Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Faraway Lad and the boy with UltraPowers meet ..... Barry Kitson !! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Faraway Lad and the boy with UltraPowers meet ..... Barry Kitson !!
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
he even drew the shape of wings in the shadows !!! intending the character, to be Dawny !!!

Is this the panel you're talking about?

-

I hope we get to see that page with a grinning Legion down in Texas at WW. That sounds really cool.

No wonder Barry sidetracked my Dawnstar question so quickly a few weeks back. This is great news tBwUP...and I loved it that he signed it to your LMBP name too. That space rocks!

and thank you thank you thank you for posting the pencilled version of that page...and I'm incredibly jealous that you own it and not me [Big Grin]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi guys - hope you don't mind me jumping in - just to clarify the Element Lad thing - he doesn't have a regal background and isn't 'actually mystical' but has that kind of edge. I expect I was trying to draw and talk at the same time and thought Matthew was looking at PP for the regal thing when he was actually looking at the EL design (they're both on the same piece of paper). Sorry for any confusion!
[Smile]

Also I should caution that the notes Matthew and Darden read on my sketch sheets were MY preliminary thoughts and don't necessarily reflect where we ended up with the characters [Big Grin]

It was great meeting Darden again and getting to meet Matthew - both seem extremely good guys! Especially as neither took a picture of me [Wink]
The world isn't ready that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
We're tough here, Barry - we could stand to see a few photos! [Wink]

This Legion sounds better and better, thanks for the report, Matt! It seems it will be well-detailed with respect to background (the city, the tech, etc.) and character interplay, which should add a lot of texture to the stories.

I like the idea of Element Lad as an alchemist - I'd see his "mystical" side to be more his personality/attitude than his actual super-power. Perhaps it's that mystical bent that attracts him to Projectra, and vice-versa.

Lyle's costume has a lot of pockets? Made me think of Batman's utility belt - maybe Lyle will be more the spy/sleuth in this version?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi guys - hope you don't mind me jumping in - just to clarify the Element Lad thing - he doesn't have a regal background and isn't 'actually mystical' but has that kind of edge. I expect I was trying to draw and talk at the same time and thought Matthew was looking at PP for the regal thing when he was actually looking at the EL design (they're both on the same piece of paper). Sorry for any confusion!
[Smile]

Also I should caution that the notes Matthew and Darden read on my sketch sheets were MY preliminary thoughts and don't necessarily reflect where we ended up with the characters [Big Grin]

It was great meeting Darden again and getting to meet Matthew - both seem extremely good guys! Especially as neither took a picture of me [Wink]
The world isn't ready that! [Big Grin]

thanks for clearing up some points !!

i forgot those "insights" were on the character design pages, so there's nothing to say that these will be the in the finished book ....

hope i didn't give anything away, Barry [Embarrassed]

i guess you can tell, i'm just excited about what Darden and i saw [Smile]

and i know you guy's are love it when issue #1 comes out in December ......

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

hope i didn't give anything away, Barry [Embarrassed]

Matthew. [/QB]

Nope, you're doing great Matthew! [Smile]

(thank goodness you didn't mention about Nano Lass being a vampire [Wink] )

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenzilKem3004
Ambassador from Legion_3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenzilKem3004   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you Barry (and Matt!) for givin' the scoop. I feel like I'm watching one of those celebrity worship shows that are everywhere now a days ("Next: Princess Projectra! She's royal, she's stylish... but could there be an ELEMENT of love on the horizon?")

Heh!

And Barry (you can tell your partner in crime this too), I love the Legion, but have not been THIS enthused about the series in a LONG TIME. People can argue the last Reboot to death, and there were good and bad points, but everything I've seen about this series just seems RIGHT. Exactly what I was hoping for a long time: The perfect blend of those fundamental things that make the Legion the Legion, but enough change to keep it fresh and progressive.

[Matter Eater Lad] Oh, look at me, I'm a cute little Tenzil... won't somebody put me in the new Legion series?

--------------------
"Tenzil Kem, at your soivice!"

Mr. Waid, BRING BACK TENZIL!

JOIN THE CAUSE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004 (The SOURCE for Waid/Kitson's Legion fandom)

From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Hi Tenzil - Thanks!
[Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

TenzilKem3004
Ambassador from Legion_3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenzilKem3004   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Any time buddy...

