Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter off Legion? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Shooter off Legion?
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
that would actually please me a great deal. perhaps something happened when i used my mind powers on dan didio at ECCC over the weekend. if this happens, i take full credit for this, is what i'm saying. but wasn't his term supposed to not be infinite anyways? wasn't it ahhh.. 16 issues or something anyways? do they mean "after his 16 issues" or "dropped right now"?

for people concerned about this legion dying forever, from what i understood from the newsarama interviews geoff johns did on legion of threeworlds, it would end with the legion being a compression of all three into one to form a new one.

in other words, we might get querl from one legion, cos* from another, saturn girl from the third. at least that how i understood what he was saying!

*btw, another thing that makes me cry about shooter's writing is his dropping of things from the previous storyline. like.. i dunno, finding cosmic boy.

as long as manapul's still on it i'm happy!

but i don't think it's true, as much as i wish it was.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
Well if this rumor is true and it does mean the end of the 3Boot book, and they keep it running until the Legion of 3 Worlds mini is done, then that would put the last issue at about issue 50. If that is the case I do hope that Shooter sticks around to finish the book out.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Karma ain't all it's cracked up to be. Shooter is no saint, for sure. I've reached a point in my life where I've made enough mistakes that I hope those to who I've been unkind will let it pass, and try to do the same for others. Shooter participating in the Legion's 50th anniversary year has nothing to do with old Marvel politics, and everything to do with honoring the innocent exuberance of a 13 year old boy who got his dream job, and contributed many classic elements to this thing we know as the Legion. Come on, Stealth, he did create that badass villian for the ages, Emerald Empress, who you have a bit of fondness for. Can you give him just a little bit of love?

[Emerald Empress - Animated]

When I made the post, I had convinced myself I was being irreverent, but in the light of day I can see it was the wrong thing to say at the wrong time, and that I was being petty because the Shvaughn fake-out of the most recent issue really pissed me off. Also because I think Shooter Mk. 3 got off to a great start, but for the last few issue, nothing's been engaging me other than the Projectra scenes. And also, one of the side-trips in the Lardy's Roundtable thread reminded me how much I hate the Cosmic Boy-hits-Light Lass scene from Shooter Mk. 2.

I would never deny Shooter the kudos he deserves for his host of important contributions to the Legion mythos during the Adventure Era. Jerry already mentioned Emerald Empress; there's also the rest of the Fatal Five, Shadow Lass, Projectra, Mordru, the Khunds, etc. At the same time, I think that Mort Weisinger deserves as much credit for that as Shooter does, and that, like many prodigies, Shooter never equalled his earliest work (partly because, for most of his adult career, he's had no one to answer to but himself, which only underlines the importance of Weisinger's guidance. Should Shooter's current editor, Mike Marts, shoulder some of the blame for Shooter Mk. 3 being unsatisfying? I sure think so.)

In short, I kicked Shooter while he was down instead of finding a better way to express myself. I hope this post goes a way towards correcting that.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I hope it's not true as fjm said.

Shooter is the only guy that's come close to writing an ejoyable Post Crisis Legion IMO...he's doing it.

I don't really understand why Shooter would be offended at DC brining the Pre Crisis Version...because Shooter is a huge part of the reason that version is so popular. I think Shooter understands the Legion so I don't see him gtting offended about this.

Here's the deal...the Lightning Saga started before Shooter was even on the book...it's not like they switched in mid stream...the original Legion was back before Shooter was.

As I mentioned elsehwere...a similar line of thinking to what Johns is doing was first done by Shooter back in SLOSH #223.

I don't see this as DC changing strategy on Shooter...he knew the LS Legion had appeared, he knew their anniversiary was coming...

All that said...I do want to know why he missed that con and was extremely disappointed he didn't make the con.

I hope Shooter is back with the Legion for a while...I don't care which version it is. His version is always good IMO.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Shooter's not creatively overprotective...if he was he'd have sued DC for all the characters he created for them as a minor...like the Parasite and Mordru.

