Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » TEEN TITANS (spoilers possible) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: TEEN TITANS (spoilers possible)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lots of threads about different TITANS members, but none about the book itself?

I was thrilled by the spread concluding #22... can't wait to see some of these folks in action! I hope there's room for updates... what has Red Star been up to, for instance?

What do you think about Dr. Light's usage?

I guess the current issue is a bit overshadowed by the BIG news about a certain former Titan's return (which I'm *really* looking forward to...), as well as cover solicits revealing some interesting developments concerning a current Titan and former YJer.

But I think this is a storyline to which much of the book has been building. Much like the ROGUES WAR over in FLASH.

I just realized... the most recent issues of JSA, FLASH and TEEN TITANS... all written by Geoff Johns... all featuring story-ending a splash page/pages featuring lineups of really great characters.

For that, I can *almost* forgive what happened in COUNTDOWN.

[ May 18, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Pov ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Me, too, ML. It was one of the things that makes the Titans different than other groups. For the most part, the idea is "once a Titan, always a Titan" (though this rule mostly only applies to those who worked with Dick - Roy's team didn't hold up so well on that front). Note that these former Titans *still* think of themselves as Titans, and Wally has always sided with them when it came down to making choices.

As for Doctor Light, I think I like the idea of him being ruthless. But that's only as good as a writer's willingness to show him do some truly terrible things (before being caught).

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Todd, you can be quite certain I was thrilled with this issue.

Any comic featuring The Hornblower, Bumblebee and Duela Dent (lookin' WAY hot!!) is jake in my book, ESPECIALLY if said comic features them as it should-- AS CARD-CARRYING MEMBERS of the Titans! Bless you, Geoff Johns!

ps/ Todd, if you aren't reading HAWKMAN you're totally missing out on Titans-related grooviness there.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I was mildly disappointed in #23. We didn't really learn anything about any of the long-unseen characters... though there were a couple of decent fight scenes-- and a nice narration scene regarding Nightwing.

I imagine a newer Titans reader might've been completely lost-- as there was never any explanation of who some of the characters were or of the nature of their superpowers.

I thought the end of the fight was somewhat anticlimactic-- though I enjoyed seeing the character who 'took point' doing so.

Still, I wanted to know just a bit about the *lives* of characters like Duela Dent, Red Star, Bumblebee, Flamebird, Tempest etc. etc. etc.

Kudos for using them, but boo to the extent of their usage.

There really needs to be a SECRET FILES updating these characters.

And, considering the time-travel story, wouldn't Superboy and co. *want* to keep Duela (and others) in the fold?

Tempest, especially, needs some 'onscreen time' somewhere or another.

Is Starfire now considered an OUTSIDER rather than a TITAN? That surprised me a bit.

So, Doc Light's now headed over to the Gail Simone VILLAINS (Unlimited? Inc.? I forget--) book. Hmmm. I was never really clear on exactly what those bursts of light were doing to the Titans that incapacitated them so... you'd think they would have passed around some protective eyewear of some kind.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Well, Todd, you can be quite certain I was thrilled with this issue.

Any comic featuring The Hornblower, Bumblebee and Duela Dent (lookin' WAY hot!!) is jake in my book, ESPECIALLY if said comic features them as it should-- AS CARD-CARRYING MEMBERS of the Titans! Bless you, Geoff Johns!

ps/ Todd, if you aren't reading HAWKMAN you're totally missing out on Titans-related grooviness there.

Johns waffled a bit about the extent of Duela's role with the TITANS in #23-- or at least had one character speak for Titans readers who might have doubts about her.

Hornblower had a pretty good scene...

I *am* reading HAWKMAN, Lash-- and I still don't know what to make of GOLDEN EAGLE. He seems too good to be true. How nice it'd be if that meant there were only minor cracks in his persona. However, I'm expecting the revelation that he's a major creep up to no good to come down the pike anytime now.

I kind of like the weird collection of villains that are appearing. Though I want a little background. Has HUMMINGBIRD appeared before? I've never heard of her. FADEAWAY MAN and LIONMANE are good villains... I hope they aren't forgotten when this storyline concludes.

