Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kid Prime's room! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  84  85  86   
Author Topic: Kid Prime's room!
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah... it also really BUGS me in Armada when they transform, they say "Transform!" like they have to TELL themselves to transform. And what about the old cool transforming noise? That was one of the coolest things!

Eryk, let me get my thoughts together regarding the movie... I'll post on it later tonight.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Heh. "Gobots..."

:-)

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
You have no idea how long I had to wrack my brain for that bad memory...
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the Transformers movie a lot. It wasn't as good once they got rid of Optimus and Megatron, but I liked the more brutal depiction of the Autobot / Decepticon war and the animation was great for the most part and hey, it gave us that immortal themesong "The Touch" (you've got the touch! You're got the power!! oh yeah...)

"Light our darkest hour..."

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

My thoughts on the movie...

It opened up very cool, showing Unicron in all his planet-devouring glory. I agree with Drake regarding most of the music. Sure, it was all 80's synthesized power-pop, but "The Touch" was a GREAT theme song (anybody remember its appearence in Boogie Nights? I almost fell out of my seat), as well as "Dare."

The voice acting was very solid. Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy, and Orson Welles, in addition to the regular marvelous cast of the cartoon. The animation was good, sometimes great.

The positives:

The first 20-30 minutes of the film are dynamite, and frankly nail-biting if you loved the cartoon, since you honestly didn't know which Autobot was going to buy the farm next.

The moment when Optimus Prime steps out of the Autobot cruiser and says "Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost!" and then proceeds to kick the ENTIRE Decepticon army's collective ass on the way to his ultimate knock-down drag-out fight with Megatron is the greatest sequence in the entirety of the 20-year history of the Transformers.

"Ow, my foot!" Putting Starscream in situations where he whines like a little schoolgirl is always great fun.

Whoever choreographed the fight sequences in the movie did a great job.

The new characters (Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, Springer, Arcee, Kup, Blurr) were all wonderful, and great additions to the cast.

The negatives:

Too much carnage, which led to unfortunately never seeing most of the pre-movie characters ever again.

Prime's death. Though it was very emotional and worked in the context of the movie, it was probably the worst move the producers ultimately ever made.

Wheelie. 'Nuff Said. He bugs me still today.

The movie was the first time Grimlock the professional comedian and softy came out to play, and he stayed in that mode throughout the rest of the series. I preferred him as a bad-ass.

Daniel. Was there EVER any human more useless throughout the series?

In closing, Eryk, I love the movie because it meant a lot to me as a kid, and I honestly like the post-movie episodes of the series for their more cosmic feel and scope (though nothing is as good as the first season)... but did the Transformers ultimately jump the shark with the release of the movie?

Unfortunately, probably so. But I still love the movie.

[ July 08, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Kid Prime ]

--------------------

DrakeB3004

What'd you think of "Beast Wars"? I watched it a few times and it seemed as though they were getting into some philosophical stuff about Cybertron (didn't Marv Wolfman work on it?), but I couldn't get into the computer art or the fact that they turned into animals instead of cars (call me old fashioned).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

At first, I HATED the show, but when I realized they were tying it into continuity by having the Animal-bots come to Earth AFTER the Ark crashed but BEFORE they were reawakened, that was pretty damn cool.

The dialogue and characterization was very simplistic compared to the old cartoon, though.

My fave- when the Maximals and Predacons happen upon the Ark, and all the Autobots and Decepticons are laying there, still deactivated. Pretty good stuff (though I couldn't sit through episodes which had nothing to do with the old show.)

--------------------

Kid Prime
Founder

<<Moving over to another Transformer, laser pointer in hand>>

2. Megatron

-

No one is really quite exactly sure what circumstances led to the creation of Megatron. However, it is known that one day millions of years ago, deep in the heart of Cybertron, Megatron was born... and eons of peace between Autobots and Decepticons ended.

Megatron moved quickly to consolidate his power base, recruiting those who shared his ambitions to his army, and reprogramming many of those who did not. It was only the emergence of Optimus Prime as Autobot leader that slowed Megatron's march toward dominion over all Transformer life. The never-ending war between Autobot and Decepticon forces over millenia eventually drained the energy resources of Cybertron to the point that both armies were struggling for their very survival, when Megatron learned of an Autobot gambit to end the war once and for all by leaving their homeworld in search of new energy sources. Megatron ambushed the Autobot expedition led by Prime, and in so doing inadvernently caused the crash of both armies into the primitive, yet energy-rich third planet of a yellow star system. That planet was Earth.