Shooter has always had a corporate mentality and been success driven over creativity driven...this does not mean he's not a creative writer, he's an extremely creative writer when he focuses on that, but at the same time I don't really see him being offended at DC being interested in a version that sells...

I think that is exactly the type of decision that Shooter would understand in fact. He's been on that side of the ball...

Shooter tends to get defensive over corporate control...not creative control...I don't see this as being something he wouldn't get...I hope it isn't.

And I personally think Didio and Johns are probably both Shooter fans...Didio is definitely a fan of that Silver Age era and Johns was probably into Marvel when Shooter was EIC.

Anyway...I've also read Shooter's comments on the Legion...I think he's one of us that feels Superboy is important to the Legion, based on what I have read from him.

I just don't see DC wanting to publish the Action Legion as being something that

A. He wasn't aware of.
B. Would make him angry.

I hope it isn't...

[ May 13, 2008, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:
that would actually please me a great deal. perhaps something happened when i used my mind powers on dan didio at ECCC over the weekend. if this happens, i take full credit for this, is what i'm saying. but wasn't his term supposed to not be infinite anyways? wasn't it ahhh.. 16 issues or something anyways? do they mean "after his 16 issues" or "dropped right now"?

for people concerned about this legion dying forever, from what i understood from the newsarama interviews geoff johns did on legion of threeworlds, it would end with the legion being a compression of all three into one to form a new one.

in other words, we might get querl from one legion, cos* from another, saturn girl from the third. at least that how i understood what he was saying!

*btw, another thing that makes me cry about shooter's writing is his dropping of things from the previous storyline. like.. i dunno, finding cosmic boy.

as long as manapul's still on it i'm happy!

but i don't think it's true, as much as i wish it was.

I think you are mistaken. In no interview Johns has implied there will be one amalgam of Legions. What is clear from his interviews is that the 3 versions are from different worlds. So, I doubt very much that the fate of the LSH is not tied to Final Crisis big time, as Johns' last interview has pointed out very clearly. If one of each survives, we can always get a different one from one of the other 40-something worlds available. Why not LSH from Kingdom Come?
In fact, most people were in shock when Giffen mentioned the "hat trick" during his run. Editorial vetoed that then.

I also don't think Shooter has dropped Cos plot. He has mentioned in a couple of issues that Cos is indeed missing. And I am pretty sure his disappearance has got to do with Time Trapper and Final Crisis: L3W.

Oh, and Action Legion IS NOT THE ORIGINAL LEGION. That would be TMK's Legion.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
No the Original Legion Died when John Byrne's Man of Steel came out,AND THE LAST PERSON TO WRITE THE ORIGINAL LEGION WAS PAUL LEVITZ.

Paul Levitz quote after reading the 4 or 5 years that had been done after his run--in a weekend,That would be TMK's Legion (I don't think I've had a more painful weekend that I didn't spend in a Hospital)

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
No the Original Legion Died when John Byrne's Man of Steel came out,AND THE LAST PERSON TO WRITE THE ORIGINAL LEGION WAS PAUL LEVITZ.

Paul Levitz quote after reading the 4 or 5 years that had been done after his run--in a weekend,That would be TMK's Legion (I don't think I've had a more painful weekend that I didn't spend in a Hospital)

Well, if that is the case, you are wrong. Byrne's MOS happened when LSH v4 was already on issue 3. Technically, that makes v4 still the last version of Legion. And as any reader can notice, v4 had a retcon, but not a reboot.
As for your last sensence, I really couldn't understand it. Sorry.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
gee, it would be really nice if LSH had an editor that cared enough to make a clarifying statement. if nothing else it might bring the book(s) some attention and sales.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Pre-Crisis Legion = Original Legion, When Kal-El was removed from the Legion it was no longer the ORIGINAL LEGION.

And Levitz was saying TMK's so called version of the Legion made him Sick.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Pre-Crisis Legion = Original Legion, When Kal-El was removed from the Legion it was no longer the ORIGINAL LEGION.

And Levitz was saying TMK's so called version of the Legion made him Sick.

