given him so much grief. And the influence he had over Adelie! Surely she wouldn't have called herself “Rockhopper Lass” and committed herself to such silly notions but for him!

The Emperor pondered how someone so like him could at the same time be so unlike. He and Rockhopper Lad were physically identical. There seemed little, if any difference in their families and upbringings. Why was his double so weak and tender-hearted? Why did he adhere to the traditions of the Pyngwyn Colonies and Pyngwypalia so that he forsook the magic at which he was equally adept, save for the Ice Magic. Did something happen in his life that made him so different?

“My Lord!”

The Emperor shook from his reverie. “Yes, Tempus, what did you need?”

“My Lord,” said Tempus, whose double in the other world had the ludicrous name “Time Teller Lad”.“The former ambassador from Earth to the Pyngwyn Colonies is here, at your request.”

“By all means, show her in.”

Anna Lee Merrison was brought onto the balcony, shackled and chained.

“Ah, Ms. Merrison! It's been a very long time. I'm been waiting for this reunion.”

“My Lord!” she begged. “It has been so very long! Please, have mercy!”

“Silence, human! Your planet has so many riches. Or had. I have taken them away. Not that there was anything of Earth you thought I should have.”

“My Lord,” she began. “That was long, long ago.”

“Yes, you have had many years to think about it. Too long. I, too, have had a long time. And I have decided that time is something you need no more of.” And with that he drew a breath and began to blow a white vapor at the former Ambassador. Within a minute, her body had changed into an ice statue. At a nod from the Emperor, one of his guard took a sledge hammer and reduced the statue to ice chips.

“Tempus,” the Emperor called as he re-entered the palace, “Please send for the cleaning woman. My balcony needs to be swept!”

The Emperor walked over the pieces of ice that had once been the ambassador as he returned to his quarters.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
TITUS . THE CONQUEROR

OVER 1000 YEARS AGO

Titus marched across the grand bridge to the senate palace. The dark spots of blood marked his gleaming armor and face. Several similar looking soldiers followed him, their long hair slightly grey compared to Titus’ rich black.

As the armored men strode to the wide steps of the palace entrance, Titus paused and nodded to three young women who stood to the side, each robed in different colors.

He smiled to himself and continued walking through the palace doors.

Titus strode to the senate floor, fresh from battle. He looked around, disgusted at the remains of his assembled people. His people were old and reclusive. They were scholars and scientists. They were weak. Immortals that had chosen to fade away and die. There were less of them each century and less young gods born each century. There were only a handful of gods Titus’ age scattered throughout the crowd. ‘We should be ruling the galaxy, not dwindling away on the edge of the galaxy’ he thought.

Titus spat his words as he spoke once more of returning the gods to glory, through force. He appealed to them to return to the affairs of the galaxy, to rule as gods should. He thrust his helmet high as he finished his speech. A single quiet moment existed and then …… deafening cheers were met with deafening shouts of outrage.

The hall was divided in chaos.

------------------------------------------------------

THE RUINS OF HUL

Titus woke from his reverie. He looked different now, larger and dimmer somehow. Unsettled, he remembered that moment. He remembered the peculiar sound of god shouting at god.

He meant to unite them but he had underestimated the handful of other young gods that opposed him. They had been working behind the scenes to ferment opposition against Titus, the young and powerful general of the gods, taking over the senate as monarch. A slight majority of the older gods supported Titus and his promises of returning to glory and dominance through conquest.

He remembers that moment while looking around at the devastation of Hull. He underestimated his opponents then, and now he had underestimated this LMB, and Power Boy, one of his kin among them.

Titus looked around again, his 40 were assembled around him covered in dust. They were his 40 greatest opponents, perverted through the power granted him by his dark lord into super powered wraiths imprisoned somewhere between life and death. That’s what happened to people that disagreed with Titus.

Titus calls forth one of his wraiths, a special present for this LMB.

‘Disaster Boy’

[ September 12, 2011, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The Dark Emissary

A Message to The Emperor

I have followed these sad creatures as per your request. They are an interesting group. They seem to ba as much at odds with each other as they are with the thought of your reign expanding as it will, to their pathetic worlds. Only then will they see from under your heel that it was the only way.

A strange thing has happened though. They were able to stop Titus for a time. I suspect that his anger will be great, though he will no doubt not be any concern of ours at this time, as the group has split into two. One group heading for you, and the other heading for the Hive. He is sure to follow the others as they are chiefly the ones that thwarted him.

