Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Faraway Lad and the boy with UltraPowers meet ..... Barry Kitson !! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Faraway Lad and the boy with UltraPowers meet ..... Barry Kitson !!
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally before I head off to Bedfordshire, two comments overheard at the Con which made me smile.

Rich Johnson, he of the "lying in the gutters" colume, announced to the assembled room at a panel he was chairing that he was so impressed with the New Legion that he had put it on his pull list for Decmber and he had never read the Legion before.

Dan Didio when asked what was coming in the next year that really excited him said JLA and the Legion. He then went on for a good five minutes expounding the vison and work of Waid and Kitson and saying how good this project was. Now in all the con's I have been to I have never had the panel speakers praise the legion like this. in fact we hardly ever get a mention. Now they are talking up the Legion to be the next Titans.

So, It seems that the industry is excited about this Legion, and that they are expecting great things of it. I'm also pleased that DC also seem to be firmly behind this series and wonder if that means we may see some real push behind this re launch.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Matthew isn't the only one who needs to clean out his PM box Faraway. [Mad]

[Big Grin]

OOOPs [Roll Eyes]

Let me attend to that fearless leader dude

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Done and done [Big Grin]

Now off to beddy bys I think. See you guys tomorrow.

--------------------
Faithfull

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Done and done [Big Grin]

Now off to beddy bys I think. See you guys tomorrow.

good night Darden !!!

and thanks for filling in the places, that i'd missed !!!

i hope you guy's can see how excited we both were, after talking to Barry and seeing his pages and character designs !!!

i totally believe that this new Legion of Super Heroes is going to be amazing [Smile]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Hamz:
The Boy with Ultra Powers wrote: "Lyle's costume also looked cool !!! [ not sure if that was the finished version, we forgot to ask Barry ] but he wears a 3/4 length jacket with loads of pockets. it looks great !!! and it has the INVISIBLE KID logo on the back"

Hi Matthew,
Would you please describe Lyle's costume in more detail?? What do you mean by a 3/4 length coat? Is the Invisible Kid logo like the one on his chest? Is there a headband? I love all the new designs so far and can't wait to see Lyle's.

hey there !!!

the character designs for LYLE [ that i saw ] didn't feature him with a headband [ or so i remember ?? ]

but the jacket with the pockets, did feature his INVISIBLE KID logo on the back !!!

the same stylised i that was on his post-boot costume .....

Matthew.

[ October 25, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: the boy with UltraPowers ]

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Faraway Lad]
{ Well not to rain on your parade Grey but Barry did say that the idea of Dawny appearing was somewhat knocked back by the naming convention. [...] }

Although I'll take what clues I can get, and am glad for them, I have to say that this is entirely back-asswards. Letting conformity to a naming convention decide what characters are (re)introduced? That's letting a fringe element (pun about Dawnstar intended) determine the core of the story.

If Waid is this fixated on such a trivial element in deciding his cast, and has impressed it enough upon his collaborator as to make him say this to you ... I'm suddenly more fearful about the success of this rereboot. What other nonessentials will take center stage in their attention?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but names have not been what drives the Legion mythos.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Waid said in one of the recent interviews that not every character will have a lad/lass/boy/girl name or must have a lad/lass/boy/girl name, so I don't see how Dawny could be "knocked back" by a non-existant naming convention. Plus in Shrinking Violet's case, her name was simply changed to include lass/girl, so the same could easily be done for Dawny. Perhaps Darden's just teasing?
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I can not wait to meet Barry..he sounds like a great guy.

Matthew - how much was the art you purchased?
I would love to get some of Barrys art as well.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys - I have to thank Darden and Matthew for making me sound a lot nicer than I actually am [Smile]

<Perhaps Darden's just teasing?>
I think perhaps I should take responsibility for that bit of teasing....searching for a guilty Graemlin....a smaile will have to do...
[Smile]

The names thing is part of 'where the Legionnaires are at' (please excuse the horrible phraseology) at this stage in their development as a group. They are choosing the boy/girl/lass names as tribute to the conventions of super-heroes of the 21st century that have inspired them. Some of course, like Brainiac are determined to opt out. If Dawnstar had been right for the group at the #1 stage we would have found a way to include her - her omission doesn't mean she will or won't appear later.... [Smile]

She was in the 'teaser piece' because we hadn't finalized the starting line-up then...and well, I wanted to draw her. [Big Grin]

For anybody interested in the notorious 'grinning legionnaires page' and how it differed to the final version, I'm starting a thread called 'From sketch to inks' which will have the image in it and the final black white inked version of the page from previews (thanks to Nightcrawler's hosting again). hope you enjoy comparing them to each other and with Matthew's sketch page. [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, thank you for once again being candid. I hope it came across that what I don't see as being promising about the "naming convention" is rooted, not in indignation about what I think I see, but in wanting the best for what I do see.