So I am still right: up until LSH v4 3...
I've never seen such quote from Levitz. It seems in fact very far fetched from his gentle character. However, his opinions wouldn't change the fact that the 5-Year-Gap is still within the old chronology.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
When I made the post, I had convinced myself I was being irreverent, but in the light of day I can see it was the wrong thing to say at the wrong time, and that I was being petty because the Shvaughn fake-out of the most recent issue really pissed me off. Also because I think Shooter Mk. 3 got off to a great start, but for the last few issue, nothing's been engaging me other than the Projectra scenes. And also, one of the side-trips in the Lardy's Roundtable thread reminded me how much I hate the Cosmic Boy-hits-Light Lass scene from Shooter Mk. 2.

I would never deny Shooter the kudos he deserves for his host of important contributions to the Legion mythos during the Adventure Era. Jerry already mentioned Emerald Empress; there's also the rest of the Fatal Five, Shadow Lass, Projectra, Mordru, the Khunds, etc. At the same time, I think that Mort Weisinger deserves as much credit for that as Shooter does, and that, like many prodigies, Shooter never equalled his earliest work (partly because, for most of his adult career, he's had no one to answer to but himself, which only underlines the importance of Weisinger's guidance. Should Shooter's current editor, Mike Marts, shoulder some of the blame for Shooter Mk. 3 being unsatisfying? I sure think so.)

In short, I kicked Shooter while he was down instead of finding a better way to express myself. I hope this post goes a way towards correcting that.

It does. Very nice post. We wouldn't be Legion World without some irrerevance and our strong opinions. You are right that Weisinger's role shouldn't be overlooked (and, unfortunately, often is). The Shvaughn cover switch upset me too.

Don't we have some threads on the Cosmic Boy slap somewhere?
I was a kid when it was published, and sadly, didn't bat an eye at it or realize how disturbing it was until years later. Do you think that Grell's artwork made it made it appear more graphic and brutal than Shooter imagined it? Not that that excuses it, but I've come to assign as much responsibilty to Grell for the insensetivity as Shooter.

[ May 14, 2008, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
[QUOTE]
I was a kid when it was published, and sadly, didn't bat an eye at it or realize how disturbing it was until years later. Do you think that Grell's artwork made it made it appear more graphic and brutal than Shooter imagined it? Not that that excuses it, but I've come to assign as much responsibilty to Grell for the insensetivity as Shooter.

ah, knowing how detailed dc's scripts are, i would say that this is shooter's responsibility. also, it's not like the writer doesn't see the pages before they're handed off to an inker, the writer ALWAYS looks at pages before they're done to make sure there's no confusion (i can tell you cute stories with translation problems with overseas/english-as-a-second-language artists). also, it goes by an editor as well.

so, having worked as an editor, i would really assign responsibility to the editor and the writer... but as an artist, i personally feel it's an artist's job to speak up when something is inappropriate. If the artist doesn't want to talk to the writer directly, they can talk to the editor and then there's more people to talk to if that doesn't work out. it's just like any job where there's something shady going on.

now... THAT said, sometimes i think even an INKER or a COLORIST is at fault for the presentation of a scene! particularly breast depiction seems to change somewhere between a penciller and the finished product.

anyways... i blame shooter and the editor because i dislike him and I'm 5.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
the point of the Legion is that they are kids!

since when? i think that during most of the "original legion" run, they were all grown-ups.
i think that the point of the legion is that they send a message of peace and tolerance.

i'd be sad too to see shooter end his run on the legion. but what i really want to see is an action comics legion ongoing, no matter who writes it!

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
As long as there is a recognizable Legion, I will likely read it.

My preference:

A Johnny DC Legion

A DCU Legion (Lightning Saga legion if some non-overly-insulting continuity can be constructed)

A Wildstorm Legion (preferably the Threeboot Legion -- Bedard/Calero vision, but more likely the Legion that's currently in Dreamwar)

oh -- and a cartoon and more Happy Meal toys . . . and a real flight ring and a puppy

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.