Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread (Page 35)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
This is a little old, but just came back into my mind.

Went to a local eating chain for a carry out. The girl behind the take out counter was helping someone so I stood a respectable distance back and waited. The man sat down, and I moved forward a little and the girl looked at me and then started doing something on the register/computer. Fixing something from the looks of it.

I waited about 5 minutes whole she finished. I again took a step forward and she looked at me and turned and walked away. She went and talked to someone, came back, looked right at me again and turned and walked away again.

I asked the next worker I saw for the manager, who it turns out had come up when the girl was working on the problem to help her with it.

I explained the situation and added that I would have been fine if the girl had said one acknowledging word to me that she would be with me as soon as she could. But she said nothing. I made it clear that I was there to order, yet nothing.

The manager did what she should and aasked me what she could do for me to make it alright. I know full well that I could have gotten my daughters meal for free, but I simply said to her that I would not be coming back there and that she had lost a regular customer because her employees had no customer service training apparently. ]]I can handle people being busy. I can handle people needing to go get help for something...but acknowledge your customer and let them know that you will help them.

Did not want that girl to loose her job or anything...but I also do not want her to ever treat another customer like that. I saw the manager talking to her as I got in my car to leave...the manager did not look happy. Hannah loved the pizza I got her though. [Wink]

One of my pet peeves is when the cashier at the grocery store talks with the bagger while ring up my order.

I usually use the self-check-out now.

I also have extreme patience with a customer service rep who is busy, but working.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay...seriously peeved off right now. Yesterday, I needed to refill my insulin prescriptions. We have a $40 co-pay for these so my wife went with $80 to get them. The Cashier at the pharmacy told her the total was $200.

Now...I called Medco, because my insurance is only open bankers hours during the week, and they said that it was due to the cost of the medication going up.

Went on to the providers site and found that if the price went up, it was less than 10%...as opposed to the 150% my co-pay went up. So not buying that.

Now, here's a more likely option. My plan requires that we see a Dr. and have paperwork sent in to receive the maximum benifits. Found out late this week that neither of us had had our paperworkk sent in by our Doctors office. That would probably explain the jump in prescription prices...and is not going to bode well for them when I get off work tomorrow and go up to their office to ask them what they are going to do about screwing me out of $120 the week before Christmas because their staff is incompetent.

I won't yell or scream or do anything that could get me thrown out, but I will leave with some sort of plan from them as to how they are going to rectify the situation...if it is indeed their fault.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't feel alone. one diabetes med... $200 for one month. the other, $16. So, my doctor gives me a card that is supposed to cut it to ten and four, affordable, right?

Nope, walmart says the card is only in conjunction with regular insurance, which I no longer have because Carols' former company, Monster, is cutting jobs left and right as they head into the crapper.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Ric...check with the the drug makers. They may have a prescription assistance program. My two insulin's did and I got them for free when I did not have pharmacy coverage.

Turns out it was indeed the Doctors Office fault for screwing up our forms. Now everything, including Hannah's 2 Hospital stays and other 2 E-Room visits have to be resubmitted.

I also have a long road trying to get reimbursed for the Docs screw up costing me 120 more than it should of right before Christmas.

Xanax is a wonderful thing...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Dev. Need to do something. And after all this, I'm seriously thinkin' bout waky weed, lol. *not really.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Just FYI, not preaching: many diabetics have gotten off their meds by following a plant-based diet with no added fats. Some info here.

The movie Forks over Knives is very informative on this subject as well. Dr. Neal Barnard is another advocate of this diet to eliminate diabetes.

Following this type of diet sent my cholesterol, blood pressure and weight plummeting - to very healthy levels - in the course of four months. Just something to look into (and probably wait until after Xmas, 'cause there's no turkey, no butter and no apple pie - but I couldn't believe how much fantastic food is allowed.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for sharing this, Cramer. I think it's worthy of FB posting.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Hmmm?]

Actually I'm reading Linda Bacon's Health At Every Size right now, with its "Eff All Diets" philosophy. I only wish I'd discovered it twenty years ago, before I got pulled into stupid fad diets and disordered thinking about food that, if anything, probably made me fatter in the present than I would have been otherwise.

Via wiki's page about the book. (There are copious footnotes, BTW.)

quote:
...Recent evidence from scientific studies have provided rationales for a shift in focus in health management from a weight loss to a weight-neutral outcome.[5] In 2005, a study of around 3000 Finns over an 18-year period showed that weight loss from dieting can result in increased mortality, while those who maintained their weight fared the best.[6][7] Similar conclusion is drawn by other studies where intentional weight loss is found to be associated with slightly increased mortality for healthy individuals and the slightly overweight but not obese.[8][5][9] This may reflect the loss of subcutaneous fat and beneficial mass from organs and muscle in addition to visceral fat when there is a sudden and dramatic weight loss.[7] Intentional weight loss appears to be of benefit only to those classified as unhealthy.[8]

Long-term studies of dieting also indicate that the majority of individuals who dieted regain virtually all of the weight that was lost after dieting, regardless of whether they maintain their diet or exercise program.[5]

(link to wiki)

To be clear, Bacon is not a fan of the quasi-compulsory meat-eating that's such a big part of U.S. culture. Nor does she dismiss the negative impact of excessive fast food on the health of North Americans. But she takes considerable pain to do what few other experts on food issues do when talking to the public: She de-couples the supposedly obvious link between a spare tire around your waist and an early grave.

I found this noteworthy, because both mr_cleome and I are overweight, but neither of us currently suffers from high blood pressure, heart trouble, or diabetes.

Another study I checked into when reading Bacon's book and related works was one that pointed out extra weight as a protective factor in certain diseases. PKD, for example, which I inherited from my late father, has better survival rates in its later stages for patients who have a little extra fat on our bones.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
About 6 months ago I started eating mainly greens, raw or steamed vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and fish. I've been exercising more regularly too. I've lost 20+ pounds, and I just found out today that my cholesterol has dropped to a good number and all my other numbers are good as well.

My starting point was Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. There's no "diet'; just learn what's healthy to eat and season it in healthy ways. The surprising thing was that (1) I really like healthy food prepared well, and (2) I don't crave the unhealthy food I used to eat. I used to eat 2 to 3 cartons of Ben & Jerry's a week; now I don't even desire ice cream. That said, I don't feel guilty for eating a little ice cream or anything else now and then. I'm just satisfied with having a little of it.

I wish I had done this years ago.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Lots of good info, guys. thanks.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Dr. Fuhrman's another good one, pretty much the same as McDougall and Barnard, and he has a new book out on eliminating diabetes (haven't read it).

A lot of us (especially women) have spent a lifetime on one diet after another, with little regard to health. I don't see anything wrong with extra pounds if your health is good, but these things have a way of catching up with you in middle age.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.