Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter: It's Official (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Shooter: It's Official
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Not read the summary of his almost-happened Korvac sequel a couple of years back? [that got nixed when people actually threatened to quit over him going back to Marvel]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Lad Boy -- I didn't point to his 1976 thumbnails as a hoped-for roadmap to the current one, just an encouraging indicator that he has always thought carefully and lovingly about these characters. Remember, in 1976, sex was pretty much the only thing left to care about!.) While I am not sure I like it, I find his "Ultra Boy" sketch fascinating, and a very unique take on that character, even in 1976. Also, how interesting that Matter-Eater Lad's profile matches so closely to Bedard's portrayal.

Shooter can be a professional, and is of an earlier, more workmanlike generation than some of the current creative divas. His comment about changing the Legion "organically" over time is an example of this, I believe. Like Tamper, I imagine Shooter welcomes the challenge of taking the Legion where it is and going from there. After all, the Legion had a lot of history already when he started with it in 1966-67. You may not have liked the execution of Waid's Legion, but almost all the important pieces are there (except Bouncing Boy!).

Francis -- it is so great that Jim is so excited to work with you. He does not seem to hand out praise lightly (and he's pretty much entitled to be stingy with it).

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Shooter:

As I told Francis, "We own DC's future!" The Legion has all the advantages of being part of the same mythos that contains Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, et al, but very little of the burden. The Legion is a little chunk of the universe that breaks off cleanly, if you will, in which creators can keep their continuity tight and their world consistent.

Oh, please let that be the case before the crisis crossover of Amazons attacking Braininc 5 is published.

quote:
Shooter:

Second, I personally just don't like it when everything changes every time a new writer or artist comes along. For instance, Francis wants to do new costumes. I suggested that we introduce them organically, within the story, rather than in a reboot way.

Hurray!

quote:
Shooter:

Seriously, this issue is the beginning, the foundation of the arc that spans the 50th Anniversary year--which we mean to make special enough to deserve that honor.

A year long arc -- is that supposed to bring in new readers? Ugh!

quote:
Shooter:

I guess, if I had a choice, writing any of the household name characters would be most appealing

Hint: Clark Kent is a household name.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
The best thing I can think of to explain why Shooter will be a very welcome addition is that he really "gets" the Legion. They are teen/young adult HEROES. Not social misfits, not brats with super powers but heroes that see the good in people and use their powers to serve mankind as best they can.

Shooter has an incredible imagination and a great sense of timing in the comic book medium. Most of the comicbook stories I consider "the best of the best" are Legion stories written by Shooter. But most important of all, he loves these guys. They were his friends growing up and he will treat them with the respect and care they deserve.

Long Live The Legion!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! This *is* exciting! Makes me wonder about the LSH that'll be appearing in ACTION Comics in a couple of weeks, though. Could we actually be getting *two* LSH books set in alternate futures or different universes?

I wonder if Jim Shooter has written or is writing little blurbs like those from '76-- I'd love to see a glimpse of *those*!

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just re-read the Shooter character summaries. They're obviously replies to someone else's comments. That might account for the seeming preoccupation with sexual matters (I really hope his view of Dream Girl has changed...)

I'd like to see those original comments, too. I wonder if they were ongoing... if there was further 'dialogue'?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really excited about this. I know Jim can have an attitude at times (battling with the powers that be) which has cost him (his EiC position at Marvel, and getting dropped by Valiant when he made some comments to the prospective buyers... but he's always had a love of fun, intelligent super-hero stories!!

The first two years of Valiant was brilliance, right until the end of their "Unity" event, and then it all went to hell in a handbasket!

I met Jim over a dozen years ago at a book signing when he and David Lapham where doing Harbinger for Valiant. I worked at the CBS at the time, and Jim was real pleasant, signing tons of Valiant books for all the fans. At the end of the day I gave him a few books to sign too. At the bottom of the stack was Adventure Comics #346. [Karate Kid] [Princess Projectra] [Ferro Lad] [Nemesis Kid]

David Lapham took the issue and thumbed through it, laughing at the "simplicity" of the 60s. Jim said, "What do you expect, I was 13..." [Smile] [Smile]

It was a great day! And now, so is today. I find myself thoroughly excited to see where this ride is going to go! LLL!!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
will the rest of the comics buying public care
Jim Shooter's Valiant creations sold anywhere from 240 thousand to 90 thousand copies per issue, in 1991, and they seriously challenged DC and Marvel as the top publisher right out of the gate.

His Valiant Titles dominate the lists of the most important comics of the 90's.

Magnus started out selling 90k copies, and then the readership went up. The Legion readership hasn't gone up, just because of the writing, since the Great Darkness Saga...probably the only truly classic Legion arc not written by Shooter.

Jim Shooter was run out of Valiant and replaced by guys like...oh, Mark Waid and Keith Giffen, they didn't sell 90 thousand copies per issue...

That was from a brand new indy publisher featuring extremely obscure and brand new characters.

