Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter off Legion? (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Shooter off Legion?
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I still think this Legion series is ending with issue 50 and a new book will be starting with a new number 1 with whatever version of the team is the focus after Lo3W. It just seems to convientent that the 50th issue of the current series will come out so close to the final issue of the Lo3W mini to me.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Kahn:
I still think this Legion series is ending with issue 50 and a new book will be starting with a new number 1 with whatever version of the team is the focus after Lo3W. It just seems to convientent that the 50th issue of the current series will come out so close to the final issue of the Lo3W mini to me.

Heh. I liked the idea that they would restart with issue #600 rather than #1. [Smile]

Unfortunately they just miss the boat. Following the numbering that Nightcrawlwr supplied to Barry Kitson, (If the numbering continued from Superboy/Superboy & the LOSH/LOSH), issue #50 would be #603.

EDIT: Though I just realised that would mean that #600 would be #47...What is it about that magic "47"? [Smile]

[ June 03, 2008, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Paul Newell ]

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, no matter the outcome of L3W, I hope bridges aren't being burned between Shooter and DC. The consensus in many threads is that in general the DCU has been going downhill as a source of compelling stories (with several notable exceptions, of course) since Identity Crisis. It would do DC well to keep a proven universe-builder like Shooter in their writing stable to complement their current big gun, Geoff Johns. DC could certainly use more minds like Shooter crafting the DCU and less like Winick, for example. Legion or no, put Shooter on a few key titles and a big event or two, and the DCU would surely begin an upturn in quality. What better braintrust than Shooter, Morrison and Johns to do this?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Honestly, no matter the outcome of L3W, I hope bridges aren't being burned between Shooter and DC. The consensus in many threads is that in general the DCU has been going downhill as a source of compelling stories (with several notable exceptions, of course) since Identity Crisis. It would do DC well to keep a proven universe-builder like Shooter in their writing stable to complement their current big gun, Geoff Johns. DC could certainly use more minds like Shooter crafting the DCU and less like Winick, for example. Legion or no, put Shooter on a few key titles and a big event or two, and the DCU would surely begin an upturn in quality. What better braintrust than Shooter, Morrison and Johns to do this?

Don't forget Jim Starlin, James Robinson and Keith Giffen as universe builders... And I would love to see Ostrander and DeMatteis back swinging.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ostrander is definitely oustanding, and I am very much looking forward to Robinson's upcoming return. Robinson definitely seems to be coming back with a vengeance. Ostrander was always better, IMO, on more under the radar titles where he could spin his stories. But I'd certainly love to see more of that from him again beyond his recent Suicide Squad revival.

From what I hear, Starlin's recent DC stuff is hit or miss. No firsthand knowledge there.

Giffen has a good track record, too, though he's been a bit of a free agent of late, straddling DC, Marvel and some indies. Giffen with too much power scares me, though! [Big Grin]

DeMatteis...don't know if he really would want to return in a larger comics writing role. I think the way his style's evolved, he's more of a Vertigo type now, not so much a universe-builder.

Shooter--it's just a no-brainer that he could be a real shot in the arm for DC's line. He's probably built more universes than just about anyone. Quite a resume, he brings!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Ostrander is definitely oustanding, and I am very much looking forward to Robinson's upcoming return. Robinson definitely seems to be coming back with a vengeance. Ostrander was always better, IMO, on more under the radar titles where he could spin his stories. But I'd certainly love to see more of that from him again beyond his recent Suicide Squad revival.

Yes, indeed. In fact, I'll pass Secret Six just to prove how much I wanted a Suicide Squad back. And I don't think Rucka gets anywhere near him on what the Spectre is about.

quote:
From what I hear, Starlin's recent DC stuff is hit or miss. No firsthand knowledge there.

I liked both minis (Death of New Gods and Mystery In Space). This is where Starlin thrives, in big space stuff.
quote:

Giffen has a good track record, too, though he's been a bit of a free agent of late, straddling DC, Marvel and some indies. Giffen with too much power scares me, though! [Big Grin]

Giffen is DC exclusive now. And we shouldn't forget how he recreated the Justice League first and then the whole DC galaxy (at one point, he had GL, L.E.G.I.O.N. and LSH). It seems he is about to do the same for the magic side of DC now.
quote:

DeMatteis...don't know if he really would want to return in a larger comics writing role. I think the way his style's evolved, he's more of a Vertigo type now, not so much a universe-builder.

Not an Universe builder, for sure, but he is character-driven. I am missing this at DC now.

quote:
Shooter--it's just a no-brainer that he could be a real shot in the arm for DC's line. He's probably built more universes than just about anyone. Quite a resume, he brings!

Surely. But I don't see DC opening too many branches for him. Has he given any new interviews recently? None...
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
If you're talking universe-building, then I'd nominate Morrison up there. He's done so in the past with JLA, New X-Men & All-Star Superman. IMO he has a knack for moving characters & their stories forward.