{ They are choosing the boy/girl/lass names as tribute to the conventions of super-heroes of the 21st century that have inspired them. [...]}

The irony here, o'course, being that this is about a half-century off, as these conventions were far more a product of the 1950s. They're a tribute to Waid's nostalgia. Nothing inherently bad about that, but some such nostalgia has burned us before.

{ If Dawnstar had been right for the group at the #1 stage we would have found a way to include her - her omission doesn't mean she will or won't appear later. ... }

That at least says you're seriously considering her, in some sense, which is what I'd expected and hoped for any creative team that was using past characters as you are. If she does appear, it'll be a welcome bonus.

{ She was in the 'teaser piece' because we hadn't finalized the starting line-up then ... and well, I wanted to draw her. }

Was this figure -- using Matthew's description -- meant to be Dawnstar, then? If it was, I do have to wonder why you omitted any trace of her wings. (That I can see. But I look for those.)

-

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

<perhaps Dardens Just teasing>

YUP [Big Grin]

Sorry guys but maybe its all down to my strange sense of humour. I did say, or at thought I had, that the name situation would not, in and of itself, stop Dawny appearing later if the story merited it.

Anyway I wanted to stir up a bit of discussion and thought that comment might do it. [Big Grin]

Grey, dont worry over much. I think, from your previous posts, you are going to like the artwork on this new legion. I also think, from what I have seen that, the first issue is going to be a pleaser for us all.

If I have understood all that was said (and again Barry please correct me if my memory is at fault here) this is going to be a great jumping on point whether you know and love the Legion or have never read it before.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:

Was this figure -- using Matthew's description -- meant to be Dawnstar, then? If it was, I do have to wonder why you omitted any trace of her wings. (That I can see. But I look for those.)

-

Posting at the same time Grey.

When we saw the black and whites to that image Barry pointed to part of the drawing and it was possible to just very very faintly see down between her right hand and leg (the hand with the L ring) the outlines of what might have been feathers. I think looking at the final version the colours and printing process have covered these remains over.

Of course Barry could just be teasing again and I fell for it [Smile]

--------------------
Faithfull

Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You were spot on, Darden! [Smile]

Hi Greybird - Bear in mind that over ten centuries a lot of history gets 'blurred' and our Legion's interpretation of the 20th/21st centuries may not quite be exactly accurate [Smile]

The coloring was used to obscure the hint of wings as between my drawing the piece and it going to print the decision not to include Dawnstar in #1 had been taken.

Hope that clears things up! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't believe Matt or Darden about Saturn Girl's or Triplicate Girl's capes. [Wink]

But everything else sounds very cool. Man Dawnstar would've rocked! Mostly cause just having early members scares me a bit. doh!

I agree with those that having a powerful character like Element Lad also be the last of his powerful race was very cool. ohwell.

I always thought Sunboy's chest emblem rocked! Along with Garth's animated lightning!

And on a wierd positive note? The preview made the SPs look really cool. I've always been a big fan of the SPs! Don't know why...maybe cause Levitz/Giffen handled them so well...with some of them being supportive characters...and sometimes used for comedy. I may be rooting for the SPs at times in this series. They would make cool adversaries!

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamz
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hamz   Author's Homepage   Email Hamz         Edit/Delete Post     
[][/QUOTE]hey there !!!

the character designs for LYLE [ that i saw ] didn't feature him with a headband [ or so i remember ?? ]

but the jacket with the pockets, did feature his INVISIBLE KID logo on the back !!!

the same stylised <font size="50">i</font s> that was on his post-boot costume .....

Matthew. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks Matthew! I appreciate it :-)

From: NW Indiana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.