When Shooter was the EIC at Marvel, they brought fans back to comics, and flat out dominated DC, the most one sided the contest has ever been in Marvel's favor.

When Jim Shooter wrote the Legion, he inspired guys like Paul Levitz and Mark Waid to get into the industry. His Legion was the birthmother of organized fandom.

Something not talked about often dealing with the Shooter Swan era...

Jim Shooter wasn't just writing those stories, he was doing the layouts too, Swan just penciled over them. That was arguably the most critically acclaimed work of Swan's legendary career.

The last time Jim Shooter wrote the Legion, it bcame DC's top selling title(probably due to Grell).

Shooter creates iconic characters and I think most of the people that aren't excited about his return to this book, just don't realize how many elements of all the Legions he created, as a child.

His additions to the Legion, have fared better than the Legion itself. Mordru, all his alien races...these guys are doing well..it's the Legion that's not.

Best Legion news in a long long time IMO.

[ September 07, 2007, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
I'm really excited about this. I know Jim can have an attitude at times (battling with the powers that be) which has cost him (his EiC position at Marvel, and getting dropped by Valiant when he made some comments to the prospective buyers... but he's always had a love of fun, intelligent super-hero stories!!

The first two years of Valiant was brilliance, right until the end of their "Unity" event, and then it all went to hell in a handbasket!

I met Jim over a dozen years ago at a book signing when he and David Lapham where doing Harbinger for Valiant. I worked at the CBS at the time, and Jim was real pleasant, signing tons of Valiant books for all the fans. At the end of the day I gave him a few books to sign too. At the bottom of the stack was Adventure Comics #346. [Karate Kid] [Princess Projectra] [Ferro Lad] [Nemesis Kid]

David Lapham took the issue and thumbed through it, laughing at the "simplicity" of the 60s. Jim said, "What do you expect, I was 13..." [Smile] [Smile]

It was a great day! And now, so is today. I find myself thoroughly excited to see where this ride is going to go! LLL!!!

I agree.

A lot of creators have egos...Shooter's just more honest about his.

One thing about Valiant...he was Valiant Comics. When he left, they became standard independent fare.

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
hmmm does that mean that Jim will bring back Ferro Lad, Nemesis Kid, Dream Girl (back alive), and Mon-El into the Legion? How? that the question has me curious and reserved to see how Jim will write them in the Legion stories.....However there is one bright spot ( I really really hope that I am right this time *figner crossing*) that Jim will reintroduce the Legion of Espionage Squad, Legion of Substitute Heroes, Legion of Super Villains, etc etc!!!!!!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

OmniCraig, are you the guy that runs the Legion Omnicon Site that did the piece on Byrne's hatred of the Legion?

If so I wanted to add something to that...John Byrne hates Shooter and that's probably the source of his Legion hatred, regardless of what he says on his forums.

It's funny that Shooter gets a bad rap, but Byrne has been badmouthing guys and taking shots at them in Comics for his entire career...nice guys, like Chris Claremont.

Has anyone ever read Legends? If you ever decide to read it, take note of the StarBrand parody...that's Jim Shooter that Byrne is roasting. Whose leg he is blowing off.

Byrne actually went and took over StarBrand and killed the character(which many felt was a Shooter self portrait), and then he nuked the city of Pittsburgh(Shooter's home town) in that comic.

John Byrne is a petty mean spirited man and I don't have a doubt that he knew he was going to ruin the Legion with his needless retcon, and in doing so, destroy the most Legendary work of Shooter's career in the process.

I also bet, you won't see any work from him at DC now that Shooter is there. IMO, he was the guy that raised the biggest stink about Shooter's last Legion story that was in the works a few years ago.

Shooter > Byrne

Can't wait for this stuff.

I don't even care which Legion it is that Shooter writes...it's going to wind up being one of the best ones. It'll make sense. It'll have a coherent continuity, and it'll be intelligentally written by a master story teller, who was mentored by two of the finest minds ever produced by the Comics indistry in Stan Lee and Mort Weisenger.

Shooter's #1 way of fixing the Legion will be to tell great stories. That's always been his philosophy, and it's something he always succeeded at until he got sucked into office politics.

[ September 07, 2007, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Assuming his opinion of her hasn't changed since 1976, don't expect Dream Girl to come back. Of course Bedard could bring her back first.

=====
Posted from my BlackBerry

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This is the first I've been online today. I actually heard about this afternoon when I made my bi-weekly visit to the CBS.

At the very least, this will be interesting! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daryl
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daryl   Email Daryl         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I just read Shooter's thoughts on Wildfire:

"Bleah. How dull. A hothead, yes. A bright but juvenile person (?) who is dull, dull, dull."

I certainly hope his thoughts about my favorite character has changed.

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't get too concerned over those thumbnail remarks from Shooter. Put yourself into the mindset of a teen/tween male in the society of the 70s (with a number of inferiority/other family issues) when you read them. As over the top as many of them sound, the comments aren't too difficult to understand when looked at from that perspective. And I would point out that he didn't portray the Legionnaires that way when he wrote them.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.