Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter: It's Official (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Shooter: It's Official
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know all that much about him, other that he wrote Legion as a teenager. And I understand that he was big at Marvel. What else has he written (as an adult)? Is he good? I'm asking, because I've been hearing rumors...

Click Here For A SpoilerMy comic book shop owner says that one of the big things that is going to be announced at the San Diego convention is that Shooter will take over Legion. A Legion that will not be the threeboot (and no, I don't know what that means, either)

[ September 07, 2007, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Discussed here and again here when it was said he would not be taking over the Legion.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, at this point an announcement that Shooter is taking over the title is about the only thing that could get me excited about the future of the Legion.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Discussed here and again here when it was said he would not be taking over the Legion.

I shouldn't have started a new topic on this. Maybe someone would like to merge some of these threads?
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
According to Tony Bedard on CBR:

quote:

I don't think you'll get booted one way or the other. And I expect DC to announce their plans for LEGION beyond issue 36 at San Diego or perhaps Chicago.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
According to Newsarama, it's official:

OFFICIAL: SHOOTER RETURNS TO DC'S LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultra lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultra lad   Email ultra lad         Edit/Delete Post     
is jim shooter writeup on newsrama sound like legion will get even better lets hope
From: texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess I'm about as excited about this as I can get. Yeah, it will be an even and something to see Shooter writing the Legion again. But will it last? It sounds like he has some good ideas and is ready though. I'll give him a fair shake, same as nearly any other writer on the title.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
This is excellent news.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Not to get too excited or anything but, because I don’t follow much outside the legion, what’s Shooter done recently in terms of comics writing and has it been any good?

I loved his original Legion stuff but if he repeats or retreads that sort of story will it really satisfy the modern audience? We and no doubt Jim himself have all moved on and matured can he produce a modern exciting take on the current legion that will appeal to readers or will we end up disappointed?

Issue 37 seems to be the start of his run so let’s see what comes out eh?

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I can take a deep breath, now. I've been on pins and needles about this announcement for weeks, even though all the clues pointed to Shooter.

In terms of the interview, I can't belive how GRACIOUS Shooter was. I mean, say what you like about him, but interviews often leave one with the inescapable conclusion that the guy's a conceited jerk. He only gets a little jerky talking about "new" artists. It's great to hear him speak so enthusiastically about Francis and Marts. Maybe he can teach Marts how to edit!

The thing that makes this exciting to me is that Jim always seemed to get intuitively that the Legion was club of people who at heart liked each other and would lay down their lives for each other, even if individual members were cliquey, catty, conceited or cruel. My biggest disappointment with Waid has been that he got the second part perfectly, but rarely the first part. You could never understand why Waid's Brainiac 5 would ever do ANYTHING to bail Waid's Cosmic Boy out of jam, or vice versa. I know nothing of Shooter's personal life, beyond the "13-year old" comics writer, but I get the impression that he was (and I hope still is) a keen observer of human nature who could translate that observation into great storytelling. The Legion was his high school club when he was in high school.

IF Shooter is successful this time around, I hope it is a spring board for cultivating new creative contributions to the Legion. Levitz, Waid and Shooter aren't going to live forever. Unfortunately, when we've seen younger talent on the book lately, they haven't always "gotten" the aspects of the concept that to me seem most important.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
BTW, does someone here have the Legion character descriptions that Shooter wrote and I THINK Tom and Mary Bierbaum distributed? I can't seem to find it in the Intertubes this morning. I remember it being very good and very insightful.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Right here DC.
doublechinner
Active

You're amazing, Scott! I am book-marking it this time.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Thanks! I'm also adding the info to our Encyclopedia Galactica.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.