They were also able to throiw the Dominion fools into disarray. Not that it is exactly a difficult task, but they did so with an impressive ease that would give me pause, if not for the fact that we know they are coming.

There is one among them that has somehow sensed my presence...even from the distance I gave myself. It is not my other self...oh how I wish that the pathetic fool had come with them. Ever since I learned of his existance, I have waited for you to give me the chance to destroy everything he holds dear and grind his bones into powder. He knows not the power he could have had if he had siezed the opportunities presented to him, too afraid to do what must be done. Perhaps the poor fool never had the support of a friend like I had in you when things went wrong for me. You know that I owe you everything because you were the only one that stood by me when I hunted the ones down that took my life from me. You were the only one who understood and comforted me in those dark days, and I in turn stood by you as your Dark Emissary to those that feel that they may oppose you without consequence. As to who this one is that has sensed me, I know not of his origins, just that there is something about him that seems familiar.

As always, I await your command, and your command alone. I will continue to follow those headed for our home, and rejpoin you when they are close enough. If you give the word though. I will destroy them in the deep dark coldness of space...or on our beloved planet where you can watch as they beg for mercy that will never come. The command is but yours to give. You have but to say it and it will be done.

Long Live The Emperor!

Your Friend and Weapon forever...

Dev Em, The Dark Emissary

===================================

The twisted version of Dev Em hit send on his communication device and pocketed it. He smiled and turned to follow after the Legion members headed to Earth 4.

"Soon, I will have justice..."

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Romaltus

The Great Basilica of the Epsilon Sector was one of the true triumphs in sentient history; a marvel whose majesty caused those who gazed upon to feel both awe and pride that such a structure could even exist. It was the only remaining structure of a lost architectural style from thousands of years earlier, and its complexity could cause even the most learned individual to grow weary and overwhelmed. Its ceiling reached far into the sky and majestic banners of purple hung from the walls with ornate tapestries upon them. The roof of the Basilica was a perfect oval with a deep black circle in the middle as if it was a great lidless eye.

This was an ancient place of worship. It remained so today, though now its Priests worhipped a great, Dark Lord. The co-ruler of the Epsilon Sector, and High Priest to the Dark Lord, knelt at the great altar and quietly prayed. His concentration was so great he could block out all sound, all smell, all everything around him. For he communed directly with the Dark Lord. He was Romatlus, and none were more devout than he.

While his allies and colleagues felt elation or fear at the recent events, Romatlus and his wife Mala felt no such exhilaration. The recent events, both good and bad, were how things were supposed to occur. All paths led to the Lord of the Dark Oval. This was the way history progressed. He found comfort in his duty to the bringing his universe this gift; he found comfort in his service to his Deity.

Yet, in his heart, Romaltus knew there still some unfinished he needed to attend. There were those he cared for that had been blinded and not yet see with the Eye. Mala would prefer they simply rot; but he expressed his concern to the Lord of the Dark Oval and felt understanding. He would try to save their souls. His nephew Cobalt Kid, and those closest to him. He could make them believe; he could make them see.

It was difficult to accept good fortune when it came to you. To let go of your base emotions and submit. But if they could shed their rudimentary beliefs and accept truly great, they could be Regents of Paradise. They could reign for a thousand years of peace and prosperity. The Dark Lord would change the universe for the better and all those elements of society that caused only pain and hurt would be utterly destroyed. It would be beautiful.

As he communed silently with his Deity, he spoke aloud to the chamber, feeling the power of the Great Basilica enhances his prayer: “Lord, grant me the strength to do your will. Grant me the strength to save those who have not accepted the good news. Help me make my nephew see! See that if he lays aside his worry and his guilt, that he can live in beauty and in peace!”

Romaltus finished his prayer in silence and a deep sense of satisfaction came over him, as he knew the Dark Lord heard his thoughts and would grant him his wish.

Turning, he found his wife and companion, Mala waiting. She smiled a loving smile, anxious to share her good news. “The Dark Lord answers your prayers, my love,” she said. “Your nephew comes ever closer to the Epsilon Sector, and brings with him a righteous fellowship. He rewards me as well, bringing a young Goddess whose power will invigorate me in the same manner healing your nephew will invigorate you.”

Romaltus smiled at her, feeling pride that his faith in the Dark Lord once again was justified. “We will heal them all, my love,” he said. “All those faithful.”

This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.