Have you read this week's issue? Now *that* one had a major jawdropper of a last page! I won't spoil it if you hadn't-- but wowzer! Didn't see that one comin'...

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't one character say that Duela was a member "for like two seconds" (paraphrased)? I'm not sure that's different from the pre-Crisis version.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I was very excited about that ending. All those former Titans. Cool! Titans is one of my fave titles right behind JSA. Geoff Johns is a master.

Few nit pick probs I have. As much as I love the former Titans I like the new ones as well. I hope we don't stray much into classic Titans history. Much like the X-Universe stay with the classics and the new classics don't bring back Maggot. [Wink]

In other words Johns better have a good story for bringing back what I always considered a lame character (even as a kid) Duela Dent. (No offense to DD fans sorry)

Trust me I love my old Titans. Grew up with them. But after Cyborg, Changeling, Raven, Starefire and Nightwing...eh. Give me the new blood. [Wink]

Nit pick over. TITANS ROCK! Loved last issue. Dr. Light is gonna get whupped.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I liked it, though I wanted to see more of the old gang.

Duela was one of the first to attack!! Heh heh! She should have zapped him with her lipstick gun or assauted him with her sleeping powder puff!

And here's some info for STUPORboy-- even a "two seconds" membership is STILL a membership, Clone-El!

Yeah, Geoff could have made the B-Bee, Mal and Duela more effective, but at least he IS using them, and they fared no worse than anyone else other than Cyborg. Cyborg's line about the others "softening Dr. Light up" for him was classy and kind.

Duela Dent on a TEEN TITANS cover.... been a LOOOOOONG while since I've seen that...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Lash, my point about saying that she was a member for "two seconds" is to say that she WAS a member. Previously, Duela was just a loony who thought she was a member. Now it's actually true.

--------------------
Dan

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Right! So Superboy can take his smartass comment and ram it!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

(Superboy's "two seconds" comment was intended as a put-down to Duela, though it does serve the purpose of letting her fans know she has indeed been unretconned back into Teen Titans continuity as a member, so I guess I'll let ol' Clone-El by this time).

Interesting DUELA DENT Fun-Fact:

At one point, Duela Dent (then known as HARLEQUIN) was semi-popular enough to be considered for and granted her own 8-PAGE BACKUP series back in the day when all DC titles were expanding in page count!

Now, I may have the time-frame wrong in my memory, but it seems it could have been the DC "Implosion" that ended it before it began. If memory serves, her backup was going to run in the aborted VIXEN series that was advertised but never saw the light of day. What's for sure is for SOME reason the stories never saw print, but scripts for those tales have floated around the 'net before.

Duela never had her backup tales and wasn't used again in the batbooks. Then Marv Wolfman came along and made TEEN TITANS an undeniable hit.

Unfortuantely for Duela Dent, he HATED her character, and TEEN TITANS was a huge enough hit that DC pretty much gave Wolfman power supreme over Titans history.

So it came to pass that Duela (along with unfrozen caveman mechanic Gnarrk) was removed from Teen Titans continuity!

Hooray Geoff Johns for restoring Duela!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the latest issue a lot. I think this is the first time besides #1-25 of New Teen Titans by Perez and Wolfman that I've actually been a big fan of Cyborg.

And they've certainly made Dr. Light as unlikeable as possible. By merely helping him, Deathstroke is that much more of a bastard.

Oh, and I'm really digging Mia as Speedy!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like the long-simmering Superboy DNA subplot is coming to a head in #24. Who's yer Daddy?! [Superboy - Kon-El]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ugh! Buy why the name Speedy? Couldn't they have come up with something more...contemporary?

What was the rationale for this codename choice, anyway? I don't follow Green Arrow.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Like "Robin" for Batman, Speedy is THE name of the Green Arrow's sidekick.

Background: Speedy was the original sidekick for Green Arrow. Roy Harper (now Arsenal of the Outsiders) was an orphan raised by a native american shaman. When he first came in contact with GA, he wowed Ollie with the speed of his arrow work. Hence the codename Speedy.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.