And Nano Lass being a vampire?? Wouldn't that be more like Mosquito Lass? Heheh. *Grabs can of Deep-Space Off*

Jason (wildchild2oo4-Legion_3004 Group Owner)

[ October 24, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: TenzilKem3004 ]

--------------------
"Tenzil Kem, at your soivice!"

Mr. Waid, BRING BACK TENZIL!

JOIN THE CAUSE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legion_3004 (The SOURCE for Waid/Kitson's Legion fandom)

From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:

Have to say I'm a bit wary as well. More because of his origin than being anti-mystical mage. I know it'll sound like I'm just pining for the preboot, but Jan's origin story was one of the richest of the era. He's one of those last of his kind heroes and he had the misfortune to watch his race killed, which was worse than Superman's fate. Then his interplay with Roxxas provided some brilliant material especially for Giffen. I was very disappointed when I saw a lot of that wasted with the post-boot.

I know, no one wants stories re-told, but I felt there were plenty not told to begin with.

I agree about Jan's origin... in addition to a similarity to Superman's, Jan's origin also has (guess I should say 'had' [Frown] ) a lot in common with Batman's (the *witnessing* of his people's death... a people he actually grew up among). And with Wonder Woman's, in that Trom seemed in both pre and reboot to be an isolated, idealistic community in which the training of its citizens abilities was paramount.

I always valued Jan's power as rooted in *science* (comic book science that it is) and not in magic.

Todd

[ October 24, 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
[Smile]

Thanks for clarifying, Barry. That's comforting... to me at least.

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamz
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hamz   Author's Homepage   Email Hamz         Edit/Delete Post     
The Boy with Ultra Powers wrote: "Lyle's costume also looked cool !!! [ not sure if that was the finished version, we forgot to ask Barry ] but he wears a 3/4 length jacket with loads of pockets. it looks great !!! and it has the INVISIBLE KID logo on the back"

Hi Matthew,
Would you please describe Lyle's costume in more detail?? What do you mean by a 3/4 length coat? Is the Invisible Kid logo like the one on his chest? Is there a headband? I love all the new designs so far and can't wait to see Lyle's.

From: NW Indiana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Right, I just got back from london after a day doing some sight seeing, and I am too tired to talk right now, plus Gigi is sitting next to me and I think that might be a hint [Big Grin]

So, I bought two pages from Barry and I love em, I'll get them posted tomorrow. (I hope)

I was able to ear bash Barry quite a bit on the ride up to the train station and get a bit more information, but Matt has covered a lot of it so far.

(Hi Matt really good to actually meet you after all this time. After your false start that is [Big Grin] )

AND

I got to see something no one else did. But I am sworn to secrecy [Razz]

All I will say is

WOW!!!!!!!

You lot are going to be really animated come December

[LOL]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If we survive the torture until then.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I think I may finally be shifting from cautiously pessimistic back to guardidly optimistic. Especially if this Dawnstar rumor turns out to be true!

Barry seems like a pretty nice guy who genuinly has a passion for the Legion and its fans. I appreciate his constant dialogue with us here on the boards. Although it hasn't been much in the way of revealing, it has gone a long way to assuage my fears that this was nothing more than a corporate decision to try to artificially boost the sales of a sagging title. He seems to have a legitimate interest in the characters and has gone out of his way to encourage us to give the new title a try. I'm not saying the new title gets a free pass, but I will definitly be giving it a try now!

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
quote:
he even drew the shape of wings in the shadows !!! intending the character, to be Dawny !!!

Is this the panel you're talking about?

-

I hope we get to see that page with a grinning Legion down in Texas at WW. That sounds really cool.

No wonder Barry sidetracked my Dawnstar question so quickly a few weeks back. This is great news tBwUP...and I loved it that he signed it to your LMBP name too. That space rocks!

and thank you thank you thank you for posting the pencilled version of that page...and I'm incredibly jealous that you own it and not me [Big Grin]

no !! sorry !!

the picture i was refering to, was the teaser pic that appeared in "Wizard" to promote the new title !!

i asked Barry if the silhouette's that he featured in the promo, were intended to be actual LEGIONNAIRES !!?? or just silhouette's ??

and that was when he said, they could be ULTRA BOY, SHADOW LASS, LIGHINING LAD and PHANTOM GIRL ..... or she could have been ..... Dawnstar !!! because in the shadows, he drew the slight outline of wings !!!

hope that clears it up a little [Smile]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.