Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Shooter off Legion? (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Shooter off Legion?
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
For me, it is just the contrary. He has finally nailed what made LSH a decent book before 1994. Dense storytelling, long winding plots, multiple focus, characterization over "fist fighting".
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daxamite
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daxamite   Email Daxamite         Edit/Delete Post     
I totally agree. here we are over 40 issues into the series, and we're just starting to find out who these characters are. that's an amazing lack of characterization by the previous writers. Unfortunately, I don't see the series lasting beyond L3W, so I don't think Shooter will get to the point he wanted to.

To me, that's a good thing. I don't know who Element Lad is anymore, and without Bouncing Boy, the Legion has no humanity. So, I'm looking forward to a return to a semblance their former selves, even if it's not exactly the same.

Too bad for Shooter though, the stories are good, and the characterization even better. He landed on a train that was already out of control, and wasn't given the time to right it. If allowed to continue, in a year from now, this would be a great book and all the Waid mistakes would be written over.

Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
Originally posted by rouge:
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
Wow, am I the lonely voice in the wilderness here.

I'm right there with you. I think it's been too long setting up an enemy that I don't find engaging.

The argument can be made that this is allowing Shooter more time to focus on the characters.

Unfortunately, I hate most of his characterizations.
Like everyone else, eagerly anticipating his run, but it's going south pretty quickly for me.

Ditto me in too.

It lacks the freshness many/most Shooter concepts seem to have, and althogh some characterizations have been good, not all of them have.

Me too. I had high hopes for Shooter's run but its left me pretty cold so far. I've been really shocked at the posters who have reacted so positively to it. Subjective and all that, but I'm really not enjoying this run that much at all other than the outstanding art. Legion is definitely not one of DC's strongest books right now.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so bored with those monsters!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Maritimer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Maritimer   Author's Homepage   Email the Maritimer         Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately, nowadays, you have to do six issue arcs to fit in a trade paperback, hence long boring stories. During the Adventure era you would get excellent one or two issue stories, like the induction of KK,PP,FL and NK, the intro of the Fatal 5 and Suneater story or the Mordru two parter which is Superboy's favorite story and one of mine. I know I certainly would like shorter events so more characters could get used in different situations.
From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know, but I don't see how we can relate long to boring necessarily. Levitz used to write very long stories, almost none of them boring. On the other hand, Judd Winick write "fast paced stories" most of them incredibly dull.
Also, we can't compare those early LSH stories in terms of character development to what is currently expected in a comic book. Either you will do something incredibly ethereal such as ALL-STAR Superman or you will be seen as simplistic.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Shooter's subplots are great, but his entire runs seems to consist of nothing but. Yeah, the alien androids are a big (often boring) threat, and no one knows why? We get it. 3 issues -- max would have been fine. Or better yet, tell some big stories while this is happening in the background and build up to it.

The characterization is ... different. Not bad, a bit out there at times.

I do wish he would have added to the membership or brought back some old favorites right up front.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
More on Shooter's leaving of Legion.....

"It is true that there has been creative, editorial and suit divides at DC over DiDio's actions of late. Jim Shooter quit “Legion" (though leaving enough scripts so that no one will notice for quite some time)."

Full article is here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16910

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

... which is exactly what we have thought at other topic discussions. He's been out at least since L3W has leaked (and I bet without his knowledge - even a different editorial team is dealing with it).
Shame on DC...

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.