Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter: It's Official (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Shooter: It's Official
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, how I hate some of those characterizations!
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm excited personally. While Jim was THE guy back in the day he's always been a progressive writer. It will be interesting to see which direction he is taking this. And I love Francis' work.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Crap! Just when I'd resolved to be all cynical and curmudgeonly about all things Legion...

YAY! JIM SHOOTER IS WRITING THE LEGION AGAIN!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like how he talked about characters becoming his favorite whenever he was writing them. It sounds like he'll at least have some individual personalities in mind when writing.

Interesting that rebooting was on the table. It sounds like that will always be an option. I wonder what about the threeboot Mr. Shooter considers to be a "good foundation." But, perhaps it's better that I don't know the details, so my disagreements with the writer are delayed as much as possible.

Another year-spanning arc? Well, I hope it's at least a good one.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flatulence Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatulence Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
<<< Really excited about this. I must admit, I'm very newschool...just to give y'all an idea of how new, I didn't get into the Legion until their Zero Hour reboot. With that said, I'm not familiar with Shooter's Legion and I'm not familiar with him as a writer in general. But even with that said, I'm still excited because this shows a commitment by DC to the Legion. Shooter sounds like he has some big things planned...it remains to be seen whether these things will be great, but it's good that there are things in the works to take this book to another level in the anniversary year...I just hope they succeed in doing it.

I'm also glad Shooter decided not to reboot. I'd rather see him try and creatively and organically remedy the things that aren't working in the current run than have to read more origin stories. Maybe if the Legion had a ton of continuity right now, but the series is still pretty new.

The new sketches by Francis are great! His art really makes the characters pop. I can't wait to pick up the new team's first issue.

[ September 07, 2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Flatulence Lad ]

Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
so glad this was finally announced! I'm really confident that Jim will knock this out of the ball park. I think the easy road would have been to reboot, but a "real" writer can take what he's given and turn it into gold. Long live the Legion [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say that I am not terribly excited about Jim Shooter writing the Legion. (plus his write up of the characters seemed too obsessed with sex. Hopefully he is past that now)

Hopefully by not having any expectations, I'll be pleasantly surprized.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I see Mort's little whippersnapper is back again.

Ok, I'll give him one more chance. [LOL]

Francis, you must be thrilled and Jim seems thrilled with you, too! Congratulations and best of luck!

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Prediction: Legion fandom's response to the new Shooter era as it unfolds will be...mixed at best.

I know...that's so out there, right?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Shooter's never been one to reboot. I get the impression that he's an old school creator that tried to work within the framework of past continuity. Some of the writers these days tend to throw everything out every 6 months.

In fact I think I'd lose respect for him if he didn't try to work with what's there. Much of the acrimony from his time as EiC of Marvel seems to be his insistence that creators work within the 'established rules' as interpreted by him. I think people tolerate or even admire demanding people but not hypocrisy.

I can't say I'm a big JS fan. Most of his major work was before my comic reading time, I think the only Marvel work of I've read is Secret Wars, but I'm excited because he and Francis seem to be bubbling with energy over this project.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
OMG!!!!!!

Have I died and gone to heaven?

Jim Shooter back on the Legion in time for the 50th Anniversary is absolutely perfect.

And best of all, he can reintroduce Condo!!!!! [Big Grin]

[Band] [Cheers]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
well, it seems most of Legion World is happy.

but here's the real question: will the rest of the DC buying public give a hoot? after all even the much despised(not my opinion, but examples abound on various message boards) Waid stuff started off in the low 60s and then dropped. which I imagine, was a combination of LSH fans not liking it, and Waid fans just not liking the LSH.

can Shooter please the core(the current 30,000 +) and bring in all those folks(at least several thousand) that just don't dig LSH?

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Honestly, at this point an announcement that Shooter is taking over the title is about the only thing that could get me excited about the future of the Legion.

Ditto.

But I *am* excited now. Am running over to read the Newsarama article ASAP.

This could really be something special.

Dr. One: Shooter's written a tremendous amount of stuff, but a good example of how he sees comics is to check out the Valiant line of comic books in the 1990's, many of which were suberb.

Update---okay, read the article. Even more excited. Shooter seems to have a lot of energy and a clear sense of what the Legion means.

[ September 07, 2007, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm more apprehensive than anything else. But nine times out of ten that's how I feel when I'm unfamiliar with a writer before they take over a book. And that's what I am with Shooter-- unfamiliar.

Sure, I've read some really interesting stuff about the history of his tenure at Marvel and, of course, I know about his runs on Legion, but I can't think of anything I've ever read written specifically by him. And, to be honest, it holds little appeal to me to go back and check it out because that was an age of different comics and it's one that I'm not especially interested in.

But if they're good stories-- or even just decent ones-- and it generates excitement about the threeboot, I'm behind it. Because I'm behind the threeboot in general. I'm glad we're not throwing it out, and I'm interested to see where Shooter takes the Legion for their anniversary.

My only real fear is that this will be like when Bilson and Demeo took over the Flash. Sure, it was kind of a shoddy premise to begin with (Bart was so not ready) but, well, y'know... I'd hate to see that again with characters I love. Just... no thanks.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
There's only one way to prove your fears wrong Cali (when the issues come out of course), but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this, and I felt exactly the same way you did when Bilson & Demeo took over Flash.

The thing is (I've read Shooter's stories), he understands things like sticking to established continuity & characterization while leaving room for things to grow organically in a new direction, as well as how to pace a comic book story to gain maximum excitement. Whereas the guys who took over Flash where really TV writers brought from outside the medium because they had experience writing a Barry Allen Flash TV show years after Barry died in the comics. What I mean is, he's a master of the comic book medium, so in terms of story-telling quality, it should be pretty good.

He's definately a forward-looking writer, which can help ease the fears of the fans of the threeboot Legion a bit I think (which to be honest, I am not).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.