Megatron's primary goal on Earth is to harvest Earth's vast natural resources to his personal cause: the conquest of Cybertron, the utter defeat of the Autobots, and utter domination over everything he can see and touch. In this aim, Megatron continually hatches increasingly-ingenious plots to suck the Earth dry of all its resources. His lust for conquest knows no bounds. He rules the Decepticon forces through a mix of intimidation, fear, and respect.

Megatron transforms into one of the most powerful weapons in the galaxy. Only the most-heavily shielded Autobots can hope to survive more than a very few blasts. Megatron is Optimus Prime's equal in strength and fighting ability, and perhaps his better in firepower. However, though Megatron posesses ferocious determination to his goals, his courage ultimately is no match for Oprimus Prime's. However, this is only a small weakness when compared to the awesome power that is Megatron. Megatron is the enemy of all who cherish freedom, and a more than worthy adversary to Prime.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And here I thought I was a big geek for knowing what I do about the Legion. Caroline puts up with the Legion and my comic books well enough, I don't dare start in on something like the Transformers.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

It's probably just as well... cause it WOULD suck you in! :-)

Actually, it seems to be mainly a cult following made up chiefly of those who the series and toys affected at the time. But yeah, for those of us who love it, we LOVE IT!!!

Anyway... MLLASH sked me to describe each Transformer in detail... [Phantom Girl]

--------------------

matlock
Advisory

KP, can I pick your brain a little? What was the Autobot that turned into a red van? The van came into two pieces, the bottom part with the wheels was the body and the upper part became this sort of sled looking vehicle. That was the only good Transformer I had when I was a kid, and I can't remember the name.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

<<moving over with my laser pointer to a particular favorite of mine, a certain red van who was just mentioned>>

3. Ironhide

-

Ironhide is probably the oldest, toughest, onriest, and most loyal of the Autobots. Together with Jazz and Prowl, they make up kind of a Autobot deputy leader triumvirate, with Ironhide as a de facto head of security for the team. In moments of crisis, he has a tendency to step in for Prime if needed. Most of the other Autobots respect his age and experience, even if a few of the "hotshots" of the team find him to be fairly antiquated in design and methodology. Generally, detractors of Ironhide know better than to voice their antipathy, lest they be on the recieving end of a "nickel-knuckle sandwich." While not a softy by anyone's standards, Ironhide is actually one of the kindest of the Autobots, in a gruff sort of way.

Ironhide's primary asset in battle is his heavy armored hide, impervious to all but the very most destructive of Decepticon weaponry. He is also one of the strongest of the Autobots, though not particularly fast or agile. His primary weapon is his "water gun," which shoots out different chemical compounds ranging from liquid hydrogen guaranteed to put a freeze on things to gluey compounds meant to really stick it to the Decepticons. While not the most intelligent of Autobots by any standard, he is absolutely one of the most loyal to Optimus Prime, going so far as to act as a bodyguard for the Autobot leader.

--------------------

DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
At first, I HATED the show, but when I realized they were tying it into continuity by having the Animal-bots come to Earth AFTER the Ark crashed but BEFORE they were reawakened, that was pretty damn cool.

Waitaminute -- you mean the leader of the Autobots (or whatever they were called) wasn't Optimus Prime? I thought it was...
matlock
Advisory

Hey, KP thanks for the lowdown on Ironhide. I wish I'd been able to get more of them back in the day. I had a friend at the time that had scads of them, so at least I got to play with 'em.

PS: This may be a little obscure but did you ever hear a song by an old punk band called "I wanna be Omega Supreme?" The group was called AMQA (Apple Maggot Quarantine Area, they were from Washington state or some apple-producing place.) A friend had it on a old vinyl EP, which I have a truly crappy 15 year old dubbed cassette floating around somewhere.

I wanna be Omega Supreme
I wanna lead the Transformers Team
Optimus Prime will be my friend
Decepticon terror comin' to an end.

Words cannot do the song justice. This was back when punk was still more-or-less DIY, not to be confused with todays top 40 wannabees.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[Cool]

Hey! KP, you just tweaked my memories. I had Ironhide as a kid. As well as a few others. Maybe after you show them I'll remember who else I had.

I wonder what I did with my Transformers? They must be in a box at my mom's house somewhere. Hmmm....

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  84  85  86   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.