Though dwelling more on rejuvenating ideas, I'd consider Johns a universe-builder in terms of his ability to mesh seemingly disparate elements into a coherent & believable whole.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I agree, Igee. I mentioned Morrison 5 posts above with Shooter and Johns!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... Superboy's posts at the bottom of the previous page have calmed me. His arguments plus DC giving Shooter's LSH the hardcover treatment tell me things are gonna be.... okay.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, am I the lonely voice in the wilderness here. I'll say this up front: don't hate me for my heresy.

I've been pretty bored by Shooter's run so far. I know that the business of comics is built around the trade paperback and multi-issue story arcs now, but what the heck is taking so long? Am I the only one who feels like thirty years ago Shooter would have banged this story out in 24 pages and created a classic in the process? Why is it taking the team more issues to put a stop to these attacks than it did to shut down Darkseid? Darkseid! Hell, these guys closed the door on Mordru in a single issue once (ok, so it wasn't a very good issue, but still...)

I'm plugging along here waiting for Shooter to get to the point. And to stop writing endless battle scenes. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I'm getting pretty bored with those.

All this is not to say that I'm cheering the Action Legion. That story was fun and all, but I'd rather move forward. Much as I love the Legions of the past, one of the draws of the book for me through the years has been the new spin that each new era brought to the overall story. I really enjoyed the work that WaK did on the 3boot. I was really hoping that Shooter would bring something new with him. So far, I haven't seen it.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
Wow, am I the lonely voice in the wilderness here. I'll say this up front: don't hate me for my heresy.

I've been pretty bored by Shooter's run so far. I know that the business of comics is built around the trade paperback and multi-issue story arcs now, but what the heck is taking so long? Am I the only one who feels like thirty years ago Shooter would have banged this story out in 24 pages and created a classic in the process? Why is it taking the team more issues to put a stop to these attacks than it did to shut down Darkseid? Darkseid! Hell, these guys closed the door on Mordru in a single issue once (ok, so it wasn't a very good issue, but still...)

I'm plugging along here waiting for Shooter to get to the point. And to stop writing endless battle scenes. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I'm getting pretty bored with those.

All this is not to say that I'm cheering the Action Legion. That story was fun and all, but I'd rather move forward. Much as I love the Legions of the past, one of the draws of the book for me through the years has been the new spin that each new era brought to the overall story. I really enjoyed the work that WaK did on the 3boot. I was really hoping that Shooter would bring something new with him. So far, I haven't seen it.

You are not the only one, as far as I've seen. But most of the criticism falls simply on pace. It's not the story and much less characterization. In fact, W&K was so much lacking on that it seemed about time a writer dealt with that.
I can say I don't feel this slowness, on the contrary. What I see is there is something very, very weird creeping on the background and - as a powerful enemy working on the background, it really should take some time for it to come up.
Meanwhile, I am so enjoying his portraits and Manapul's great dynamics... Definitely an enormous improvement over Waid and filler artists plaguing M&K run.

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Hmmm... Superboy's posts at the bottom of the previous page have calmed me. His arguments plus DC giving Shooter's LSH the hardcover treatment tell me things are gonna be.... okay.

I don't know for sure he is on the book...but I don't think Johnston does either.

You know someting no one mentioned...Shooter could be disappointed at the response to his return to the book and it could be a simple matter of pride.

Either way...I want to see his epic concluded. If DC gives up on it with no conclusion I'll be upset. And 6-7 months from now, a year total is plenty of time for Shooter to capture an audience if it's possible. IF the book starts selling...DC isn't going to cancel it or dump it.

DC isn't going to lightly toss away $$$, especially any without the Siegel tax on it.

IF they the see possiblity of Shooter launching an entire Valiant Future in the 30th century(as he is capable of doing), they won't pass on that either. And the scope of what he has planned could be that big.

I think Shooter is pretty much the last straw for DC...I suspect they'll give his Legion every chance to succeed right up until the end.

FWIW, Shooter's coming closest to pulling it off of all the Post Crisis guys IMO. He's just not getting the readers.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

I am currently reopening this subject due to this article here.
It now makes more sense to restate what my suspicions were: Shooter was virtually ran over by DiDio on Legion of 3 Worlds.
And to make it even clearer, Giffen states the mess in this GREAT Ambush Bug cameo, with an obligatory Legion reference:

Click for fullsize image

UPDATE: Thanks, Nightcrawler, for the editing! [Wink]

[ June 16, 2008, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo ]

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Wow, am I the lonely voice in the wilderness here.

I'm right there with you. I think it's been too long setting up an enemy that I don't find engaging.

The argument can be made that this is allowing Shooter more time to focus on the characters.

Unfortunately, I hate most of his characterizations.
Like everyone else, eagerly anticipating his run, but it's going south pretty quickly for me.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rouge:
quote:
Wow, am I the lonely voice in the wilderness here.

I'm right there with you. I think it's been too long setting up an enemy that I don't find engaging.

The argument can be made that this is allowing Shooter more time to focus on the characters.

Unfortunately, I hate most of his characterizations.
Like everyone else, eagerly anticipating his run, but it's going south pretty quickly for me.

Ditto me in too.

It lacks the freshness many/most Shooter concepts seem to have, and althogh some characterizations have been good, not all of them have.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.